• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
On the one hand, I would like them to clean this game up and make it worth playing.

On the other hand, just closing up shop without ever releasing Hawkeye would be appropriate and further add to the mythology of the "Aquaman of the Avengers", Bowguy.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
One has to wonder who thought that adding Hawkeye 2 and then Hawkeye was a good idea? Yes i know about BP but is still that of the first three characters to be added two are fucking Hawkeye, literally a hype killer

Last edited:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Kate Bishop dlc was fantastic, but the amount of content and voice work makes it seem like it realistically might take 4 months for every new character. I just want She-Hulk before everything goes to shit. I have a sad feeling whenever they drop Black Panther, the rest of the leaked roadmap of characters will be cancelled and dead.

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest disappointment of 2020. The campaign had some fun moments, but devolved too quickly into "whacking robots in another desert fortress"--I took a break to play through Miles Morales, and going from that game's lively, zippy combat back to The Avengers' clunky style was night and day.

I can totally see a F2P relaunch at some point in the next year or so, but it's still amazing how much of a layup this could've been if they hadn't tried to make it an awful Destiny clone. Plus it breaks my heart, because I adored Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Stuff like this makes me wonder if publishers will start to swing back away from live service games this gen. I mean if you can't make a profitable and sustainable business model off the biggest entertainment brand on the planet, how is anyone's new IP going to fare any better?

Seems like all these GAAS failures can ultimately be put down to the publishers and devs massively underestimating below much time and money it takes to put out not only the base game, but also a continuous stream of content. At what point do publishers decide it's just not worth it to put out games like this?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Kate Bishop is as a really strange first DLC character....

I believe Black Panther was suppose to be one of the first but the actors death kicked things around, Kate as a first character woudn't be so bad if Hawkeye was close after her.

Characters were suppose to be released monthly or at least every 2-3 months and coming with it's own set of enemies and bosses to fill in the game, it's a mess.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I will return when the next update arrives. Hopefully soon.... wanted to play cloning labs with friends for awhile now. We all sort of took a hiatus from the game cause it was never releasing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd assumed that SE was contractually bound to do all these expansions and additional work under their agreement with Marvel. But maybe not.

They may just be abandoning this game.
I imagine they'll at least have to deliver Spiderman or there'll be trouble with Sony. To make platform exclusive content for a game that's already player starved probably wont help the game's status though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Game could do with a rebrand/new subtitle with the next-gen update really. Need something to suggest that they've significantly done the work and it's a fresh experience and people should try it again.

You know, like XIV Reborn or when Sea of Thieves launched 'the Anniversary Edition'.

I wonder how much Sony paid for that Spider-Man exclusivity...

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I think WFH/Rough launch hit them pretty hard and completely upended their original roadmap, and now they're probably putting alot more focus on the next gen versions of the game and saving up a really big update for that in an attempt to relaunch the game.

It's really the only chance they have of getting the game turned around. The game has a good campaign and fun combat, it just needs more content.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Game could do with a rebrand/new subtitle with the next-gen update really. Need something to suggest that they've significantly done the work and it's a fresh experience and people should try it again.

You know, like XIV Reborn or when Sea of Thieves launched 'the Anniversary Edition'.

I wonder how much Sony paid for that Spider-Man exclusivity...

I think the biggest rebrand-esque thing they could do is going back to the drawing board with the character designs. I know a not so-insignificant amount of people who dismissed the game immediately after the first trailer because of how everyone looked like "budget" Avengers and how it feels like they were trying to make the characters look like their MCU equivalents as possible while simultaneously making them just different enough to avoid having to pay for their likenesses. If they redesigned everyone and got a good reception about the new designs, I think it would draw an alright amount of people in, especially if a free weekend or something came along side that.

Should've just been a tight campaign instead of a service game.

This too though. I really liked the campaign missions that felt like they were designed to be part of a linear story game (like the one where Hulk is chasing you through the airship), but then there's the boring, bland more open missions that just want to push GAAS on you. Rewards not being memorable due to not really making any cosmetic changes also sucked.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man I rarely wish any ill on games, but damn if I don't feel vindicated about this game. I felt wary from second one and it was exactly what I expected it to be. With the pure and utter non-existence of any imagination, courage and honesty, this nightmare of a peer-reviewed, planned-out money drain, with its multiple passes and subs and shops and surprise mechanic monetization bullshit for it's "it's only cosmetics (TM)" shit in a game designed for wanting cosmetics, masked as the most clichéd and worn-out blueprint of money-making videogame did not earn to be anything else than being a complete trainwreck.

There's pretty much no game I literally would hate, but this is one of them, and I don't feel even a little bit bad about it.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Should've just been a tight campaign instead of a service game.

Tightening up the campaign that exists and doing a marketing push around that could pull in a lot of players who'd really like to play a Ms. Marvel game but don't want to play a Destiny/GaaS, especially not one that's floundering.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
What happens with the Spiderman since Sony made a deal to make him exclusive? That must have been a significant selling point for why people picked it up on PS4 over another platform.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Marvel's non-mobile GaaS are downright cursed. Marvel Heroes 2016 / Omega was quite fun and popular, got a console port, then got its plug unceremoniously pulled immediately after. At this point I think they've painted themselves into a vicious cycle of self-fulfilling prophecies where gamers just don't trust them to survive, not investing in them, and thus not being profitable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What happens with the Spiderman since Sony made a deal to make him exclusive? That must have been a significant selling point for why people picked it up on PS4 over another platform.

I'm gonna presume Spider-man at the very least comes out still. Sony will have paid a lot for that exclusivity.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, my biggest problem with it is the UI/navigation. It's so impenetrable. Every few weeks I decide I'm going to give it another shot, and then I try to figure out what level I should be doing next, or where I left off or what and it takes me forever. I look at the war table and try to figure out which little indicators are supposed to mean what. And then I pick one and it sends me to the OTHER warp table at the Inhuman base. And then I'm looking at the same maps. So I finally pick something I think is post game and I start playing it, not sure if it really is or what, and then I turn it off.

The game asks for WAY too much when it comes to learning its systems and conventions. I love Destiny and having an Avengers themed Destiny close sounds great on paper, but it's not in practice. They need to simplify the entire presentation.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They literally can't kill it due to the Sony deal, unless they want Sony to rip them a new one.

Even if the deal is broken up on goodish terms, and Sony simply gets their money back, Avengers would go from being a sales disappointment for SE, to a unmitigated financial disaster for the company.

Perhaps not in the sense of shutting down the servers, but if they stop adding new content it's effectively a slow death for a GaaS anyway.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the lights are pretty dim at this point. Still figuring Hawkeye, Black Panther, and Spider-Man are guaranteed by work load and contracts, still think the next-gen upgrade is guaranteed by work load, the big question for the last month has been whether they've been able to jump on their roadmap bandwagon or if they've left what's left to a skeleton crew. And everything's suggesting the latter at this point.

Such a shame, the campaign portion is overall okay and the concept for the multiplayer is honestly fine. But it came in too hot and with an aesthetic that no one was ever going to forgive. At least we got a good adaptation of Kamala Khan off it.

This dies and yet Cyberpunk gets to grind itself back to glory. Shit's unfair sometimes.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Heres where they have to go. Shot from a video I had back then lol.

W8XuBN8.png

Somewhat open world, events involving villains like the Sinster Six attacking a location where everyone heads to as a hero, cheesy dialogs.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's insane though. I doubt (maybe I shouldn't) that any of the normals will play like her. She's like Dr. Strange, Psylocke, and Magik in one depending on how you play and gear her.

I've been out of the loop on this game for a bit now. But when I think of Kate Bishop I do not think about teleporting around like Night Crawler and shooting energy blasts out of a sword lol.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I will say they kinda vanished for too long. By now I expected to have heard about Clint at least.

You're getting at least two campaigns, so yeah. If you have no intention to go online ever, it's fun.
In December they still streamed, even mentioned when they were doing their last stream of the year because of break. Sure January has been here for 22 days, but likely they are back at work for the next thing and updates. They don't show much until it's close to release it seem, but likely they have been working on making sure new stuff is better due to the feedback they have gotten. The new content, post Hawkeye at the most, has to be a lot different than the usual though, and they know it.

Hawkeye story stuff looks like it could either be the current more Utah Badlands, or an actual apocalyptic new zone. I hope that new character/villain shown is a big deal. I've been waiting to get his Hawkguy costume from the sart, but with how awesome Kate is, I don't see how he will top her for me.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the loop on this game for a bit now. But when I think of Kate Bishop I do not think about teleporting around like Night Crawler and shooting energy blasts out of a sword lol.
Yeah she took some of AIM's tech to help with something. Otherwise she would likely just be Hawkeye 2 I suppose. I'm not complaining. Black Widow did the same thing with something of theirs too. I guess it's explained as adapting to the enemy for normie heroes. I wonder if Hawkeye will take something mobility wise, definitely not teleporting as it would be too close to Kate.

Avengers AOU movie Hawkeye catching up on foot.gif

Edit: normally you'd be using ranged attacks with her, but you have the option of focusing on ranged, melee, or both as you can build the characters however you like with the passive tree and gear you you obtain. I'm actually backed to ranged focused on her.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
i feel like more often than not when the fate of a release like this is "unknown", that actually means we all pretty much know what its fate is.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
When playing the game, it seemed obvious to me that Spider-Man would essentially just be a skin/re-work of Black Widow's playstyle. He may be easier to add to the game because of that compared to the Hawkeyes who seem a little bit more unique.

They really fucked this game up by trying to make 3 games at the same time: Ms Marvel The Game, Avengers Uncharted, and Avengers Destiny.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I have the feeling they want to reboot this with nextgen versions
Same. They're obligated at this point to drop the stuff they've announced, so we know we're at least getting that. A next gen relaunch is the only thing to bring back a play base in any substantive way.
I've been saying it since the beginning, you can go anywhere in the entire MCU and they choose to stage the game in.....Utah.
This lol the only Marvel location in the game is the Helicarrier, and it's barebones at that.

You know, like XIV Reborn or w
Marvel's Avengers: Reassembled

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the biggest flop of this gen. Pretty incredible that they managed to make the most popular franchise in the world (in the last few years at least) bomb.

GaaS is a fucking tragedy, hope this concept is dead.