• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
More of this. Let none of these anti-Democratic snakes find stability again.

That Donald Trump devolved from commander-in-chief to liar-in-chief didn't surprise Forbes: As we've chronicled early and often, for all his billions and Barnum-like abilities, he's been shamelessly exaggerating and prevaricating to our faces for almost four decades. More astonishing: the number of people willing to lend credence to that obvious mendacity on his behalf.

In this time of transition – and pain – reinvigorating democracy requires a reckoning. A truth reckoning. Starting with the people paid by the People to inform the People.

As someone in the business of facts, it's been especially painful to watch President Trump's press secretaries debase themselves. Yes, as with their political bosses, spins and omissions and exaggerations are part of the game. But ultimately in PR, core credibility is the coin of the realm.

From Day One at the Trump White House, up has been down, yes has been no, failure has been success. Sean Spicer set the tone with the inauguration crowd size – the worst kind of whopper, as it demanded that people disbelieve their own eyes. The next day, Kellyanne Conway defended Spicer's lie with a new term, "alternative facts." Spicer's successor, Sarah Huckabee Sanders lied at scale, from smearing those who accused Trump of sexual harassment to conjuring jobs statistics. Her successor, Stephanie Grisham, over the course of a year, never even held a press conference, though the BS continued unabated across friendly outlets. And finally, Kayleigh McEnany, Harvard Law graduate, a propaganda prodigy at 32 who makes smiling falsehood an art form. All of this magnified by journalists too often following an old playbook ill-prepared for an Orwellian communication era.

As American democracy rebounds, we need to return to a standard of truth when it comes to how the government communicates with the governed. The easiest way to do that, from where I sit, is to create repercussions for those who don't follow the civic norms. Trump's lawyers lie gleefully to the press and public, but those lies, magically, almost never made it into briefs and arguments – contempt, perjury and disbarment keep the professional standards high.

So what's the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don't let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump's liars don't merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump's fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We're going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we'd approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world's biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.

This isn't cancel culture, which is a societal blight. (There's surely a nice living for each of these press secretaries on the true-believer circuit.) Nor is this politically motivated, as Forbes' pro-entrepreneur, pro-growth worldview has generally placed it in the right-of-center camp over the past century — this standard needs to apply to liars from either party. It's just a realization that, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, in a thriving democracy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Our national reset starts there.

www.forbes.com

A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

As American democracy rebounds, we need to return to a standard of truth when it comes to how the government communicates with the governed.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, others should follow suit. Make these fucks unemployable

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's great.

Most of the well known PR people in the Trump Admin going to the private sector are only going to get jobs for sketchy overseas companies who will hire them in a second and pay them huge salaries. You just have to wonder whether Kayleigh McEnany really wants to move to the UAE or Turkey for a PR job. Others will go to work for PACs and think tanks, lobbying firms (which is ironic ... and appropriate .. given how one of Trump's issues he ran on was banning people from lobbying for X Amount of years once they're in government, and his admin has been among the worst ever of this), but PACs and Think Tanks just don't pay like the kinds of jobs these people were hoping for after their term is up.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how fast Forbes turned into a communist rag

/s, but I'm sure there's a Trump supporter that will say that

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I hope I'm wrong but I'm so skeptical that this sort of thing will hold. As the weeks/months/years go by the public perception of these people will soften. All it'll take is a couple fluff PR interviews that make them come off as personable and then mainstream outlets will welcome them back with open arms.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
For those people their only recourse is getting hired at places like Fox or further right networks than them.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
All the "we're unhirable" stories coming out of the White House have been hilarious

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean yeah.

Imagine Kayleigh hopping up to talk about quarterly revenue somewhere as an exec. Even if it was a company like Amazon or Apple, who have absolutely no reason to cook the books, guaranteed people would be like 'Something is up!', lets approach this from an investigative angle, lol

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Great moves. Everyone should follow suit.

See ya on Etsy, assholes. Oh no, nevermind I won't.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows Forbes is a radical leftist rag. Pure communist propaganda. Wake up sheeple!

Oct 27, 2017
The implication that Jay Carney or Ari Fleischer "deserved" their cushy millions post-Obama does not sit well with me.

That said, fuck every person in the Trump admin.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Good. These fucks should have this shit follow them the rest of their lives.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Good, others should follow suit. Make these fucks unemployable
I'm sure Fox News, OAN, or Newsmax will hire them to talk politics on air.
What is there besides fox and aon for these jokers?

Forbes of all outlets to make a statement like this is ironic.

They're the king of clickbait and exaggeration.

Kayleigh would fit right in as a Forbes Contributor. :)

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
nxMBqb4.gif

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
The implication that Jay Carney or Ari Fleischer "deserved" their cushy millions post-Obama does not sit well with me.

That said, fuck every person in the Trump admin.

Carney was Obama, but Fleischer was from GWB's administration.

But your point still stands. The reason Forbes thinks their golden parachutes are justified is that both Obama & GWB's admins were staunchly neoliberal interested in the same thing Forbes is: everlasting growth & wealth generation. Anyone that carries that banner, regardless of what letter appears next to their name in parentheses, will be treated as an ally.