• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Contemplating having all three and using a pc to play non-multiplayer third party games for graphic fidelity. Did you find the investment worth it?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, getting a PC in 2018 was the best thing I've done gaming wise.

Higher entry cost, depending on your rig but you'll save money over time with the frequent game sales and no paid online.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yes. games are CHEAP on PC via humble bundles (or free like the Epic game store or having an Amazon Prime sub has shown me). Owning a PC has honestly made my Xbox more obsolete than anything else, but it's been great. The occasional gamepass game thats only on console but not pc has made me turn on the xbox, but other than that I play on ps4, switch and a gaming PC on the regular.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is how I've rolled this past generation. I played 90% of multiplats on PC and used my PS4 for the (many amazing) exclusives. Used my OG One for the same thing, but after MS started releasing everything on PC I gave my console to my parents so they could use it as a media center.

It was a good experience! I intend on doing the same thing this generation. First a new PC and then a PS5 a few years down the road when it has more exclusives.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
I have a one x that I use only for emulation, PS4 I only boot for exclusives.
I'm on my pc literally every day.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super worth it to me. Some games I prefer to play on the couch I grab on console, but primarily on PC now minus the 1st party exclusives and the occasional game I play with my console friends.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dear god yes.

i expect the waters to be muddied more upcoming gen though. if you asked me circa 2014 i'd swear on never owning a console again but the market is acclimating

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yes. I was a PlayStation-only guy for a long time, but now it takes a backseat to my PC. And my Xbox collects dust.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The PC was worth it absolutely, but I definitely felt like having both consoles was extremely pointless. I just like PC because I like a lot of third person action adventure games and long RPGs be played with a keyboard and mouse, and my Xbox/PS4 is great for just sitting down and playing games on the TV easily.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 mainly for Rockband and JP import games (I can read Chinese), but a lot of those are coming to PC now.
Xbox mainly for multiplayer with friends, but one of them now decides he doesn't want to pay for Gold anymore.
Switch mainly for Ringfit nowadays. Undocked it hurts my hand to hold for too long.
The PC, especially with Game Pass, is the workhorse. Now that Xbox X doesn't seem to have enough enticing games, I'm looking at 3080 for raytracing.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For me yes, I'm able to bring my laptop around making it easier to make time to play a game in my down time. If I stuck with consoles it hard for me to make time for them prob best could do would be 1 hour or so at night before bed.

With MS releasing all there games on PC I still get about 90% of the games I want to play this way. I'll miss a Sony exclusive but usually not more then 1 or so a year so easy to make due.

I wanted it to replace my consoles so kinda different then what you might be trying.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The freedom of PC to do all kinds of extra little things like demos and emulators and all kinds of things like that, along with games being cheaper in general is a major component of what I do on PC.

I still do consoles for achievements and convenience, but PC just provides me so much more ability to do things.

And given how easy PC is to get into and maintain nowadays, like, yeah, it's a no brainer.

I also have Game Pass Ultimate, which I keep up with Microsoft points. Lots of great games on both PC and console so I go back and forth. PS4 I have for exclusives mainly.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
PC shines in the indie game community. Always has, always will.

But in terms of sensibilities I'm really, really guessing there aren't a lot of Xbone/PC gamers out there.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah but not for like, the big releases. It's worth it for stuff like indie games that don't come to console for a while, freeware games like Stepmania and Osu, emulators, older PC games. If the PC platform was literally just console games at better resolutions/framerates I wouldn't bother.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.
I went back to PC gaming in 2016 and the level of freedom you have is totally worth it.

It is not only about the graphics. It is about doing what you want. More graphics or more framerates, mods, cheats, choice of inputs.

I ended up double dipping a lot during the first sales. No regrets.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Most of the games I played this gen are Nintendo or Playstation exclusives, but I do occasionally play some of the PC-centric stuff as well (a recent example would be Crusader Kings III), so I'd say it was somewhat worth it. Certainly could've lived without one, though.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
If you want eye candy and the best IQ PC is the way to go. Many console gamers or those not familiar with PC or how stuff works are thinking that the Xbox Series X/PS5 will have games at 4k at good frame rates and will look just as good as the PC counterparts.

The BIG thing that many don't understand is that there is a lot more than just resolution. You have shadow detail, ambient occlusion levels, AA settings, AF levels, world detail levels and a shit ton of other things. If you take a 4k game from the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro and match that with the same game on PC at 4k, but you have all those other settings set to high or ultra it is a night and day difference. I think people put too much stock into the "4k" so it must look just like a high end PC game are way off base.

We don't know what settings Series X or PS5 games will run at and will be different for each game. If they manage to be 4k and have most settings at High then things will be good....but I doubt that. On PC depending on hardware you can have even older games look Amazing and a ton better than the same game on the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Most of my friends are PC + Switch so it worked out pretty well. Plus some games either come to Pc first or never come to console.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Totally worth it, but you might not be too interested in going back to console once you do. On the plus side, I find it's much easier and cheaper to round out your library on PC than on console.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Absolutely. You'll probably find having a PC kinda removes the need for an Xbox.

A high frame rate goes a long, long way

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
PC came to dominate my time throughout the generation, in large part because performance was just so much higher

Obviously the high cost is an impediment for many but games do tend to be cheaper, with larger or more frequent sales, helping to mitigate that somewhat.

Now you can also get Xbox exclusives on Game Pass which makes the value of a PC even greater.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Playing Sekiro at 144fps is, in my opinion, the very peak of real time combat in a video game. It really should be experienced by everyone who loves video games, but you need a PC to do it.

Totally worth it

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Absolutely. I basically only use my consoles for Exclusives. I like my X1X as a bluray player and Back Compat machine, and my PS4 let me play Bloodborne, so that was nice, and I don't regret either purchase. As a result, I pretty much game only on PC.

Extremely high framerates, tons of customization options, way more sales on games and way more games in general to play from a decades-old library make it an easy sell.

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely. I could give up playstation consoles fairly easily, but they do just enough to grab me every gen (ps2 and ps1 era different story-they were ABSOLUTE must haves for me, ps3 and ps4 not so much)

PC tho? has everything i want and need and the performance i desire.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
The unspoken best part about having a PC is when you find out about this great game from 10 years ago, you buy it for $4 and proceed to play it at 4k, 120fps, with modded textures, added SSAO, lightning fast load times and a mod that removes <annoying thing>.

(Almost) infinite backwards compatibility is the best. You stop being part of hype cycles and start enjoying games that keep getting better with hardware and modding age.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I was firmly a 360 gamer in 2008 until I bought a PC, and have been primarily PC ever since. I consider gaming as hobby, on consoles you have a cap in terms of price (a good thing for some), but also a cap in terms of experience and performance. PC gives you the option to blast past that cap, and as a pretty involved gamer at the time this was a revelation.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
PC for the best experience and everything else for exclusives or to play with friends in games that don't have crossplay.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
The unspoken best part about having a PC is when you find out about this great game from 10 years ago, you buy it for $4 and proceed to play it at 4k, 120fps, with modded textures, added SSAO, lightning fast load times and a mod that removes <annoying thing>.

(Almost) infinite backwards compatibility is the best. You stop being part of hype cycles and start enjoying games that keep getting better with hardware and modding age.

This is so true.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Like 90% of my gaming time is spent on PC, everything plays better on it compared to the console releases.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yeah, I really wish I didn't need consoles at all but God of War and Last of Us so what can you do.

In general I prefer console couch gaming experience more but that's the only pro console gaming has. Price is a moot point long term unless you're buying stuff you don't need on pc. PC just has to many pros to ever get me to only consoles again.

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, that been said gaming laptops are my thing. I just gave up in building desktops myself and if I ever decide to get a desktop is gonna be configured on a xoticpc website or through their Amazon storefront lol

I need my DotA 2 fix even if it isn't as good as it used to, my sims, RTSs and VNs

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I cant justify a really hi performance pc when the few heavy games i play look great on console anyhow. So i guess thats a no. But a modest pc is indispensable. Opens up sooooooo many games.

Oct 25, 2017
The question is the other way around.

Consoles are almost useless when you have a good PC, they only exist for the few exclusives I care about.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
100%

PC just has a ton of exclusives that you're not playing on console. At least, not in a timely fashion. Four of OpenCritic's top 12 'Hall of Fame 2020' games are PC only currently.

I play on every console. PC hasn't eliminated any for me. But I'd be missing a ton of the year's best games every single year if I didn't also have a gaming rig at home.

LardHomers

Oct 25, 2017
Was a console-only person my entire life. Getting a good gaming PC in 2016 is the best thing I've ever done as far as gaming is concerned. Wish I did it sooner tbh.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A stopped caring about pc and Xbox in 2000's decade. I don't think I will return to these platforms. PS and switch for next gen, and I will have everything I need.

But in the case I had an Xbox, probably I wouldn't build a pc. Don't know tbh.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019
100% worth it for me.

There is definitely a higher entry cost but, especially in Europe, you save so much money through no paid online and being able to buy cheaper keys at launch lowering game prices to about 45-50 euro vs 70 euro on console (For example I can buy the Avengers game for about 49 euro right now on PC, meanwhile the cheapest PS4 version is 69,99 euro).

With game prices seemingly increasing yet again next gen to 70 dollars/75 euro and PC games seemingly staying the same price, there's gonna be games out there that you can find as low as 45 euro at launch and at most 60 euro that are 75 euro on their console counterpart. It's insane.

Being able to have a stream open on a second monitor or just chatting with friends on Discord or googling something by simply alt tabbing is also such a huge boon.

Last gen I was a 360 and PS3 owner and played evenly between both devices. This gen I own a PS4, Switch and PC and pretty much only use the PS4 and Switch for exclusives and some exceptions and everything else on PC. It's been great.

And I didn't even talk about the increased performance and most importantly framerate.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I got my PS4 and gaming PC in the bedroom, Xbox and Switch in the lounge; feels like a great combo: could drop the Xbox perhaps, in the next gen.

PC is just so necessary for the wow factor games, looks great hooked up to a 4K TV too.