• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which did you like more?

• Dark Souls

Votes: 464 58.5%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 329 41.5%

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2017
Dark Souls but i feel thats mainly because its the first one I played on day 1, but also because it is objectively better in a lot of ways. It blew my mind in so many ways and I played it for 300 hours in high school so im very nostalgic about it.

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Dark Souls is the better game, but nothing will ever beat the sense of mystery and discovery of playing DeS for the first time.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Demon's has a special place in my heart as it was my first but Dark souls is just the better game for me.

Dark souls 3 is the best of the lot anyway in my book, unpopular opinion I know.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I adore both games, but I prefer Dark Souls. I really love a lot of the things about how Demon's Souls looks and its style though. And it does feel a little bit faster in some ways movement-wise. The interconnected world of Dark Souls to me was just something else though. And with no fast travel for so long it just made me feel things.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Dark by a wide margin, but playing at high framerate on PC is probably a big part of that

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro.

But nah, out of those two I guess Dark Souls. I just think the movement and combat in BB and Sekiro is much funner.

OP
OP
Rommaz

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Demon's has a special place in my heart as it was my first but Dark souls is just the better game for me.

Dark souls 3 is the best of the lot anyway in my book, unpopular opinion I know.
You're not alone there. Dark Souls 3 would be my favorite if not for BB.
Sekiro.

But nah, out of those two I guess Dark Souls. I just think the movement and combat in BB and Sekiro is much funner.
I hope Elden Ring doesn't slow it down back to Dark Souls speed. At it's base it should be as fast as Bloodborne at least

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls felt more wacky and weird compared to the somewhat grounded world of Dark Souls. It is somewhere in between Bloodborne and Dark. I love that.

Then we get to the art style and the level design. The latter felt much tighter.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls has lots of improvements over DeS.

BUT Demon's Souls is a unique Souls game due to the differences and is absolutely worth playing.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Elden Ring doesn't slow it down back to Dark Souls speed. At it's base it should be as fast as Bloodborne at least
I think you're taking the wrong approach here. What I want is a gameplay class or style that is at least as fast as Bloodborne, but slow poise fucks should be viable too.

The people who care more about the RPG aspects have been waiting a long time for this, since Dark Souls II, I guess. Let them eat.

I'm personally more into the faster style too, though.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls is a superior game.
You can see the ideas coming from Demon's but the really polished experience came until Dark Souls.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Both are incredible with their own strengths but the last few areas of Dark Souls Lost Izalith and the other later sections dropped the very high bar Dark Souls had at that point.

For me I prefer Demon's Souls more but they are both incredible

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Demon's Souls was good. Dark Souls was great. Bloodborne is better than both. And Sekiro is even better than that. It's a progression, which is why unless they speed up the flow of combat in Demon's Souls, I have zero interest in a remake of that game.

Jun 26, 2018
I got into Demon's Souls shortly before Dark Souls came out and it got me interested. Dark Souls on the other hand got me hooked on Souls :)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dark Souls, but I never really beat Demon's Souls. I went into it too blind, refusing to look up anything, and just never went back to it. Dark Souls took me a while to get into as well, but once I actually understood the game, and was able to really make some progress it became one of my favorites ever.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I preferred Dark Souls since it improved the gameplay (I wasn't a fan of World Tendency either), and the exploration of an interconnected world vs a hub provided so many moments of excitement and relief when discovering shortcuts back to Firelink. In no way should Demon's Souls be dismissed; it was still a pretty great game with an imposing atmosphere in some areas (swamp and Latria) that still stick with me.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I actually miss stuff like world tendency, black phantom mobs and super tough black phantom version of named NPCs from subsequent Souls games.

Jul 24, 2018
Definitely Demon's, liked the atmosphere better and some really imaginitive bosses. I only really Dark Souls 3 among the Dark Souls trilogy.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's is the more special game for me since it was my first experience with a souls game but I'll have to give it to Dark Souls because the game design changes were just all for the better. I also thought Dark Souls was more memorable overall.

OP
OP
Rommaz

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I think you're taking the wrong approach here. What I want is a gameplay class or style that is at least as fast as Bloodborne, but slow poise fucks should be viable too.

The people who care more about the RPG aspects have been waiting a long time for this, since Dark Souls II, I guess. Let them eat.

I'm personally more into the faster style too, though.
If they can do both all well and good. Make sure our poise brethren eat. But if they could only do one....

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a new Dark Souls, I'm jonesing for it. I love the medieval fantasy, the methodical pace of play, mystery of discovering new areas shortcuts. Bloodborne was up there but I love sword and shield gameplay.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Demon's is better in every way.

It's just a much tighter experience. People love to gush ove the interconnected world of Dark, and it is a achievement in gaming and fantastic design, but as someone playing the game, the better experience is Demon's. Better music, boss fights, experiences, npc's, story, atmosphere.

If Dark kept up its crazy pace after Anor Londo instead of falling off a precipice into literally an unfinished third of a game, then spiking back up again with Gywn, then it'd be a different story maybe.

OP
OP
Rommaz

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Demon's is better in every way.

It's just a much tighter experience. People love to gush ove the interconnected world of Dark, and it is a achievement in gaming and fantastic design, but as someone playing the game, the better experience is Demon's. Better music, boss fights, experiences, npc's, story, atmosphere.

If Dark kept up its crazy pace after Anor Londo instead of falling off a precipice into literally an unfinished third of a game, then spiking back up again with Gywn, then it'd be a different story maybe.
Hot Take: Dark Souls actually needs a remake more than Demons; to completely change and fix that final 3rd.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Hot Take: Dark Souls actually needs a remake more than Demons; to completely change and fix that final 3rd.

I'd agree. I'd probably be more excited about a properly finished Dark Souls 1 fully remade, add in all the cut content, etc. I can still go back to Demon's and appreciate just how well that game was put together, even with the missing Archstone. But man, going back to play Dark 1 these days is ROUGH once you beat O&S man. It just feels like they threw a bunch of shit together.

I'd be supremely happy with a remake of Demons and Dark, and a remaster of Bloodborne, all coming to Scarlett/PS5.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Demon's souls world and lore was cooler, but the jank was just a little too high. Dark Souls did the same thing with a slightly lesser story but was overall a smoothing ride. Gotta go with Dark Souls.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not a bad hot take. It's kind of what I had my fingers crossed for when they announced Dark Souls remastered....

Even taking that into consideration, I still prefer Dark Souls. It resonated with me a bit more, with its interconnected world and secrets.

That said, I prefer Demon's Souls bosses and the puzzle elements behind them, and I don't think anything in Dark Souls matched the emotional feeling I had when I encountered Lady Astrea and that outcome...

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man, this is some real Sophie's Choice shit. I chose Dark Souls because it was the first I completed but both games are high watermarks for me. I like Dark Souls' Estus system a tad better than Grass too but in the end having that much Estus might make the game easier in spots.

Both are fantastic games

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I like Dark more. Demon's Souls feels way more experimental and as a result, is generally more hit or miss in a lot of ways. Dark Souls is the more consistent and solid experience.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon souls aged way worse and yes feels like DS prototype more than anything

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I'm really always interested in how many people who vote Dark Souls played Demons before or after. I feel like even the most staunch Demon's stan like me can understand that if you play Dark first, then go back to Demon's, it's gonna paint your experience completely differently.

Demon's was just so damn special. Invasions, summon sign ratings, the world tendency, an ARPG PVP meta on a console (scraping spear, LMAO 2Kat, etc). Demon's was also more harsh in a lot of ways. Ruining tendencies for others, limited revive stones per run, the hidden events tied to those things. And oh man, Old Monk boss alone puts Demon's on a whole new level for me.

When I played Dark, it felt like a natural evolution, but it was a sequel, and super enjoyable, but wasn't groundbreaking feeling and intimate like Demon's was to me.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I loved Demon's Souls. Dark Souls elevated what that game did to new heights. I pick Dark.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Dark Souls, as without it I would probably never have completed Demon's Souls. I had lost interest in Demon's Souls after few worlds, but after completing Dark Souls I went back to it.

Druida

Nov 22, 2017
Demon's its very good but was a prototype in comparation with Dark souls.
I barely remember any Dark Souls 1 bosses apart from Bed of Chaos for how shitty it is. I almost remember ALL Demon's Souls bosses and I haven't played it since a year after release.
Relly?
Ornstein and Smough, Sif, Artorias, Manus...

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really always interested in how many people who vote Dark Souls played Demons before or after. I feel like even the most staunch Demon's stan like me can understand that if you play Dark first, then go back to Demon's, it's gonna paint your experience completely differently.

Demon's was just so damn special. Invasions, summon sign ratings, the world tendency, an ARPG PVP meta on a console (scraping spear, LMAO 2Kat, etc). Demon's was also more harsh in a lot of ways. Ruining tendencies for others, limited revive stones per run, the hidden events tied to those things. And oh man, Old Monk boss alone puts Demon's on a whole new level for me.

When I played Dark, it felt like a natural evolution, but it was a sequel, and super enjoyable, but wasn't groundbreaking feeling and intimate like Demon's was to me.
I beat the first boss in Demon's Souls, then put the game down for a few years. Then played and finished Dark, got into the series, then went back and played Demon's after finishing a couple of other Souls games.

Oct 25, 2017

I played Demon's first, still like Dark more.

Also like Bloodborne more than both, even though I had already played Demon's, Dark and Dark II.

I replay these games too much for "first playthrough in the series" to hold that much water in my rankings.

Bloodborne > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls III > Dark Souls II

In fact, I actually didn't like Demon's THAT much until somewhat recently. I used to like Dark Souls II more than it, but I like Demon's more the more I play it.

To me, Demon's, Dark 1, Bloodborne and Sekiro are all 10/10 games. Dark Souls III is an 8. Maybe 9 because I really like Ariandel, but I'm not a huge fan of Ringed City.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I played Demon's first, still like Dark more.

Also like Bloodborne more than both, even though I had already played Demon's, Dark and Dark II.

I replay these games too much for "first playthrough in the series" to hold that much water in my rankings.

Bloodborne > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls III > Dark Souls II

In fact, I actually didn't like Demon's THAT much until somewhat recently. I used to like Dark Souls II more than it, but I like Demon's more the more I play it.

To me, Demon's, Dark 1, Bloodborne and Sekiro are all 10/10 games. Dark Souls III is an 8. Maybe 9 because I really like Ariandel, but I'm not a huge fan of Ringed City.

Fair enough. I think I'm definitely biased. Demon's left just such a strong impression on me, and was one of my bread and butter games from literally its release, up until Dark came out. Just so many unique cool concepts that I had never seen in games before, and were so revelatory for me that first time, and I spent so much time playing in that world, that it was magical and it's painted my experiences in all games since. I just spent so much time in that world that its just super special to me.

Demon's souls is my favorite, but I see the soulsborne game like you would children. You love them all uniquely and unconditionally, and it doesn't affect your love for the other ones, but you certainly have special memories with each one/might have a closer bond to one than the others.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Probably still prefer Demons and it's influence on Dark is so immense it makes Dark feel like a retread in a lot of ways. Estus is an awesome piece of design, however.