• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you prefer?

• Xenoblade Chronicles (including Future Connected)

Votes: 636 62.9%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (including Torna)

Votes: 375 37.1%

• Total voters

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to vote in the poll since I'm only about halfway done XBC1 DE right now (Sword Valley) though I'm inclined to say XBC2 as of this moment. Still the idea that the original Xenoblade was released on the Wii with all of this content and giant levels is very impressive. Like, its kind of overwhelming how the game throw a giant levels at you, only to immediately throw another giant level, and then does it again. Back in the day I tried playing the original XBC on the Wii and fell off on the spider boss at first, and then again some time around reaching Colony 6, which I sorta blame on my tiny TV at the time and unwillingness to read everything with the tutorials, though understanding the break and topple system is pretty much required.

With XBC2, I waited like 4 or so months to get it, since I was content with Odyssey, and was able to side step a lot of the pre-patch issues people were having with it. Still, while I really enjoyed XBC2, I still haven't played Torna yet, though maybe when I'm done with the original Xenoblade and Future Connected, I'll get around to it again. Honestly all of this original, is really making me want to replay 2.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is better in every single way to me.

They nailed the classic feel they were going for and the heart and soul they put into it really shines through. XC2 makes me really excited for XC3.

As a long time Xeno fan, XC2 really captured the feel of Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode I and that's what made me love it so much.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I love XC1, but its characters feel so sterile by comparison. Most of your party outside Shulk (which I don't particularly love as the MC), Dunban (the true MC) and Reyn (best bro) are so inconsequential to the overall plot that once their particular story arcs are complete, they more or less are forgotten about until a character they're linked to effects the plot again in some way. Just look at how Sharla and Melia are handled for majority of the game.

XC2's characters feel like actual characters, that not only have their own goals, but each grows and change significantly by the end of their journey.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I love both but after completing them over the past month, I'd have to say XC2 gets my vote, especially if we're including TTGC.

XC1 is better in some areas - I like the more serious tone, the little additions like the collectipedia and the affinity chart for entire cities, and especially the voice acting. But it has pitfalls too - the cast is largely irrelevant outside of Shulk and Seven, the party really only interact during scenes you actively need to grind affinity to see, the combat isn't as engaging as 2, some team members have useless AI, and as much as I like the villain in 1, I think the antagonists in 2 are much more compelling, especially after TTCG.

I also understand the complaints for 2, though. The character designs are obviously not to everyone's taste, Rex's VA in particular is spotty, field skills and gacha are annoying, Tora is terrible compared to the legendary heropon Riki, and there are constant tutorials. But the combat is really good once you unlock all the bits and bobs, there's a much greater amount of variety available, and the party is a much more believable unit, story-wise.

TTCG is the pinnacle of the series, though.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's sort of a tough question as 1 is definitely the more consistent game in terms of quality. There isn't anything like xenoblade 2's chapter 4 to bog down the experience.

That being said, XB2's cast as tropey as they are, are leagues better than XB1 where I honestly don't care about the cast members (except my boy Dunban). I also think the story when it gets serious are better in XB2. I kind of tolerate the combat in both games, so I wouldn't say one is a clear winner over the other.

Overall, XB1 maintains a nice, pretty steady quality throughout. XB2 narratively shoots for the stars, and sometimes reaches them, and other times crashes and burns, but I still appreciate those times where it gets it.

Overall 2 would be my pick.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I absolutely loved heropon riki back in the days.
Now, replaying definitive edition, I'm a little bit disappointed by him, he's kind of useless and absent. I prefer Tora, I find funny the fact they turned the cute mascot into some cute twisted pervert.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outfits: XC1
Cast: XC2 (I like that banter between all of them)
Battle-System: XC2 (1 is like an MMO without the coordinated teamplay you have in Raids, which makes is a bit dull. 2 is waaaay more refined and interactive)
Quests: XC2 (It has more longer side-story quests, which are great for world building)
World-Design: XC1 (tho it lacks on content here and there, I like one single big interconnected world and it has better looking regions)
OST: XC1

It's a tought choice...

NAH Who am I kidding? Vanilla XC2 wins!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally one to argue for XC2's merits when it comes up in discussion, but the game is certainly not without its faults, and I also really do love XC1, having just dropped 95 hours into DE to finish the collectopaedia, Colony 6, and the Superbosses.

Both games do certain things better than the other. XC1 has perhaps the best sense of world building I've seen in a JRPG, the Bionis and Mechonis is just such a cool concept, and the world design does a good job of reminding you of the kind of world you are living in. The game also starts with a bang that gets you hooked almost immediately and motivated to see what happens next. The game is fairly well paced throughout, with story beats building tension as it gets closer to the ending and things go nuts, but also gives you time to breathe and go do side quests. The game isn't perfect through (no game is), and the side quests almost always amount to "go collect x number of thing" or "kill x monster", and a lot of the times they have good storylines attached to them, but there's just so many with so much dialogue, that you end up mashing A instead of actually reading them most of the time. I also think a lot of the characters are cool conceptually, but often come across really awkwardly when they interact with one another. Like, why does everyone develop an interest in Shulk's love life in the middle of the game? Dunban, I get it, Sulk and your sister is your OTP, and Melia, don't you have other things to be worried about at this particular moment? And why is it any of your business, Sharla? And how many times does this exchange happen: Shulk sees a bad vision. "What is it?" says Reyn, clearly noticing Shulk is panicked. "It's...nothing" Shulk says. Bad thing starts happening. "Shulk man, You've got to TELL US when something is bothering you!" Reyn says. "Okay, I will from now on" Shulk says. And then he just never learns!

Having just restarted playing 2 after having finished 1, I do immediately notice a few differences, some due to being designed for better hardware, some artistic. While XC1 starts with action and mystery, XC2 has this kind of mixture of optimism and melancholy. It doesn't awe in the same way, but it does do a good job of characterizing Rex. The combat also feels a lot weightier and slower than XC1, but by the time I had blades and party members, I remembered why I really liked it. There's a lot to keep track of when building up combos, and pulling it off feels really satisfying. The animations and models are also noticeably better off the bat, even compared to DE. The nopon (who are huge in this game after having gotten used to XC1 again) have actually rendered faces instead of textures (Heropon Riki was done dirty). The animations are really nice too, especially in the action scenes. And yeah, some of the character designs for the blades range from eye brow raising to "what were they thinking?" I actually really like Pyra's concept art design, but the 3D modelers seemed to have exaggerated the hell out of her chest, and some of the optional blades are pretty yikes. Having said that, there's also some amazingly designed characters, which I guess is what happens when you have multiple guest artists involved.

When I first played XC2, I remember my thoughts were something like this. "I'm enjoying this game, it's really fun, but XC1 is a classic, and I don't think this can possibly top it." I remember think this right up to Chapter 7. But Chapter 7 is where XC2 really begins its march to the endgame, and its where I became enraptured with the story and characters in a way that even passed my experience with 1. The characters had all really began to grow on me, and here they just keep getting great moments. I just felt there was so much at stake, and not just for the heroes, but the villains (who are more complex then their XC1 counterparts, who range from "I did what I had to" to cacklingly evil). And everything from chapter 10 onwards is just ridiculously impactful. The game gets philosophical in a way the previous game hadn't, the backstory is given so much more depth and complexity, and the heavy emotional moments feel so heavy. The story climax hits me like a truck even 2 years later.

So while I think XC1 is the more consistent game, it just never reaches the highs for me that XC2 does in terms of combat, story, and characters, though it certainly has the trophy for world building. Both games are excellent and do things extremely well, but at the end of the day, XC2 just stands out to me more.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The first game has a better story and characters but 2 has a much better battle system. Although 2 also has alot of annoying things in it, the blades seem like they were designed to be a mobile game feature and having to constantantly navigate dozens of blades in the menu and opening up the dumb lootboxes is very time consuming and annoying, and you have to have the right blade equipped for field skills instead of just having them on the bench. 2 also has some especially egregious character designs that take you out of the story and make it hard to take it seriously.

With all that being said, the combat is by far the most important part of a JRPG, and XB1s combat is just not very good, 2 is a massive improvement so overall i'd pick 2. Both are very good.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I love XC1 with all my heart, but just couldn't get into XC2. Way too convoluted and overcomplicated (from systems to UI), the entire Blade system left me scratching my head and I didn't want to deal with it at all, tutorial after tutorial even 10 hours in...really wanted to like it and even started it a second time after dropping it initially, but couldn't enjoy it at all.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Xenoblade 1 has a great story. 2's story goes completely off the rails. Voice acting and direction is better in 1. 2's combat is fun, but I felt like it was overly complex. 2's field skill system is annoying.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Easily 1, which was a fantastic game and one of my favourite rpgs.

I didn't even like 2 enough to finish it, mainly due to the cast which were filled with some of the most awful tropey characters I've ever seen in gaming. They were Star Ocean 4 levels of terrible.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've only finished 2 and am about 75% through 1. It is a wierd mix of good/bad for each but I think 1 is better for what I've played so far. I can't really stand the gameplay of either (2 less so for just being bullshit layered on top of bullshit) but enjoy the world and environments of 1 way more.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 1 is nice but after playing 2 and its refined gameplay, it was really hard to play 1 again with DE. Launches and Smashes were so fun.
I'm actually hyped for 3 because they improved a lot.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
XC2 has several problems and is a lot rougher around the edges than XC1, but I still find myself prefering it to XC1. In particular, I find the characters, music, and battle system more engaging than the first game's, while the first game has a more unevenly paced but better overall story and better exploration due to XC2's field skills.

XC2 > XC1 > XCX (I like all three Xenoblade games) > Torna > FC

id.

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 1 by a huge margin for me. It's really hard for me to place my finger on exactly what I didn't like about XBC2, but I did not have an enjoyable time with the game. I think it was just a combination of terrible shit that made me hate it. The graphics felt flat, in that large areas didn't "feel" large at all. I think the combat system was needlessly complicated . Field skills were terrible. The gacha system was such a bad idea to me. Handheld was awful.

For me it goes XBC1>>>>XBC2

If we're including all of the Xeno- games I would have it go like this:

Xenogears>XBC1>Xenosaga3>XBX>Xenosaga1>Xenosaga2>>>XBC2

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
1's got the better cast and the way it presents its story is a lot better too. the moment-to-moment in 1 makes sense given the context of everything going on. it lulls you into a false sense of security, thinking that, at the 40 hour mark, you probably are getting a straightforward story. and then it starts to slowly reveal twist after twist that recontextualizes the entire adventure. and it feels planned and moments feel earned.

1 also has mechonis fields, my absolute favorite track of any xenogame.

2 has higher highs. chapters 8-10 are my favorite of any xenogame, even though rex is rex and the cast can be annoying. chapter 4 plain sucks and it drags the flow down, but once it gets going, i was more invested in what happened to the rex crew.

2 is also trying to appeal to mobile gamers which works against the appeal of the gameplay. the blade quests are fun though, and a lot better than most things in 1. and the gameplay is all-around a lot more engaging than 1's break-topple-daze system and its fairly simple chain attack system.

1 is a great game, without much in the ways of obvious flaws. it's solid throughout. having played it again, i found myself not as into the story as i was in 2, and not as engaged with the gameplay either. 2 is more of a mixed bag, but it's also more exciting.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I have a really hard time choosing, honestly. They both have things in them that I prefer, but they similarly are both mired in time wasting nonsense.

Ultimagely I have a hard time recommending either because I feel like you waste so many hours on complete time wasters on your way through the game. Not like, side quests, but the literal thousands of times you interact with things and lose five-ten seconds.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm not gonna go in depth into it, as I've already done so many times, but Xenoblade 1 is a great game while Xenoblade 2 is problematic trash with only one redeemable quality (the OST)

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really, really couldn't get myself to love XB1 no matter how much I wanted to. The game falls short in too many aspects for me.

Also we always have this thread, XB2 is irredeemable trash, yada yada.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Speaking as someone who has played on the release day (almost) everything Takahashi and co. have created, I'd say this is a Persona 3 vs Persona 4 situation.

XC1 has Shulk obviously, who is superior to Rex.
XC1 has a better idea of a setting than XC2 (tho XCX is probably my fav) but I'd say XC2 has a slightly better execution of said setting.
I enjoyed the cast of XC2 much more than XC1 - I really loved Morag and Zeke and Nia.
XC1 has a better story when I am trying to be objective, but XC2 has resonated with me more. I am also a sucker of XC2's anti-nihilistic themes.
I enjoyed the gameplay of 2 MUCH more than 1. In fact, playing XC1DE this year was a major disappointment for me. It's a very empty game.
OSTs are pretty much on par. Not much can beat the Siren waking up to the tunes of "Counterattack" tho ;)
Visuals are always controversial in Monolith's games. It took them three Xenosagas to set on something that looks good. XC1 is stronger than XC2 in terms of designs but XCX shits all over them both.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
XB1DE is the GOAT. Haven't even played Future Connected yet.

XB2 is great and Torna possibly even better, but it has a few too many issues, like the Gacha and Field Skill system.

XBX has a beautiful world but plays like shit.
It's the only one I never finished.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Xenoblade 1 is probably my favorite RPG of all time

• The world and exploration are better
  • I prefer the story and characters more than 2
  • The voice acting is sooo much better in 1
  • Less cliche anime bullshit and fanservice in 1
  • THE FUCKING FIELD SKILLS AND GACH SYSTEM
The only thing that 2 has over 1 is the battle system, but enemies have so much fucking health that it just becomes a slog.

The music is amazing 2 but 1 has even more amazing tracks: Eryth Sea, Mechonis Field, Valak Mountain, Satorl Marsh, Mechanical Rhythm, etc.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
I kind of hated 2 at the beginning but learned to love it despite the rough edges, and Torna is an improvement on the base while also having some shortcomings

I expected to love DE but never expected that playing it made me miss 2 and appreaciate it more. While the scope of the world is bigger is also pretty empty, but Bionis Shoulder is probably the best map of the series. I liked both battle systems but I prefer the more rhytmic flow of 2/Torna.

I lile both casts but 2 resonatee wity me more, and the villains were also better.

I like both OST equally but I kind of prefer the more atmospheric tone of 1 over 2 more adventurous sound

So yeah 2 > 1 but if it was an option I would have chose X over both

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
1 for sure, but 2 does have its own strong points.

The gatcha stuff alongside the forced sidequest gates on Torna pull the entire thing way down for me. I thought that overall the writing was better in 1 as well.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
For me XC1 and XCX are both masterpieces. XC2 is something else. I don't hate it but I also don't like it very much. I've been trying to finish it since 2017 and always get tired of its bullshit combat and shonen antics.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Torna should have it's own option. The combat alone is better than all the Xenoblade games combined. Nearly perfection.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
I am also a sucker of XC2's anti-nihilistic themes.

This is a major reason why I greatly prefer and love XC2 and, actually, funnily enough, why I think Rex is a much better protagonist than Shulk, who I found quite dull. Probably my least favourite cutscene in the first game, which is emblematic of why I didn't care about him, is when Dickson, the second worst villain of that game after Lorithia, is killed by the party and Shulk, maddingly, cries over this of all things, the only time we see him do so in the entire game, because of a connection that's mentioned a couple of times but which is totally unbelievable because the game never actually shows you them being close once. Dreadful stuff.

In contrast to this, I remember when I was playing XC2 ahead of a close friend of mine I was filling him in on what I thought about it as I played and one thing I really started emphasising from the end of Chapter 3 onwards in particular was that I found Rex to be a really refreshing lead character due to his very believable, emotional reactions to a number of terrible things that happen throughout the game and this self-doubt which comes into conflict with his optimism, things which - when you throw the other well-developed characters into the mix, including the antagonists themselves - really added to the themes of the game, especially in the context of the game's setting.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The first by a huuuuuge amount but even going back to the original it's not as good as I remember it as there's a few key issues like how bad the side quests are stopping it from being great.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
After replaying DE, although I still love it and would count it as one of the best RPGs ever, I think I give the slight edge to 2 thanks to the characters. World, music and gameplay I'd put them both as equal. Two had much better designs than 1 but the DE thankfully improves that.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Xenoblade 2 battle system is vastly better (especially Torna). I also prefer the story and characters.

but I do think Xenoblade 1 is a great too.

Abysmal

Oct 27, 2017
I never really see anyone talk about that cave next to Rex's village in 2. I don't know if I missed some mechanic but that was one of the most frustrating times I had with a game in recent memory.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm only like 4 hours into 2 and I'm having just as good of a time with it as I did DE at the start. Honestly probably even more fun because it starts so quickly even compared to DE.

My only real complaints so far is the voice acting is a little wonky at times (Rex's battle cry yell is one of the worst I've ever heard).

The characters act and look far more anime than anyone did in DE, which I hate. *stares at Pyra*

And lastly the character design. Few hours in and you can clearly see the problem with allowing a bunch of artists do whatever the fuck they want with their designs. The Nomura designs don't come close to looking like characters from the same world as Rex, Nia, and Pyra. What's funny is Nomuras characters look great! They just don't fit because no one told any of the artists to create cohesive characters. No aesthetic cohesion in the slightest.

Besides that I really like the music so far, the little story and the combat just as much.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
The (Including DLC) thing really doesn't make much sense to me personally because Xenoblade 1's "DLC" expansion came almost 10 years after its release while Torna was planned from the start. Honestly, Torna to me is an entirely different game that fixes the majority of the things I disliked about Xenoblade 2 and easily comes in 2nd place in terms of my favorite Xenoblade game, while 2 itself probably comes last.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Maan, I really wanna play one of the Xenoblade games, as I've been hankering for a good JRPG since I finished Zodiac Age, but after reading all the divisive opinions I can't decide whether to jump in or not. Not sure I wanna pay full price and invest 80 hours in a game I might not enjoy. They both look cool, but they also both look bad in their own way too. Maybe I'll just try Octopath instead.