• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki confirmed to reporters during a press briefing that the Biden administration won't extend student loan relief — and the student loan payment pause will end January 31, 2022. (No, Biden won't extend student loan relief again). Here are some highlights from her comments:
  • "In the coming weeks, we will release more details about our plans"
  • "We will engage directly with federal student loan borrowers to ensure they have the resources they need and are in the appropriate repayment plan."
  • "We are still assessing the impact of the Omicron variant."
  • "A smooth transition back into repayment is a high priority for the administration."
  • "The Department of Education is already communicating with borrowers to help them to help to prepare for return to repayment on February 1."
  • "41 million borrowers have benefitted from the extended student loan payment pause, but it expires February 1, so right now we're just making a range of preparations."
Progressive members of Congress, leading advocacy groups and student loan borrowers have lobbied President Joe Biden to extend the student loan payment pause beyond January 31, 2022. (Here's a list of everyone who wants Biden to extend student loan relief). They cite potential financial devastation for millions of borrowers if temporary student loan forbearance isn't extended. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) say that 89% of student loan borrowers feel financially unprepared to restart student loan payments.

They also argue that nine million student loan borrowers in default will suffer further financial detriment. With other U.S. senators, they have pressured Biden to postpone the return to student loan payments for at least several months and at most until the end of the Covid-19 health emergency. Despite these pleas, the Biden administration seems definitively focuses on ending this student loan relief on January 31.
When questioned by a reporter about the Biden administration's plans to help student loan borrowers, Psaki made no mention of any future plans for wide-scale student loan forgiveness. Psaki's posture has been consistent with Biden's in that the president supports wide-scale student loan cancellation of up to $10,000, but Congress should pass legislation on mass student loan forgiveness.
Dumb. He should at least extend it if he has no plans to forgive it. He could use the political points.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
"I could forgive $10k but I won't because I arbitrarily prefer Congress to do it even though we all know they won't"

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh fascism is coming down the pike? Welp better act like its not and hope for the best."

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if you just reduced the military budget a tiny bit.

The republicans won't give you relief either but that's probably what the Dems count on to not follow through and it's a gamble they think they can get away with.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dems already looking for minorities to blame when losing 2022 and probably 2024.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sometimes I really hate this party.
955873fa855f3cb8fe2bd4ab5f331eb3.jpg

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Vote blue no matter who! Such a fucking joke.

It's either vote for Democrats who run on progressive ideas and immediately abandon them while lying through their teeth or vote for literal fascists. Great system.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't need a single vote to just make the student debt go away. Something that an overwhelming majority of economists say would be an overall boon for our economy on a whole.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Remember Biden was 3rd or 4th in the primaries, Bernie was winning NH and Nevada, the party saw progressivism winning then the Dem establishment in the running dropped out to Voltron behind Biden while lobbying for cabinet picks ahead of Super Tuesday?

Anyways, I can't believe this happened!

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
What a self own for no real reason. Can't blame anyone but themselves when they lose in 2022 and 2024. Sigh.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Status quo is still infinitely better than any Republican in power but goddamn am I sick of Dems doing nothing

The dude campaigned on this shit, fulfill your promise or retire bitch

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Stupid move, but a Republican wouldn't have ended them, either. Don't use this as an excuse not to vote against fascism.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Then why make the promise to begin with? Surely it's better to under promise and over deliver rather than the other way around.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone shocked by this please check your emails because I've been getting tons of emails about this for quite awhile. Don't get caught with your pants down.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember Biden was 3rd or 4th in the primaries, Bernie was winning NH and Nevada, the party saw progressivism winning then the Dem establishment in the running dropped out to Voltron behind Biden while lobbying for cabinet picks ahead of Super Tuesday?

Remember that this is a transparently BS narrative that doesn't withstand any scrutiny and at all and that you should feel bad about continuing to perpetuate.

www.realclearpolitics.com

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

He led in nearly every single poll for pretty much the entire year leading up to the primaries, usually by double digits, and then dropped to second for like a two week period when a wildly unrepresentative sample of the Democratic party was allowed to vote.

People spent an entire year just totally dismissing the person that was leading by a lot, constantly.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
1.7 trillion tax cut
2.2 trillion for the Heroes Act
Over 2 trillion in the past 3 years for the pentagon

And Biden who voted to make it impossible to file for bankruptcy for Student Loan in 2005 didn't kept his promise.

I'm tired of my own shit reminding people who Biden is during the primary