• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on a Max so maybe the bigger battery makes a difference, but with my usage I get two days before I need to charge. I do turn off other features to save battery tho.
I'm on the XR and get really good battery life as well. I just noticed I was accidentally causing the screen to come on when I didn't want to. I do wish there was an option to remove swipe to go to the home screen though.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the XR and get really good battery life as well. I just noticed I was accidentally causing the screen to come on when I didn't want to. I do wish there was an option to remove swipe to go to the home screen though.
Yeah, I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I could do without that as well.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much any biometrics-based security system is ultimately a less secure shortcut for unlocking the device, anyway. You should already be lowering your expectations of security just by using it.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I recently upgraded to XS Max and I'll be the first to tell you that I was skeptic on Face ID, but it really does work. In the dark, I just need the screen to be bright enough for it to recognize my face, which I find amazing when I wake up early in the morning.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
RWqjzEX.gif
200w.gif

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I asked a criminal defense lawyer on twitter if police could compel an unlock of your phone with facial recognition by holding it up to your face and he said theirs no reason why they couldn't because it's all stuff collected(like your photo) in your booking.

So, FaceID is good for 3rd party malicious actors but the police can still bypass it if they want to if they have you in custody.
Set FaceID to require attention. (On by default.) If someone holds it in front of your face just avoid eye contact with it. After a few attempts it will go into a fail state and require a PIN to unlock.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I asked a criminal defense lawyer on twitter if police could compel an unlock of your phone with facial recognition by holding it up to your face and he said theirs no reason why they couldn't because it's all stuff collected(like your photo) in your booking.

So, FaceID is good for 3rd party malicious actors but the police can still bypass it if they want to if they have you in custody.
Apple has a "kill switch" for this. Hold power and volume up for a few seconds. FaceID will stop working and won't start again until you enter your pin.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I find it more curious as to why the fake didn't work on the iPhone. If its an EXACT replica, eye spacing, ears blah blah blah I would expect the copy to work across the board.

Also there was reports of the iPhone unlocking both for a Mom and Son https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/51825...phonex-face-recognition-cant-tell-them-apart/

The mom/son situation with Face ID is explained easily if they shared the passcode.

Face ID runs an adaptive averaging system so that it adapts to beards growing, new glasses, etc. If it fails, and the passcode is entered quickly, and the failure was still a match above 80% or so, it adds the failed face to an average.

so this doesn't affect husbands/wives sharing passcodes, but it has been the cause of multiple cases of kids being able to match, because kids faces are often close to one parent or other.

Given that this story was published in 2017, if it was a real, common problem, it'd be a much bigger scandal now. Instead, it's pretty clear Face ID is generally very secure, with some exceptions like sharing passcodes with relatives and identical twins.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you just have to give it up to the criminal scumbag.

If someone can capture my face without me knowing it and then perfectly replicate a 3D printing of my entire head and then somehow use it to gain access to my phone then they kind of earned a look inside my WhatsApp messages.

TiL olds use WhatsApp

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
That's why I only use the fingerprint scanner or the pin to unlock my OnePlus 6t. Face-scanning on Android is very superficial- pretty much any photograph of yourself can probably fool it.

Don't really care though as the on screen fingerprint reader of the 6t is cool as shit and its great to already have tech which will be the big feature of all of next year's models of flagship phones.

Dosia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
retrain it. really.

mine worked great, and I grew a beard. continued to work great, but noticed it becoming more and more finicky despite having already gone from shaven to a full massive beard and it working great. I blew away my saved face, retrained it.. back to working almost too good (i.e. something flashes up on the screen and if I even glance at the screen turning on it unlocks it.. despite someone standing in my cube..)

biggest issue with people insisting it's bad seems to frequently be they train it when they first get their phone.. don't realize it's not trained super great.. then struggle through it failing. just retrain it. make sure to follow the instructions, and make sure you're holding your phone while training EXACTLY as you expect to hold your phone when you use it.

I have. I feel it doesnt work in low light or dark rooms 75% of the time. I have gotten used to typing in the passcode at night. Finger print was just so much more convenient in my experience and always worked aside from having a wet or sweaty finger.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I have. I feel it doesnt work in low light or dark rooms 75% of the time. I have gotten used to typing in the passcode at night. Finger print was just so much more convenient in my experience and always worked aside from having a wet or sweaty finger.
um... ok this is super weird. In fact it works better in no light situations than it does during like super bright daylight. because of the way the IR blaster works, the less ambient IR the better it works.

my buddy does have an issue.. funny you say this. he's basically blind as a bat.. so when he picks up his phone at night.. especially during the night, it never works. his assumption (and I agree) is that when the light hits his blind-as-a-bat eyes he squints hard both to reduce the harshness and to try and see the screen. We've concluded that it's recognizing his face just fine, but that it's failing on attention. When not in this situation (ok to exceptional lighting) Face ID works perfectly for him. In the dark.. it mostly doesn't work.

try turning off attention for Face ID and see if this helps it at night. he did this. it worked great. but he prefers to have it turned on so he just deals with entering the passcode after his eyes adjust.

From what I understand they can compel you to look at it
largely untested. belief is that they can forcibly hold the phone in front of you, but can't compel you to look at it.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I did the initial set up of Face ID at night in a room with the lights off (though not 100% pitch black); the only trouble I've had related to lighting has been outside on an extremely bright day at a specific angle to the sun, once.

You may want to try the initial set up again, in a dark room, and see if it improves.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Thank god Apple stays the last bastion of security and user data privacy. But other than that, their offerings get worse imo. I don't want to use FaceID for other reasons. Just bring back Touch ID and I'll keep using it +passcode.