• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I almost universally prefer real wood floors over anything else. Only exception is in high-traffic water or sand, like living near the beach, when tile is preferable.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Carpet and vinyl currently. But I've lived in places with all of them.

All have their pros and cons and depends on the room. I️ like decent carpet though I️ know it isn't in style these days.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
In regards to carpet you don't see dirt buildup it as easily but hoo boy is it annoying with liquid spills (wine you basically need a new carpet) or animal hair.

I prefer waterproofed laminate for the near 0 upkeep (unlike real wood) and easy cleaning.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If you have pets, have kids, or live like a complete slob?

Fuck carpet. FUCK CARPET! JESUS CHRIST FUCK CARPET!

If you don't have pets, kids, and live like an adult?

Carpets for life, bro.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hardwood is very easy to maintain.

The synthetic hardwood is probably the easiest, pergo, etc. Very very durable. The good ones are virtually indestructible. Almost never scratch, easy to clean, just run your Swiffer over it or whatever. Stands up to spills and usually doesn't soak it in. The cheap ones will warp with a lot of water.

Tile actually kinda sucks because of the grout. Your grout will get dirty over time and it's a bitch to clean.

Hardwood is easy to clean and durable but will scratch easily and will wear down over time. Probably need to re-do hardwood once every 20 years, and polish as need be. Hardwood can almost always be sanded and restores by a pro but it's a serious job that costs a few thousand.

Carpet is the hardest to clean. But the benefit is it's cheap and you can put wall to wall anywhere and it looks good and is comfortable to walk on. Also carpet muffles sound. Another benefit is you can easily rip up and replace carpet as your tastes change. Carpet sucks tho. I had a smelly roommate and on hot days years after he moved out his old room would smell like him even after I shampooed the carpet.

Our old house was carpet in the bedrooms, hardwood in the living room, and cheap stick on tile in the kitchen and hall. Stick on tile is horrible. We ripped it up and covered it with laminate hardwood when we opened up the floor plan. We actually covered the original hardwood too because we switched to an open floor plan and it was going to be hard to transition from the fake to the real with an open floor plan throughout the house. We...... I think we switched to laminate hardwood throughout the entire house...... Except the bathroom we did stone tile.

Stone tile with dark grout is easy to clean because it hides grime. But ymmv

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Hardwood + rugs (don't forget to get the pad or whatever too for larger rugs, makes a big difference) > carpet outside of bedrooms, where carpet can be good because I am a dumbass clutz.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Quality engineered hardwood is pretty easy to maintain and looks good. I have Saltillo tile now. Not my favorite but prefer it to concrete or carpet. Gets pretty dirty with kids/dog running around.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Hardwood and vinyl for me. You can always put down a rug if you want a carpet feel. I had tile and didn't like it much because of grout and how cold it got. In our current house we have wood, carpet and vinyl. But pulled up most the carpet for the hardwood underneath.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Hardwood is easy to clean and you don't have to worry about stains the same way you do with carpet. Carpet is the most comfortable to walk on.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Carpet in the rooms, wood like tile everywhere else. Dog has bear hands for feet, and is loud on everything else like laminate but not as bad on hardwood.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anything but carpet. We recently got all laminate flooring in our house and love it. One continuous surface for the whole place (except the bathroom).
if I had unlimited funds I'd get large tiles with floor heating though. I just like tiles.