• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes because people shouldn't have known what they were gonna get until after they bought it, fuck GF for doing this if anything comes out of it. Should they have leaked it no but they did it because GF was falsely advertising inadvertently by not releasing the info themselves.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta catch'em all Leakermons!

Twitter leaker!
4chan /vp/ leaker!
Indonesian leaker!

Typical corporate over-reaction.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was crazy I was at a concert two weeks before the games came out and twice I saw people looking at leaks and discussing them loudly while I was trying to go in as blind as possible. Really hoping the leakers get caught and made examples of but not to a life ruining extent. It's one thing for leaks to pop up a couple days before a release but more than two weeks in advance is extreme.
This is some late stage capitalism shit.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
erm how about just don't give the game out to 'Influencers' that has been how the majority of these leaks have happened...

Nov 15, 2018
The leaks let me make an informed decision on not to buy it. It was a good thing it did leak. My specific favorites missing from the game, no GTS, no postgame, no battle frontier, poor story, etc. These are things that Gamefreak avoided to inform us about.

Last time I avoided spoilers was for ORAS, and I got burned for it when I found out the hard way that there was no Battle Frontier. I never thought the remake would be worse than the one 10 years ago.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Never side with giant corporations on shit like this. Irreparable damages my fucking ass.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
It was crazy I was at a concert two weeks before the games came out and twice I saw people looking at leaks and discussing them loudly while I was trying to go in as blind as possible. Really hoping the leakers get caught and made examples of but not to a life ruining extent. It's one thing for leaks to pop up a couple days before a release but more than two weeks in advance is extreme.
dude

rethink this

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like what the leakers did but in this case I am not angry with it because TPC had terrible communication
If TPC did a good job communicating with their fans I would be on their side but they brought this on themselves

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yes because people shouldn't have known what they were gonna get until after they bought it, fuck GF for doing this if anything comes out of it. Should they have leaked it no but they did it because GF was falsely advertising inadvertently by not releasing the info themselves.

... you do realize reviewers exist, right? No one is making you buy the game first. At all. If you were on the fence you should have waited and saw how other people liked it, which is generally how the consumption of media works.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Think a lot of people are reading too much into "irreparable injury." It's essentially legalese for "The leak took us by surprise, did something we had to work around, and you can't un-leak something."

That said I could see sales data being at least an argument to keep things minimal, especially since they'd have to somehow prove missing sales or some shit.

People get pretty stupid thirsty for fame in general; internet fame at least means your name's everywhere at once.

Also no one ever anticipates getting caught.

Yeah, "irreparable injury" in lawyers jargon does not mean it is serious or severe, it means "the type of harm which no monetary compensation can cure or put conditions back the way they were".

According to the definition, once something has had a leak you can't go back to the way they were before.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What damages, though? Like, what are the damages?

Do they think they would have sold more opening day if people didn't learn about the games problems? They're the fastest selling Switch games anyway, aren't they?

Like, is the belief "people found out about our game a week early, and when they saw it, they didn't buy it"? Is that really a case you can make? Especially when you have such strong sales in spite of it.

Edit: I guess it's for leaking pictures from the strategy guide which would be protected under NDA. Breach of contract us one thing, but what would the irreparable damages be?

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What if the early reviews do not have access to the game's online features and are unable to talk about a significant alteration to online trading?

Like what actually happened?

Then you wait until they're activated. No one is forcing you to buy the game on day one.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't most of the flood of info happen after people datamined the game once it was uploaded to the eshop servers using homebrewed Switches? So in a way didn't Nintendo leak that themselves?

That, or copies sold through stores that broke street date.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, "irreparable injury" in lawyers jargon does not mean it is serious or severe, it means "the type of harm which no monetary compensation can cure or put conditions back the way they were".

I obviously don't love it when large companies try to threaten folks with lawsuits, but yeah, this isn't inherently more scary than threatening someone with a suit on the basis of violating NDAs. That said, while I don't blame them necessarily wanting to find out who had the access to the company's information, I don't know it justifies a lawsuit.

Remember how we didn't find out the Global Trade System was removed until the games were leaked?

Didn't most of the flood of info happen after people datamined the game once it was uploaded to the eshop servers using homebrewed Switches? So in a way didn't Nintendo leak that themselves?

My understanding was that stuff like GTS data was people with modded switches poking into the code of the prerelease download copies of the game, whereas everything from the 4chan poster was just pre-empting press copy and ads.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
i mean we're looking at the same company that did this:

The Pokemon Company are suing a fan for putting on an 'unofficial' cosplay party

also: how will they prove this caused damage? i'd have thought some kind of NDA/contract break would be an easier win

pokemon lawyers are kinda dicks. One of my artist friends just got a C&D from them for making pokemon art and selling it at conventions. Meanwhile convention floors are wall to wall people selling all kinds of fan art from other anime, to marvel, and DC. Nothing happens to them. It's not even like my friend has an enormous following. They also forced her to take any Pokémon related stuff off her social media

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
... you do realize reviewers exist, right? No one is making you buy the game first. At all. If you were on the fence you should have waited and saw how other people liked it, which is generally how the consumption of media works.
I doubt 6 million people watch or read reviews, it's not about being on the fence, you should know what you're buying regardless. Don't defend bad practice, I love Pokémon but they did not do right by their fans marketing wise. Let's not also forget that most reviewers didn't get a copy day 1 so that isn't the best argument either way.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are focusing too much on the "irreparable damages" bit.

Even if they could prove damages, they wouldn't get them because they're suing a couple people on Discord and 4Chan. They aren't seeking money, they're just making themselves look as threatening as possible to make sure this never happens again.

Also irreparable damages is just basic legalese and whoever they end up suing wouldn't be able to do much about it because they won't have money for better lawyers than TPCi (given that they're randos on Discord and 4Chan).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I obviously don't love it when large companies try to threaten folks with lawsuits, but yeah, this isn't inherently more scary than threatening someone with a suit on the basis of violating NDAs. That said, while I don't blame them necessarily wanting to find out who had the access to the company's information, I don't know it justifies a lawsuit.

My understanding was that stuff like GTS data was people with modded switches poking into the code of the prerelease download copies of the game, whereas everything from the 4chan poster was just pre-empting press copy and ads.
Exactly, the word "irreparable injury" sounds more serious than it is but it doesn't really mean "it has cost us a lot of millions", it means what literally means "A damage that cannot be solved." And it is true because once a leak is on the internet you cannot make it disappear.

Oct 26, 2017
It can potentially give a false impression of the game if the leakers deliberately chose to present it in a negative light. Thus damaging the brand.

People would look at sales then, and clearly, selling 6mil in one weekend (which was referenced as being the fastest selling Switch software) didn't do much to damage impressions.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just announced:

Finding all leakers is too much effort, going forward TPC will only find a fixed amount of leakers per game.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
How is it irreparable? the fuck y'all sold 6 million copies? Also have a really good chance of literally nothing from that 4chan subpoena they wipe their IP logs after 3 weeks.

These people probably VPN'd on both services.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, letting people know there's no GTS is such serious business. Give me a break.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
What damages, though? Like, what are the damages?

Do they think they would have sold more opening day if people didn't learn about the games problems? They're the fastest selling Switch games anyway, aren't they?

Like, is the belief "people found out about our game a week early, and when they saw it, they didn't buy it"? Is that really a case you can make? Especially when you have such strong sales in spite of it.

If the angle is lost potential profit then yeah, good_luck.gif. Especially now that sales data is out.

If, however, the angle is that it's a security breach, and that the info was confidential..... yeah, they're still being bullish as shit but they at least have a teeny bit more ground to work with.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I guess they want to scare future leakers, but that's just too much.
The thing is, "scaring" leakers doesn't actually work in practice. Nobody leaks with the expectation that they'll get caught.

See what happened at Netherrealm Studios with the higher-ups yelling at and threatening their employees for Injustice 2 leaks. It didn't stop leaks from continuing, it only made the developers at NRS miserable.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbf I get where they're coming from, most of the people who spread the leaks said the new Pokémon all looked atrocious, while it seems most of us who played it enjoyed the new creatures.

No people mostly liked them and also praised them before official release. It's that they spread that there is nothing big to do in the game, who is the game and some more details.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
If you want to play with platitudes: "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." I don't see how they're at all even, though. Potentially have your livelihood ruined because you leaked information in a video game that sold millions of copies. I just don't see why you'd take the side of a company over individuals. I don't think the leaks are a good idea, either, but they don't deserve to be financially destroyed over it.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
pokemon lawyers are kinda dicks. One of my artist friends just got a C&D from them for making pokemon art and selling it at conventions. Meanwhile convention floors are wall to wall people selling all kinds of fan art from other anime, to marvel, and DC. Nothing happens to them. It's not even like my friend has an enormous following. They also forced her to take any Pokémon related stuff off her social media
I'm not seeing any issue with this.

Jun 2, 2019

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

It's kind of weird. Usually Japanese companies are not only very lawsuit-averse but also tend to condone the quasi-commercial creative fan cultures surrounding their creative works. Feels like the wrong thing to focus on in comparison to, say, all the low-quality bootleg copies of Pokemon games that have filled online reseller markets over the last decade-plus. My kingdom for legit copies of Ruby and Sapphire...