• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The eight (not counting side games like Sniper Assassin or Hitman Go) being:

• HITMAN Codename 47
  • Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
  • Hitman Contracts
  • Hitman Blood Money
  • Hitman Absolution
  • Hitman
  • Hitman 2
  • Hitman 3
With what I've played from Hitman 3 so far my ranking would be:

1. Hitman
  2. Hitman 3
  3. Hitman Bloodmoney
  4. Hitman Contracts
  5. Hitman 2
  6. Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
  7. Hitman Absolution
  8. Hitman Codename 47

I think Hitman 2016 kind of stands above the pack for my money. It launched a fairly obscure series into the mainstream and won back a lot of fans who felt really burned with Absolution.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I could do a proper ranking of them all but I think Absolution is still my number one with a bullet. I love that game so much.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the first three are the least playable by modern standards (even at the time I thought they felt a little janky). I'd pretty much just rank the games in reverse order, but put Absolution behind Blood Money.

Hitman 3
Hitman 2
Hitman 1
Blood Money
Absolution
Contracts
Silent Assassin
Codename 47

I'm not even through 3 though, but 2 refined what 1 did, and I feel like 3 is just a refinement of 2, so...it stands to reason that it's probably the best.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the first three are the least playable by modern standards (even at the time I thought they felt a little janky). I'd pretty much just rank the games in reverse order, but put Absolution behind Blood Money.

Hitman 3
Hitman 2
Hitman 1
Blood Money
Absolution
Contracts
Silent Assassin
Codename 47

I'm not even through 3 though, but 2 refined what 1 did, and I feel like 3 is just a refinement of 2, so...it stands to reason that it's probably the best.

I think this would be my list. The original games are obviously classics but I don't think they hold up in the way that more recent entries do.

And I'm largely fine with Absolution for what it is. It did things differently but it was enjoyable (to me).

Latest three are undeniably the strongest Hitman games. Put them in any order for my money. They're all one 'platform' anyway, I barely consider them separate games now.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 3 is just out so I don't think it's fair to say yet

otherwise
Hitman 2018
Hitman 2016
Blood Money
Silent Assassin
Contracts
Absolution
Code name 47

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play Hitman 3 yet, but I'd say

1. Blood Money (although not the best, it holds a very special place in my heart)
  2. Hitman
  3. Hitman 2
  4. Contract
  5. Silent Assassin
  6. Absolution
  7. Codename 47​

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Hitman 1, 2, and 3 are basically the same game, so I'll group them into just "Hitman"
  1. Hitman
  2. Hitman: Blood Money
  3. Hitman: Contracts
  4. Hitman 2
  5. Hitman: Code Name 47
  6. Hitman: Absolution

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
If you view the World of Assassination trilogy as one big game then I think it easily takes the top spot.

Blood Money would be right under it, that game is still a classic.

Contracts is underrated. Feels more like Hitman 2.5 mechanically but has one of the darkest and grimiest tones in the series. Salvages a lot of the good levels from Codename 47 too.

Absolution is an oddity. Hitman was never afraid to get weird but Absolution gets really weird. Credit for trying new things, not much of it worked, but I don't think it's necessarily bad. Still one of the weaker entries

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin hasn't aged too well unfortunately. I don't think it's bad and it has some cool missions, but it's a bit too obtuse at times.

There's an argument to be made that Codename 47 was never all that good to begin with. It's peak Eurojank but a cool proof of concept for the series.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played 3 yet, but I'd like to take a shot at a list.

- Blood Money
- Hitman 2016
- Silent Assassin (I'll be honest and say nostalgia is carrying this game hard, but I liked the world traveling arc approach of the game and still feel it's not been topped)
- Hitman 2018
- Contracts
- Codename 47
- Absolution

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I haven't played the original and Hitman 3 just came out but it's simple.

Hitman 2 > Hitman 2016 > Blood Money > Contracts > Silent Assassin > Absolution

Each game gets better except for Absolution.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need a lot more time with Hitman 3 to accurately rank it but there's a very good chance it will top my list.

Current ranking
1. Hitman 2
2. Blood Money
3. Hitman 2016
4. Contracts
5. Silent Assassin
6. Absolution
7. Codename 47

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm really hard pressed.
At time of release I would say Bloodmoney was peak Hitman. very, very closely followed by the new trilogy.
But as of now in terms of replayability the new trilogy obviously easily takes the cake.

Absolution sort of does it's own thing and I was never offended by it.

The old ones are and probably were janky. Not something I want to replay.
Though at least in my memory, that Hotel level in the first game is still probably among my favorites.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been banging the Hitman drum since Hitman 2: Silent Assassin on OG Xbox back in 2002. As such it has a special place in my heart. Damn, I just couldn't shut up about that game back in the day.

Oddly, none of the immediate follow ups impressed me, even the much loved Blood Money (I think the tropey black gang members in the opening seafront amusement park level really turned me off).

Even more oddly, I really dug Absolution. Sure was purdy and the story was great. Level designs and location variety was top notch as well.

Hitman 2016 completely blew the doors off. I think it was one of the greatest franchise comebacks off all time (ironically in the same year that we got similar with the new Doom).

Haven't played all titles, but the ranked standouts for me are.

Hitman (2016)
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002)
Hitman 2 (2018)
Hitman Absolution

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'd have to go back and play the older ones, but if I were to rank the more modern ones:

1. Hitman 2
2. Hitman 3 (so far)
3. Hitman
4. Hitman Absolution

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'll skip out Hitman 3 since I've only seen two maps (but it has a solid chance to be the best of them all) I'd go with this. All the Hitman games are good to some degree, the range here is amazing to good I'd say

Hitman
Blood Money
Hitman 2
Contracts
Silent Assassin
Absolution
Codename 47

Hitman 2016 is at the top largely because it was the one that brought the series back to the core sandbox gameplay after Absolution, which still had some decent Hitman style maps. It took some of the best ideas that Absolution had (the challenges and contracts mode) and refined on all of them to feel like a true successor to Blood Money. Blood Money is a weird one because I haven't played it since before Hitman 2016 and I'm not sure how I'd feel now. Obviously it doesn't have quite the same range of options as the reboot trilogy, same with Contracts. But I did like stuff like the newspapers or the money system before missions so you felt like a member of the larger organisation of the ICA. And that Kyd soundtrack.

Codename 47 is at the bottom because it's rough to go back to, but it is a solid base for the really good Silent Assassin.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman 2(Inside H3)
Hitman 1(Inside H3)
Hitman 3
Blood Money
Absolution
Contracts
Silent Assassin
Codename 47

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Got my progress transferred over and going to dive deep into 3. For me, so far -

Current ranking
1. Blood Money
2. Hitman 2
3. Contracts
4. Hitman 2016
5. Silent Assassin
6. Absolution
7. Codename 47

There's something about Contracts that I truly still love, more like out takes? Just some of my favorite levels. And Blood Money will forever be my favorite - a true stunner of a game.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to pick apart Hitman 1-3 since it really comes down to picking out which pack of levels is your overall favourite, which generally is not really definitive.

I'd say:
Hitman 1-3
Blood Money
Absolution
Silent Assassin and Contracts
Codename 47

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People who don't rank Codename 47 as the worst in the series need to go back and play it. That game is junky AF.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
HITMAN2 | HITMAN
Hitman: Blood Money | Hitman: Contracts
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman Absolution | Hitman: Codename 47

to hell with single spot lists

I love this franchise

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I still have to buy 3, which I will do as soon as I beat 2, but so far...

1. Blood Money
2. Contracts
3. Hitman 2
4. Hitman 1
5. Silent Assassin
6. Codename 47
7. Absolution

I love #1-5 about equally. I rate Contracts really high because I love the main setting and it has some of the best missions in the whole franchise. I love the missions in #6 but the gameplay is VERY rough and dated. Absolution was fun but it was not a proper Hitman game to me.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've been banging the Hitman drum since Hitman 2: Silent Assassin on OG Xbox back in 2002. As such it has a special place in my heart. Damn, I just couldn't shut up about that game back in the day.

Oddly, none of the immediate follow ups impressed me, even the much loved Blood Money (I think the tropey black gang members in the opening seafront amusement park level really turned me off).

Even more oddly, I really dug Absolution. Sure was purdy and the story was great. Level designs and location variety was top notch as well.

Hitman 2016 completely blew the doors off. I think it was one of the greatest franchise comebacks off all time (ironically in the same year that we got similar with the new Doom).

Haven't played all titles, but the ranked standouts for me are.

Hitman (2016)
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002)
Hitman 2 (2018)
Hitman Absolution
you really need to try SA, Contracts and BM again and then redo your rating cause SA on number 2 with no Contracts or even BM in sight is outrageous :D

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Huge fan of the franchise since c47
can't judge Hitman 3 yet

1. Hitman 2
  2. Hitman 1
  3. Hitman Blood Money
  4. Hitman Contracts
  5. Hitman Absolution
  6. Hitman Silent Assassin
  7. Hitman Codename 47

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I'm new to the series and played through the free prologue for Hitman Definitive Edition. What do I need to play to get ready for 3? I'm only gaming on an Xbox.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Id start with Silent Assasin, mostly because of nostalgia
Blood Money would be my close second, because it really topped the formula for me
Hitman 2 and 3 here, because they really refined the World of Assassination approach
Contracts was good by kinda overshadowed by Silent Assassin and Blood Money
Hitman 1 I really didnt like the initial Season/DLC style approach, definitely putted me off the series till Hitman 2
Codename 47

And didnt even bother to finish Absolution, was so mediocre game from the PS360 era...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For those who like Hitman (2016) more than Hitman 2, why? It's great, but I felt like the sequel was an improvement in practically every way, and I thought that was the general consensus. Apparently not though!

kombucha

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2021
-contracts
-blood money
-hitman 2
-codename 47
-hitman 2016
-absolution
-hitman 2 (2018)

not a big fan of the new "complete all the 150 challenges" approach, of course you don't have to and first blind playthroughs are nice, but map size becomes tedious and without completing them over and over again its a 6 hour game

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I love Silent Assassin, so I can't help but put that first. I don't really know how to rank Hitman 1 considering Hitman 2 is just Hitman 1 with new features from Hitman 2 plus even more stuff. I think it had better levels than 2 though.
  1. Silent Assassin
  2. Hitman 2 as an overall package
  3. Hitman
  4. Blood Money
  5. Hitman 2
  6. Contracts
  7. Absolution
  8. Codename 47

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
you really need to try SA, Contracts and BM again and then redo your rating cause SA on number 2 with no Contracts or even BM in sight is outrageous :D

No doubt, lol.

I think it was simply a time & place thing that ranks H2:SA so high.

Was a big fan of Thief 1 & 2 around their launch windows so I was already hooked on stealth gameplay, but the whole changing outfits to hide in plain sight just blew my mind when SA landed on OG Xbox back in the day.

Like I get that it's clunky as hell looking the the rear-view mirror of what followed for the franchise, but It left a lasting impact that's really hard to understate on a personal level.

As for Blood Money, yeah I should revisit. But cripes I was so put off by the NPC enemy barks in the opening level. I get that it was a non-US company trying to replicate US thug-culture popular in media at the time (I even remember some movie that had a cocaine processing facility where all the women were topless so they wouldn't steal product...sigh). But man Blood Money's take was just so damn cringe. Anyway, that's what I remember at the time and I never really explored the game beyond that. Maybe it's not as bad today or something.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I played everything except for the new Hitman 3, but I don't really love the new trilogy (though I respect what they did with it).

Blood Money, Absolution and Contracts are still the high points of the franchise for me.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I haven't played 3 yet, but here's my ranking for the others.

Hitman 2
Hitman
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
Hitman Contracts
Hitman Absolution
Hitman Codename 47

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman 3
Hitman 2
Hitman
Hitman Contracts
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
Hitman Codename 47
Hitman Absolution

Love em all tho. Even Absolution.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
They get better as they go along (with the exception of Absolution), so my list is basically the same as everyone else's here.

Hitman / Hitman 2
Blood Money
Contracts
2: Silent Assassin
Absolution
Codename 47

The first game has too many levels with outright incoherent, nonsensical solutions (see the bizarre ways you have to get into the drug lab in the drug lord's compound or how you get past the checkpoints in the harbor). If the game had mid-mission saves instead of the awkward lives system, it'd help ameliorate that, but as it is it's just annoying to play. As another poster in this thread did, though, I have to give a shout-out to the hotel stage, which is genuinely great - shockingly so, given the rest of the game - and is in some ways cooler than Contracts' remade version.

The original Hitman 2 is cool but there's definitely a lot of awkwardness in the way you have to tiptoe around guards at all time to keep your disguises from being blown. I like the game just because I love the core Hitman concepts so much, but it has a few very unpleasant sections and is genuinely a clumsy game.

Contracts is the first great game of the series. There's a tiny bit of 2's oddness but it's mostly smoothed out. I don't think it's much weaker than Blood Money, honestly. (And of course Blood Money is stellar; there's not much to say about it.) I do take some issue with the fact that the game doesn't have many unique levels and that some of the Hong Kong levels from the original game don't feel especially enhanced (this also makes the difficulty curve of the game odd since the last several stages of the game are just Codename 47's intro missions) but it's still great. I actually appreciate that it's easier for enemies to see through your disguises than in Blood Money while not being as obnoxious about it as Hitman 2, because Blood Money is too generous in that regard.

Blood Money might be the most overall balanced game in the series, if only because the modern games need to be finagled with a bit, mainly just to turn off some of the in-game guide stuff, before you can get what's great about them. In some ways I don't like how much easier Blood Money is than its predecessors but it's clearly one of the best games in the franchise despite that, full of cool level concepts. I think it has the best overall ambience of the series too; its music and sound design trump the newest games'.

Absolution is kind of lame. I don't think it's a bad game, but what it does (which is mostly traditional line-of-sight stealth obstacle courses) just isn't what I come to Hitman for. Codename 47 is almost inarguably a worse game, but I feel like I'd rather replay it than Absolution.

Modern Hitman is, of course, a masterpiece. I do have some complaints, though. I think the mission story / opportunity stuff is way overbearing, and if you don't turn it off - ideally all the way off - it really hampers the experience. (If I had to make a ranking, I'd say modern Hitman without assistance > Blood Money > modern Hitman with assistance.) There's an element to how the huge levels are set up that changes how hints have to be communicated to the player, too - again, I think modern Hitman is overall better, but I like that in Blood Money you're left to look at the environment and learn things on your own, whereas in modern Hitman there's a lot of listening to NPC dialogue or Diana hints even if you turn the hint systems off. And I don't think the mastery system is very interesting; it encourages rote checklist-like play. That said, best games in the series if you turn down the "modern" features and play them like you would the original games.

I've only given new Hitman 2 one full 20-hour playthrough, so I don't feel I can really judge it compared to 2016. It's at least around the same level, but it's hard for me to say whether it's really better or worse than its predecessor. I think I might like the first modern game's levels a bit more so far (with the exception of 2's Miami), but it's tough to say.

I haven't played Hitman 3 yet, but I'm sure it's great.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm the lone Absolution defender here 😅

The new games are clearly the best games but I had fun with Absolution on PC whenever it was that it came out.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd need to finish 3 first 😁

The only one I categorically think is 'bad' is Absolution because they sacrificed the level design (which is Hitman) for admittedly great graphics and a sub-par, unneeded narrative. I do, however, appreciate it as a vital stepping stone to the current trilogy.

Other than that, I think every other Hitman game has been fantastic.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

The new games are clearly the best games but I had fun with Absolution on PC whenever it was that it came out.
Absolution is great and an important stepping stone to the new trilogy. People really don't appreciate that all of the nuts and bolts gameplay mechanics come from Absolution. Absolution would be a celebrated classic title if Hitman wasn't in the name.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I actually really like absolution the characters are absurd its like IO watched a bunch of Quentin Taritino movies. Dexter is a hilariously over the top cheesy as fuck villain that I adore for how scummy and gross he is. This scene in particular gets me every time.

"I normally don't Yee-Haw but this is a Yee-Haw Fuckin' Christmas." 😂

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
  1. Hitman 3
  2. Hitman 2
  3. Hitman 1
  4. Hitman Blood Money
  5. Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
  6. Hitman Contracts
  7. Hitman Absolution
Never played Codename 47.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not even close to wrapping up Hitman 3 but currently:

1. Hitman (2016)
2. Hitman 3
3. Hitman: Blood Money
4. Hitman 2 (2018)
5. Hitman: Absolution
6. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
7. HitmanContracts
8: Hitman: Codename 47

I genuinely love them all.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
1. Hitman 2
2. Hitman (2016)
3. Blood Money
4. Contracts
5. Absolution
6. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
7. Hitman: Codename 47

Haven't played enough of Hitman 3 to rate it, but I expect it to be near the top.

If the disguise and checkpoint systems in Absolution weren't garbage, I would rate it above Contracts. It's a different kind of game, but I really liked a lot of what it did.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'll admit it... I'm very new to the series and should have played them far sooner. I can only rank the new ones:
Hitman 3
Hitman 2
Hitman 1

🤷
I really like Hitman Go - still play it on my PS Vita occasionally!
Edit: I've really fallen for this series in recent weeks leading up to Hitman 3.