• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Throughout my time with PS4 I have felt a deep regret about not being able to play Forza Horizon games so this is a large factor. Sony shuttering Evolution is also a large factor. Also Game Pass just seems irresistable to me.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Switching back to Xbox because of a mixture of increased game price and Gamepass and BC features. Meaning I'll get to play more stuff for playing less on Xbox. I've got 3 years of Gamepass for 90 bucks, that's pretty much the cost of a single next gen game.

Also it looks like the Xbox might be the best place for multiplats as it's supposed to be a bit more powerful. So I'm guessing it could be a better place for third party games as well. I'll get the PS5 eventually when there are more games and the prices of some of them have gone down.

Jun 7, 2020
I was looking to be multi-platform with PS5 bought first. I buy consoles for what they do different to PC, and because the kid in me loves to see what's new. The PS5 ticks that box massively with the recent UX reveal and the surprisingly glowing DualSense reception from across the board.
I was set on getting an XSX later on—love the console design itself—but it feels like an incremental step up from the Xbox One and One X. It feels like part of the same family, and I guess that's by design. That coupled with the AMD announcements around Zen3 and RDNA2 make me want to put the XSX money towards a new gaming PC build instead. I'm quite excited by what AMD are doing at the moment, more so than I am by what the Xbox team are doing.
I just can't see where Xbox fits in to all of that for me personally, unless it does have some games made only for it later on in the generation that take my interest.

berts08

Jul 27, 2020
So.. you're not changing systems - which is the purpose of this thread to discuss...

What is the point of this? You just felt like bagging on Xbox for a bit?

Its just my opinion, no need to quote me while there has been others who are not switching. I did state I would buy an xbox if they buy out square enix. I dont give a shit about console wars, im to old for that nonsence.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Respect man it isn't for me but cloud services are low risk and if it works for you high reward. Will you be switching between xcloud, stadia, or Amazon Luna or just trying to only stick to Stadia?

Thanks man. I've already been switching between all the available services, but I find Stadia to be so much better tech-wise I use it 90% of the time I play anything. Geforce Now is mostly a Dota 2 / Witcher 3 player for me. I used PS Now for Bloodborne and other PS exclusives. XCloud is kind of the bastard step-child right now so I haven't used it other than to try it out on various devices. Once the new console launches, I have high hopes they'll finish making xbox game streaming into something more competitive with the other services. I signed up for the Amazon beta but I haven't received access yet, but pretty stoked to try it out as well.

It's a seriously interesting time to be a fan of games but not a fan of buying things, heh. For those of us lucky enough to live within the serviced regions, there are a ridiculous number of options available for gaming. It's crazy.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I was close to buying an Xbox just because of how well and minimally designed the console itself is. It's like. A perfect looking electronic for my tastes. But there are like, zero exclusives that interest me. I can't think of an Xbox exclusive that ever made me want one, aside from Halo 2. Not trying to bash Xbox, just stating my opinion. Whereas PS5 has at least a few exclusives I want, and probably a lot more eventually given my experience with previous Playstations. However I ain't touchin that first iteration PS5 with a stick. The slimmer redesign can't come fast enough.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Obsidian, Inxile, Stalker 2, Bethesda. The first three already had me leaning Xbox, but the Bethesda purchase made it a no-brainer. Game Pass will be a hell of a bonus though.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I'm still not sure whether I'll get a PS5 or a Series X first (it comes down to exclusives), I'm definitely becoming significantly more invested in the Xbox ecosystem. I'm really looking forward to the Series X, and I can't say enough how I've been impressed with Microsoft's focus on backwards compatibility. I never had an original Xbox or a 360, so I've been enjoying playing games I missed out on via the Xbox One, and getting the chance to play the best version of multi-platform games from the 360/PS3 era. Red Dead Redemption, baby! God, that sure was... something on the PS3. Gamepass is fantastic value, too, and gives me an opportunity to try games I wouldn't buy or play normally, or would otherwise wait until veeery deep sale. The Zenimax acquisition, on top of Double Fine/Ninja Theory/Obsidian, was another incentive to stay invested with the Xbox ecosystem long term as well.

G9man2

Sep 18, 2020
My last xbox I bought was a launch xbox 360. I am getting the series x for gamepass ultimate. As a dad of 2 babies its just too good of a value.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Already pre-ordered my PS5 but I also getting for the first time an Xbox. Already have Gamepass Ultimate on PC (for the next 2 years) so Series X was no brainer for me.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm changing which company's system I get 1st this gen
I'm out of work due to covid - and although I get some income now it's not even close to my previous salary etc - sold a shit load of my games and action figures on eBay to get the money for the series x (made £1500 and put £450 towards console and put the other £1000 to help with living and bills)
I can't afford games right now but had ultimate gamepass stacked up until 2022 before I lost my job
I'll get a PS5 when I get working again and more importantly, when there is unique mind blowing games for it (because Sony top tier 1st party games cannot be missed)

I got PS2 / 3 / 4 as primary consoles last few generations but Sony arrogance and no backwards compatibility for PS4 already turned me off them completely this gen
Their saving grace has honestly been PSVR that's had a hell of a lot of play the past 2 years

As someone with a PSP, vita, ps1, PS2 and PS3 extensive digital library i had invested in over their lifespan Sony wiped that all away this gen - I mean, I even bought a PSP go as well as having a launch PSP-1000 from USA because I believed in the digital revolution happening and investment into a library of games... good I still have 2 working PS3 here including a PS3 phat, but yeah I'm not the Sony fan I used to be...

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
When it comes down to it for me (Having had all PS consoles and getting my first XBox in 7 days) it was a few things (In no order)

Gamepass. Quite a bit to play on there not only for me, but for my kids too, all for a pretty low price, especially for the next 3 years. Game prices are just mental now and with Bethesda in there now - that's pretty awesome.

I've liked what Phil Spencer has been saying, and it feels more gamer/consumer friendly than how I've felt about Sony. MS jumped into cross play, Sony dragged their heels which I thought was crap. I never like the console guys who are "winning" because they tend to get arrogant.

I like the attitude of just having an "XBox" and Smart Delivery gives you the best of what it can do. BC is there too with enhancements for free for the most part.

All that said I am still a little worried. I've never had an XBox and to be honest I really enjoy Sony's first party games for the most part and MSs ones I don't really care for (Bethesda/Id changes that a little now) but with GoW coming to PS4 and Horizon as well, that probably only leaves the Last of Us (If another comes).

So it's a bit of an experiment, I'll see where it lands.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I am not 'changing companies' as I am still getting a PS5 but I am also buying a Xbox for the first time since the original. Never bought a 360 or One so look forward to being able to play what I missed on the XSX thanks to their backwards compatibility. If only the PS5 could do PS1-3 as well so I could retire my 20gb model.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I'll be buying both eventually but I'll be sticking with Xbox Series X as my primary console. I'm a big fan of what Microsoft has done this generation with backward compatibility. I like the idea of being able to play multiple generations of games on one system. The recent studio acquisitions along with GamePass are just a plus. I'll still be getting a PS5 for their exclusives along with the fact that my PS4 Pro is almost unbearably loud. I literally can't play it without headphones as it's so loud. Neither here nor there but for the record I'm not a fan of the PS5 design. It's just too much and will definitely stick out in my entertainment center.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I'm switching to Series X from PS4 because of GamePass, Obsidian, Double Fine and Bethesda.

I may get a PS5 down the line if there are some exclusives I'm interested in (e.g. Bloodborne 2).

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
I had an OG Xbox and a 360, but skipped the Xbox One. I'm looking forward to jumping back in with a Series X, driven mainly by their new focus and direction, and more so in the value of Gamepass. It's not a complete switch as I'll still be trying to snag a PS5, but either way I'll be jumping back into the Xbox ecosystem after skipping them with the One.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Changing as in not getting an Xbox next gen until much later on. I normally get both at launch. Three reasons; there's nothing coming out on it for a while that warrants a purchase, the actual console is designed to look as dull and uninspiring as possible, and they haven't really innovated with the controller and UI.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Reading this thread I am really surprised by the amount of people switching from PS to Xbox, while no one is doing it the other way around.

Well, I am not switching from Xbox, I want a series x and the cheapest newest pc parts I can afford in Brazil (probably AMD).

subliminal17

May 21, 2018
I think I'll end up getting both this generation eventually because they both seem pretty good, but as the owner of a PS4 Pro that skipped Xbox One entirely, I'm almost certainly getting a Series X. Game Pass is the main thing for me, but also the much nicer design (IMO) and greater consumer friendliness helps too. I'll get a PS5 when there's a hardware revision and/or a black model and a few more exclusives I care about that my PS4 Pro can't play.

This might be different if I was more into Demon's Souls or Ratchet, but eh. Horizon becoming a PS4 game too kinda sealed it for me.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Almost every post in here is a PS4 owner Switching to Xbox. I wonder if this is simply due to the PS4's dominance creating a bigger population of possible switchers or if there might be a bit of a shift happening in the Resetera community.

xltrxrxch

Jun 15, 2020
British Columbia, Canada
Switching to Xbox. With how expensive games are getting, I want to build my digital library and know that it'll be accessible years and years down the line. That and I do prefer the Xbox ecosystem as a whole (and GamePass).

Vir

Oct 27, 2017
Western Australia
Series X will become my primary - due to GamePass and due to the crazy costs of PS5 games here in Australia - especially since I am all digital.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I'll main PS5 but I might pick up my first xbox ever with the series s depending on what exclusives come out.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Going to Xbox for gamepass. Tons of games and the Kishi controller makes my phone a nice xcloud machine.

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I love WRPGs and I think Gamepass is a fantastic deal, so that is why I am getting a Series X. With Microsoft now owning Obsidian, inXile and Bethesda as well as having Playground making Fable there was kind of no way around this console for me.

I had a PS4 Pro as my main console, but also got a Xbox One X later on. I no longer have a PS5 on pre-order. The first party game prices here in Europe were ridiculous. It being ugly and huge also didn't help.

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
I'm getting both but was PS4 and switch this gen.

Basically I haven't played a gen of Xbox games so getting them on game pass is already good value. And it cost me less for three years of game pass ultimate than two ps5 games. So I'll be waiting for first party Sony games to drop in price while playing game pass.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
Almost every post in here is a PS4 owner Switching to Xbox. I wonder if this is simply due to the PS4's dominance creating a bigger population of possible switchers or if there might be a bit of a shift happening in the Resetera community.
A bit of everything. PlayStation had a larger user base this gen + the steadily growing popularity of Gamepass + good hardware from Xbox + publisher acquisition = more competitive generation 😊

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wont get any of them this gen since honestly, both are kind of disappointing in terms of hardware (modularity of the PC suited me more anyway) and the previous gen I did absolutely nothing with my PS4 besides watch Netflix. Additionally more and more platform exclusives are finding its way to PC

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always get everything from the big 3, but I've been on the third party games on Xbox train since the 360. I was going to keep it that way with the XSX but this PS5 controller has me considering switching my ways... I'll give it a year or so to see if devs stick with making good use out of the DualSense.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't got any xbox since my launch 360 that I had to send in for repairs 5-6 times. I had panned to buy an xbox series s along with a ps5. I choose to cancel my ps5 preorder, and preorder a xbox series x instead.I did it because

• Gamepass, I got gamepass ultimate for 27 months for dirt cheap
  • I got a pc with an old gtx970. I use it to play indies from gamepass in my office (and I tried forza horizon 4, what a blast!).
  • BC, I skiped the xbox one, I have several games that are all new to me
  • 360 games in 4K
  • I can get the ps5 later. I don't really have time for 3 consoles. I sold my ps4 pro in februrary, I only miss Shenmue 3.

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
Microsoft was dead on arrival when the PS4/Xbox One launched. It was almost Wii U levels of bad, we can't forget that. The last years of the 360 were already bad but the Xbox One was baffling on every front. Everyone and their mothers switched to the PS4.

It's important to realize that Sony wasn't that hegemonic since the PS2 – and I'd argue the Xbox and the Gamecube were more successful than the Xbox One (if you think that gaming has grown exponentially since the PS2 era, so sales numbers don't tell the whole story).

Then Microsoft started changing things, little by little. And now they have a clear vision, great services with great pricing and a beast of a machine that seems more powerful than their competition. If Microsoft was the same from 2013, nobody would be switching at all. But now, they're real competition. They have stuff others don't offer. I'd also argue some people are switching, while some are coming back to Microsoft from the 360 era.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say I'm changing companies as much as I am getting both day and date. This current gen I was so disgusted with what the Xbox One was that I didn't get one until a few months later around the time Titanfall released. I was PS4 centric for half of the generation. Now both seem like they will get equal play day one.

Oct 27, 2017
High price of PS5 games are making me re-think my position. I'm usually a one system person. Will wait for DF review of both and than roll the dice.
Although as I said, €80 per Sony game ... Ouch!

May 13, 2018
Mainly because I've played on playstation only for a decade and want to switch it up. Have Xbox as my main console and get a PS5 down the line for those exclusives.

cookturkey

Nov 10, 2018
Switching from PlayStation to Xbox. Overall disillusioned with Sony's arrogance and lack of customer focus.

1. Had a base PS4 and gave Sony even more money for a PS4 Pro. Aeroplane level fan noise is flat out unacceptable - so loud I can't even hear over the max volume on my LG C9.
2. PSN download speeds are unacceptable considering how much I pay for PS+.
3. Xbox Gamepass is ridiculously good value for money.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Games and more importantly Gamepass.

I've always had all three main players from each gen on me, but this time I am skipping PS5. Miles Morales, while amazing looking isn't enough for me and I don't have VR.

Xbox simply has the better value for me especially if Gamepass will include sports games in the future.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Switching back to PlayStation.

I want a next-gen gaming experience that isn't solely based on graphics and performance. So, since DualSense is a literal game-changer and 3D audio is apparently pretty cool, I feel like I'll have more immersive experiences on PS5 this generation.

Plus, until Microsoft un-fucks Halo Infinite, I can't really trust their handling of beloved first-party franchises. Better to wait and see.

ramboma

Jul 18, 2019
it's hard to think an xbox fan stuck with their XBO for 7 years and only gave in to playstation now, just when MS is starting to improve. most already switched to PS early on or mid-gen.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I'm getting both this gen, but I skipped out on the xbox one. I mainly decided to get a Series X because of game pass and the enhanced backwards compatible games. E.g Red Dead redemption, Ninja Gaiden Black, 2 etc.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Not changing companies per se, as I like to own all consoles, but I am holding off getting a PS5D until GoW2.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Prior to going PC and then Switch, I was strictly Playstation. Microsoft offered incredibly little in terms of incentive in order to swap.

Right now, they have a compelling set of unique offerings that make it a platform that I would jump in for. Weirdly, there are a lot of platforms out there making this sort of decision really hard. I'm liking what I see of the PS5 hardware (apart from the size), I like the low barrier of entry into the Xbox ecosystem, the rumblings of Switch Pro is enticing, then there are all the other wild cards like Oculus, Amazon Luna, all viable things I could spend money on next.

I think it isn't as simple as PS vs Xbox any more.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying both consoles...but depending on how large the performance gap is between them...the new PS5 DualSense controller could be the deciding factor in where I play some 3rd party titles (something I didn't anticipate going in...was planning on XSX being the main gamepass/third party console and PS5 only for exclusives). On flip side...really impressed with XSX backward compatibility...will be interesting to see how PS5 stacks up in terms of BC.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the PS4 first last time. XSX first this time and PS5 may never follow. Xbox ecosystem is infinitely more appealing as are the games.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI and I don't want to deal with Microsoft bullshit after Xbox Brazil and 343 fiasco.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure this counts since I did this more in the middle of the generation, but Xbox is going to be my primary platform again. The Xbox controller is just so much more comfortable and I really like the asymmetrical sticks as well whereas the symmetrical sticks have never been comfortable to me after the PS2
h
This is me to a tee. I've always owned all Xbox and PS consoles but never buy them within a year of each other. Every gen I buy a PS first, then get an OG XB (loved that hard drive) , 360 (for the controller and seemed to be devs' primary for games I played) and One (Game Pass) after, and they become my main.

This time, going SX first then waiting for the PS5 Slim/Pro. Game Pass plus games being more expensive (especially amplified by Game Pass) make it easy for me.

Helps that Miles Morales and thee new Horizon will be playable on PS4, making the decision even easier. I'm sure something will be announced sooner than later, but no exclusives announced so far appeal to me. Also,and ultimately doesn't matter, but that PS5 is a fucking beast, here's hoping a Slim is more reasonably less huge lol I can't wait to get one in a couple of years and dip into the backlog it's built up then, but for now, make my platform Game Pass.

Hell, if I can play Flight Sim reliably on my phone, fuck getting an Xbox anyway though lol