• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
it was a launch One X and I played the fuck out of it. Easily my most used console of the entire last gen thanks to Red Dead Online, and you would only really hear it when I was playing Red Dead, which is obviously a demanding title.

Still, even at it's loudest it was nowhere near the jet engine that was my PS4 Pro at any given moment... so happy that's over.
I see, I also played tons of RDR2 but I think it's quieter than what you describe. Mine was bought a year later so maybe they improved it in some capacity. Anyways, happy the new consoles are quiet at worst and silent at best.

Sep 7, 2020
I have both and my PS5 is considerably louder at times than my series X. I have been doing a run through of TLOU2 again and it just starts humming loudly. I do not have similar issues with my series X as of yet.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
im not sure what everyone's deal with but my ps5 is silent. that said, i did put in vertically with lotsa spaces for airflow.

T05P8l8_d.webp

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't heard the series Xs, other than the start up beep. The PS5 is a little louder but not much. I hear disc for the PS5, don't have Xbox disc to compare disc noise. PC with 3080 sounds like a damn rocket ship compared to the next gen consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Both are dead silent except for when a disc is spinning in my PS5 then it's loud as all hell. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be as loud as it is, but since it's only a few seconds here and there I can deal with it.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Both disc drives make sound. Ps5 one is louder.

Otherwise the series X is silent.
Ps5 buzzes but isn't noticeable unless I have an ear to the console.

So Xbox wins but both are good.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Mine are both silent. I sit about 6 feet away

Oh, unless there's a disc in either of them. Series X is noticeable but not too bad. PS5 disc noise ramps the fuck up and vibrates my furniture, but I bought a Sorbothane pad that sits under the stand, and has DRASTICALLY reduced the impact of that.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Own both.
The series x is dead silent all the time, wouldn't know it is on.
The ps5 is dead silent as well except for the fact that it randomly makes a disc read ( I assume) noise at random intervals. Which is odd given the fact the disc in the drive is not a game that is being played ( and discs are copied to the ssd anyway).
This being said there is no disc in the series x ( skipped xbox one generation, don't own a disc for it yet ).

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
My PS5 is extremely loud when it boots up. Takes about a minute for it to settle down. Pretty quite for the most part after that while playing games. However, I've noticed the PS5 getting really loud randomly when I'm not doing anything tho (just on the dashboard). Anyone have anything similar

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Both are quiet, but my Series X is effectively silent unless it's spinning a disc. I can occasionally hear the PS5. Neither are loud, though it sounds like maybe I got lucky with the "coil whine" and stuff.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Series X is silent. PS5 is like 90 percent silent. The horror of the ps4 pro are over for me.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have both and they've been quiet for the most part. I can hear the ps5 sometimes. The series x never makes any noise.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Series X is completely silent unless you get right up to it you can hear just a little hum of the fan. Haven't really played any games that push it yet though.

PS5 is quiet for the most part. Godfall and Demons Souls had some coil whine, AC Valhalla and Astro no coil whine. Backwards compatible games are pretty much silent just slight fan. Apps are completely silent.

PS5 disc drive is loud as hell when installing, spins up randomly maybe every 40 min when playing but is more quiet then. Haven't tested Series x disc drive yet.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Hearing some, what I think is, coil whine. Playing Miles Morales at the moment.

Will try and get a second PS5 console in hopes of it being a silent one as described by people in this thread.

While the noise isn't bad now, I'm feeling it could get worse as the generation goes on.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
My PS5 is quiet, my series x is silent. That's the difference. Not really a big deal in my ps5's case either way. But the Xbox is a console designed by wizards