• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the early 90's it wasnt uncommon for some friend to just lie to you with that line in order to sell you some bullshit videogame rumor

I assume for those of you who where 10 in 2010 (omg) there must have been some particular brand of this, help a fossil from the 90's feel in touch with the hip crowd! (lolsigh)

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
A kid that I once knew in school claimed their parent worked at Cartoon Network and was the cause for creating their Live-Action block.

EDIT: As far as video games go, it was always the "My parents work at Nintendo/Sega/Sony" type of deal.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There was a kid that lived around the corner from my family that was friends with my brother. He had all kinds of crazy rumors back then along the lines of Sheng Long or how to see Sonya naked in Mortal Kombat.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
A kid once told me their uncle was and I quote an "Artist at EA Star Wars "

like pffft...OKAY THERE

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone in school claimed to have a "Gone in 60 Seconds" N64 game.

It really stuck with me and I still think about what it would have been like sometimes.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Well I actually had a Japanese friend that got consoles before anyone else because at that time consoles released first in Japan and his family always sent him all the new tech at that time.
So I was the kid that used to say "I have a Japanese friend and I already played the N64/Saturn/Dreamcast at his house" and the others won't believe me lol

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
My brother told me that Mario, Luigi and Yoshi were all legendary Pokemon species and my dumbass completely believed him.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't work for Nintendo in the 90s, but I did work for Acclaim/LJN Entertainment and we made Nintendo games. Does that count?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
With how ubiquitous the internet has been since the early 2000s and smartphones since ~2010ish, the playground rumor stuff just doesn't work when you can easily Google it. Especially when 4-5th graders/middle schoolers all get cell phones nowadays and can ask for the kid's uncle name and LinkedIn profile to prove they work at Nintendo lol...

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Anon developer leaking photoshopped material, some comically rooted in fan wank and others that are frighteningly convincing

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I had a friend that was known for lying in the stupidest ways claim that Nintendo was making a game where you could walk all around Madrid (where I'm from).
This was during right about the time when GTA 3 released. He literally claimed his actual uncle worked on the game and it would release that same year.

My friends and I just kept messing with him after that, with how ridiculous even the concept of Nintendo making some representation of Madrid, of all places, was.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I never knew anyone that claimed to have the inside track on rumors/leaks for unreleased games. That being said, when we were younger, a LOT of us talked shit about secrets in games (myself included). There was a lot of false info floating around.

There was a kid that lived around the corner from my family that was friends with my brother. He had all kinds of crazy rumors back then along the lines of Sheng Long or how to see Sonya naked in Mortal Kombat.

This was the kind of shit that people would lie about at my elementary school as well. I remember one kid telling us about how there were "sexualities" in Mortal Kombat; these were, of course, fatalities that were sexually explicit.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
For me, it was a lot of "Oh that game is already out in Japan".

Dude, I don't think Halo 2 was out in Japan a few months after it was announced lol.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Supercheats.com was the be-all & end-all of cheat codes in the late 90s at my school (in Australia). The problem was that the user-submitted codes were very prominent so for young kids who couldn't discern the difference everything was reasonable. I still remember being amazed that a user named "Anon" somehow managed to know cheats for EVERY game.

From these user-generated cheats we found such gems as "get Goku in Smash Bros", doing things like removing controllers from consoles at certain points, and more. I think my favourite fake cheats were the ones for the Bandai Digimon devices where it had you removing the broken cage plastic from the screen and putting it into your CD drive to scan it hahahaha. I may have lost two pieces of plastic into the family computer by doing so.

Supercheats, despite it's weirdness, was super reputable because all kids knew about it. Kids would come to school claiming things that they read on Supercheats and simply because it was easily verified as not being a lie made up by the kid it was a whole lot better than "my uncle works for Nintendo".

Good times :')

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't work for Nintendo in the 90s, but I did work for Acclaim/LJN Entertainment and we made Nintendo games. Does that count?
giphy.gif

tell us more

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
"I got that game in *insert x foreign country*".

A kid once really, really tried to argue that he had Super Smash Bros. for his Gameboy Advance because it was a thing in India.

The funny thing I'm sure some of them were true, but they just had some weird ass bootleg game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For kids these days, at least in the internet spaces I frequent, it's all these crazy fake rumors and leaks and straight up cults built around long-standing "leakers."

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"I got that game in *insert x foreign country*".

A kid once really, really tried to argue that he had Super Smash Bros. for his Gameboy Advance because it was a thing in India.

The funny thing I'm sure some of them were true, but they just had some weird ass bootleg game.
There was that Speedy Gonzalez game that got rom hacked into a Sonic game on Game Boy that was actually sold as a bootleg.

Jag, the uncle who actually worked at LJN/Acclaim

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Oh boy. Funny thing is while I was a gamer in the 80s, I was still a pure PC gamer when I took the job (Vic20/C-64/Apple, x86, etc).

Answered a blind ad in my local newspaper right out of college so I had no idea the company. Couldn't get a job. Was selling dishes for an MLM at the time (dont ask). Acclaim had just gone public and the parking lot was fully of fancy sports cars. Got an entry level job in the finance department dealing with companies that wanted product. Some of the big ones I remember like Mortal Combat, Simpsons, Double Dragon, I remember dealing with Mega Man but I don't think we made it.

The very attractive head of investor relations took me to the warehouse and gave me an NES system and a massive box of cartridges and said I needed to become familiar with our games and the competitor games. So I did play some stuff, but remained a PC snob (sorry). Ended up dating that investment girl a few month later. She was 30 and I was 22 and living at home. lol. Being in finance I didn't get to go to CES or do much on the gaming end.

Some of our games were really shit, but it was all about licensing big names and churning it out. The licensing part was actually really interesting to me and I wanted in on that. More on that later.

Being a computer nerd at heart I started helping other employees with their computer issues and problems which were basically networked Apple computers at that time. About 8 months in, the girl I was dating talked me up to the bosses Greg Fishbach and Jim Scoroposki and floated the idea to have me trained externally and take over the IT department which was run by a kid a few years older than me, but really incompetent. Problem was I was already applying to law school to try and get in on the licensing side.

So I had a choice. Law school or IT?? This was really pre-internet and dot coms, so I honestly thought the future of IT was fixing broken PCs and local networking issues (I really had no clue). So I quit to go to law school. The girl wanted to get really serious, but I was starting another 3 years of school and school loans. Ended it with her at the start and later met my (now) wife in law school at the end of our first year.

Postscript: Graduated law school and worked for a big real estate company in NYC. Didn't get that licensing job. HOWEVER, Acclaim was struggling and a new company called GT Interactive (formerly Goodtimes Home Video) had taken on a bunch of ex-Acclaim employees. Turns out the GT office was right across the street from my office on 5th Ave AND my ex now worked for them (we stayed on good terms). She got me an interview with the General Counsel who need help...in licensing!! My dream job. PC Gaming! Licensing! So I go to the interview and he asks me if I've heard about first person shooters and multiplayer gaming because he was working on something which was going to be really big. Turns out it was UNREAL. I knew enough about it to discuss, but then he threw me a curveball and asked some really technical licensing questions. I tried to BS it but I knew I was sunk. This was NYC. He could pick big firm licensing lawyers by the dozen. I was done. I ended up doing well, but never worked in gaming again.

tl;dr worked for Acclaim in finance out of college. Got offered a job running their IT. Quit for law school. 5 or 6 years later had a shot at a dream job for GT Interactive and fucked up the interview. Happily running a legal dept for a big company in FL now.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you work on Terminator 2 for NES or Gameboy? Those were actually some of my favorite licensed games, back in the day. Especially the circuit rewiring minigame in T2 Gameboy.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"I own a special GTA SA disc that makes me invincible"

Bro it's just a cheat code

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Did you work on Terminator 2 for NES or Gameboy? Those were actually some of my favorite licensed games, back in the day. Especially the circuit rewiring minigame in T2 Gameboy.

See above. I didn't work in the sexy gaming part. It was the boring entry level finance side.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

This one was always followed by some crazy things you had to do to trigger it, but it was made "believable" because the Reptile fight turned out to be real. And it required you to go through a bunch of steps that sound like something someone would just make up.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Besides kids having uncles that worked on Nintendo, there was always some kids saying there were PlayStation 5, 6, 7, etc. in Japan already.

Kcarstel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting got good by the Luigi in SM64 hoax. That and the Sonic and Tails / Toad in SSBM were the big ones of my childhood.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb recently responded to an email about this and they figured the modern equivalent would be "I beat [famous streamer] in [x game] while they were streaming"