• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao wtf is this list?

I'm quitting my $40k job tomorrow and taking a boat to France with nothing but lint and a blank CD in my pocket.

Malakiax

Oct 25, 2017
On a scale of 1-10 how fearful are these countries of black people? What happened to all of the brothers in Portugal after slavery?
They live in peace.
Portuguese here if you don't live in the main cities, everything will be super cheap to most 1st world countries.
For example you can live here with quite a bit of luxuries with 1000 euro per month. If you are frugal you can live here for 300-500 euro per month
How do you pay expenses and food with 300€?
It is half of the minimum wage

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Let's not kid ourselves - cheap cost of living is not the only reason most people (men) go to Vietnam or Malaysia.

--

On a serious note: As someone from a developing country, Americans don't know how different day to day life can be in a developing nation. A lot of little things are different.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia, what? It is cheaper to live compared to your first world country but it's not cheaper compared to the likes of Thailand and Vietnam for sure. Plus salary is not that high if you plan to work there.
Yeah, I live in Thailand and live pretty well for cheap. If I gave up some luxuries (meal prep done for me) it would be extremely cheap.
Would love to move to Portugal. Probably not happening for over a decade until I retire.
Let's not kid ourselves - cheap cost of living is not the only reason most people (men) go to Vietnam or Malaysia.

--

On a serious note: As someone from a developing country, Americans don't know how different day to day life can be in a developing nation. A lot of little things are different.
Are you Elon Musk? 😂
Yeah, things can be quite different, but if you're in a big city there are usually enough things to make it easier.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Mexico?

blinkingguy.gif

I mean, sure, if you earn your salary only on dollars, I guess

Edit. I see, is for retirement. Eh, then it's more or less true

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah, things can be quite different, but if you're in a big city there are usually enough things to make it easier.
Hm I guess... every time I go to my home country (Peru) for an extended period of time I miss small conveniences. I guess if you are retiring it might be different as you just need to stay home and in your general area.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Once you have a home/land, you can live in Alaska for nothing. There are no statewide income or sales taxes. The state cuts you a check for $2000 just for living there. You can live off grid and live off the land.

I would rather do that.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Isn't Portugal one of the top ten safest countries in the world? Why put Colombia and Mexico there?

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just came back from a trip in south east asia. Im broke as fuck and lived like a king.
If you have money saved up i recommend it.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Once you have a home/land, you can live in Alaska for nothing. There are no statewide income or sales taxes. The state cuts you a check for $2000 just for living there. You can live off grid and live off the land.

I would rather do that.
I would do it. Though there's lots of racists in Alaska.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Lol at Mexico being in there, it only works if you already have enough money to settle in a nice neighborhood, otherwise, if you move into the cheaper areas of the country as a foreigner, you will get grabbed as a piggy bank really quick.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
not gonna lie, Colombia is affordable af and I have seriously considered planning retirement there. I love the idea of spending only $100/mo for a EPS health insurance that covers almost anything and everything and buying a 2 bedroom condo in Santa Marta or Cartagena for $90,000 USD

ohh ok. So you are super rich by colombian standards? Nice. I guess the list from Forbes is for people with serious cash. I recommend you not living in coast cities, the sewer system is BAD, maybe "La región cafetera" where I'm from, is more affordable and there is "less" corruption (still a lot of corruption, tho). But I was talking from the P.O.V of a colombian. I live in a country where the middle class is gone and we aren't going to have the opportunity of retirement.

Edit: And Cundimarca and Antioquia (Departamentos) both have the best health care system in Colombia. If you are serious of coming here for good, don't doubt on contact me. I could help you with some basic info for your settling in.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
What? Living in France without having to work?? Huh... how?

giphy.gif

Who made that list? Probably somebody that never set foot in France...

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm I guess... every time I go to my home country (Peru) for an extended period of time I miss small conveniences. I guess if you are retiring it might be different as you just need to stay home and in your general area.
To be fair, I live in Bangkok where there is a TON of conveniences - you can pay a dude on a motorcycle to go grab something from 7-11 for you if you're that lazy. Never been to Peru!

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
what is up with the media trying to destroy Portugal?

leave Portugal alone!!!!!

the tourism boom peddled by magazines is so fucked up.

AirBnB is destroying affordable housing in Portugal while low-income wages remain stagnant.

stop! stop! stop!

Housing is so screwed up in Portugal in the last 3 years. It's not normal.

Portugal minimum wage is still 600 Euros a month while Spain's is 1100 Euros a month, BUT, Real Estate speculators are spiking the Housing Market and making it impossible for a millennial Portuguese to buy a home

Fuck AirBnB

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone forgets about the Philippines. They even speak English there. Oh well.

That's my retirement plan.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
what is up with the media trying to destroy Portugal?

leave Portugal alone!!!!!

the tourism boom peddled by magazines is so fucked up.

AirBnB is destroying affordable housing in Portugal while low-income wages remain stagnant.

stop! stop! stop!

Housing is so screwed up in Portugal in the last 3 years. It's not normal.

Portugal minimum wage is still 600 Euros a month while Spain's is 1100 Euros a month, BUT, Real Estate speculators are spiking the Housing Market and making it impossible for a millennial Portuguese to buy a home

Fuck AirBnB
Yeah this sucks :(

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have been vacationing in Portugal and its a joke how cheap everything is. I spend €50 for 2 person dinners with wine and dessert. I spent €200 TOTAL for a 2 person dinner at a 2 michelin star restaurant.

As a Costa Rican, though, that list is kind of a joke. You can't reasonably live as portrayed in the article.

That's not cheap, dude lol

Btw please don't come to Spain, people, our housing situation is bad as it is :(

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France ERA confirm or deny lmao

You can't quit your job, but rent is affordable. Like I said above, I work a low-paying job in L.A. and earn more than my older siblings with stable careers in France, yet I'm struggling to make rent, have zero savings and my credit cards are maxed out, whereas my siblings all live comfortable lives. I'm fine with it for now because I really love L.A., but someone with no particular preference would have gone back ages ago. Rent and Internet are much cheaper, and the rest is equivalent.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
I have family in Mexico. My Wife and I made a deal that if all hell breaks loose here we go live in Mexico.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
We are doing it. We are going to be moving to Italy. Surprised it didn't make the list since there are regions in Italy where you can buy a place for as little as €1.

Dude WTF. A dollar? Are you fucking kidding me? To own a house in Italy? Whats the catch? Horrible weather? Terrorists? Cut off from public utilities and no convenience stores for hundreds of miles? No internet?

I read the article. $17 grand required to remodel plus 5gs deposit which gets returned.... Which is peanuts compared to the insanity of California.

What is going on there? Seriously is it a trap?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
If you can earn the equivalent of ~ 1.000€ to 1.500€ per month you can sustain a couple (no kids) in Portugal without your partner having to work at all. If you're smart. Stuff like cable, internet, water, gas and electricity can get out of hand if you don't take advantage of the more wallet friendly deals. Food is super cheap, so that's a daily expense you're gonna cut down in while retaining massive quality regardless.

If both people in the couple earn the amount above you can easily sustain a family. You kinda also can with just one but things become very tight.

Also - and very importantly-just because the cost of life is cheaper (vs other countries or what you may earn) it doesn't mean there isn't quality of life.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Southern Spain is my favorite region in the world so this is very interesting. But I'm already moving to the Philippines in July

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually Malaysia offers visa for those willing to buy condos valued at least 250k us dollar. And while not exactly 0 dollar they are good value for money and the country have a good combination of infrastructure and cheap of cost of living.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Portugal is super cheap, beautiful and delicious. And fairly easy to get by with English.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal, France, Spain? This list should really not include any European country, let alone EU countries. Your money might last longer in some of them, but you won't get ten years of work-free living there without another income.

Dude WTF. A dollar? Are you fucking kidding me? To own a house in Italy? Whats the catch? Horrible weather? Terrorists? Cut off from public utilities and no convenience stores for hundreds of miles? No internet?

I read the article. $17 grand required to remodel plus 5gs deposit which gets returned.... Which is peanuts compared to the insanity of California.

Those towns are completely dead, hardly anyone lives there and as such, any commodities like stores to buy stuff are far away. They are selling these houses cheap in the hopes it reattracts people.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017

The catch is that most cheap houses are in a horrible condition and they need some serious work done to be liveable. They are also located in completely dead areas where all the people have moved away (Italy's population is declining and rural areas of course take the biggest hit).

It's the same situation as in Japan where you could get dirt cheap abandoned houses in many small towns.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Moving to Portugal is a life goal. Would keep on working as digital nomad though. If it weren't for my wife having a job requiring her to visit clients often, we would've probably moved already.

(Not because it's cheap, but because it's an amazing place)

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
some of my coworkers have some nice looking house in Colombia/Mexico/Haiti; they definitely living like kings/queens when they quit/reitre...always living it up when they go on vacation...onc is curently enjoying himself a two month vacation....