• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Everyone is discussing current Destiny, you're over there by yourself yelling at the clouds about stuff from three years ago that isn't even relevant anymore. You just see a Destiny thread and think "Hey, I got an opinion on this still, lemme tell you guys huuuwhat."

huh? i didn´t post in any destiny thread for a long time and i wish the people still playing fun in the game. it is just that i think they didn´t deliver the game they could have delivered and that D2 is running in circles since release.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Looks like Bungie is finally embracing the world of live ops. About time!
They'll judge burnout on KPIs and not anecdotes. But it is seeming like a 180 from their launch philosophy.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is FFXIV just different then? Cause after like 5 years I don't feel like there is anything I really missed other than saying hi to Noctis and Lightning. Destiny is literally ripping out content and story.

With FFXIV not so much story stuff but a lot of content has been changed and the game has a very different feel in general from 2013 to 2020. There are a lot of experiences from the 2.0 days that only the long time vets will have had because the game has morphed over the last 3 expansions so rapidly. Most if not all of that content is still there but the way people will experience it these days is different.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I got D2 when it was really cheap as something to mess around with when I get bored. Thankfully, I have never cared about special weapons, raids, grinding, etc. so they miss me with all the daily challenges, timed events, or constantly playing.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
For me it definitely played a part in quitting, also not being able to find a stable group.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The only "you had there to be there" moments I've ever had with Destiny are when they fuck up and a random exotic is busted. Even the Corridors of Time "event" sucked because it amounted to about ten people hording all the crowd sourced info while the rest of us had wait until they deigned us with the solution.

They cannot hope to make anything truly memorable or even justt worthwhile if they're also tossing into the trash a few weeks later.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is weird that I just got into Destiny in November, absolutely love it, but everything I read about it is negative. You'd think everyone playing it actually hates it. That said, making content disappear is weird. Even weirder is that they don't let you purchase the option to explore the old content & seasons like Guild Wars 2. You'd think they'd like the opportunity for money.

I honestly think the lack of matchmaking for harder content is the worst part about the game.

Warframe does a lot of shit right, that i am always shocked the rest of the industry does even try to copy. My only problem with Warframe is some of the super objectional stuff could be better explained. But compaired to Destiny Warframe holds your hands, wipes your butt and feeds you chocolate cake
This. I thought Warframe was bad in regards to not explaining mechanics, etc. but I had to look up online to find out how to start the campaign in Destiny 2.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I like Destiny 2, but I don't even bother with it anymore. Feels like they are punishing people for wanting to have time to play other games. I won't devote all my time to one game, I have other things to play.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Warframe does a lot of shit right, that i am always shocked the rest of the industry does even try to copy. My only problem with Warframe is some of the super objectional stuff could be better explained. But compaired to Destiny Warframe holds your hands, wipes your butt and feeds you chocolate cake

My only problem with Warframe as of late is that it just has so much (and so many) grinds.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved all the Halo games and made decade+ friends on them that still played Destiny. Destiny 1 was pretty fun and 2 was good at first, but more and more I just got burnt out trying to keep up. I have weeks at work where I get home early and can binge games and other times where I won't get on for a month. I hate the game for making me feel constant stress to keep up, so I don't miss out playing with my friends. With the Halo games, if I was gone and came back, I'd apologize for being a bit rusty, suck a bit, and then be back into the groove. With Destiny, I log on and my friends are like, "Oh you need to do X,Y, and Z - it takes 40 hours of grinding and then do this thing that is only a weekly event, but we're doing it tonight, so you'll have to wait 2 weeks to do it with us."

I finally just gave up and stopped playing. I'm happier now.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i also don´t get why people are getting so overly..protective when it comes to this game. it is like in WoW high times, you said something and there were people swarming in like killer bees. i mean i wish everyone fun with the game if they are enjoying it, for me it just doesn´t cut it anymore. i think it was timewasting at its best and from the peoples i´ve met there were quite a few idiots in this game(not from here!)

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
FOMO on the Eververse stuff is what really bothers me. Everything else is fair game as they are trying new things and year 4(or D3) won't do this again.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate my time with Destiny 2, but I still easily fell out of it and honestly this philosophy was one reason why. I just don't have the time or motivation to constantly stick with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Destiny 2 feels an utterly pointless game after 150 hours of gameplay.

I have completed all the campaign's except Shadowkeep and put in a ton of hours in various modes.

It was fun while it lasted, but what exactly is the point of the game other than grinding like a madman for guns that don't really mean much?

In D2, you do the same shit over and over and over again. It's boring as hell.
Game type just isn't for you breh.

This is the kind of game that appeals to the Warframe, Diablo, Path of Exile kind of player for whom getting cool loot is fun and the treadmill of killing things to get it is enjoyable.

That ain't you. So you've saved yourself money as Diablo 4 will not be for you either.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
i also don´t get why people are getting so overly..protective when it comes to this game. it is like in WoW high times, you said something and there were people swarming in like killer bees. i mean i wish everyone fun with the game if they are enjoying it, for me it just doesn´t cut it anymore. i think it was timewasting at its best and from the peoples i´ve met there were quite a few idiots in this game(not from here!)

People are jumping on your posts because the current issues in the game are not the ones you posted. It feels like you are a time traveler.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

No one is over protective of this game. The folk that actually play it are more critical of it than anyone else. They're criticizing the game in this very thread at this very moment. They're just critical of it for the right reasons, whereas you're not because your critique stems from an experience that is no longer relevant.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think "you had to be there" is turning off players but if that's the explanation we're giving the past two seasons then it's one of many reasons why players are being turned off (again)

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bailed this year after playing on and off since the original Destiny. The final straw for me was the FOMO stuff and the battle pass system. I just wasn't willing to look at a bar of loot that required a minimum amount of playtime. Maybe that's not so different from a raid or exotic quest and maybe it's more transparent, but it killed all momentum I had going forward.

Still love watching the raids on day 1 though! That and seeing the Saint-14 quest stuff via youtube. Kinda sucks that the lore character who's armor I rocked through the entirety of Destiny 1 only popped in after I'd tapped out, but oh well.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Not to change the topic but my opinion on someones who spent a decent amount of time and $$$ in Warframe is that it just doesn't feel polished. Eveery time I log in I forget where I am or what I was doing or what I should be doing. And the gameplay doesn't capture me nearly as much as Destiny does.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
People are jumping on your posts because the current issues in the game are not the ones you posted. It feels like you are a time traveler.

ok, then, understood. just could share my experience, i´ve left the game end of 2018 and back then it was already like running in circles.

No one is over protective of this game. The folk that actually play it are more critical of it than anyone else. They're criticizing the game in this very thread at this very moment. They're just critical of it for the right reasons, whereas you're not because your critique stems from an experience that is no longer relevant.

yeah, can see the point..in the end it seems it is not satisfying now as it was not satisfying when i´ve left the game...so, seems like there were changes but not really revitalizing to the game

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Game type just isn't for you breh.

This is the kind of game that appeals to the Warframe, Diablo, Path of Exile kind of player for whom getting cool loot is fun and the treadmill of killing things to get it is enjoyable.

That ain't you. So you've saved yourself money as Diablo 4 will not be for you either.

I wish Destiny appealed to me like those games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: An aRPG loot shooter is probably one of the hardest types of games to design, and I do not envy the devs for taking on such a monumental task. Especially when you add competitive multiplayer to the mix. But Bungie have still consistently proven to me that they don't quite understand what makes the games you've mentioned good.

Feb 21, 2019
While I do appreciate that Destiny put many of its "exotic" weapons at the ends of quests and not RNG (that is severlely irritating)....Through all of the nerfs, sandbox changes, grind...eventually.....you just kinda fade away. I love Destiny. I think its a great IP, but they really need to figure out what works and what doesn't. We are 5, almost 6 years in and they still cant seem to figure it out.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people had a lot of complaints about the temporary contract system in Hitman too.

I think it can work from the perspective of an annual event like in MMOs, but otherwise people will just get angry and turned off.

des0lar

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for reminding me to uninstall this absolutely unimaginative game. Played through the free stuff in a couple of evenings and still cannot understand the hype this game received. Utterly mediocre.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Played a ton of Destiny 1, came into Destiny 2 hoping they had learned their lessons and would be building on top of the foundation of where they left off Destiny 1 at the end of it's expansions... instead I saw they had not nearly learned as much as I had hoped with Destiny 2 and had kinda taken 1 step forward and 2 back.

Played through the Destiny 2 including a few completions of the Raid, and just dropped off... came back when it went F2P and played through the free expansion story missions and left it at that. And I honestly think that's where I am at with the game, I'll return when the next story expansion goes free and play through that before dropping it again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's true, to be honest. Forsaken was the best year in the history of Destiny for me but I've been pretty turned off with how much they have doubled down on the "do it or lose it" nonsense. It already had plenty of stuff like that and they've just added more. One of Destiny's best aspects was being able to go at your own pace. By the end of Destiny 1, I was still able to go back and get the majority of loot that I had missed and still experience most activities.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wish Destiny appealed to me like those games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: An aRPG loot shooter is probably one of the hardest types of games to design, and I do not envy the devs for taking on such a monumental task. Especially when you add competitive multiplayer to the mix. But Bungie have still consistently proven to me that they don't quite understand what makes the games you've mentioned good.
Huh. Then it's just this game for you. I'm a couple of thousand hours into Destiny 2 and I'm enjoying it to this day, as much as I enjoyed Diablo 3 where for a couple of seasons I was in the top 15 in all of North America on the leaderboards for solo Greater Rifts.

When I get burned out on PvE weapon grinds (or if I get everything I really wanted), I either go play PvP in perpetuity or I go play something else. Seems perfectly fine to me.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

I have completed all the campaign's except Shadowkeep and put in a ton of hours in various modes.

It was fun while it lasted, but what exactly is the point of the game other than grinding like a madman for guns that don't really mean much?

I mean...150 hours is allot of time for anything to become stale.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is the only positive thing there is to me about these types of games though. I don't like doing the same thing over and over and that's why I don't play multiplayer games that much but beyond very brief story campaigns the only "magic" I've found to Destiny as a video game is that the world lives on its own based on what the developers do when they run the servers on a frequent basis.

Sure, there's a dick-comparison going on, that an event awarded more active players with a bigger gun, but to me it's more about the community engagement and the immersion of a world that is lived in when you're in hibernation.

So remove that and I don't even have any reason to return IMO. But that being said I also just think Bungie has been bad at designing accessible content in these events for lightweight players, but the workload's gotta go somewhere. Before Forsaken and New Light, Bungie made it a casual game and players hated it. I'm always gonna be in favor of a hardcore crowd for a video-game than a casual one. After all, as a casual player of certain things I literally play with one foot out the door. The game doesn't mean much to me, it's just a potential nice source of relaxation or time-waster. I can just find hundreds of other games if I really need it.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

Like 90% of all games feel pointless after a fraction of that time.

Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
Seasons are the reason I finally quit Destiny. What reason is there to play a game that's all about the loot you can't get anymore if you missed the three month window.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing less because of this. I started when Destiny came to Steam and the game dumped loads of quests and activities on me that I can do anytime I choose but then with each season they add things that I have to do in a set amount of time. It leaves me ignoring all my old quests and focusing on stuff that comes with the new season and I don't feel like I can play what I want instead I have to do the season stuff right away in order to not miss out on it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing after it went F2P and got lots of "introduction: <game mechanic>" quests given to me and no campaign to speak of. It turns out that you have to talk to some random out-of-the-way NPC to start the campaigns and even then the full experience isn't there. So I permanently missed out.

The game itself felt way too overwhelming so I just didn't bother playing. Maybe if I had the campaign as it originally was...

Even the shitty exotic quests are there too, and for every character you start.

They REALLY need to start figuring this out on certain quests to be one and done account wide. It's annoying to see mountains and mountains of crappy quests in the log to find out you potentially already achieved the item years ago but didn't know because you started the game again years later.

They really need to purge and re-design old quests to fit with the new content badly. No one wants to run those old crappy specific versrions of strikes to do those guns half the time. I was stuck doing on solo till like the last 20 seconds of the mission for matchmaking.

The reason why all these games were so loved in the beginning like the original destiny and even the original division was because Games as a Service wasn't the norm. Now that everyone literally has one out, no one wants to live in a single game anymore........they don't want it to be a lifestyle.....but want to make a lifestyle around a clever and engaging game. This season bullshit was not the reason we all played D1

Oct 30, 2017
Destiny 2's awful timed events are largely why I stopped playing it. It's a shame because I like the gameplay and I like playing with my buddies, but I hate how I constantly have to keep playing to play the content because they just remove content for no reason. I'd honestly just rather play other games.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Crash team racing is the only GAAS game I like because they bring the content back permanently later.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
been this way for a while (now worse) but who cares, games already bloated, and having a shitton to do without any time is better than not having anything to do with a lot of time. People still leave the game sure, but they can come and pick it back up easily after a break. That's why I and many others have done.

i thought you were insane. That's well written.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Loaded up the game after the newest expansion dropped, 30 minutes in realized it was more of the same crap with a very small amount of story sprinkled in and haven't loaded it again since.

That's exactly it for me, it's not the FOMO stuff as such, it's that the bulk of what these seasons seem to be is just a bland, boring, identikit blueprint of plug-in activities and rewards. A tedious grind spending hundreds of hours checking boxes for boring stuff that's 9 times out of 10 worse than something you already have. I imagine these seasons are as boring to create for Bungie staff as they are to take part in.

Once again I've paid for Destiny content I have no intention of playing as it seems pointless, rahter than FOMO being something keeping me there playing as much as I did for the 2nd half of last year, it's CBFA even firing the game up for even an hour or two a week, so it goes completely untouched.

if players see too much to do in too limited of a time, it's not that they might not finish all the content, it's that they might not even bother starting it.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This aspect of Live Games always bugs me, but also makes me see how fragile the loop is their trying to create.

Like the last game that did this sort of thing was Mario Kart Tour. You want to play it all the time because every 2 weeks they change the courses and add new characters and stuff, and you want to play a lot to earn gems so you can (potentially) earn what you want.

But then I stopped playing it for a week or two over the holidays and the spell was broken immediately. I missed some new characters, I didn't rank high enough to get any gems, and at that point I have no more urge to play it.
The second the FOMO wears out I realize that that's all there really is.

I think this kind of thing can work on a rare few games, like MMOs, but with so many games trying to do it it just makes it impossible to invest time in more than one of them without "missing out" at some point, so I just avoid then entirely if I'm just going to get that feeling anyways.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the danger of FOMO. Once a player has missed out on enough they become numb to it and start to not care about the game.

May 25, 2019
London
Jesus Christ we played and quit at the exact same times. I even grinded out last season title. Started this new season with excitement. Saw where it was headed and by the time Xur came around that second week, I was gone.

MHW had an update around that time and when I logged back into destiny it felt like "these guys are punishing me for not logging in and grinding daily." That's not ok. Taking events out of a game this shallow is not ok.

Yeah, I really didn't like the FOMO it was starting to give me and I felt like it was bordering on a compulsive disorder/addiction, so I just dropped it outright.

Picked up some smaller games on Steam sales around that time that have been giving me a lot more enjoyment because they respect my time

Oct 31, 2017
jesus christ, i'm glad i'm not addicted to this bs.

this is a crime and the gaming community should rise against this kind of game.

I got anxiety just by reading the report

I would say a huge number of the modern gaming marketplace is all about this kind of thing though. They want that psychological social coercion treadmill to keep them running as their brains have been conditioned to interpret it as fun/joy.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Even the shitty exotic quests are there too, and for every character you start.

They REALLY need to start figuring this out on certain quests to be one and done account wide. It's annoying to see mountains and mountains of crappy quests in the log to find out you potentially already achieved the item years ago but didn't know because you started the game again years later.

They really need to purge and re-design old quests to fit with the new content badly. No one wants to run those old crappy specific versrions of strikes to do those guns half the time. I was stuck doing on solo till like the last 20 seconds of the mission for matchmaking.

The reason why all these games were so loved in the beginning like the original destiny and even the original division was because Games as a Service wasn't the norm. Now that everyone literally has one out, no one wants to live in a single game anymore........they don't want it to be a lifestyle.....but want to make a lifestyle around a clever and engaging game. This season bullshit was not the reason we all played D1
I did the Hallowed Lair Memento on Stadia when doing my Bastion.

I didn't get another person to join until a little over halfway through it. The third didn't show up until we were almost to the boss. I didn't care, though, because it's got a 750 PL requirement and, honestly, it's not hard to begin with.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only positive thing there is to me about these types of games though. I don't like doing the same thing over and over and that's why I don't play multiplayer games that much but beyond very brief story campaigns the only "magic" I've found to Destiny as a video game is that the world lives on its own based on what the developers do when they run the servers on a frequent basis.

Sure, there's a dick-comparison going on, that an event awarded more active players with a bigger gun, but to me it's more about the community engagement and the immersion of a world that is lived in when you're in hibernation.

So remove that and I don't even have any reason to return IMO. But that being said I also just think Bungie has been bad at designing accessible content in these events for lightweight players, but the workload's gotta go somewhere. Before Forsaken and New Light, Bungie made it a casual game and players hated it. I'm always gonna be in favor of a hardcore crowd for a video-game than a casual one. After all, as a casual player of certain things I literally play with one foot out the door. The game doesn't mean much to me, it's just a potential nice source of relaxation or time-waster. I can just find hundreds of other games if I really need it.

Hardcore players seem to not be happy either with this. The content is mostly shallow and pointlessly grindy. The event was neat but it wasn't something that most players could help solve other than data collection.

Kamolahy

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of game design is an ultra middle finger to anyone who has responsibilities outside of gaming. Who are they building this for, streamers and college kids?

To be fair, I also adopt a "not everything has to be made for me" life philosophy, so I just don't play Destiny 2 anymore. Not because I hate it, but because they have indicated with their design choices that I'm not an interesting customer to keep on board.