• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So I was tested positive today for COVID after developing symptoms yesterday. Outside of a headache and cough, my only real issue is that I can't smell or taste.

I tried eating earlier today but it freaked me out how I was acutely aware of the texture but there was nothing else to go along with it. On top of that I haven't been hungry at all which makes eating that much more difficult.

If anyone on here had COVID, what foods did you eat if you lost your sense of taste? Would something super spicy taste better since my pallete is numbed?

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going through it right now and am surprised by the lack of appetite it has given me.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
At first, I thought my pizza rolls just tasted different because they were off brand, but I realized it was my taste when the strawberry kool-aid I made didn't have a taste. The next morning I had a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, but there was only crunch.
Thanksgiving dinner was a bummer.
I could taste the acidity of ketchup.
Really made me lose my appetite for a week.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I got covid like 2 weeks ago but I don't think I completely lost taste. It's severely diminished but the basic sweet/salty/sour I was still able to taste in my food. But yeah, I was definitely way more aware of the texture. Smell has been slow to come back. I think I got over covid about 5ish days ago now. I'd put my smell at 30% of what it used to be and unless you shove whatever in my nose I can't really smell it. My taste is like 50-60%, certain nuances in food are gone, like all coffee tastes the same to me right now.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Was curious and I went to go smell a bottle of Vodka, literally smells like water to me lol.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I regained mine for most of it, though taste/smell is significantly more dull.
My wife is another story, she can't taste/smell a lot anymore.

This is six months after recovery.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A friend had this and he said that one day like a month later he made a simple breakfast and suddenly he was like "i am the best chef in the entire world this shit is DELICIOUS" and then he realise his taste had come back =P

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020
I didn't have much of an appetite while I was sick, and I also had a lot of stomach problems with it, so I wasn't eating much.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend spicy food. If diarrhea shows up as a symptom at some point, spicy food will make that more unpleasant.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is the one thing that really scares me about COVID besides accidentally killing someone else's grandma.
I regained mine for most of it, though taste/smell is significantly more dull.
My wife is another story, she can't taste/smell a lot anymore.

This is six months after recovery.
Ooh man so sorry

Fuuuuck that

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't have much of an appetite while I was sick, and I also had a lot of stomach problems with it, so I wasn't eating much.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend spicy food. If diarrhea shows up as a symptom at some point, spicy food will make that more unpleasant.
I wouldn't say I have stomach problems but I do have a throbbing pain every once in a while on my lower abdomen and back. Could be that I'm just laying in bed a lot though.

Jul 18, 2018
My mom recently got COVID, and the only symptom she had was loss of taste and smell. However she knows she has to eat to feed her body, but she says its hard because when it tastes like nothing your appetite just goes away

Oct 25, 2017
Lost about 10 lbs from no desire to eat plus complete and utter exhaustion. It sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. The end of the world was fighting for breath every morning. Try to hang in there. It's hard.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So I was tested positive today for COVID after developing symptoms yesterday. Outside of a headache and cough, my only real issue is that I can't smell or taste.

I tried eating earlier today but it freaked me out how I was acutely aware of the texture but there was nothing else to go along with it. On top of that I haven't been hungry at all which makes eating that much more difficult.

If anyone on here had COVID, what foods did you eat if you lost your sense of taste? Would something super spicy taste better since my pallete is numbed?
i honestly thought i was just sick and did not feel up to eating as it was prior to knowing it was covid as oddly around the same time everyone in our office got sick and more people called off than usual my Sup had to even have his lungs drained.

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020
I wouldn't say I have stomach problems but I do have a throbbing pain every once in a while on my lower abdomen and back. Could be that I'm just laying in bed a lot though.

You can go through phases of symptoms, so it's possible stomach problems show up later. I'm just saying spicy food could make that more unpleasant if it happens. Personally I wouldn't risk it just to kinda taste food while I'm sick. Take it easy, take care of yourself, drink water, eat bland food, get better.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have Covid but I lost my sense of taste (and smell) back when I was like 13-14 and it's taken me like... 15+ years to get used to it. Yeah food becomes WAY more about texture when taste is gone. Anything that's squishy or slimy is a no-go for me. Eggplant? No way. I feel like if I hadn't liked spaghetti as a kid I would detest it now so thank god that's not the case. Weirdly I get my sense of taste back when I get stoned but the sense of smell is gone forever so once the high passes... no more taste again :\

My advice is to figure out what food texture you enjoy and build from there. People with Covid who lose their sense of taste eventually get it back after recovery, right? If so then yeah, it's gonna suck for a while, but you'll get by with a limited diet. You just gotta try and either avoid the uncomfortable food textures or power through them.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
That shit is scary. I typically lose taste and smell when I get colds because it typically turns into a sinus infection. But with covid, knowing that it's because it affects your neurological system is scary as shit.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
My bad. Yeah, some people never got it back is what I mean.

Others did.

It's up in the air.
Fuuuck D:

Well, shit. Same advice then I guess, figure out what food textures you like, build out from there, as you get more used to eating based on texture over taste you'll be able to expand to other less appealing textures and just... cross your fingers your sense of taste comes back. (though even for me almost 2 decades later there's still some food textures that I just can't stand.) Might depend on if you enjoyed the foods before losing your sense of taste, too.

Eventually you get used to it but hopefully it's temporary for everyone, even those still struggling with it months and months later ):

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuck D:

Well, shit. Same advice then I guess, figure out what food textures you like, build out from there, as you get more used to eating based on texture over taste you'll be able to expand to other less appealing textures and just... cross your fingers your sense of taste comes back. (though even for me almost 2 decades later there's still some food textures that I just can't stand.) Might depend on if you enjoyed the foods before losing your sense of taste, too.

Eventually you get used to it but hopefully it's temporary for everyone, even those still struggling with it months and months later ):
I remember getting a bad cold a few times, couldn't taste or smell for shit.

Salt + MSG were godsends. And soup lol

studknckl

Oct 27, 2017
I lost 100% of my sense of smell for several days but interestingly I could still taste stuff. I assume my taste was diminished but it never impacted my appetite. Losing a sense is pretty wild though. My mind would sometimes make me think I was smelling things that weren't there. I woke up one morning to the awesome smell of bacon. Went to the kitchen only to find that I was the only one in the house awake and there was no bacon to be found.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
My sister still can't taste most food or smell and she caught back in May. She still has breathing problems too.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting a bad cold a few times, couldn't taste or smell for shit.

Salt + MSG were godsends. And soup lol
Yes! That's a good point. I don't know how it is for people dealing with Covid but my doctor said that even though I'd lost my finer sense of taste (couldn't differentiate between Coke and 7Up) that everyone has ~5 hardwired senses of taste that never really go away - sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and... spicy? So like for me when I'm not high chocolate tastes like shit because the bitterness can be overpowering, triscuits and chips are delicious because they're salty, etc. Do people with Covid lose those too? Or just the finer thing like "This chicken noodle soup and this shrimp ramen taste the same but are both salty"

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I lost my sense of taste and hunger when I was going through chemo, I haven't had COVID but, these were my dietician's recommendations at the time for taste alteration. Some of these obviously won't be applicable to COVID, but, they at least got me through the hard times

- Make sure the food is very seasoned, some seasonings like salt, or heat from spiciness would come through even if the rest of the food tasted like nothing.
- Use plastic cutlery instead of metal, as metal cutlery can affect the taste (I'm pretty sure this is more a cancer/chemo thing, though)
- Eat around 6 small meals a day, regardless of if you're hungry or not. Because I didn't get the cues from my body to eat, I had to schedule alarms to do this.
- Stay away from textures you found problematic, a lot of people had that complaint about mushrooms, as an example
- Try to stay away from eating too much of your favourite foods. She was coming into it with the concern that having and not enjoying your favourite foods would impact on whether or not you'd like them when things started to come back.

FWIW, my sense of taste came back, but, the sensation of hunger's still pretty foreign to me

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I just ate things that were satisfying in a primal way (meats, veggies). Stuff that filled me up and had decent texture.

it lasted about 1.5-2 weeks? It sucks for sure.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm going through it right now and am surprised by the lack of appetite it has given me.

This. Loss of taste/smell was a mystery at the time. Caught it back in march. I turned my gas on from the stove and knew something was wrong when I couldn't smell anything.

Just ate whatever and had no desire to eat much of anything outside of the basics.

Snoshado

Oct 27, 2017
Reno, NV
My only real issue is that it's been nearly 4 months since I've recovered from Covid and still have very limited smell. It's weird because there are a few things I can smell really strongly (dog food, for example), but most everything else has no scent to me anymore. Not being able to smell isn't as bad as you'd think, until you actually realize things should have a scent, "wow, I can't smell the morning coffee. This food smells like nothing. Why can't I smell these flowers?"

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
My dad got it but had very mild symptoms. He still had his senses of smell and taste, but he noted a marked loss of appetite.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
At first, I thought my pizza rolls just tasted different because they were off brand, but I realized it was my taste when the strawberry kool-aid I made didn't have a taste. The next morning I had a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, but there was only crunch.
Thanksgiving dinner was a bummer.
I could taste the acidity of ketchup.
Really made me lose my appetite for a week.
Had the same experience. Ketchup and hot sauce tasted sooo disgusting. Like pure ammonia.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have Covid but I lost my sense of taste (and smell) back when I was like 13-14 and it's taken me like... 15+ years to get used to it. Yeah food becomes WAY more about texture when taste is gone. Anything that's squishy or slimy is a no-go for me. Eggplant? No way. I feel like if I hadn't liked spaghetti as a kid I would detest it now so thank god that's not the case. Weirdly I get my sense of taste back when I get stoned but the sense of smell is gone forever so once the high passes... no more taste again :\

My advice is to figure out what food texture you enjoy and build from there. People with Covid who lose their sense of taste eventually get it back after recovery, right? If so then yeah, it's gonna suck for a while, but you'll get by with a limited diet. You just gotta try and either avoid the uncomfortable food textures or power through them.

when I get high and eat, the flavors are just CRAZY. Like taste overload.

so when you get high, is it crazy taste that comes back, or just back to normal? That's really interesting... how did you lose your taste/smell?

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I only lost taste for a few days. I've always had a bad sense of smell/ taste so idk if it became worse after. Only lingering things I have now are feeling weak and random chest pains.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
when I get high and eat, the flavors are just CRAZY. Like taste overload.

so when you get high, is it crazy taste that comes back, or just back to normal? That's really interesting... how did you lose your taste/smell?
That's a very good point I'm debating getting some weed just so I could have an appetite and maybe the possibility of food tasting like something again.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with Covid tried using weed to help with taste buds? Does it do anything at all?

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I got COVID about 2 weeks ago. After about 5 days my sense of taste and smell nearly completely disappeared. Some of it has come back but there are definitely still things I eat where I'm taken aback by how they taste of nothing.

At its worst I found that I could still taste very basic notes (salty, sweet, spicy, bitter) but nothing else. Texture became more important to me, so if something was crunchy for example that was more satisfying than eating something mushy even if I couldn't taste either.

I really hope it all comes back eventually, it's totally disarming eating something that tastes of nothing when you don't have a cold. At the moment I'm struggling with subtlety of flavour. In the past few days I've eaten chocolate orange cookies where I could detect no hint of orange and gingerbread cookies where I could detect no hint of ginger. They both just tasted very generically sweet.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, so you still have dulled taste/smell six months later? Yeesh.

If you're unlucky. I feel lucky that it is dulled, my wife is less fortunate.

Smoking would clearly be a bad idea but I wonder if edibles could help with anything.

I really wouldn't mess with that. No alcohol either. Your body needs to be able to fight back. And you need to always be aware of your own progress. I recommend buying a pulse oximeter to measure your blood oxygen, and keep record of your temperature when you develop a fever. It's good to keep a dated list of your progress handy.

Last edited: