• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I understand the unique position Nintendo is in, specific to sharing islands with other family and friends, thus inhibiting their ability to leverage their current cloud backup strategy. I would have thought a simple solution could be sorted out with relative ease - but I don't work for Nintendo and am not an expert, so I don't want to push that narrative. This thread isn't necessarily to moan and complain.

However, regardless of the reasons behind the issue, I am stuck debating how I want to play AC: New Horizons.

I have both a regular Switch, that stays docked 99% of the time, and a Switch Lite that I take on 99% of my business and personal trips - or to friends and family's houses. I adore the Switch Lite. I think it's the best way to experience the Switch - it's super light, hyper portable for the type of games it plays, has a dedicated D-Pad, and is overall just a joy to use. It's great on a plane. In the backseat of a car. In bed while my wife reads. If it had Bluetooth and an OLED display, I'd argue it's pretty much perfect. It may go on to be one of my favorite systems ever.

That said, I do on occasion really enjoy playing my Switch games on the TV. It's great taking my progress in FFXII or DQ11, cloud syncing in all of about 5 seconds, and then sitting on my comfy couch and playing games. Of course, when people come over and I want to show something in a game - a pretty common experience for AC - it's nice to be able to huddle around the TV. Better "graphics" (in terms of performance and resolution) are also a nice perk. And of course, there's the comfort of the Pro Controller.

The short version? If I play AC on Lite, I'm stuck to forever experiencing my growing town on a tiny 5" screen with controls that are inferior to a full controller at home. If I play on my docked Switch, sure I have full portability and the ability to play at home - but I know myself well enough to know I won't ever grab my full size Switch when I go on a trip, meaning AC doesn't come with me.

What are you doing?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing it on my Lite. But the whole situation annoys the hell out of me tbh, and I think their reasoning is bullshit.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't decided, bugs me so much. I keep my Lite at work and my regular at home. And i hate that i gotta choose between :/

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Switch light, and digital copy. Id rather have AC with me at all times and the ligher/smaller switch is perfect for that!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This whole thing is incredibly stupid. Who would've thought that a virtual economy would be so seen as so valued as to prevent true cloud saves?

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Switch lite :) Gave my og switch to my wife when i bought the switch lite, buying 2 copies too

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
On the OG switch, which really sucks. It's so annoying it actually makes me get upset. I usually don't get upset over video game related stuff but this is just so stupid

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably the og switch, just in case i want the versatility. but it sucks.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lite. It's my "primary" system and the only one I travel with now. Animal crossing is totally the kind of game I play when sitting at airports or when waiting for friends to show up at a meeting place, and most of them want to play and trade stuff too when they do come, so it'll be on my system and ready to go wherever I am.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Well, buying the cartridge version, guess you can have two different island if you got two systems?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I'll be playing in original Switch since I plan in playing mostly at home and if I decide to play somewhere else I could just put it on its bag and take it. I use the Switch Lite mostly for the "impossible ports" since it is a bit more surprising playing Witcher, DQXI, MK11 on tiny devices. XD

Partner is not sure since with the AC Switch, it will be his third Switch (neon and yellow Lite are the others).

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Animal Crossing imo is first and foremost a mobile/handheld game. I'll be playing it on the Lite.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
OG, because we're gonna want it on the TV at some point. The situation is trash though.

OP
OP
Skel1ingt0n

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I got my code from Best Buy and I installed it on my Switch Lite. I guess that's where I'll be playing - feels real dumb considering I picked up the AC Special Edition Switch... but the Lite is just my preferred way to play and so it's foolish not to put it on the device I'll have with me most often.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm going with the original. I don't play on the TV much but this game is so beautiful I may have to make the odd exception.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Lite. It feels good to move around with Animal Crossing. :) And the graphics will look great on that screen.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the lite when it released in anticipation of animal crossing, but I hate the way this turned out. I'll probably have a game on both for a while so I can see it on TV, but lite will be the main