• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got a PS5 for Demon's Souls(worth it).

I tried to get a RTX 3000 series card but couldn't find one for a reasonable price and i am glad for it.Would have been an unnecessary purchase for me.My 5700xt is good enough for another year at least.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
I was able to preorder a PS5, and I had a stress free experience getting the Series X post launch.

Trying to get a 3070/80 is probably the hardest experience I've ever had trying to get any product ever (and I also like sneakers). It seems impossible, if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them. The "Twitter alerts" strategy isn't working, cards are gone as soon as I click a link.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Got a PS5/XSX day one mostly stress free and from Amazon (I take it I got super lucky since Amazon has been awol for a while).
Interested in a new GFX card but since I have the new consoles I'll just stick with my 580 until the new cards become easier and maybe cheaper to get.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
All good here. Missed the first batch because I decided to wait and see if a friend could come through with an early unit, but that didn't happen so luckily a friend tipped me off about a batch going up at a certain time in a local retailer's website and it did. Bought my PS5 and it arrived like 2 or 3 days later no issues.

XSX is the issue here, it's not sold officially so you gotta rely on the gray market and when they do get a unit, they sell it for like $1100 and I sure as hell ain't paying that much.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get a PS5 Disc Edition preorder fom Amazon and a 3080 on launch day from Newegg. Pretty happy this year, both purchases seem to be worth their cost so far.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
PS5 - got a preorder in Day 1 - was very lucky.
Series X - just got it a couple weeks ago! Best Buy drop came in clutch.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
PS5 - I was very lucky and was able to order the first day pre-orders went live with best buy... at 3AM in the morning. Thanks Wario64!!!

3080 - Tried for a few weeks with no luck, decided to camp out at microcenter and was able to score a 3080 Rog Strix. Had to stand outside for a few hours but worth it IMO.

All in all, I am ready for next(current?)gen gaming :)

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't get anything but I haven't been trying all that hard. I'm still surprised that this stuff still sells out in minutes, if not seconds.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Got what I wanted with PS5 and a 3080. However PS5's bugs have somewhat colored the experience, and the 3080 was for Cyberpunk, which now I'll probably wait until the summer for them to fix the bugs before jumping in.

Erban1

Oct 26, 2017
Managed a ps5 for myself and my brother and a series X through preorders. I never have much luck with stuff like this so it was a pleasant surprise

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to snag two PS5 pre-orders the day they came out. First one at Target right off the bat and then another at Best Buy in the wee hours of the morning when the website finally recovered. My sister wasn't so lucky so she got one of them.

Didn't even try getting a GPU this year, I think I'm falling out of love with PC gaming and the prospect of hunting for core components isn't doing much to entice me back.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
I got a PS5 at Launch and a 3080 a month ago. It was a real pain in the A to get the GPU. Now I'm looking for a not totally overpriced 5900x. That's almost impossible.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I've been really fortunate. Got a 3080, PS5, Series X, and Series S for myself, and was able to get various family members/coworkers some as well (mostly PS5s). Sold them all at MSRP, just happy to make their Christmas.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I got a PS5 at Launch and a 3080 a month ago. It was a real pain in the A to get the GPU. Now I'm looking for a not totally overpriced 5900x. That's almost impossible.
If you don't mind $30 more, the 5900X I grabbed was the lowest priced Newegg bundle that they drop. It's a stick of 8GB RAM included from some brand I've never heard of, but it's not horribly overpriced.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I was lucky enough to get a PS5, XSX, 3090, and a 5950X. The CPU/GPU search was a freaking pain in the ass though. Constant stock watching with alerts for like 2 months straight.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I got a Series X in the very first wave of Amazon pre-orders. It showed up on release day.

Two weeks ago a co-worker had an extra(!) link to order an RTX 3070 directly from EVGA, so I completely lucked out there with no effort on my part.

I have put many hours into trying to secure a PS5 since the day pre-orders started. PS Direct, Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon. It was all demoralizing bullshit and I've given up. I'll try again in a month or so, or if I ever here that one of these retailers is willing to take a fucking back order instead of completely disrespecting my time.

Oct 29, 2017
Decided the PS5 was a much better value to try out RT than digging for an RTX card. Took a few days watching Twitter notifications and a gaming Discord to grab one though. As my first PS system looking forward to trying the exclusives. So far Spider-man/Mile Morales are fantastic.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Around 11am one day I realized it was the day Series X would be up for preorders, so I opened the Amazon app on my phone and ordered mine. Arrived four days before the official launch. Can't complain at all.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It took a lot of eager watching, and some great discord links. Got a 3080FE a week after launch because of some midnight nVidia drop shenanigans. Walmart came through for the PS5, and that first link felt like it was up for a good twenty minutes before the hype had reached insanity. Got a Series X for a friend through the Microsoft Store, although this one shipped after a month of purchase!

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
At first I pre-ordered the moment the ps5 went up on target and Amazon. But didn't trust it to get delivered, something in my gut said to do best buy.

So I pre-ordered for pick up at a best buy 40 minutes away from me because I was too slow for the ones closer to me.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Literally impossible for me right now. Every time there's a drop I'm at work and you don't even have a full minute to order before they're all gone.

The complete inverse from getting a PS4.

Nov 1, 2017
I was lucky and snagged a PS5 from Walmart when they first opened preorders. Right place at the right time.

The other week one of my friends tipped me off on a Newegg restock of 3090 also. Had to purchase one of their ripoff combos, so now I have some ram I'll never use, but the card has improved my lightmap bake times by several hours so it was well worth the price.

I have no real advice other than to have all of your checkout information tip top. I tried to pick up some more for friends and family, but Wario64 has been fairly useless this time around compared to previous launches.

Last edited:

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Got a PS5 Digital Edition day one, 3060 Ti day one, and had an order for a Series X day one but eventually cancelled it. Bought a Series X in December.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Tried and tried and tried. Followed stock alerts and Reddit/Reset Eta threads. People on Twitter. Many times I was on the site when stock went live only to have the site crash. I got an item in a cart a couple of times but was never able to check out. It's all a bunch of horse shit.

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Got my PS5 & XSX day 1 from Walmart Canada of all places. Blew my mind, the kind of infrastructure they have in place to not cave when literally thousands logged on (as well as bots) to purchase one. All other stores (i had multiple tabs open) either crashed on me or put me in a queue. I was able to pre-order 2 PS5's from Walmart with zero issues. Got them delivered day 1 as well, so kudos to Walmart for the magic they pulled off.
Edit: The second PS5 was from their last drop a couple weeks before launch.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Pre-ordered a Playstation 5 on Amazon.de, got it on release day and play since then. Couldn't be better.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Cross posting but for those in NA looking for a PS5 you should join the PS Direct website queue.

A Drop is happening in 20 mins

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was reading Era after the PlayStation event, a thread was posted about preorder possibly going live, checked the preorder thread and five minutes later had a preorder from Walmart

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
It was a rollercoaster for sure. I made my pre order for the PS5 as soon as it opened for me in September, made the payment and got a confirmation that my unit would come in day one. I kept calling my retailer to make sure my system is secure because I'm paranoid and knowing how retailers are here I just knew that they would cancel or delay it to suit other customers willing to shell out more for bundles (this has happened before).

A month before the console launches I get a call from my retailer confirming my biggest fear, they delayed my unit by an entire month furthermore they don't promise that they can deliver it by then either. upon asking why I soon understood that they did not delay it for the above reason rather they apparently took more pre orders than they can fulfill so they had to delay my unit's shipment despite me being one of the first to pre order. naturally, I was super bummed out, everyone during the final weeks before launch were super into discussing what they will play when they get their hands on their units only for me stare at their messages with deep pain lol

On the week of the launch I was getting desperate. The PS5 was probably the only thing I was looking forward to this year and I didn't want to prolong the wait any further so I pretty much scoured the whole local retail shops and online storefronts to get a unit on launch day despite me knowing the chances of getting that are slim, I was even lured to looking at scalper offers though my moral consciousness would vehemently object to actually buying from them. come launch day here on the 19th, I had pretty much given up on all hope getting my hands on PS5 in November, I literally went to bed on the 19th afternoon sulking and eventually falling asleep. I wake up 2 hours later to see 3 notifications on my phone, an email which is payment receipt for the order I made, an SMS for link to track an order that's made and the final notification was from the retailer's app itself confirming that my PS5 was indeed out for shipment and will be delivered the next day. I got my PS5 on the 20th of November and TL;DR I basically was disappointed for a day's delay.

Last edited:

Anim

Oct 29, 2017
I ordered a 3070, but cancelled it after getting a notification that the shipping date is unknown. Then a few weeks later I ordered a 3060 Ti like 2 minutes after it went up and was sure that I'll get it the next day. However, the next day I got an e-mail that the aforementioned 3070 was shipped and also that my 3060 Ti has an unknown shipping date. So I cancelled the 3060 Ti and ended up with a 3070 after all, lol.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Got a PS5 physical from Amazon for release date delivery thanks to ERA. Not buying a GPU until my current machine is completely outdated (9900K/2080/32GB).

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Thankfully I was able to procure everything I wanted. Xbox Series X, PS5, and a 3090 FTW3 Ultra. To be honest my Xbox is collecting dust, I probably should have just held onto my One X. The 3090 was the most difficult to obtain and is also what is getting the majority of my gaming time. I had to trade an extra PS5 preorder I had for the Series X.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
i copped a PS5 on launch night from PS Direct, which i never in my life expected to happen.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I got a Series X that I got for MSRP which is still in the box and I don't know what I want to do with it. And I have a 3080 that is due to arrive tomorrow, but I did the shameful thing with that and bought it from a reseller.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I got a PS5 and a Series X preordered as soon as they went up, and had at least a couple opportunities to get a 3080 but don't really need one. It was a mix of luck and knowing when to be looking at Wario64's twitter.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
On the consoles side i did not managed to get my hands on a PS5 and at this point all i've kinda given up.
I'll probably pick one when the Horizon 2 comes out, but all my launch hype pretty much died out.

On the PC side i put together a new rig powered by a Ryzen 5900x, X570 motherboard, 32gb of RAM and NVME goodies.
Still using the old 980ti until i can get my hands on a 6800xt or 3080 since at them moment they're non existent where i live or being sold by scalpers at €1300+.

LE: I'll pick a Series X later down the line for my console collection, but it's not a big priority since i have a PC.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
It wasn't looking good but I finally managed to win a PS5 preorder lottery for the digital edition! I won't be able to hook it up over the New Years holidays but am looking forward to getting into some next gen gaming after the holidays

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was lucky enough to get a pre-order alongside a couple of friends. We'd all watched the PS5 showcase early in the morning, were chatting when one of us noticed the system had gone up for pre-order on EB, we all acted immediately and each got a pre-order in. It was weird watching the chaos unfold over the rest of the day as different retailers started taking pre-orders. I wonder if I'd have gotten a pre-order if Sony had gone with Microsoft's approach, I'm kind of thankful for the chaos.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I was able to preorder a XSX from the MS store. It went well, only issue is that it didn't get delivered until the day after launch.