• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which did you like more?

• Dark Souls

Votes: 464 58.5%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 329 41.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I think I'm definitely biased. Demon's left just such a strong impression on me, and was one of my bread and butter games from literally its release, up until Dark came out. Just so many unique cool concepts that I had never seen in games before, and were so revelatory for me that first time, and I spent so much time playing in that world, that it was magical and it's painted my experiences in all games since. I just spent so much time in that world that its just super special to me.

Demon's souls is my favorite, but I see the soulsborne game like you would children. You love them all uniquely and unconditionally, and it doesn't affect your love for the other ones, but you certainly have special memories with each one/might have a closer bond to one than the others.
Yeah, I totally get it. One thing from Demon's that is just unmatched in the series in my opinion is the soundtrack. I even like it more than Bloodborne's. Shunsuke Kida did such an amazing work. It sounds so different, so weird. It fits perfectly with the ethereal atmosphere and the typical Form Software voice work.

What an amazing game. Easily the best PS3 exclusive, to me.

Oct 28, 2017
It does often appear that whichever one a person plays first is the one they like more, and I'm one of those Demon's Souls folks. I remember when people were playing the English version that was only out over in Asia at the time and I knew that I had to trade in my 360 for a PS3 just so I could have my hands on this game.

I was also a huge fan of King's Field 1&2 (skipped the ps2 sequel due to being broke at the time) so seeing that From was still working away on those dreary-ass, hard RPGs made me very happy and I was really excited to see how they had honed their craft in the ensuing years. I was not disappointed.

I'm struggling to keep myself from going too much into why I enjoy the atmosphere of Demon's over Dark, mostly because I can tell it would be a rambling affair that wouldn't really get to much point at all. Maybe it's because it was my first so it was the freshest impression, or maybe I just like the areas more (Come on, that prison has gotta' be in top 3 in lists of the best Souls Areas). I'm not saying Dark sucks or anything, it's more like I'm saying these are my two favorite flavors of ice cream, just this one is a little more my favorite than the other.

Yeah, the game play got tighter with the sequels, and Demon's was basically a mess that Miyazaki had to swoop in to salvage, but it had heart! Cold, black and filled with bile, but still, heart. There's a part of me that really likes that I can work around those jagged edges to the game, where I can craft my character to be stupidly broken with HP regeneration up the wazoo. I even liked that some weapons were just weird and made for being a jerk to other folks online, they didn't worry about balance, they worried about that sick feeling in your gut when you saw a naked red phantom running at you with a scraping spear in their hands. It was just one of those things they could get away with in those wild, early days of online console games and I really miss it.

It also has my favorite quote from any video game ever, heck, it's one of my favorite quotes from any bit of media, period.

"You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you." --Stockpile Thomas

A genuine appreciation for a good deed done in these dark and desperate times with a realistic fear that perhaps this kind person could get torn up by the world and wind up dead or, worse yet, becoming yet another soul-hungry beast.

So yeah, both fantastic games, but for me, there's just a weird twinkle to Demon's that I appreciate a little bit more.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Demon's Souls has an atmosphere that really wasn't matched until maybe Bloodborne, and not even then.

It was an amazing experience when it first came out.
Also the smaller focus on individual levels meant that the level design was generally much tighter and interesting. Nothing feels as oppressive as the tower of Latria or as claustrophobic as the mines. Weapon type could really matter in demon's souls more than Dark Souls not just because enemy resistance, but because you just weren't doing any good sweeping attacks in the tight confines. Also the soundtrack is much better than dark souls. Sakuraba has a few stand-out tracks but it really feels so samey and sounds like all of his other soundtracks.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Demon's Souls has an atmosphere that really wasn't matched until maybe Bloodborne, and not even then.

It was an amazing experience when it first came out.
Also the smaller focus on individual levels meant that the level design was generally much tighter and interesting. Nothing feels as oppressive as the tower of Latria or as claustrophobic as the mines. Weapon type could really matter in demon's souls more than Dark Souls not just because enemy resistance, but because you just weren't doing any good sweeping attacks in the tight confines. Also the soundtrack is much better than dark souls. Sakuraba has a few stand-out tracks but it really feels so samey and sounds like all of his other soundtracks.
yeah pretty much this
demon's souls has higher highs, but lower lows. dark souls is where they sanded off the rough edges to the point where it hit mainstream success. demon's souls will always hold a very special place in my heart.
also lets not forget dark souls was basically unfinished/rushed out the door so the last few dungeons are fucking terrible. especially isilith.
i think isilith is worse than anything bad in demon's souls.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yeah pretty much this
demon's souls has higher highs, but lower lows. dark souls is where they sanded off the rough edges to the point where it hit mainstream success. demon's souls will always hold a very special place in my heart.
also lets not forget dark souls was basically unfinished/rushed out the door so the last few dungeons are fucking terrible. especially isilith.
i think isilith is worse than anything bad in demon's souls.

I also feel like, despite one of the main criticisms of Demon's being all the gimmicky bosses... that game's bosses had a better "identity".
They were always the end of a level and were all very very distinct from one another. There was zero "big guy with a sword" problem like Dark 2 ended up having. It felt a bit like a megaman game in that way. Also i love the atmosphere of the nexus. All the lost and depressed souls gathering in their last hovel of solitude scheming against each other and waiting the end of the world.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Demon's and Bloodborne to Dark. Demon's is a very special game to me. I love how experimental it is, how the structure lends itself so well to replayability, how effortless the shortcuts are integrated in the levels, in a way that It isn't "open the door from the other side" or "unlock elevator". I love what it tries to do with bosses even if It isn't always succesful: I can have action focused bosses in a hundred different games, especially now that souls like are everywhere, but something like Old Monk and Astrea can be experienced only in Demon's. Item placement is perfect, the story is vague but not overly so like in future titles. The multiplayer component was revolutionary and the pvp wasn't already as gamefied as it is nowadays. Just an all around special game that I think becomes more unique as time passes, with all the Dark Souls clones that imitate the superficial elements but not what made the original so strong in the first place.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I also feel like, despite one of the main criticisms of Demon's being all the gimmicky bosses... that game's bosses had a better "identity".
They were always the end of a level and were all very very distinct from one another. There was zero "big guy with a sword" problem like Dark 2 ended up having. It felt a bit like a megaman game in that way. Also i love the atmosphere of the nexus. All the lost and depressed souls gathering in their last hovel of solitude scheming against each other and waiting the end of the world.
yup
before dark souls ever came out and i was preaching to anyone who would listen to me about demon's souls i would compare it to 3d megaman!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I can't pick. They're both equals in my mind, having pros and cons of their own. Voting is panning out how I'd expect though since more people know and have played DkS.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is much better. I greatly preferred the more interconnected world over the level based system with the stones and estus as a healing mechanism.

Demon's was my first souls game too, though Darks Souls 1 onward I had the benefit of the launch chatter when everyone was finding things out at the same time.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Demon's. It's not even nostalgia since I just played itfor the first time a month ago.

The level design is so much better it's not even funny.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls is Illmatic
Dark Souls is It Was Written

I prefer Demons Souls. Dark Souls falls off hard after Irstine & Smo.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Dark. I played Demon's afterward and found it to be kind of a test for ideas that were more fully realized in the Dark Souls series.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this is how I feel about the atmosphere of the Souls games. None of them really recaptured how Demon's felt. I think it has something to do with the use of color. Demon's and Bloodborne both have a somewhat cooler color palette than any of the Dark Souls games.

Tower of Latria and Boletarian Palace are probably still my favorite areas in Souls.

This too. With Dark Souls on forward From Software settled on making most boss fights battles of attrition. The original "model" for this was the Flamelurker in Demon's Souls which stands out as one of the hardest bosses in that game. Almost all the other ones initially seem imposing but have a gimmick you just gotta figure out.

I prefer Demons Souls. Dark Souls falls off hard after Irstine & Smo.

And this. I actually like the overall pacing in Demon's Souls because of how the levels are segmented. The first half of Dark Souls 1 is definitely stronger than Demon's but it's just not as good after that.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
They're both awesome, but I'm gonna have to go with Dark Souls. There are a lot of things I prefer about Dark Souls, but it might all boil down to bias because it's the one I played first.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Much prefer DeS, incredible atmosphere and it was unlike anything i'd played before. Plus i got to live out my Guts slaying demons fantasy.
Plus it has Yuria, who is precious.
medium.jpg

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I feel Dark Souls was kind of the advancements of ideas from Demon's Souls.

That being said - Demon's Souls was the first one I played and will always be my favorite. The Old Monk bossfight blew my mind when I got there the first time.

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I had never played any Fromsoftware game before trying Dark Souls for the first time. I attacked the Crestfallen Warrior right when I got to Firelink and he kept killing me, so I quit. Something about the game was still stuck in my mind, so I tried again about a year later. I made it to the small bridge in Undead Burg where I kept dying to the bomb throwers, and quit again.

A while later, that itch still scratching at me, I decided to try Demon's Souls. This time it started to click, and I was able to persevere all the way through. I now understood why people held these games in such high regard, and becoame a believer.

It was time to go back to Dark Souls. I had "gotten gud" and was finally able to beat it... third time's a charm!

Even though Demon's Souls was the game that got me into the series, I think Dark Souls slightly edges it out as the better game. They're both so good in their own way, of course, but Dark Souls gets my vote.

I can't wait for Blue Point's Demon's Remake!

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've always preferred Demons to Dark Souls. It's more preference than one being better than the other. BB is the other title that I'd pick over Dark Souls any day.

I always wished other games pulled more from Demons Souls than just the combat. I've yet to encounter anything like World Tendency since that first game.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's, always. I thought it was far more interesting game with more memorable things in it. I've played Dark Souls 1 for hundreds of hours, and I can safely say Demon's is better. Tower of Latria alone is better than anything in Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3. Dark, to me, felt like a multiplatform expansion pack to the real game, which was Demon's.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Demon's for me, even though I recognize that Dark did improve on a few rough spots. I just enjoyed the level design and characters much more in DeS, plus I'm one of the weird people that actually liked the world tendency system.

Nov 16, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I loved both and have beaten both numerous times but dark souls takes everything I like about the combat and mechanics of demons and builds on it.

I like the segregated worlds of demons but it makes everything feel a bit smaller but more focused. In contrast, I really like the huge interconnected world of dark souls and even more, I like the big sprawling hub and spoke style world of dark souls 2.

The bosses in dark souls are unforgettable and the other big deal for me is just simply the ability to play darksouls in 4k 60fps while my PS3 chugs at 30~ish fps. I'm fearful of the day my PS3 finally decides to die though. I literally only have it to play DeS.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I loved both and have beaten both numerous times but dark souls takes everything I like about the combat and mechanics of demons and builds on it.

I like the segregated worlds of demons but it makes everything feel a bit smaller but more focused. In contrast, I really like the huge interconnected world of dark souls and even more, I like the big sprawling hub and spoke style world of dark souls 2.

The bosses in dark souls are unforgettable and the other big deal for me is just simply the ability to play darksouls in 4k 60fps while my PS3 chugs at 30~ish fps. I'm fearful of the day my PS3 finally decides to die though. I literally only have it to play DeS.

I played Demon's Souls at 4K/60 on RPCS3 FWIW

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Demon's Souls for me. Loved the separate level designs, and it still has some of the creepiest settings in the series. Seriously, fuck these guys:

mind-flayer.jpg

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I love them both, but prefer Dark Souls because of the bigger variety of bosses, locations and equipment, the interconnected world and the expanded multiplayer. Demon's Souls has three things that annoy me:
  • Item burden. A pointless cumbersome mechanic that adds nothing but annoyance to the game.
  • World Tendency. A mechanic that doesn't respect the player's time.
  • Magic. It's completely and utterly broken to the point that you can beat several bosses by just standing in a safe corner and soul arrow them to death.
That being said, Tower of Lateria and Valley of Defilement are still my most favorite locations in all of Soulsborne.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
I much prefer the lore, atmosphere, and NPCs of Demon's Souls. Dark Souls' interconnected world however is pretty much unbeatable.

I also like how they experimented with bosses in Demon's Souls. There were a lot of gimmicky bosses which added variety. Tower Knight and slashing at his unprotected ankles. Armored Spider and the tunnel where you could fight long range or up close. Fool's Idol where you had to try and discern the real one (after killing the NPC who would revive her). Old Monk where you would fight another player. Maiden Astraea who just kills herself if you kill Garl first. Dragon God, where you sneak around and use ballistas to shoot him.

Granted, they weren't perfect, and some were downright terrible. But that added to how memorable they were, IMO, and added some variety to the game. Nowadays in all the souls games, you just have a simple 1v1 boss in a large circular arena, every time. It gets kind of repetitive.

Jan 11, 2018
Dark. The interconnected world is what makes it. Demon was great though, and was the game that started it all. 3-2 was absolutely ace.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Dark Souls is quite possibly my favorite game of all time so I guess I prefer it but I think they're both basically equals and have different things I separately appreciate about each.

They're just so fucking good.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I played Demon's Souls first. Twice, actually: imported first, and the US version once it arrived. Dark Souls is much better.

Demon's Souls is great. Dark Souls is a GOAT contender.

It's like the jump from Wolfenstein 3D to Doom. Demon's Souls was first, but that's literally the only thing it has going for it over Dark Souls. In my humble opinion, of course, but I'm in good company.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls is my favorite of the Soulsborne series, Demon's Souls my least favorite. I still appreciate the positive aspects of the latter, though, namely its stellar level design and atmosphere.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
After sinking lots of hours into both, I think I prefer Demon's Souls. I like how obtuse everything in the world is compared to Dark Souls. I like how the boss encounters are probably the most varied in the entire series and require you to really evaluate the situation rather than focus solely on learning the boss's move set. It just has a charm to it that was more or less polished out of it in the subsequent games.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I played Demon's Souls first.

I've put in way more time into Dark Souls. On a strictly mechanical level, I have a stronger connection to DaS than to DeS. The refinements and additions to the combat make it more enjoyable, the openness and interconnectedness of the world plus the ways the game accounts for tackling objectives in a different order makes it more replayable, the bonfire and estus flask are genius innovations that strike the perfect risk/reward balance that encouraged exploration and experimentation, and the more robust multiplayer make for more interesting encounters.

I do regret having only played DeS many years later after its launch, so I never got to fully engage with its multiplayer aspects. I never did any co-op nor did I ever get invaded on my first playthrough since I had no idea how any of that worked, and the whole World and Character Tendencies didn't factor in at all for that first run.

Beyond the gameplay aspects, Dark Souls is also just more captivating of a world. It's got minimalist storytelling that requires an archaeological process to understand all its narratives. It has an assortment of memorable characters that weave in and out of your adventure, and each one's own journey reinforces the themes of the game. Traversing Lordran truly feels like going on an epic quest.

And yet... that very first time I played through Demon's Souls has stuck with me longer than any of the many complete runs I've had in Dark Souls.

1-1 was such an eye-opening experience.

I remember getting completely owned on the very first path up to the gate with the dregs ambushing you. I remember walking into that hole with the bright sprites on the left. I remember slowly inching through the pitch-black barracks. I remember getting firebombed to death making my way up the dark wooden platforms to the ramparts. I remember spending more than an hour trying to kill that first red-eyed knight only to find out afterwards that the door it's protecting was locked, so I spent all that time for no tangible reward. I remember the relief of opening up that very first shortcut. I remember getting blown up in that little room with the explosive barrels and the framerate tanking, making it even more dramatic. I remember getting flattened by that boulder trap. I remember getting burned alive by one of the dragons when I tried to get the items near their resting place. I remember being intimated after a giant spear came flying through the air and landed right in front of the camera, then seeing what the first boss was, going "what the fuck is that thing", and eventually realizing I had to use fire to kill Phalanx.

It had been forever since I felt that kind of struggle and despair and fear and joy and mastery in a game.

And the game kept putting me through one fresh hell after another.

There's the gauntlet that is 1-2 which I finished by shooting a bajillion arrows at the Tower Knight's head because I didn't know any better.

There's the seemingly never-ending mines of 2-1, culminating in the spider boss that drained my slow af, fat-rolling, fluted-armored ass of almost all my healing items because I kept getting caught in its webs and barbecued.

Then came the labyrinthine 2-2 which I thought I would never find my way out of, culminating in the Flamelurker that also barbecued my slow af, fat-rolling, fluted-armored ass for an hour.

There's the entirety of the Tower of Latria that made me genuinely afraid. It's too bad I only got the AI opponent for the Old Monk boss fight, but I guess it was a consolation of sorts after I hit a wall with the Maneaters, which I had to come back to later on with a fire sword and 10 levels higher to defeat.

There's the entirety of the Shrine of Storms that made me genuinely feel like it was impossible to beat because of all the flying manta rays chucking heat-seaking spears at me while these skeleton warriors shot arrows and smashed me with their giant blades on narrow footpaths on a cliffside, the ghosts that fired unblockable lasers while I was crossing narrow staircases with oblivion to each side, and the Old Hero that somehow knew exactly where I was everytime I hauled my loud clanging armor-clad ass from one spot to the next. I also shot another set of bajillion arrows to bring down the Storm King because I was just traumatized by its babies that I just sat behind cover plinking away at its majestic ass from afar.

And then there's the Valley of Defilement. Good fucking lord. Just... jesus christ. It was one long, painful nightmare that ended with one of the most unique boss fights I've ever experienced. The whole setup was chilling.

1-3 and 1-4 felt like a return to normalcy, even with their own set of challenges. False King Allant felt like a proper end-game boss, and the stripped down version of the intro music felt appropriately majestic. And ho boy was I not expecting him to drain whole levels from me, as if the game hadn't already proved how much of a motherfucker it was before.

Finally, the Maiden in Black dragged me into the abyss in the core of the Nexus to confront the Old One. I was amping myself up for one last big fight. Destroying the pathetic pile of goo that was the real King Allant then realizing I had beaten the game was a huge anticlimax. It was only until later that I learned to appreciate what the game was going for to end that way, that making the true final boss a cakewalk after all the trials and tribulations was actually consistent with how the game was an exercise of subverting expectations.

Demon's Souls really is a special game. Only Bloodborne has been able to replicate the genuine anxiety I felt my first time playing DeS.

If you were to ask me right now which game I enjoy more and which one I'd pick up and play, it's probably Dark Souls. But yeah, Demon's Souls holds a special place in my heart.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's will always be special to me, i imported it from Asia in 2009. Best game on PS3.

With that said Dark Souls is the better game. It's more refined and has a lot more going for it when comparing the two.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think Demon's Souls is a more well rounded game, but I prefer some things in Dark Souls, like the interconnected world (though the actual worlds in Demon's were a little stronger), and the estus flask system.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Dark Souls is overall more balanced

When I hear people saying Demon's is harder. I think back about the Crescent Falchion, enemy and bosses having a poor path tracing, theif ring and snipe bosses with spells as they do nothing.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls is overall more balanced

When I hear people saying Demon's is harder. I think back about the Crescent Falchion, enemy and bosses having a poor path tracing, theif ring and snipe bosses with spells as they do nothing.

Agreed, Demon's had things that just made the game way easy if you knew some tricks. Magic Falchion from 4-1 makes early game a walk in the park. Then you had all the health items and regen from rings and Adjudicator's shield.

Plus you had borderline broken stuff like hyper armour. It made the game more enjoyable in a way.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Demon's made me mature as a player and even as a person despite being in my early twenties when I first played it. For this reason I voted DeS in the poll. But DaS is still one of the best games of the decade.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I used to like demons more last gen and couldent get into dark souls at all as i thought level design was too complex and overwhelming. Playing the remastered edition with a friend who knows everything about the game gave me a real sense of the game and ive gone on to beat 2 and 3. Still a bit meh on 2 but 1 and 3 really show what mjyazaki learned as he grew

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Dark x100. I like Demon's a lot but I'd never say it's the best in anything it does. I also vastly prefer Dark's interconnected world to the "level select" design of Demon's.

Dec 15, 2017
I never owned a ps3 so I could not hear demons as I only played it in a friend's house. It's a great game pretty atmospheric and brutal plus the fluted armor is awesome.
On the downside, the encumbrance system and weapon/armor upgrades should die in a fire.

Dark souls took the series to the next level but I still appreciate demons for what it is.