• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What size M.2 SSD did you install into your PS5?

• Less than 1TB

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • 1TB

Votes: 179 56.3%
  • 2TB

Votes: 115 36.2%
  • More than 2TB

Votes: 9 2.8%

• Total voters

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
1 TB SN850 for PS5 games, plus a leftover 500 GB Sumsung 970 Pro in an external enclosure for PS4 games/storage

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
2TB is pretty much the sweet price point. 4TB and up it's the cost of a PS5 and a Switch OLED put together.
If you know where to look around you can get a 2TB for around 250/300 bucks.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Haven't bought one yet but trying to consider if I should get a 500gb or 1tb for the living room PS5 just because it doesn't play as much, but I don't want to stick PS4 games on an external drive because there's not a good place to hide it.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to go any smaller than 2TB IMO, it's not like more storage can be added later without ditching what you already have.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Sony's only good for 3-4 games I need to play over the course of a generation so 1tb plus internal is more than enough.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I used a Sabrent SATA -> USB C adapter for my Samsung 850 drive but the PS5 did not like it at all. Had to remove it. Gonna have to get an internal M.2 SSD :'(

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
Just a 1 TB, while I have a decent backlog of PS4 games, there won't be many PS5 games to install for the foreseeable future. So that should be fine.

Oct 31, 2017
1tb. I don't replay most games so I will end up deleting to save more space. For my playstyle 1.7 tb is enough.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
1TB just cramps up way to quickly. I want my stuff on demand, if I'm gonna be paying money to expand storage. Even 2TB filled up pretty quick.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I grabbed a 2 TB and I think it'll be plenty , felt nice to finally install more than 5 newer games at once again.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
1TB WD Black. I almost went with 2 but my internet is plenty fast enough. If I do somehow fill it all it's no problem to just delete and redownload. That said I don't see myself filling up this much space. Some people say games file sizes may get smaller as we get farther into the current gen as well…

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I got the 1 TB Western Digital SN850 and a 3rd party heatsink. At the time I had some Best Buy reward certificates and it was on sale so it was a good deal. When the bigger drives get cheaper I can possibly move the 1 TB into a PC.

Oct 30, 2017
i got a samsung 1TB. i feel like by the time i truly need more than that it'll be a lot cheaper to go with 2TB or above.

my rule with storage is generally get whatever would cost you more than twice as much to buy in one unit, if you get me. so 2TB was more than twice the price of 1TB when i was shopping, which is a pretty big convenience tax, so 1TB is the best value. but eventually 2TB will only be 50% more than the cost of 1, etc

OP
OP
Lycanthrope -R-
Aug 26, 2018
日本
Alright. Installed without breaking anything. That cover is a little harder to pop off than I thought. lol

my rule with storage is generally get whatever would cost you more than twice as much to buy in one unit, if you get me. so 2TB was more than twice the price of 1TB when i was shopping, which is a pretty big convenience tax, so 1TB is the best value. but eventually 2TB will only be 50% more than the cost of 1, etc
Huh. That was pretty much the case with mine, actually. The 2TB was just twice as much as the 1TB Samsung one. I don't know what country you're in, though.

Oct 30, 2017
Huh. That was pretty much the case with mine, actually. The 2TB was just twice as much as the 1TB Samsung one. I don't know what country you're in, though.

japan. does seem like the US had some black friday deals that might have convinced me to go with 2TB, but everything here was like $400

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
I got the 1 TB Western Digital SN850 with heatsink on a possibly too good to be true ebay listing. I have buyer protection though. Let's see what happens!

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the 1tb SN850 with heatsink for £140 last week. Before that I was fine with the internal drive and a 1tb external for PS4 games and cold storage.
Having the extra space just incase is cool but I'm ok with deleting games if I need too.

In total I've 1.6tb internal and 1tb external. I can't see myself needing any more than that.

OP
OP
Lycanthrope -R-
Aug 26, 2018
日本
japan. does seem like the US had some black friday deals that might have convinced me to go with 2TB, but everything here was like $400
Oh. I'm actually in Japan, too. But electronics here are always more expensive than they probably should be. I just coughed up the 40,000 yen. There were a few cheaper options, but they were brands that I'd never heard of. I probably could've shopped around a bit more, but even the 1TBs are largely gonna be roughly 20,000.

My fun story is the time I bought an American 40" Vizio and had it shipped to Japan for less than it would've cost to just go down to the store and get one. It's nuts. But I guess it's all produced with shady labor practices regardless so who knows how much anything is really supposed to cost...

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I just ordered 2TB m.2 drive myself. I don't play on my PS5 too often but with Horizon FW getting ready to drop I expect to be playing that one pretty regular.

I had just 1TB m.2 on my PC and that filled up kinda quick. sure I have fiber but its a hassle to reinstall something you might get the itch to boot up so I dont like uninstalling games unless I have finished them