• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
I'm not sure if what comes next for MS will be a new gen at all. It looks they will go for more of a push in delivering games in a variety of ways across many devices / platforms.
Tracking the success of PlayStation (providing Sony's approach is similar to this gen) against Microsoft's offerings in the coming years will probably become a more difficult exercise.
I just don't see a straight a straight up Xbox v PlayStation scenario like we have seen in the past.

Yes, but they won't do it at the expense of the core gamer, hopefully they have learnt that lesson with the X1.
There will be a console that is competitive with the PS5 on the hardware side and Big AAA games, but they will also roll out xcloud that can stream games to smart devices. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did the same. They have done similar thing with remote play and psnow.
Sony will be thinking that they don't want MS, Google, amazon taking there market share in the future, with streaming.
I know streaming is new, but in 2028 if little timmy can play fortnite 3, fifa, call of duty etc on there smart TV is timmys mom really going to want to buy him a PS5 Or PS6?
Sony will want little timmy using the PS Now streaming service not Google or Microsofts.

Last edited:

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Next gen will definitely be really interesting , I really hate that the article calls it Xbox Two though . Wtf are they going to call that thing ???

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, but they won't do it at the expense of the core gamer, hopefully they have learnt that lesson with the X1.
There will be a console that is competitive with the PS5 on the hardware size and Big AAA games, but they will also roll out xcloud that can stream games to smart devices. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did the same. They have done similar thing with remote play and psnow.

My point is that I envisage Sony sticking with its tried and tested approach to console gaming, they will probably sell more black boxes than MS over the next few years. However, depending on how successful MS are in branching out beyond Xbox gaming as we know it now, then I can see a not to distant future where Microsoft's gaming till is ringing at a rate higher than its competitors.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
I hope MS steps up, competition is good, but they winning, no way. Both Sony and Nintendo have established francises and mind share. MS still have a long way to go.

Feb 10, 2018
My point is that I envisage Sony sticking with its tried and tested approach to console gaming, they will probably sell more black boxes than MS over the next few years. However, depending on how successful MS are in branching out beyond Xbox gaming as we know it now, then I can see a not to distant future where Microsoft's gaming till is ringing at a rate higher than its competitors.

You don't think Sony will be a bit more pro active then just a wait and see approach?
After all Sony have a streaming service up and running now.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will take something new that differenciates itself from Sony to win. One of the main problems Xbox always had was it's very similar to the Playstation, but without the worldwide brand appeal. I think the mindshare is so lopsided that even if miraculously they manage to produce better games than Sony they still wouldn't win. It would take another major brainfart from Sony like they did with the PS3 to give them that chance to win.

For me the biggest problem is the whole winning mentality to begin with. All anyone should want is the best from all these companies and let the fanoys out there argue who is winning since most of them simply don't have the means to buy every system.

You don't think Sony will be a bit more pro active then just a wait and see approach?
After all Sony have a streaming service up and running now.

Sony is still wrapped up in tradition which is why they will continue to leverage its new titles to sell hardware. That will remain to be the main difference in Game Pass/Project Xcloud versus Playstation Now

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I love that "Fable 4" in the list.
After playing the first 2 (that should be the best on the series) I find it really hard to understand how a Fable game can make any difference...

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Is it me, or is there a Forbes contributor article covering this topic like every week? Not disagreeing with the article though, there's tons of room and opportunity to gain marketshare for Xbox in the future.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I guess articles like this are on a thread by thread basis for mods. But man, I wish they would be banned. Like some previous ones I posted from DualShockers it's just inciting division and brand loyalty.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about all these articles is they assume Sony is doing nothing, and they assume that because XBox has had mediocre games for years it means they will now have good games.

It's kind of liking saying that because the 76ers were horrible for the last decade, they're now going to beat the Warriors.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only way I see MS out selling Sony is with xcloud subs,
But I think both will be rather even next gen.
That's just a weird thing to do.
It's interesting we are seeing a double standard where Sony can have big success in USA even if MS don't fuck up.
But Sony have to fuck up for MS to have big success in europe.
I don't know, but we also have to remember that a lot of Xbox sales came from the Kinect which is dead

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess articles like this are on a thread by thread basis for mods. But man, I wish they would be banned. Like some previous ones I posted from DualShockers it's just inciting division and brand loyalty.
We'd basically have to shut down the forum if discussion of the industry and where it's going wasn't allowed.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a sad symptom of the way this industry works that everything has to be framed as "winning", which in turn just serves to antagonise those who most aggressively and vocally disagree.

For me, the Xbox One has been fantastic and will honestly rank quite high as one of my favourite consoles of all time. Microsoft have done an excellent job of building a system - and indeed an ecosystem - that does a lot of really cool things. They're in a good place going into next gen, if not to win then to at least deliver an exciting product.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
User Warned: Trolling
Lmao who actually cares about fable 4? You really think anyone cares what Peter Molicule and his squad have to offer? Leave that shit in 2013.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I think some of the western media needs to understand how weak they xbox brand is world wide outside of the usual us/uk. They have yet to win a generation ever. Brand and games will sell more over power anyday. Most ppl could careless about power.

im not sure about that - when i talk to people who know nothing abut games for some rereasonosn they think they know the xbox one is less powerful. they have no idea about the S or X revisions)

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Ah, another "Forbes" article writing out obvious information or "opinions" that are merely condensing a bunch of reddit posts for clicks.

Whoever is cheapest and first out the gate will "win" the gen for a while. This is only accounting for Western sales, mind you.

Nov 8, 2017
Pro-Microsoft website predicts Microsoft winning next generation. What a surprise.

I expect Microsoft to do better next gen, but much of what the article says is pure speculation at this point. Sony has VR and Japanese developers on their side, and I don't believe for one moment that Microsoft will beat Sony in terms of exclusives either.

Oct 25, 2017
this thread is going to turn wild soon but why does somebody have to win the generation i think the real winners will be the consumers next generation we will be able to get exclusives and other games in a netflix like setting for maybe 30 dollars a month when you add up all the subscriptions for a guy like me who buys maybe 3-4 games a month that's a win
I mean if you take "winning" as making Sony sweat, I think it's definitely in everyone's interest. Probably the best scenario for gamers is that each generation the runner-up pushes harder and does maker, preventing a return to "arrogant Sony"/Microsoft stuff. This gen has been exceptionally illustrative of that with MS' self inflicted wounds at launch and then Sony's response to crossplay.

Also I do want Fable 4, so rah.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Here's how Microsoft 'wins' the next generation: keep doing what they've been doing for the last ~2 years, and Sony keeps doing what they've been doing for the same timeframe.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
That does sound bad and hopefully it will change, but it's silly to use this reason to not even acknowledge EU as a market for MS.
Lots of companies have deals by region.

Trust me there is market for xbox in EU. The problem comes from MS themselves! Never seen a single add regarding MS or Xbox in my country, while Sony is advertising like crazy. In the beginning of January, the two most famous retailers here ran out of PS4 consoles, while x1 and x1x could be easily purchased. Not a single promo or campaign, while Sony on the other hand had all on sale, from games to accessories to consoles and VR. Heck try watching a football (soccer) game without seeing a Sony add.

Until MS changes it stance, EU will be Sony land in general.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
all these articles remind of the thread in the old forum pre this gen's reveal where nearly everyone wrongly predicted sony screwing up and leaving the console business haha. Not saying that MS does not have a chance at winning, but just because sony is quiet, doesnt mean they dont try just as much as microsoft to end up the winner between them.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Here's how Microsoft 'wins' the next generation: keep doing what they've been doing for the last ~2 years, and Sony keeps doing what they've been doing for the same timeframe.
That doesnt end with MS outselling Sony - unless they have a resolution to be more relevant in Europe i dont see it happening.

People really downplay the Playstation as a global brand- the amounts of Sony fuck ups needed for MS to come on top is rather large.
360 v. PS3 was already a best case scenario with PS3 being too expensive, late launch and subpar dev-support early on. While had Xbox Live and later on Kinect to push the system to the next level.

Yet the PS3 outsold the 360 at the end.
all these articles remind of the thread in the old forum pre this gen's reveal where nearly everyone wrongly predicted sony screwing up and leaving the console business haha. Not saying that MS does not have a chance at winning, but just because sony is quiet, doesnt mean they dont try just as much as microsoft to end up the winner between them.
People act as if Sony has nothing planned or in store for next-gen lol.
Of course MS is more interested in talking and teasing the next gen already since they are on 3rd Place right now and being outsold by the PS4 and the Switch. Doesnt mean Sony wont deliver next-gen.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So Microsoft should have a really sparse line-up with little to no hits other than Forza while Sony dominates with GOTY quality titles?

It's a bold strategy for sure.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a sad symptom of the way this industry works that everything has to be framed as "winning", which in turn just serves to antagonise those who most aggressively and vocally disagree.

For me, the Xbox One has been fantastic and will honestly rank quite high as one of my favourite consoles of all time. Microsoft have done an excellent job of building a system - and indeed an ecosystem - that does a lot of really cool things. They're in a good place going into next gen, if not to win then to at least deliver an exciting product.

Lets not beat about the bush here. Xbox is doing better than the beginning of this generation for sure. But when you go from 84m to 40m-ish and see your market share halved, that is not "a good place" when your direct competitor is selling 90m+ and the left field competitor is already breathing down your neck. MS are trying to rectify it, especially on the 1st party games side, and that is good. I applaud them for it. They have had their ps3-like fuckup and their next gen console will probably be a beast again. But good games don't grow on trees. Thats a wait and see for me.

Feb 10, 2018
Trust me there is market for xbox in EU. The problem comes from MS themselves! Never seen a single add regarding MS or Xbox in my country, while Sony is advertising like crazy. In the beginning of January, the two most famous retailers here ran out of PS4 consoles, while x1 and x1x could be easily purchased. Not a single promo or campaign, while Sony on the other hand had all on sale, from games to accessories to consoles and VR. Heck try watching a football (soccer) game without seeing a Sony add.

I agree,
My only goal was to dispel this false notion that xbox can only do well in USA +UK.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
LOL the Fable thing is actually pretty funny.

The huge timeframe post-Halo5 leads me to suspect they are planning Halo Infinite or whatever (Halo 6) as a launch title. I don't think it's as strong as it was in the H2-H4 days, but still a pretty solid title in regards to marketing/sales.

I can see Xbox doing better than Gen8 in their major markets if they keep sane. Power is a factor but far from the only factor. See : Switch. Most (or at least a great many) people own phones stronger than Switch, but Switch sells boatloads.

Price is severely underrated, as is momentum. And they carry into each other. Xbox brand had immense momentum in the US with Gen7. However, the focus on non-core-gaming and the better than expected Kinect second wind for 360 taught them the wrong lesson opening Gen8. It didn't outright murder their advantage in the US for holidays 2013 either, which in retrospect might have been even worse. The core Xbox superfans bought millions of them in Nov and Dec 2013, despite the higher price and weaker console. Then 2014 came and the bottom fell out. I think the Titanfall month sealed Mattrick's fate and ensured the course correction. Discount, free highly anticipated epic marketed game packed in, and lost the month. It was a bit of a slap in the face to those that bought the day 1 models ($499, no game to $449 and $60 game a few months later). And still not affordable enough to turn the general public.

I do think Sony is missing the boat a bit with regards to Gen8. The insistence on staying at $299 is not ideal. I think at most today the Slim should have some bundled titles (rotate historic 1st party as a freebie, UCC, UC4, TLOUHD, etc), and be $249 with random $199 specials. I actually think $199 slim/$349 Pro would be correct. Pro/X are niche, people willing to spend more purely for power are rare, and not as important to worry over due to it naturally overlapping with those people simply willing to spend a bit more for a WAY better PC.

But $199 is a gigantic advantage that could lead to a few million more buying in.

In Gen7 'ecosystem' was pretty much non-existent in modern terms. 360/PS3 games, Gold and Plus didn't carry over to Gen8. This time around, all of it will carry over. And that means something. If people have libraries that they enjoy, and ongoing subs (as well as some being a part of a particular online community such as Overwatch, Destiny 2, whatever), it absolutely will make it more likely that they stay within either Xbox or PS environment with their next console purchase.

I do think the largest individual indicator of 9th gen success will be : what is the best console at the most reasonable price. Globally I don't see much a chance for Xbox to be competitive. But their target markets of NA+UK are fairly sizable. Anything north of a 60M gen for them is a big win imho. Less than 50m is a disappointment. Less than 40m is disastrous.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Well yes, Sony focuses on EU because they want to keep people loyal. That is marketing 101.

USA is second biggest, based on country, games market by far, so winning in a certain market is all relative. Look at Japan, massive market, massive money being made and Sony (and certainly not MS) are not really doing anything impressive there. Maybe having the most consoles is not the best measurement nowadays, some markets spend a hell of a lot more on games than others. If I look at the top selling games in EU, it seems like we only play FIFA
(this is an exaggeration ofc!!!)

Also we still have to untapped market of China... neither Sony nor MS are popular there for various reasons. There still is a lot of untapped revenue in gaming.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
So Microsoft should have a really sparse line-up with little to no hits other than Forza while Sony dominates with GOTY quality titles?

It's a bold strategy for sure.

You know full well that's not what I meant. The games will come in due time, look at what happened with Nintendo and their sparse WiiU lineup compared to the Switch. Microsoft is right to not rush things, and they're doing just fine currently - Phil Spencer has completely turned the XB0 around.

What I meant for next generation is the acquisition of talented studios to work on games at their own pace, expanding upon Game Pass, expansive backwards compatibility, cross-platform play and cross-buy with PC, enhanced backwards compatibility titles.

Meanwhile Sony has no backwards compatibility, is tightening restrictions on content, extremely limited cross-platform play due only to public outrage, and nothing to compare with Game Pass.

They do, however, have excellent games, which is why I own a PS4 this generation and not an XB0.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Meanwhile Sony has no backwards compatibility, is tightening restrictions on content, extremely limited cross-platform play due only to public outrage, and nothing to compare with Game Pass.
The only reason why they don't have BC on PS4 is because of PS3's shitty architecture. This will all change with PS5. I am 100% sure PS5 will have full 100% BC with PS4.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
The only reason why they don't have BC on PS4 is because of PS3's shitty architecture. This will all change with PS5. I am 100% sure PS5 will have full 100% BC with PS4.

I would certainly hope so, given the ridiculously impressive precedent that Microsoft is setting.

The PS5 should be backwards compatible to the PS1, similar to how Microsoft is doing it. Make it happen, Sony.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Without fail these media outlets coming out of the woodwork to cheerlead an MS victory. Every time this happens. Is it because they are American I wonder?...