• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Generally speaking as a series whole. I know some KH games are weaker than others.

• Yes - still a lot of fun to play by themselves and I'm glad I did.

Votes: 67 60.4%
  • Ehhh - they were okay. Just really glad I played them so now I'm ready for KH3

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • No - they weren't enjoyable and felt like a slog. Questioning if I should even bother with KH3.

Votes: 20 18.0%

• Total voters

BoTalksGames

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I played most of the series back in 2015 but this year I finally finished BBS, DDD, 0.2 and the movies both of those collections have. Combat in BBS was fantastic but the world design kinda sucked because it was a PSP game, felt really barren and limited. DDD was great too but I hated the Drop mechanic. Shouldn't be randomly pulled out of a boss fight because of a timer.

0.2's performance was kinda worrying for me but I'm sure I'll get adjusted to 30FPS relatively easily once I start KH3.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting like tomorrow or the next day, just finishing up Dragon Quest XI. I'll let you know when I'm done. I'll probably be a week or so late to Kingdom Hearts III though.

I say go for it. I played Kingdom Hearts I, Chain of Memories (the GBA version, not sure how the PS2 remake is), and II when they came out. I got lost with all the side games. But I don't plan on going into III without finishing the collection. Join me in my quest.

ThatGuyfromMars

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I went back and replayed most of them on Crit + Zero EXP when I could, I really fell in love with BBS at the time and it is now my favorite of the series.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am finishing KH2 remix on critical difficulty, and I like it but theres some strange parts and I can appreciate they try to make the variety in the gameplay but its like when you try to do too many things, some of it sucks. I also just had to skip some cutscenes that dragged on.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bordering on okay and no. KH1 is a legitimately pretty awful game, 2 plays much better but has really dull level design and the story is stupid as hell. Didn't play the other ones. Mostly want 3 for the disney stuff which atleast from videos looked more fleshed out.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I only got a bit through KH1 (I killed some big dragon) before giving up. People talk about how complex the plot to KH is, but it must happen in all of the other games because that shit was for babies. Killed all my enthusiasm to keep going with the series.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
DDD was great too but I hated the Drop mechanic.

I never got the hate for the Drop mechanic given how easy/affordable it is to buy whatever-potion that 'recharges' the meter. I dropped on a boss, the first one, and that was the last. I got more annoyed by monster micro-managing more.
--

As for the series, I end up enjoying the games with the roulette skills more than the ones with the [terrible] magic menu.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I tried to give the first game another try last month with the KH Collection, as I never played it that far let alone finish it. But man, is it a real slog. The tutorial is basically a fetch quest fest, and I ended up dropping it somewhere in the first town. I never play KH2 either (as I haven't finished KH1) and I will never be able to get into this series at this rate.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Currently on Re:Chain of memories and I'm so fucking done over the combat but I'm sooooooo close to finishing the game.

Playing reverse/rebirth with Riku and its literally the same thing as soras story but with less storytelling and I'm so fucking done with this combat.

Just so close to giving up and moving on to KH2.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The spinoffs were fucking awful save DDD, I actually enjoyed the GBA version of CoM a lot more. Didn't even know there was a remake until recently.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I replayed KH1 and 2 in the last year and really enjoyed both.

I can't bring myself to play the other ones. The mainline games are good enough to sink 50 hours into, but the spinoffs lose a lot of appeal when they're not portable.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the game. KH1 hasn't aged well, though I do like the simple story, platforming elements (even if they're floaty) and open levels. Re:CoM was an absolute chore to get through and DDD was decent but the Drop system killed it for me. But in the middle of all those is KH2 and BBS, which are both pretty fantastic.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I replayed BBS and KH2, and am working on my first full playthrough of DDD right now (though I got to the very end on 3DS). The series is still fantastic.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I voted no but still looking forward to part 3. I really don't enjoy the combat. I beat 1, started playing 2, love the atmosphere but on this "protect minnie" mission that just sucks a lot and I always turn it off.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do people even see in BBS? Are they just attracted to Aqua or something?

The story is just a really awful and convoluted Star Wars anime

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I played the collections and 3D/Re:Coded standalone last two years.

Going through PS4 remaster.

From what I remember - I loved all of it except for Re:Coded which was hot garbage.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Played BBS - Thought it was pretty good.
Played KH1 - Thought it was pretty bad.
Started CoM - Gave up on the idea of playing through it and KH2 partway through

Now I'm less excited for KH3, unfortunately...

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have much experience with the series prior to last year, and I thought they were all still pretty good games (to varying degrees obviously). The original Kingdom Hearts is definitely rough in some aspects, but it was still enjoyable for me. The characters and the world are super endearing, and it's still a nice experience overall. Despite its reputation, I thought Chain of Memories was fun too, and the story was really intriguing. It was also nice to play something completely different (in terms of gameplay) between the original Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II.

Kingdom Hearts II, Birth by Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance are very good games, without significant qualifiers. Like I said, I still had fun with the two earlier games in the collection(s), but this is where the series really started to shine for me as far as gameplay is concerned as well. As far as the movies go, I really enjoyed 358/2 Days and ended up watching it pretty much in two sittings. The other two were less enjoyable, but it seems like both tie into the plot of the upcoming game and they were still interesting (especially χ Back Cover). So yeah, taken as a whole, I'm definitely glad I finally gave the series a try and had a lot of fun catching up (from start to finish). Super excited for Kingdom Hearts III now!

Last edited:

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
KH1: it's okay i guess.
Re-Chains of memories: I fucking hate it, so i watch the summary on YouTube.
KH2: loved it.
Days: watched it, it's okay i think.
RECODED: I WANT MY 4.5 HOURS THAT I WASTED WATCHING THIS BS BACK.
BBS: loved it.
DDD: okay i guess, but now i am more confused about the story, what's going on?
0.2: loved it, i wish it was longer, the performance was not that good.
Union X back cover: why this even in the collection? I don't understand what's happening, so i watched several videos on YouTube about the rest of the story and i still don't understand what's happening.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
KH1 was rough for me. I played it on Normal but apparently I was severely underleveled by the time I reached the last slew of bosses. There was no auto-save and I had to beat a bunch of bosses back-to-back. I couldn't take a single hit (due to taking too much dmg in previous battles) and had to play perfectly. No youtube video provided any sort of strategy because all the ones I watched the players had like 20 levels above me so they just mowed down the boss.

KH2 was much better but I missed Dodge that KH1 had
BBS was good fun but I hated how bosses broke lock-on later [edit] I only played thru as waifu goddess Aqua

I loved the Disney worlds though esp in KH2.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
You don't know what hot garbage is till you play 358/2 Days.

I've been playing KH 1 leading into 3 and honestly I think it's actually better than I remember.

I actually enjoyed 358/2 days lol

Then again I last played it back in 2011 - ironically it will be the next KH game I will play in my full KH marathon lol.

But I still think despite how grindy it is from what I remember, nothing in this series will top the horrible Re:Coded with its mini game structure of multiple genres forced into a pile of heap of garbage xD

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
1 was kinda boring but good, 2 was still fantastic. BBS... played the first story, hated it and abandoned my quest of playing the bigger ones to not play at all until 3.

It's curious because just a few minutes ago I watched story recaps for BBS, Re:Coded, and DDD.
I'll watch X[chi] tomorrow and Back Cover (even if I already watched it).
Once I'm done I'll play 0.2 during the weekend.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
KH1 was rough for me. I played it on Normal but apparently I was severely underleveled by the time I reached the last slew of bosses. There was no auto-save and I had to beat a bunch of bosses back-to-back. I couldn't take a single hit (due to taking too much dmg in previous battles) and had to play perfectly. No youtube video provided any sort of strategy because all the ones I watched the players had like 20 levels above me so they just mowed down the boss.

KH2 was much better but I missed Dodge that KH1 had
BBS was good fun but I hated how bosses broke lock-on later [edit] I only played thru as waifu goddess Aqua

I loved the Disney worlds though esp in KH2.
You can get dodge by leveling up limit form in KH2.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
1 is ok but the platforming is terrible. 2FM seems like it's gonna stay the best one even after 3 is out, especially combat wise. CoM is better on GBA then on the PS4, wouldn't recommend playing it. BBS has terrible combat and badly designed superbosses. DDD is just meh like BBS.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
So far

Haaaated KH1
Loved ReCOM
Got feels from 358/2
Am presently liking KH2

I look forward to BBS next.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished BBS and it was really fun. Flawed, but my favourite overall so far.

Next up is DDD.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. Replayed them all on Critical in 2018 and greatly enjoyed them.

I was more aware of the flaws of Kingdom Hearts 2 this time around, but the additions from Final Mix made it live up to the memory. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
You can get dodge by leveling up limit form in KH2.
Yeah they told me in the thread on era discord. But I never did get my Limit form leveled up high enough

I am really bad at KH cause I never do side content. I just march straight through the story on main path. I am always underlevelled and get my ass kicked towards the end no matter what difficulty I choose

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah they told me in the thread on era discord. But I never did get my Limit form leveled up high enough

I am really bad at KH cause I never do side content. I just march straight through the story on main path. I am always underlevelled and get my ass kicked towards the end no matter what difficulty I choose
There's a grind spot where you can level up limit form to max in like 10 minutes, same goes for just about all the forms really.

I too hate doing side content to level up, I was severely under leveled in the final worlds of 1 and 2 but I wasn't going to go back and run around grinding XP. Had the same problem with XIII and XIII-2, what is up with JRPG's and having a huge level gap at the end of the game that you have to grind towards. I hate it and it needs to go. That or in Kingdom Hearts case they need to let players change the difficulty whenever, so I can play the game at a challenging difficulty and then drop it down when I'm underlevelled suddenly at the end.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
KH 1: A trip down memory lane. Camera aside, I'd say I had a decent time

Re:Chain: I actually liked the whole combat system once I understood how it worked

KH 2: THE ONE TRUE GOAT

Days: As someone who actually played it, the gameplay sucked. The story really hit home for me though. 2nd best story personally.

BBS: I had a decent time. Although I feel cheated on my level 1 run with Aqua. That Secret Episode boss fight is bullshit

Recoded: Let's not talk about this

DDD: Terrible game all around

Union X: There is some great stuff in here. While I don't mind Gatcha games, I kinda wish this was an MMO instead.

0.2: I absolutely despise Mickey Mouse. It takes a lot for the story of a game to make me angry, but my God. I can't. It ruined the whole thing for me. Nice looking tech demo I guess though.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Played and finished KH1 and GBA CoM long time ago so won't comment on them. But for titles I played recently :

KH2 : I love the combat and the boss battles, but I dislike the flat linear level design. Wish they improved the exploration aspect of KH1 instead of ditching it completely.

BBS : Probably my favorite KH. As someone who is not skilled enough to play Critical Mode, I have more fun with the combat system more than KH2. Level design is an improvement over 2 and I love the main cast. The story is basically Star Wars Prequel.

358/2 Days : :'(

DDD : Use similar combat system to BBS, but feel much worse. Also dislike the pet system with how grindy it is. Also they dumped all great bosses fight at the end of the game. Also fk the ending, it retroactively ruined the story of KH1, KH2, and KHBBS. Have the best exploration/platforming aspect though.

Azizhud

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I'm excited for the combat and gameplay but really considering skipping all the cutscenes.

Replaying the series on that PS4 collection really made me realize how utterly horrible the story is.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
KH1's levels are like mazes, I really can't be bothered to navigate them again for this replay. I'll skip to 2.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've played everything except 0.2 in the past few months (all for the first time) and I've mostly enjoyed myself. I had fun with KH1 despite the dated combat, really enjoyed 2 and BBS, and DDD was...ok. only watched the CoM movies, couldn't being myself to play it.

el_skywalker

Feb 8, 2018
Brazil
I actually replayed them and was surprised at how awfull the story actually is. Guess I wasn't nearly as critical all those years back.

Gameplaywise, they're mostly good, but never quite great.

Still pumped for KH3 even with all that, though.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
KH2 is very enjoyable to play but the story gets worse over time.
BBS has good skill fusion system but ruined by atrocious level design and an awful story with shit characters.
KH1 has not aged well at all.

The overall plot of the series is a dumpster fire

At least I had a lot of fun with KH2.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
I'm playing through them for the first time (not all, just 1, 2 and BBS). KH1 wasn't really good. It was a chore to get through and awfully boring and overally hard at times.

KH2 was A LOT more fun to play and I started getting hyped by the story a bit more towards the end. I was actually excited to fight the final boss with Riku and I thought it was great.

I've been watching cutscenes of the other games in place of playing them, so next till watch 358/2 and then play BBS. I'm excited for BBS as most people say it's great.