• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The guy writing these just looks at the subreddit and then pitches articles that sum up what they're actively talking about

I totally agree that the thesis could use some actual data beyond anecdotal agreement, since basically everything that Destiny has ever done has upset a vocal group of players while leaving a less vocal group of players pretty happy.

Also, can I just say that if you're gonna make a claim like "it's turning off players" you need to back that up with some quantitative data, and not just your own opinion?
The only physical evidence is the declining steam player number https://steamcharts.com/app/1085660#1m

Other than that it's all almost anecdotal. I can say from my side all my friends have now dropped off completely.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people I play(ed) with also dropped off, it's mostly just a select few I play with, relying on Xbox LFG to do stuff

I certainly don't blame them, it all has to end sometime

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am for sure in the minority that plays Destiny because of lore and the setting. More than anything, this last year is getting on my nerves because not a single plot point is getting resolved. Its like they are airing a TV show where every episode is a cliffhanger and the next one introduces a new thread (That will end in a cliffhanger) without giving any resolution to the prior one.

Except maybe for one lore tab of Uldren living in a container.
I played through D2 and all expansions up through Forsaken with a buddy last year. And every time we'd finish and move to a new campaign he basically go "WTF, what happened to (Osiris, Rasputin, Uldren etc)". Uldren was probably the worst offense but they've been doing this forever and I'm pretty sick of it too. It's like a bunch of pilot episodes to solid looking shows that never end up getting produced.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
If you follow Tassi on Twitter, you quickly realize that he is often just an echo chamber of /r/destinythegame, Rick Kakis, Mtashed, Gladd, and all other very popular Destiny Streamers. He does however have interesting and informative pieces on Destiny at times. I still like to follow him because he kinda just wraps up the community sentiment from time to time.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Just do like me, wait for Destiny 3...

If you've done a raid, for the best gear, at any point in the game, I think you've experienced the core of Destiny.

right now it's hard to please everyone, it's big

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The only physical evidence is the declining steam player number https://steamcharts.com/app/1085660#1m

Other than that it's all almost anecdotal. I can say from my side all my friends have now dropped off completely.
Yeah, but as a journalist he'd still need to make the connection between dropping CCU/MAU and their seasonal model to support that title.

I just dislike the wordage of the article being a declaration of fact when it's an opinion piece.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Perfect explanation as to why I've given up, I still have a few hours per month but I can't guarantee my time therefore what's the point.

I didn't finish the previous dlc properly and when this last one came out it finished it all for me.

I just want have a blast every now and again.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, can I just say that if you're gonna make a claim like "it's turning off players" you need to back that up with some quantitative data, and not just your own opinion?

Game journalist articles are glorified forum posts these days, lad. Just us forum dwellers but given a higher platform to speak on.

It's a solid opinion, though. A beautiful opinion.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
I'm really on the fence about buying Shadowkeep/ Season of Dawn because I've spent thousands of hours on both games, but I can't pull the trigger just yet. It looks too much like busy work. A lot of people on my friends list have moved on to other games. Right now I'm playing D1 hoping that will scratch the itch.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based off past trends for Destiny player numbrrs the reality is it's probably not that driving numbers down. it's that there's really no content. And these events/model are basically made for the smaller dedicated community that watch Twitch streams or YouTube videos on D2 weekly and pay into the eververse store. Once a big update or expansion drops people will come back. I'm probably done for a long while, and if I return like I did forsaken, but this time have tons of stuff I can't do because they were limited time events. I probably won't come back, and that should be a more concerning issue for them.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really on the fence about buying Shadowkeep/ Season of Dawn because I've spent thousands of hours on both games, but I can't pull the trigger just yet. It looks too much like busy work. A lot of people on my friends list have moved on to other games. Right now I'm playing D1 hoping that will scratch the itch.

At the very least I would hold off on buying it until March when the next season starts instead of getting into an almost finished season now. There will probably be a sale around that time too.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's really what Destiny has always been. Just with mmo-lite cycle, seasons and fomo type events now it's just on a more vigorous repeat.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
There's very little gameplay shortcomings, FOMO is one portion that yeah sucks and I wish they had a better solution for it, The story beats have been getting resolved throughout the lifetime of the game and we are seeing more resolved as it happens.
I outlined a ton of the gameplay shortcomings in the rest of my post. And that wasn't everything.

And no, the story beats being resolved are at a snail's pace with new plots being introduced at a far greater rate. It's actually pathetic.

This guy made this thread half as a joke, but good lord... https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/erhutq/youll_never_guess_how_these_stories_end/

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I have a love-hate relationship with this series. Games of this type always have the same problem for me: the devs want that constant flow of MMO money but can't/won't keep creating content that keeps people coming back.

Little bullshit events and stuff like that are not enough to keep me coming back. How about this, you either charge a monthly fee, release expansions regularly or bite the bullet and ditch this wannabe mmo horseshit.

Best gunplay and controls in the market but there isn't fuck all to do but grind the same old shit and be forced to log on daily or miss out. Seems to be the trend anymore with multiplayer GAAS games though. I'm burned out, too many cool games coming out regularly. I agree with the video. Sorry Bungie.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I outlined a ton of the gameplay shortcomings in the rest of my post. And that wasn't everything.

And no, the story beats being resolved are at a snail's pace with new plots being introduced at a far greater rate. It's actually pathetic.

This guy made this thread half as a joke, but good lord... https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/erhutq/youll_never_guess_how_these_stories_end/
It's really not, We have learned more than we hadn't but I definitely don't agree with you about the gameplay shortcomings.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Not really the main point, but wasn't that "experimental calculus" for the Outbreak Prime just binary, or did I miss something?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it wasn't working for them, they wouldn't be committed to this method. If they switch things up next season, we'll know why.

Personally I play the game for maybe a week at the start of every season and then get bored. I just don't think their philosophy of essentially never applying any QoL changes to the game works. There's still major issues with the game like getting stuck in orbit that have been around since the first Destiny released. There's still major inventory issues that they never address.

You know what's not fun about new content in Destiny? Trying to figure out how to clear out enough space in your many different limited inventories for things they add that don't even make sense to be taking up inventory space in the first place.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
While I don't play Destiny, I saw some other people mention Guild Wars 2, and the limited time content for that game also turned me off and was the deciding factor to get me to stop playing. It's good to see that they've since resolved that issue, but for me it's too late, I've already moved on. Developers need to know that this type of content is actively causing players to quit playing for good.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eververse is still an issue even after leaving activision? Its almost like the problem was bungie and not activision pushing shitty practices on them like this (not to mention it was reported it wasn't acti's suggestion in the first place). I did get a chuckle tho after reading "destiny players a upset right now" which I feel like can be a fair summary 2/3s of the time talking about this game since its inception. Just feels like a game thats never going to get it right and stay on that trajectory because it feels like theres still disagreement from players and bungie as to what destiny should be.

Nov 2, 2017
So... anyone kept an eye on the steam population in the last while? Should give an idea if people are actually leaving.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it exaggerating? There's daily and weekly content. There's raids you can only do once per week. If you only log on every 14 days, you miss out on a lot of progress you can't just make up by playing a lot that day. Even more extreme if you only log on every couple months: content is left behind, never to be recovered again even if you start grinding all day every day. Limited content forcing the completionists to log in all the time as opposed to using their pace. That's the design philosophy a lot of big games adopted in the decade just past and it's really annoying personally.

Never mind me, read wrong. I shouldn't post before I finish my morning coffee.

Although I do believe that you could still see all of the current seasons content if you were limited to binging on the game once a fortnight. This season is pretty lax compared to the last one.

Also for the record I'm not for this fomo shit either.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I got back into Final Fantasy XIV lately and the biggest breath of fresh air there was the fact that I could go back and enjoy all the content from where I left off over a year ago. I can take a break from FFXIV and know when I come back all that stuff will still be there. Take a break from Destiny 2 and I end up missing swathes of content for no good reason. Having the occasional fomo event might drive engagement, but once I started missing out I found it hard to be excited for their next fomo gimmick.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see FOMO as the major issue with Destiny 2. The major issue is a drought of premium content, (i.e. Raids, Strikes, Story missions, multiplayer maps, new weapons (vendor refresh?)).

It's obvious that people are going to get bored running fetch quests over and over again. I'm as casual as they come, and if I miss an event, so be it. That doesn't really detour me. Running the same "get 100 void kills" type missions over and over does.

I think a few FOMO events really is a small sliver in the scope of Destiny issues.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Steam data should be going down anyway, thats in line with historic player behavior this time in a season.

Basically: spike in (active) population around big release, downward decline until next release (with spikes around smaller releases, like new exotic missions). I assume some of this year's seasonal changes might slow the decline, but after a certain point each season theres nothing left to do.

Also, not to dismiss your anecdotal take on this (I think its important to an overall interpretation of data) but I also think the longer a clan has been together the more likely it is that it will fall apart over time for a million reasons. So I imagine it will feel a lot more noticeable than how representative of the overall population it actually is.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Eververse is still an issue even after leaving activision? Its almost like the problem was bungie and not activision pushing shitty practices on them like this (not to mention it was reported it wasn't acti's suggestion in the first place). I did get a chuckle tho after reading "destiny players a upset right now" which I feel like can be a fair summary 2/3s of the time talking about this game since its inception. Just feels like a game thats never going to get it right and stay on that trajectory because it feels like theres still disagreement from players and bungie as to what destiny should be.
It's way worse now than it ever was in D2 with Activision. No way to consistently earn the new Eververse items anymore, especially if you are new/during an event/if you don't have a fuck load of Bright Dust (which they decided all Bright Dust items should be more expensive too). No vendor refreshes. Some stuff that was likely for the Nightfall or Raid cosmetic loot, but are instead Eververse only. Eververse armour artificially being the only Universal Armour Ornaments, despite there being armour ornaments you could earn in the past, though they'll at least work on the armour sets they were for (not all have armour 2.0 versions though). They also patched a "bug" that let you put them on any Legendary armour too, just to further show how artificial the limitation is.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
While it does suck I don't think the problem with Destiny now is FOMO itself.

The problem is turning FOMO up to 11 while providing mediocre/boring content.
At that point, people stop caring at all.

There are actually many ways to implement systems that make you feel like ''I want to be there''.
A stupid battle pass that you level by doing the most boring shit in the game, a boring and half-reskinned seasonal activity, seasonal mods that you have to pair with seasonal weapons and armors is not that.

FOMO they are implementing achieves the the exact opposite: you can't wait for this shit to be over and retired so that maybe something decent will happen.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's way worse now than it ever was in D2 with Activision. No way to consistently earn the new Eververse items anymore, especially if you are new/during an event/if you don't have a fuck load of Bright Dust (which they decided all Bright Dust items should be more expensive too). No vendor refreshes. Some stuff that was likely for the Nightfall or Raid cosmetic loot, but are instead Eververse only. Eververse armour artificially being the only Universal Armour Ornaments, despite there being armour ornaments you could earn in the past, though they'll at least work on the armour sets they were for (not all have armour 2.0 versions though). They also patched a "bug" that let you put them on any Legendary armour too, just to further show how artificial the limitation is.
Yikes. I had no idea. I stopped playing early November and hadn't checked in since. Feels like its always one step forward two steps back with this franchise.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Yeah. Some FOMO based incentives and development is probably required for a live game. I love Warframe because the closest we get is missing a good item from Baro or missing this round of Eidolon ghouls or whatever (but never the god damned inbox notifications). The former can be annoying but if it really matters I'll gladly spend some platinum.
And while that is great for me, it also means that I tend to ignore Warframe for weeks or even months at a time which can't be good for playercounts.

But too much and it just lets me know to never even bother.

Guild Wars 2 had that for a while with The Living Story. I know I stopped playing during Season 1 because I actively didn't want to have to log in every week to see what was going on. Season 2 fixed this by letting folk log-in to unlock (or just buy after the fact) but also lost most meaning as a result.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for the end of Corridors of Time exotic quest, but
The most powerful Guardian alive so far saw his/her own death in a calamity against some mighty foe and they just keep their mouth shut about it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Because Destiny used to make me happy?! How fucking hard is that to believe?

You wouldn't fucking understand. None of you would fucking understand
I do. I understand. Had thousands of hours played. Loved the game like everyone else did.

But then I found an alternative source of happiness. Destiny was not healthy. The back and forth was not healthy. People need to be strong enough to pull away and send the message that they don't wanna put up with things like this. If all you can say is "I'm very unhappy right now, but man, Destiny 3 better be good!", then they've already got you, and they have no incentive to change a thing.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I gave up on Destiny 2 because all my friends left and I didn't feel like finding new friends and a clan to play with. If Destiny was designed so that a solo player could still enjoy 90% of it I think I would still be playing, but unfortunately you only get to play like 50% of the game going solo.

That's what made me leave but also the quests forcing me in to PvP also pissed me off. It is like Bungie doesn't realize a significant percentage of their player base wants to do PvE only. Now this FOMO stuff pushes things over the edge.

I'm only in for Destiny 3 if Bungie somehow makes the game fun and mostly available to the solo PvE player. I know that will never happen though so I've accepted that D2 is likely my last Bungie game.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I played through D2 and all expansions up through Forsaken with a buddy last year. And every time we'd finish and move to a new campaign he basically go "WTF, what happened to (Osiris, Rasputin, Uldren etc)". Uldren was probably the worst offense but they've been doing this forever and I'm pretty sick of it too. It's like a bunch of pilot episodes to solid looking shows that never end up getting produced.

Yeah, I felt that way after Shadowkeep. It didnt even feel like a cliffhanger, it felt like we just getting the story started and then it just immediately stops.

It got even more confusing when the raid and seasonal content is vex related, and dealing with stuff that had nothing to do with Shadowkeeps story.

Dec 2, 2017
I gave up on Destiny 2 because all my friends left and I didn't feel like finding new friends and a clan to play with. If Destiny was designed so that a solo player could still enjoy 90% of it I think I would still be playing, but unfortunately you only get to play like 50% of the game going solo.

Er, you can do anything except the raids & nightfalls solo. I have over 1000 hours in D2 and definitely did spend 90% of it solo.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
If you follow Tassi on Twitter, you quickly realize that he is often just an echo chamber of /r/destinythegame, Rick Kakis, Mtashed, Gladd, and all other very popular Destiny Streamers. He does however have interesting and informative pieces on Destiny at times. I still like to follow him because he kinda just wraps up the community sentiment from time to time.
This is why I hate this whole "Forbes: <article title>" thing (and not just Tassi with Destiny, though he's the main culprit, for me) that keeps going around. It just starts up the same shitty discussions and complaints and says literally nothing new, just brings up old arguments. The fact that it's bereft of any real merit is bad enough, but repeating the echo chamber garbage isn't healthy and makes ti seem worse than it actually may be.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I got a fear if I stop playing destiny I'll just stop playing games all together. Destiny is my last hope for gaming, I don't play anything else long enough to warrant purchase of hardware.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just do like me, wait for Destiny 3...

If you've done a raid, for the best gear, at any point in the game, I think you've experienced the core of Destiny.

right now it's hard to please everyone, it's big
That's where I sit at this point. I loved, defended, and played the hell out of Destiny 1. I loved and played as much of Destiny 2 I could till I was severly burned with the minimal additions they gave with expansions 1 and 2. That shit was so limited and lacking, I refused to give the game a fair chance again and decided to wait for Destiny 3.

I was like most fans where I defended this game and Bungie no matter what, but they gotta get their shit together and not fuck up the end game of Destiny 3 for me to stay loyal to their cause. Destiny 2 has gone so far off course for me to even enjoy it anymore and it's almost impossible to follow their old concept of "play other games and come back to us later". I returned to give IB a shot a month ago along with some PvE and things don't even make sense to me anymore.

Fingers crossed Destiny 3 will be back strong as hell, but I'm going in skeptical after the blunders with Destiny 1 and 2.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I loved D2 Post-Forsaken, and I thought The last 2 Seasons before shadowkeep (Drifter & Opulence) were some of the best pieces of Content I've ever seen in that game. But after Shadowkeep and the hype of having more friends join me died off, the game got really bland. Vex Offensive was pretty lackluster, and Sundial is just Diet Menagerie but with grindier nonsense and it's time-gated.

I just don't see the reason to play the game right now unless I absolutely need this 1 piece of loot they are giving, and I seriously don't need it.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I loved D1 and put way more time into that game then I ever should have. I've really struggled with D2 though, the accessibility really felt like it nosedived and unless you play ALL THE TIME it's really difficult to enjoy the content.

They've always had a content quantity issue, way back to day 1 of D1 and they've always had this weird habit of taking stuff out for no reason. It always drove me nuts that strike grinding was a must but they'd always have half the strikes excluded from the playlist for no real reason.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I actually agree with this 100%. I played Season of Undying and enjoyed my time raiding and all, but then found it rough to "reset" with Season of Dawn. I dropped Destiny 2 completely about two weeks after this season started and feel no need to go back in anytime soon.

This is in contrast to me playing most of the year last year, except for Season of the Drifter which personally didn't interest me too much. But at least I've been able to go back in and run Reckoning a few times since then to see what I missed.
This is literally my experience with the game. Haven't touched the current expansion despite playing on and off again since D1. I'm just tired of coming back to the same grind.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
I loved D2 and forsaken, but everything since then I haven't stuck to. Shadow keep was cool, but it dovetailed right into the terrible FOMO stuff/battle pass etc... and the end of the campaign (if you can call it that) didn't really hit as hard as I'd like.

the battle pass and constant events you can miss make me not want to play. I went back to MHW which I can enjoy solo and the events all come back around if I missed them.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Having some had to be there events every once in a while is fine but yeah, my problem with Destiny 2 is that they are putting a lot into these season, short lived activities and not adding to the bread and butter playlists like Strikes. When they put in a new mode, it of course has to be seasonal or else the playlist will become too bloated which is why I think they should put more into strikes, raids, and multiplayer maps. These things are part of the base experience so they have a long shelf life.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I launched Destiny 2 today and was met with about 10 different splash screens telling me all the things to do now. I was half way towards immediately closing it but I wanna try out my new DS4 back button attachment so that's the only reason I'm still in here, lol

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this sort of what Fortnite does as well?

It's not a terrible strategy but very hard to pull off.
Fortnite is free and a more focused gameplay experience. Destiny isn't free and has a mix of PvE and PvP content that often relies on matchmaking or LFG to experience. It's especially difficult for solo players to experience endgame content. It's all over the place and it feels like they're just kind of throwing shit out there at this point.