• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Update: Bungie Responds

Theres been recent posts all over the Destiny community lately about Destiny 3 removing PVP.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ucible-altogether-for-destiny-3/#1da6507e78c8

The rumor is this:

Destiny 3 is considering dropping PvP and traditional Crucible

They are instead looking at something that works potentially like The Division's Dark Zone blending PvP and PvE

These rumblings have been bolstered by the fact that Bungie has recently seen the departure of two high-profile team members Jon Weisnewski and Josh Hamrick, both senior gameplay designers who spent a lot of time in the sandbox balancing Crucible.

However, it's been pretty clear that Bungie has been struggling with the Crucible for a while now. Players just have never seemed to like Destiny 2's Crucible as much as D1's, even with lots of changes. Trials was killed off last year and seems unlikely to ever return. Crucible Labs was an experiment that fizzled quickly. Even the Crucible team seems MIA, offering no updates about the future of the mode (and now major members of it have left). So far, none of the Annual Pass content has anything really to do with Crucible, outside of a few exotic quest steps and some Iron Banner tweaks.

Content creators for Destiny have also been worried about the state of PVP for Destiny 3

I think Destiny would be in really bad shape if PVP was ever removed for Destiny. It is what keeps the game alive during content droughts.

The game still has almost a 50/50 split between PVP and PVE.

PVP still has about 500-550k players daily, where PVE has about 600k. (According to Destinytracker)

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remove it. Make gambit your pvp mode and put more resources into giving us pve content like foresaken. It's not worth putting the effort into a sub par mode.

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't do this.
PVP was what you would do when you were out of things to do for the week with PVE.

That being said, PVP should have its own separate progression line and everything should be balanced very specifically to pvp.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not gonna happen, It does huge numbers in spite of Bungie.

It's also a massive part of the game's identity, seriously, where is this coming from? been hearing grumblings about this all week long.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
It's still totally insane to me that the developers of the most iconic multiplayer console shooters of all time haven't been able to figure out compelling PVP in Destiny.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably be back if they focused solely on PvE content. I don't care all about the Crucible and only play through the PvE content.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the reason I played Destiny 2 as much as I did was PvP in Crucible. If it's not in D3, I won't get the game. Simple as that.

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer Destiny with no PVP cause they wouldn't have to keep fucking with PVE to balance PVP but I do not see this happening at all.

There are way too many people in the playerbase that would be pissed. Imagine them cancelling Trials then never bringing it back after saying they're working on fixing it.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
The PvP in Destiny has poor balance because they never treated PvE and PvP separately. If they actually treated PvP as a separate thing with its own specific balancing and such, it would be a fair more enjoyable experience. PvE makes PvP unbalanced, and then they nerf gear for PvP which also nerfs for PvE. PvE and PvP being tied together both negatively impact each other. I don't think it is likely that they'll ever want to split them up balance-wise, and I'd much rather they kill PvP entirely and give me more PvE content instead of continuing to push PvP as part of the game.

I would say it is likely that a fair amount of people do PvP not of fun but necessity. The game arbitrary forces you into that content to gear up from dailies/weeklies and quests. Exotic-forced PvP quests are some of the worst parts of Destiny 2.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
As someone who absolutely hates Destiny PvP with every fiber of their being, the ideal solution is not to remove it entirely.

But rather to offer alternatives to the loot/goals that usually are locked behind PvP. I hate that I'm essentially given a choice of playing modes that I absolutely do not get any enjoyment out of to get a particularly good weapon/make progress with a quest or just say "fuck it" and ignore that thing altogether.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I played more PvP in Destiny 1/2 than the PvE. It's not the greatest PvP, but it's still fun.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I won't believe this rumor until Destiny 3 arrives without PvP. It is far too big a part of the game to drop.

Personally, I think I spend about 70% of my Destiny time in Crucible.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want them to double down on pvp and go back to there routes with it, it would be cool if they introduced custom games and a forge like feature

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't care if it removed it personally, Not like i play it much anyway when i have done all the PvE content.

Saying that the PvE content gets done really fast and is alot of repeating the same missions.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cool with me. easily the least appealing part of the game. i only ever played it to clear quest milestones, and even then i couldn't get through some of those.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they stupidly adhere to the lame brained notion that the game should play the same in PvP and PvE, both will suffer. If cutting PvP loose means PvE no longer has to suffer the constant nerfs dictated by imbalances present in PvP, then kill it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the PvP in Destiny, but I know there's a large audience for it. I'm conflicted though, because as a fan of the PvE in Destiny, the PvP absolutely impacts the PvE in a negative aspect. Every time a gun or ability is OP in PvP, they nerf it in both PvP and PvE.

PvP in a loot-based game also only just reinforces the idea of finding a meta and sticking to it. Which guns are the flavor in the month in PvP, and how do I obtain them?

I hope they get rid of it, but I really don't see them doing that, especially to just replace it with something even worse like the Dark Zone, which is The Division 1 and 2's worst aspect. Ideally, they would scrap PvP entirely, which would mean more content for PvE, and less stupid balance changes.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The PvP in Destiny has poor balance because they never treated PvE and PvP separately. If they actually treated PvP as a separate thing with its own specific balancing and such, it would be a fair more enjoyable experience. PvE makes PvP unbalanced, and then they nerf gear for PvP which also nerfs for PvE. PvE and PvP being tied together both negatively impact each other. I don't think it is likely that they'll ever want to split them up balance-wise, and I'd much rather they kill PvP entirely and give me more PvE content instead of continuing to push PvP as part of the game.
I completely agree with your end conclusion, because I have zero interest in PVP

But why do you say the bolded part? It's not hard for Bungie to completely separate the PVE/PVP abilities and balance

Juzzomac

Oct 27, 2017
It would be a damn shame if a Bungie shooter didn't have PvP.

Destiny 2 went in the wrong direction with the focus on teamshotting and 4v4, but Destiny 1 Y1 PvP was some of the most fun I've had on gaming. You actually felt powerful and your skill determined outcomes in engagements, not simply numbers.

They just need to completely seperate PvP and PVE balancing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Even as a lapse, destiny fanatic, some sort of pvp is essential because content drops are few and far between. Once you clear your weeklies on Tuesday, you have nothing else to do that will raise your light and need a distraction.

What they need to do is separate the modes so they don't have to balance both at the same time, like the community has been SCREAMING at them to do since launch and I can't wait to see them fuck it it up and not do so in D3. They can tie some sort of progression system into into it that benefits the pve side, but dropping it all together I think is silly.

Bungie can't produce enough content with 800 people, so axing the mode that has people playing for hundreds of hours on the same handful of maps will only make that more obvious.

Nov 14, 2017
I like that Paul Tassi writes about Destiny, but he consistently has the worst takes on the game from any publication I read. He recently had an article complaining about enhancement cores where he moaned about not having enough cores to upgrade his weapons every time he got a new drop a few points higher. Like, that's not at all how you should be upgrading your weapons!

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of ditching it they should just find a team of people that are either more passionate or more capable to manage the crucible. Throughout Destiny's life crucible has felt overlooked.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I would say it is likely that a fair amount of people do PvP not of fun but necessity. The game arbitrary forces you into that content to gear up from dailies/weeklies and quests. Exotic-forced PvP quests are some of the worst parts of Destiny 2.

I dunno. There are guns that are somewhat better than others, but ultimately PvP is about skill more than anything. I don't recall PvP in D2 being completely broken outside of laser tag week. There are metas, but that's what it's like for every competitive game.

The biggest issue with its PvP has been matchmaking (team balancing) being utter shite.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Actually a fair few people actually enjoy the PVP. Fighting against other guardians presents a better challenge than dumb aliens who bum-rush you

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie can barely handle the PvP as it is right now. With all the rumors of Destiny 3 going full RPG, it would be a total shitshow.

Also we've seem PvE weapons and classes butchered because it was OP in PvP, and vice versa. Bungie has shown they do not know how to handle both PvE and PvP at the same time.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Couldn't have said it better myself. The 2 modes contradict each other in such a way that if a weapon is really powerful in PvE it would likely mean that the weapon in question is also extremely OP in PvP resulting in Bungie nerfing the gun for both modes. The other problem is the state of PvP in Destiny was always that Bungie would nerf an OP weapon and overnight a new OP weapon would rise to take it's place.

If they want to make a PvP mode that's balanced and fun they'd have to make it a separate thing from PvE.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Crucible has never been properly balanced, it's a mess right now and it was badly received when they tried to balance it properly.

I'd understand their choice if it meant a good focus in the PvE space.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Do it. If people want to play crucible Destiny 2 has like a billion maps now. More PvE sprinkled with a little PvP ala Gambit sounds amazing. Also this kind of lines up with that Destiny 3 leak from last week even though there was no mention of dropping crucible in that leak

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I completely agree with your end conclusion, because I have zero interest in PVP

But why do you say the bolded part? It's not hard for Bungie to completely separate the PVE/PVP abilities and balance

Simply put, it is a lot of work to balance things separately like that. It isn't as easy as simply flipping some sort of switch. I don't imagine they want to dedicate or allocate more resources to a balance team to handle each mode separately. It'd make more sense for them to de-emphasize the balance overhead as much as possible so they can allocate resources to game content which is the thing they've struggled with the most, generally. Budget-wise, the perspective from managers is likely that it is better to spend more money developing content than it is spending more money balancing because content is generally has a direct correlation to more revenue from season pass, DLC, etc.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't complain about this. Destiny PvP is absolute trash. Even moreso now that you die instantly. But all they really need to do is stop balancing PvE around PvP. I don't imagine PvP actually takes much of a toll on their resources.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Would be fine by me. I think Destiny 2 has ok PvP, but I mostly only did it to earn rewards so I could do better in PvE. While Anthem ended up being a disappointment, one of the things that attracted me to it pre-release was that there was no PvP. Games end up having to balance around PvP, which ends up affecting PvE many times.

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is its still hard for them to balance it. Nova Warp a subclass that was totally dominant in PVP is now totally useless in PVE cause they nerfed it.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

This balancing has and does already take place. Bungie has the ability to tune PvE vs PvP damage numbers differently.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
That giant sucking sound is the sound of Crucible addicts running back to Daddy 💦 Microsoft to play whatever Halo Infinite has in store.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
It is and hence ludacris to even consider, simply separate the two,

But separate for what exactly? They already tune numbers, i.e. "bringing up these values in PVE to compensate".

I find a lot of the time people just want to blame PvP for certain things getting hit, or because they just don't like it in general. The power fantasy is completely in the hands of bungie and has very little to do with PvP as a barrier.