• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like the title lacks context?

Like of all-time? This year? This week?

Reading the article, it seems like talking about the last few weeks, which is still impressive.

Yea it's missing context but this is basically numbers for current weekly viewership. It's not a measure of better than other shows or all year, but is basically saying that right now, its one of the most watched shows at this time.

Also the number in this style is misleading as with a show with a weekly format like the Disney+ shows are going to keep getting viewers every week. Shows people binge will spike for a couple weeks and often drop off. But weekly format means numbers get pushed up every week.

It doesn't exactly tell us a whole lot on how popular it is compared to the pure viewership numbers of shows on other streaming service. A show might get a massive viewership in one week instead of a steady flow of viewers which also benefits during draughts of releases, keeping a show in the top for months

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
bUt ThEy ShOuLd JuSt ReLeAsE iT AlL aT oNcE.
EuGfo3OVIAMSww8
lol

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is something to be said for having time to think about an episode, absorb the events that happened, and spend a week in conjecture about what's going to happen next. I really miss sitting around the lunch table at the office talking about last night's episode of whatever.
I feel the same way. Maybe it's a product of being older and having the majority of my TV watching life be like this. I yearn for the days of not having to have coded conversations about shows to figure out how far along the other people are in the series. Then having Rick from accounting come by and blow the whole damn show because he sat on the couch for 7 hours straight last weekend.

This is how I imagine Slay wakes up every morning.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Yea it's missing context but this is basically numbers for current weekly viewership. It's not a measure of better than other shows or all year, but is basically saying that right now, its one of the most watched shows at this time.
Yeah I don't even understand the point of this, I guess congrats to Wandavision because it's the most viewed "original show" of this week ?
Also lol at OP trying to derail his own thread into a Marvel vs DC thing.
Oh now I think I understand the point of this thread.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol Piracy data. Ironically I also felt it's one of the metrics to see if a show is popular or not.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
13 year old "fad"; 😂

The show is goddamn amazing. Its tying completely into Endgame and more and its... REALLY well done so yeah. People are on board.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Then wait until all the episodes have aired. You're not talking to anyone about it so it shouldn't make a difference.
The difference is that the person would have to wait way longer to see it.

Don't many people here always shout "give us the choice or the option" with games like soulsborne?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
MCU fatigue was really getting to me but finally getting multiverse stuff and WandaVision have been the perfect booster shot to get me excited again.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So how accurate is this Parrot Analytics?

Not like it matters. MCU fans will take it as gospel.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. The show is excellent.

That being said, it kind of makes since. I mean Marvel hasn't released anything since Far From Home. This scratches the itch.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So what is Parrot Analytics logic in determining this? Everything I find on Google about them says they are a marketing company.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone talking about WandaVision when an anime is the most popular show?

Also reading that article, I really hate having a meaningless metric like demand. If you can't talk about actual viewership numbers then you shouldn't be in this business.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Don't many people here always shout "give us the choice or the option" with games like soulsborne?
Sure, so you have thy option to wait. Releasing it all at once doesn't make sense for Disney or the viewer. You watch it all, then you just move on to the next thing. If you're so interested that you can't bare the wait, then watch it weekly.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a succinct breakdown of the MCU that we can watch before diving in? I've watch a solid portion of MCU stuff by my wife hasn't.

Or is it not even needed?

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
At least Marvel's doing something interesting and creative with the TV shows, you couldn't pay me to watch any more of the movies.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think the pandemic is probably something that really benefited the MCU. It gave everyone a bit of a break from the constant flow as well as that time allowed people to miss having something new in the MCU so new content is going to be highly anticipated when it gets released. WandaVision really is coming at a nice time to fill that void.

That said, the source of this thread seems pretty lacking in credibility and while I have no doubt WandaVision is doing well, I wouldn't take the source as a fact at this point.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Uhm, no one questioning the methodology of how they came up with that? Seems pretty shady. I think that same org said that AoT was the biggest show in the world in the last few weeks. With MHA at at like 3rd place.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well... How exactly are you supposed to have the option if you allow people to binge it? If you give an option to do that, then weekly discussion is immediately ruined, because people will know how everything ends and flood social media with it. Even somewhere "isolated" (being generous) like Era, you'd just have people coyly hinting at what happens. There'd be no point in trying to pretend that everything is normal, where you could speculate freely.

Whereas with a weekly model, all one has to do is patiently wait if they want to binge it all. They'd have to avoid spoilers too (easier if the show isn't highly anticipated/popular), but that's a much easier ask compared to the binge model being guaranteed to kill weekly discussion.

I definitely have some shows I prefer to binge, but in terms of what comes closest to pleasing everyone, it's the weekly model for sure.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, no one questioning the methodology of how they came up with that? Seems pretty shady. I think that same org said that AoT was the biggest show in the world in the last few weeks. With MHA at at like 3rd place.
Yeah these studies are all bullshit. The only people that know the numbers are the streaming services themselves.

If people seriously think "Attack of Titans" anime is pulling bigger numbers than WandaVision then I don't know what to tell you. If you can accept that that particular claim is bullshit then the whole thing falls apart. They claim to have a magic system but it's just nonsense so some rich pricks can make money.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Well... How exactly are you supposed to have the option if you allow people to binge it? If you give an option to do that, then weekly discussion is immediately ruined, because people will know how everything ends and flood social media with it. Even somewhere "isolated" (being generous) like Era, you'd just have people coyly hinting at what happens. There'd be no point in trying to pretend that everything is normal, where you could speculate freely.

Whereas with a weekly model, all one has to do is patiently wait if they want to binge it all. They'd have to avoid spoilers too (easier if the show isn't highly anticipated/popular), but that's a much easier ask compared to the binge model being guaranteed to kill weekly discussion.

I definitely have some shows I prefer to binge, but in terms of what comes closest to pleasing everyone, it's the weekly model for sure.
I understand that, and from a business it's the best model. I just wanted to give another perspective when one of often posted main argument is "weekly is better to participate in era hype / SM threads". I'm not fighting to the teeth for binge.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, and from a business it's the best model. I just wanted to give another perspective when one of often posted main argument is "weekly is better to participate in era hype / SM threads". I'm not fighting to the teeth for binge.

Yea I get you, I'm just saying the weekly model is the closest we'll get to giving a viewer multiple options despite not being a perfect solution. Whereas the binge model immediately screws over those who prefer weekly.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I used to question why companies use Parrot Analytics, but then I see threads like this and reddit posts and I suddenly understand why.

Jul 4, 2018
Parrot Analytics is garbage, all about social media buzz, piracy and a bunch of other useless metrics

Nielsen isn't perfect either (TV only viewing, 1 month delayed, US only etc.) but at least gives us actual numbers and it isn't looking nearly as rosy for the 2 episode premier of Wanda. For reference the first episode of Mando S2 got over 1B minutes of view time which is about 2.5x Wandas 400m. Also Mando even though it Ben over for 3-4 weeks still makes the list and is not far behind Wanda.

EuKbOWaVEAIGGbm

source:https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-t...utm_content=nielsen&utm_campaign=Global+Media

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna do even crazier number when X-Men and Mephisto make their full fledged appearances next week.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Parrot Analytics is garbage, all about social media buzz, piracy and a bunch of other useless metrics

Nielsen isn't perfect either (TV only viewing, 1 month delayed, US only etc.) but at least gives us actual numbers and it isn't looking nearly as rosy for the 2 episode premier of Wanda. For reference the first episode of Mando S2 got over 1B minutes of view time which is about 2.5x Wandas 400m. Also Mando even though it Ben over for 3-4 weeks still makes the list and is not far behind Wanda.

EuKbOWaVEAIGGbm

source:https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-t...utm_content=nielsen&utm_campaign=Global+Media

Off-topic but fyi this isn't true anymore. I was in the Nielsen program until a couple of weeks ago, and they told us that every device you can stream on now carries a Nielsen signal. They also provide headphones adapters.

Jul 4, 2018
Off-topic but fyi this isn't true anymore. I was in the Nielsen program until a couple of weeks ago, and they told us that every device you can stream on now carries a Nielsen signal. They also provide headphones adapters.
I mean in the image I posted says "U.S Viewing through Television" so unless they announce a change, I'm still going to assume this only measures TV viewership. Also as this is a month delayed what you mention may have not happened for these rating but may change shortly.

Oct 28, 2017

EuKbOWaVEAIGGbm

Parrot Analytics is garbage, but to be fair, the article says it didn't really start making a splash til episode 5. Probably because the show wasn't really too exciting or interesting until that part. I know a lot of people who were completely uninterested in the show until they started hearing about episode 4 and 5 being much better. I think we're likely to see some huge gains and with nothing new on the other streaming networks really catching the public interest recently, Wandavision has a real shot at coming in on top on those weeks.