• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Hitman
  2. Hitman 2 or 3
  3. Hitman Bloodmoney
  4. Hitman 2 : Silent Assasin
  5. Hitman Codename 47
  6. Hitman Contracts
  7. Hitman Absolution
I don't really treat the new ones as separate games as they were all mean to be part of the same platform and I've not played enough to 3 to know where that sits.
I really love the Sniper missions

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess I'm the lone Absolution defender here 😅

The new games are clearly the best games but I had fun with Absolution on PC whenever it was that it came out.
I also really liked Absolution and appreciated that it tried to do something new with the series even if not all of it worked.
I do love the current hitman trilogy though.
So of the ones I've played I would probably rank them like this:
1. Hitman (2016)
2. Hitman 2
3. Absolution
4. Blood Money
5. Silent Assassin

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing that ever really stuck with me from the hitman games was dual wielding that never nude fat guy in the shower, so hitman codename 47 for me.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
3 is way too recent for me to judge, and it's sorta weird on how I'd rank the recent games since the newer one just includes the ones before. But I do think Hitman 2 on average had better levels than 2016, so I'd give that an edge. Blood Money is one of my favorite games of all time, and there's still something about the WoA that hasn't fully hit the same mark for me given the way it blended Absolution mechanics into everything. Like sedative poison being absolutely useless, but in the older games your resources were much more important considering 47 couldn't just choke everyone out. Human shields bypassed that but seemed more like an oversight, but eh. That said Absolution onwards plays and feels MUCH better, something like Silent Assassin is incredibly hard to go back to even if the game itself is solid. 47's crouching walk speed in that game is brutal.

1. Hitman 2
2. Blood Money
3. Hitman 2016
4. Hitman Contracts
5. Hitman Absolution
6. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
7. Hitman: Codename 47

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who don't rank Codename 47 as the worst in the series need to go back and play it. That game is junky AF.
Even when it came out it was like a 7/10 game - the core was always really cool, but it really didn't live up to its ambitions. Silent Assassin was a MASSIVE step up, even if that's somewhat janky by today's standards.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ive never played a hitman game until like last week. Whats so different about absolution?

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played the last Hitman as I am waiting for next gen but my list would be like this:

-Hitman Blood Money
-Hitman 2016 + Hitman 2
-Hitman Contracts
-Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
-Hitman Codename 47
-Hitman Absolution

Now I have started with Codename 47 so I am very fond of it and technically it should be the lowest. The reason I didn't put it the lowest is part nostalgia and part because it has some really amazing atmosphere/music and variety of levels. I really loved how 47 felt like a new Hitman that is still gaining experience. A lot of the missions end up in you shooting people to hell gangster style (in fact, 47 holds the pistols gangster style).

Absolution isn't bad and I like it but as a Hitman game I felt it fails. The focus on the story and the fact it felt more like a Splinter Cell game made it fall the lowest on my list.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue this to not be true. There are good assassination sandboxes in there but you have to interact with the linear stealth sections to get to them.
There are some, though they are few and far between. I would argue that only the Chinese New Year level was actually any good though.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the missions end up in you shooting people to hell gangster style (in fact, 47 holds the pistols gangster style).

This is something I kind of respect about Codename 47. It often feels more like a strategic action game than a puzzle game (as the series later became), where your goal is to carefully plan out when and where you will get into combat, then direct the flow of fights to have them end as quickly and safely as possible so as to avoid attracting too much attention. It's in sharp contrast to the later Hitman games, where getting into fights at all feels like a failure (even in Absolution). I definitely think Codename 47 is the weakest in the series, but despite its sloppiness it does have a unique identity that makes it stand out from its successors.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is something I kind of respect about Codename 47. It often feels more like a strategic action game than a puzzle game (as the series later became), where your goal is to carefully plan out when and where you will get into combat, then direct the flow of fights to have them end as quickly and safely as possible so as to avoid attracting to much attention. It's in sharp contrast to the later Hitman games, where getting into fights at all feels like a failure (even in Absolution). I definitely think Codename 47 is the weakest in the series, but despite its sloppiness it does have a unique identity that makes it stand out from its successors.
Exactly.

One mission you would have a classic Hitman level like Tools of the Trade (the hotel mission) the other you are in the jungle having a boss fight with a Tony Montana like figure. The end even has you killing advanced clones of agent 47 and you can use mini gun against them. It is very weird. I hope the new game has something like that again (not gameplay but weird stuff like the first game).

New Hitman is better for sure but the first game to me feels very unique and interesting.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

One mission you would have a classic Hitman level like Tools of the Trade (the hotel mission) the other you are in the jungle having a boss fight with a Tony Montana like figure. The end even has you killing advanced clones of agent 47 and you can use mini gun against them. It is very weird. I hope the new game has something like that again (not gameplay but weird stuff like the first game).

New Hitman is better for sure but the first game to me feels very unique and interesting.
I havent finished hitman 3 yet but generally the trilogy is very safe with no weird and no sex

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ive never played a hitman game until like last week. Whats so different about absolution?

It was quite a lot more action focused (you could do a slow mo gun execution of like 8 people in a room at once)

But when it wasn't turning into an action game it had a confusing disguise system with poorly defined boundaries of who would recognise you or not. Getting seen by a single character alerted everyone , the whole thing of Hitman's disguises being about hiding in plain site was broken.
It was a such a big change from the amazing blood money

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Blood Money is easily my favorite and I don't see it being surpassed. The soundtrack is also so incredibly good.

I have some good memories of Hitman 2 Silent Assassin so that's probably my second pick.

I finished Hitman 2016 but I never undestood exactly how I was supposed to play it. Levels are just way too big, using opportunities feels like too much hand-holding for my taste but without them I was pretty much lost, I could never find a good balance despite replaying the missions a good amount of times. I really miss the old style where you just had the exclamation point on the map and the areas were smaller.

Ended up skipping 2 and I don't see myself playing it or 3 since it's the same style.

Absolution was a mistake.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
With Hitman you almost have to rank the missions I feel like
Totally. Some of the missions in some of the games are amazingly well constructed ---- and some of the missions in some of the games are just complete garbage (i.e. Paris vs. Colorado in Hitman 1).

Also, Absolution doesnt get as much respect as it deserves (though admittedly I lost my save file so Im in the middle of hating it and appreciating what it did for crowds).

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need to do more runs of the H3 levels to say for sure but of the ones I've played...

Hitman 2
Hitman 3
Hitman (2016)

I played a couple on ps2 I think as well but it didn't grab me as much at the time and I couldn't even say which ones they were.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus all eight? I haven't played all 8 but, hum... Blood Money, Contracts, then Hitman 2016, then Absolution.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blood Money is easily my favorite and I don't see it being surpassed. The soundtrack is also so incredibly good.

I have some good memories of Hitman 2 Silent Assassin so that's probably my second pick.

I finished Hitman 2016 but I never undestood exactly how I was supposed to play it. Levels are just way too big, using opportunities feels like too much hand-holding for my taste but without them I was pretty much lost, I could never find a good balance despite replaying the missions a good amount of times. I really miss the old style where you just had the exclamation point on the map and the areas were smaller.

Ended up skipping 2 and I don't see myself playing it or 3 since it's the same style.

Absolution was a mistake.
the opportunities are more guided ways to ger around the map than strictly roadmaps to linearly follow. Like, you CAN go pretty A B C with them, but you can also just go A and then jump off the path and do something else once it gets you where it leads. Idk, I don't think they're any different than the old ones once you get used to it, just larger with more moving parts, but you can certainly still just sneak your way up to a roof and shoot someone in the dome or whatever you liked to do before.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished Hitman 3 so I can't rank it right but so far I expect it to take the top spot. I'll update the post after playing H3 thoroughly.

Hitman 2016
Hitman 2
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman Absolution
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
Hitman Contracts
Hitman Codename 47

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Absolution was a product of its time. It was different but not bad per se.

My rating would be:
  1. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
  2. Hitman: Blood Money
  3. Hitman Contracts
  4. Hitman 2016
  5. Hitman Absolution
Have yet to play Hitman 2 and Hitman 3. Will probably never play Codename 47.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Now that I've finished 3 and had a bit of time to digest it I'd go with:

Hitman 2
Hitman 3
Hitman
Blood Money
Silent Assassin
Contracts
Absolution
*I've never played the first game but from what I gather it would probably be in last place anyway.

There's some brilliant stuff in H3, especially the settings themselves, but I think H2 has the better levels overall, even without the 2 bonus missions. While I enjoyed the final mission of H3, I [REDACTED] (if you've played it you know what my main criticism of it is already). I loved Berlin but I think my favourite mission in the whole trilogy is the Isle of Sgail.

Blood Money is still one of my all time favourite games and even Hitman 2016 didn't usurp it originally although I knew deep down it was a better game. That first time you play Sapienza is special as you're almost overwhelmed by the scale and ambition of that stage. It was when Hitman 2 arrived that I finally had to face facts that Blood Money had been superceded. It's still a ton of fun and I totally understand why others would still rank it as their number 1.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin was my introduction to Agent 47 on the PS2 and I have a lot of nostalgia for it even if it's showing its age.

Contracts I don't remember too well to be honest. I bought it on the day of release and enjoyed it but it never clicked with me in the way SA or Blood Money did.

I really want to give Absolution another chance. It's not a bad game at all but it didn't always feel to me like the Hitman game I wanted. Now that I have the Hitman game I wanted in the form of the World of Assassination trilogy, it's perhaps time to return to it and try to enjoy it for what it is instead of lamenting what it isn't.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally. Some of the missions in some of the games are amazingly well constructed ---- and some of the missions in some of the games are just complete garbage (i.e. Paris vs. Colorado in Hitman 1).

Also, Absolution doesnt get as much respect as it deserves (though admittedly I lost my save file so Im in the middle of hating it and appreciating what it did for crowds).

Hitman 2016 has a LOT of Absolution DNA in it. Quite a lot of the concepts from Absolution were brought over and just refined