• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I usually do Fresh Direct (an NYC area grocery delivery service) or Amazon Fresh, but those are completely booked obviously. I'm also in a COVID19 hotspot.

I got a tip from a friend to order some food from a restaurant food supplier. I got my shipment the next day. This supplier opened up their stock to non-professionals since the restaurants here are closed for diners--take out and delivery only.

I enjoy cooking but it's really nice to have more time and convenience (holed up at home) to cook more. Maybe we can also share some ideas as well.

Most of the meals have been:
  • Eggs and potatoes/sweet potatoes. My go-to breakfast.
  • Chicken, rice, and veggies
  • Pasta and red sauce
  • Tuna fish sandwiches
  • Rice and Lentils
  • And lots of tea and sparkling water
Snacks are usually Greek yogurt with nuts or just a piece of fruit.

I've also been supporting some of my local restaurants as they are obviously hurting. So I've been ordering out on weekends, mostly Mexican fare from a local spot--Al Pastor Tortas, tacos, and so on.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
We're still allowed outside luckily so we can continue doing grocery shopping and eat like usual.

I had a Guinness Beef Stew yesterday and it was delicious.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's crazy that a lot of people don't even cook for themselves, like ever. Maybe their work doesn't allow them too but good luck to every one!

Made a beef stew at the beginning of last week in a crock pot. Veggie chili. Veggie omelet yesterday morning with asparagus, red pepper, onion, cheese, and garlic.

Threw in a frozen deep dish diagornos pizza the other day. Pringles. Granola with strawberry blueberry and vanilla yogurt. Granola bars.

Roast beef and turkey sandwich. Made twice baked potatoes with steak last night which will probably be the last meat for awhile.

Planning on making bread soon. Plenty of water too!

Experimenting is the key! If it tastes bad oh well at least you made it :)

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I made sirloin on the hibachi grill last night, added a garlic butter glaze that was great
Red beans and rice with andouille was really good

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I made a bowl of pasta and meat balls and have been slowly eating my way through it. I have tons of frozen chicken and vegetables for meals later this week, along with mac & cheese, various cans of soups, ramen, eggs, and oatmeal with frozen fruit.

Realistically I'm doing the same things I normally do, I just am buying less fresh and more frozen/canned so the food stays longer.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
eggs, pasta and rice are the main 3. lots of veggies.

nothing has really changed, always did my own cooking.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I love watching Bon Appetite videos so I've been cooking simple recipes like that Pasta/Chickpea one lately. Aside from that, just basic stuff really but UberEats and Deliveroo have been bombarding me with deals and coupons ha. Saved those for the weekends.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i'm living with my italian in-laws while my house gets renovated (which now will take maybe forever). before this went nuts, my mother brought over a ton of home cooking (south indian curry) and we stocked up the freezer here.

my mother-in-law made sunday sauce yesterday... i could get used to that.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Wish it wasnt so tough to go to the grocery store because I cant exactly go every other day for perishables like I used to, so I'm making more pasta stuff and eating out of boxes:/

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We do left overs for lunch most of the time. This week we are doing the following.:

Insta Pot Orange Chicken
Kebabs
Slow cooker pulled chicken
lemon garlic pasta

Hard Boil some eggs. If you have a Insta Pot, a cup of water and 7 minutes on pressure cook is all you need. This Cornbread Chicken Casserole is super easy. If you have raw chicken boil it until it's cooked through. Let rest and season with salt pepper and paprika after shredding. Then follow the recipe.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i live right next to the biggest supermarket within 50 miles or something so i'll eat whatever i want heh. its basically fully stocked 24/7.

yesterday me and the gf made delicious pizza. she makes this amazing oily garlic dip to spread on top of a slice... SOO good.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
We've done lasagna, sausage ragu, cheese and onion toasties, curry (tried sauce from a jar - never again), peppers stuffed with cous cous and halloumi, sous vide teriyaki style salmon with thai 'papaya' salad (cheated with swede, works well), baked potatoes, apple crumble (not exactly a meal but w/e)...

Breakfasts have been muesli, with raisins and a sliced banana. Honestly, we've been eating better since working from home.

Running low on fresh ingredients now, so attacking the soups and other leftovers in the freezer before doing another big shop

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've been cooking all sorts of things. There's plenty of food at the super market if you aren't married to the basic staples. We had Beyond burgers last night. Night before that I made a fish curry that was really good. I slow cooked a flank steak in the sous vide and got two meals out of it, steak tacos and bbq beef sandwiches.

There isn't much else to do to add variety into life right now, so I'm really trying to deliver it in the kitchen, and it's been something to look forwards to. So far my wife has been really happy with everything new I've put down in front of her. I'm sure there'll be some misses, but yeah, so far so good!

Being able to transform cheap cuts of meat into something more than palatable with the sous vide is a great tool to have in the tool kit when everyone else is buying chicken breast and ground beef.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I made Beyond Beef sloppy joes last week and they were very good. My wife wanted BBQ chicken, so we slow cooked some chicken in vinegar and other dressings/sauces, drained it, then added BBQ to it. Got that for this week. Otherwise, breakfast has been oatmeal and yogurt mainly, and lunches are a mix of random leftovers or PB sandwiches plus some sides.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Made a huge pot of turkey bolognese last week and froze most of it - thankfully it turned out really well!

I've also been working through most of the stuff in my fridge while making limited use of what's in my freezer and cupboards - for example I had a ton of leftover potatoes along with some eggs and ham that needed used, so I fried them up in oil with some herbs.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of cereal, some tuna salad sandwiches. Trying to avoid dipping into my reserves until supermarkets are a bit less overwhelmed and replenishing won't be as much of an issue. I've been getting delivery on occasion too, i just make sure to order a ton of food when i do and eat it for multiple days.

I made sirloin on the hibachi grill last night, added a garlic butter glaze that was great
Red beans and rice with andouille was really good

Goodness, can I come self-isolate with you?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
i'm living with my italian in-laws while my house gets renovated (which now will take maybe forever). before this went nuts, my mother brought over a ton of home cooking (south indian curry) and we stocked up the freezer here.

Sunday sauce is pretty good.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I've been cooking all sorts of things. There's plenty of food at the super market if you aren't married to the basic staples. We had Beyond burgers last night. Night before that I made a fish curry that was really good. I slow cooked a flank steak in the sous vide and got two meals out of it, steak tacos and bbq beef sandwiches.

There isn't much else to do to add variety into life right now, so I'm really trying to deliver it in the kitchen, and it's been something to look forwards to. So far my wife has been really happy with everything new I've put down in front of her. I'm sure there'll be some misses, but yeah, so far so good!

Being able to transform cheap cuts of meat into something more than palatable with the sous vide is a great tool to have in the tool kit when everyone else is buying chicken breast and ground beef.
Having a sous vide and an instant pot has been awesome, agreed.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Wife has a home-cooked meal (or the occasional frozen pizza if she's been busy or running late on dinner) waiting for me when I get home from work (I work in an office and there's literally only three of us here and all in different personal offices...one of those coworkers is actually in a different suite entirely). We've been getting the usual food deliveries and given our location, it was never that popular so most people don't even know it's a thing even now, so supply hasn't been an issue just yet...we'll see as things extend over the next few weeks/months.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Breaded steak with raw onion and feta cheese with a side of sourdough bread and cherry tomatoes

Sarma and sarmice

Lamb gulaš

Ćevapčići

Cordon bleu with stewed carrots

Homemade pizza

All I'll ever need

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Coupla highlights:
  • Steak au poivre (managed to get some tenderloin from Target last week)
  • Fresh Thai Basil + pistachio pesto (using basil from my hydroponic garden)
  • Grilled cheese/melt (swiss + salami) and tomato soup
  • Waffles! Remembered I had a waffle maker this weekend.
  • Chocolate chip cookies made with chunks of chocolate (which reminds me, they are right there and I can go eat some...)
Oh, and lots and lots of brussels sprouts, pan fried. Been pretty good to me overall. As time goes on it'll get more boring, but I have enough fresh veggies and such to eat well into next week.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Grocery stores were barren when my wife and I went a couple weeks ago, so it was whatever we could find. The only meat available was organic chicken, so we made chicken teriyaki with microwavable rice (only rice we could find), and chicken noodle soup with noodles we've had sitting around since pasta was nowhere to be found. Other than that, frozen dinners since they were readily available.

Last week we had a bit more luck. We actually found some ground meat, so we'll be making tacos and have some extra for another dinner. Grabbed some salmon, made a salad, got a pork loin for BBQ pork, and some flatbread pizza crust to cook with feta, basil, tomato, and mozzarella. Tuna fish actually sounds pretty good right now, so I'll put that on the list for our next grocery run.

Now that my hours have shifted to decrease our footprint, I get out of work at 2 and we go shopping in the middle of the day with less crowds.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Made rotisserie chicken last night. Had various Korean beefs the past week. Been eating those with rice, beans and salad.

I'm going to make potato salad and lentil soup today to mix and match with protein for the coming week.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a university dorm and they bring meals to my door since I'm in self isolation (had a sore throat last week).

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprisingly eating/cooking MUCH better than I was doing before, since it's not possible to go out to buy sweets at the corner store (well, technically I could but I shouldn't) neither I'm going out for takeout or ordering delivery since it would be extremely irresponsible.

Since I work from home and don't like spending much time doing lunch I'm mostly doing rice/pasta with stuff I have at home, chickpea salads, grilled chicken/turkey/burger patties with green beans, sandwiches... then some days I do something a little bit more fancy.

I also have a rice cooker that makes congee which is an Asian rice soup where the rice is almost disintegrated and it's a great spoon dish, since it admits any kind of meat when cooking and mostly any vegetable topping that you can prepare 5 minutes before it's finished.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've had a bunch of stuff in the freezer for a long time and have been slowly making my way through that. Last night I made my wife's abuela's recipes for arroz con pollo and Cuban black beans. I can't get chicken anywhere right now, but I had some wings in the freezer so I used those.

It's crazy that a lot of people don't even cook for themselves, like ever.
The owner of a well-established group of restaurants here in Indy had a Twitter thread last week about how they are shifting to setting up food kitchens for people right now, but he also shared a stat that restaurants served <30% of people's meals when he started in the late 80s, but now that figure is up to 70%. That blows my mind.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Our eating habits haven't changed. We make big pots of vegetable soups and curries along with beans and rice dishes. We did make some fancier alfredo pasta yesterday for my wife's birthday, I suppose. For breakfast we eat cereal with nuts and lunches are usually eggs, cheese, and some sort of bread/tortilla along with a fruit like apple.

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
I live in Australia so I am fortunate that fruit, vegetables, assorted meat ranges, eggs, milk & cheese are generally in stock whenever we visit the grocer nowadays. I think a fortnight ago eggs were completely gone and you had to cherry pick meat ranges where required, but it's been replenished when we visited for minor things on Saturday due to appropriate shopping limits to stop hoarding panic buys.

My wife went through SARS in Singapore during her youth so its her continual habit to buy substantial amounts of low-perishable foods every now and then.. we've had a continual surplus of rice, pasta & canned vegetables for years. She is also vegetarian and all meals consumed at home are cooked as such which I highly recommend - they last longer (both fresh & cooked) and fruit & veg is constantly in stock if your country has a strong agriculture industry. She also completed a commercial patisserie course several years ago so we've been eating home-baked sourdough bread every weekend from her own starter yeast; it sounds Greek/Roman but even half a loaf eaten with sundried tomatoes & green olives with a bit of olive oil & balsamic vinegar surprisingly sustains the body the whole day.

It's a natural food life-cycle which can sound complicated but it works if the industry is there to support it.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I got a few refrigerator pepperoni flatbread pizzas from Lidl right after things went sideways.

Last night I cooked one, but added bacon bits, sliced green olives, and blue cheese crumbles on top. Was absolutely delicious. Ate it with some pepperoncini peppers.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's baking bread so we don't have to go out and buy it as much. It's been a hobby for a while, just doing it more often.

I smoked some ribs on the BBQ yesterday. Gonna try and do that as it gets warmer.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No changes to my habits. I cook a large batch of something and ear it over a few days then cook something else.

Lasagna, stew, pasta, risotto, noodles, chilli soup... whatever I fancy.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Made this pork belly last night with baby potatoes and green beans.

u9wIEFG.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Last week was:

- tacos
- corned beef and cabbage (st. Patrick's day)
- mac and cheese
- chili
- jambalaya
- roast chicken

This week will be:

- stew
- pasta and maybe meatballs
- some dish with chicken thighs
- pierogies

Also did takeout a couple of times. Breakfast and lunch are basic stuff or leftovers.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
GF and I get HelloFresh dinners 3 nights a week (we are thinking of upping that to 4), but on the off nights, we'll make grilled chicken and veggies, soups, pasta, sandwiches, etc.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Have a freezer full of homemade pork and leek dumplings. throw em in my bamboo steamer and eat em up with some soy sauce / vinegar /sesame oil

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I drink tea like crazy for some reason, but I also noticed myself eating more snacks. I usually only do that during weekends.

Other than, for dinner I eat a lot of chicken or fish like salmon/tuna with rice/couscous/bulgur or pasta. Whatever I cook, always sprinkle the shit out of it with chili. Sauce only done on water and spices. Fatter sauces goes on weekends.

Deleted member 61909

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
i usually eat chicken with broccoli/cauliflower\carrots for dinner but that's gonna end soon since I cant find a store with chicken in stock. But not like, ive been mostly eating like crap all week with chips, frozen pizza, ice cream. At least I have been under my calorie goal, but still junk food.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
We stocked up well before the grocery stores started to get cleaned out of stuff, so housemate has been making lots of yummy meals, as usual. Shrimp étouffée and shrimp cakes, lasagna bechemel, Southwestern chicken tacos, heirloom tomato bisque, etc..

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Made this over the weekend, should last two weeks of dinners.

www.bettycrocker.com

Texas Chili Pasta Bake

It'll be easy to round up your crew come dinnertime when this hearty casserole is on the table. Mix it up with the variation below and enjoy it your way.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
This thread's making me hungry.

As for me, a fair amount of breakfast foods here so far: scones (orange vanilla and chocolate chip) and two loaves of banana bread. Going to continue the baking with cookies sometime this week. Used the leftover heavy cream from the scones to make a romano cream sauce for linguine; it worked out well. Have also made mustard tuna salad and beef stir fry, though not much else too exciting. Tonight's main dish will be kielbasa with carrots, onions, and red pepper.

Wish we had some potatoes, tortillas, and (more) rice here. Maybe on our next shopping trip, though that might not be for awhile.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The same as always... chicken, pasta, rice, beans.

Ordered pizza this weekend.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I've made chili, bolognese, some penne with a spicy sausage and roasted red pepper cream sauce, and meatloaf. I've got some chicken thighs I'm going to marinate tonight.

Other than that, I've been eating whatever fruit looks good at the grocery store when I go. Mostly plums, pears, apples, mandarins, and berries.

I've also been snacking on jerky and spiced nuts. And stress eating some chocolate if I'm being honest.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I've still been getting takeout like normal but have been eating gumbo, soup, and the random other stuff I have in my freezer.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I made the best Tandoori curry the other day. So easy and dilicious!

Fried some chicken thighs in a pan. Just enough to give them some colour and then put them aside in a dish.
In the chicken juices I fried 1 large onion (sliced) and 1 stick of celery (chopped) until they were soft.

I then put the veggies and any leftover juices in the blender with:
Cremefraiche (300-400ml)
Soy sauce (1tbsp)
Ground pepper
Paprika (1tsp)
1 bell pepper which I had scorched with a flamethrower (chopped)
2 small dried chilis (use 1 tbsp of shiracha alternatively)
1 large clove of garlich
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1.5 tbsp of red tandoori spice

I blitzed it until totally smooth. Taste it to see if it needs more soy. Then poured it in the tray with the chicken. Gave it 45 minutes in an oven preheated to 200 degrees celsius. Halfway through I took it out of the oven and give the sauce a stir, put some of it onto the thighs so they would not burn the skin and also to develop a nice baked tandoori crust by the end and then put the tray back in.

It tasted divine. Serve with rice, noodles or pasta. Naan bread to dip in the sauce would probably also work well. If you have some chutney serve that as well.

Don't take the measurements as gospel. I didn't measure any of it so this is just a rough approximations of the quantities used. Don't have chicken thighs? Use chicken drumsticks. Or pieces of lamb.

Can't link to a recipe. I invented this one :-)

49691461746_4fc68a8cdc_k.jpg

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

You're getting authentic Indian and Italian at home?? :O

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

you mean gravy

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
My humble Tuesday dinner.
49694586928_268fad01ab_k.jpg

Hanger steak seared in the pan with olive oil, butter, thyme, and garlich. It was then rested for ten minutes under tinfoil while i fried finely chopped mushrooms in the pan. When they had gotten some colour, I added a dollop of cremefraiche and a tablespoon of dijon mustard and some ground pepper.

The little glass bowl contains soy sauce which I used to dip the meat in.

It tasted excellent.