• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you prefer a 1080p LCD screen or a 720p OLED screen?

• 720p OLED screen. I want true blacks and more vibrant colors.

Votes: 492 54.6%
  • 1080p LCD screen. I want more pixels!

Votes: 212 23.5%
  • 1080p OLED screen. I want the best of the best no matter if it cost $500.

Votes: 197 21.9%

• Total voters

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever resolution they can pump out natively and also keep the framerate fine. Which seems to be 720p right now.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the Switch screen size goes up to 8+ inches, it should remain 720p. So few games will even render natively above 720p so it's stupid to go in that direction.

And I know this is a hypothetical thing, but I doubt Nintendo will ever go with an OLED panel. Nintendo generally goes with what's cheap and readily available, not what's best when it comes to screens.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
720p is perfect on this size. LCD have better max brightness, so keep that.
I want a really low lowest brightness (which the actual Switch has) and a night mode (who killed blue light).

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
None of the above? 1080 is a total waste at that screen size and will just negate any performance gains brought about by better hardware. Many games don't even come close to native 720p on the current system. Give me native 720p across the board, with better framerates and effects and a longer battery life over 1080p any day. And while OLED is nice it has its drawbacks so I'd rather they just go with a really nice LCD screen.

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
I prefer NO SCREEN. Save that cost and pass the benefit to consumers, or pump that extra cash into a better chip.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
720 LCD would be fine for the Pro as well. 1080 will hamper the effectiveness of whatever the pro was supposed to improve (better battery life or more power), and OLED - well there is a reason why Sony dropped OLED.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
720p IPS please

1080p would be a waste of resources, both graphical (for games that would actually attempt to run at native res) and battery

OLED screens don't make sense for video game hardware

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be a weirdo, but I want the switch pro to be a dedicated home console with no screen, have a cheap portable only version, the current dual purpose device and a home only device seems like the ideal to me.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
LCD, I've had burn in on my last phone and would rather not deal with that. 720p if the performance on 1080p is similar to what the current switches performance is on 720p.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
I think 1080P on the screen makes sense if the goal is to be able to run games at their docked performance profile while portable. With a new and sufficiently power-efficient SoC, you've got a built-in upgrade that every piece of Switch software can benefit from day 1 with no patching.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
edit: heheh^^^

the screen that consume the less power without affecting how it looks

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not gonna put a 1080p screen into this thing. Be reasonable.
From what I can infer from the articles and some commentary is that the "pro" version is for the dedicated docked Users and the "mini" is for the dedicated handheld users. Considering there is a large contingent on both ends. Physical form factor for the smaller one and internal cpu/gpu upgrades for the bigger one are what I expect to change.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
1080p on the same size? Dat pixel density will have things looking clean as fuck.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
None, just keep the exact same screen as right now. Improvements will come in form of framerate boosts, res boosts to games under 720p, and faster loading times.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the current rumor that the higher end model isn't much of a performance increase so it won't even be able to handle 1080p in portable mode. Instead, I think it will just be a larger screen via smaller bezels and a bigger battery to help with the larger sized screen.
It could now if they unlocked the clock speeds in handheld.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
720p is fine for handheld, and would prefer LCD anyway after seeing how blotchy my original Vita's screen got.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
720p is perfectly fine. It's performance that they need to hammer home this time in portable mode. Make sure there is parity with docked mode at least when running in handheld mode. Too many games suffer from being undocked. That's really all Nintendo has to achieve here.

We know it's possible, even with the current revision of the switch as hacking it can allow games to run the same as docked due to allowing clockspeeds to remain the same. Yes battery life suffers but heat isn't an issue really.

Nintendo forget that some people would love a switch, for portable purposes only. Trouble is, it's gimped for a hell of a lot of games.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Use a great LCD screen like they already do. 1080 is overkill for portable and OLED is terrible for long term use. If they need to do anything, make the bezel smaller.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
720 is fine if it keeps the FPS high and dynamic resolution usage less. A lot of games don't even make it to 720p handheld.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
1080p screen wouldnt be worth it... games barely hit 720p currently. I'd rather have stable framerates at 720 than worrying about a higher res screen.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
720p is fine. Games hitting native resolution still look sharp, and any amount of AA immediately makes them look great. Heck, native res games with AA on the Vita's 540p screen still look fantastic.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Same screen with a beefier hardware set would be ok with me. Tegra 2 seems like a go in this case. That should get us pretty close to a base Xbox One on the go.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I don't think they will have much choice for a "Pro" model. Pretty sure no one manufactures 720p OLED's in the volume and screen size they need (if at all), and being 2019 I doubt anyone makes "Premium" 720p LCD's either that they could bill as a clear upgrade over the OG Switch panels. I think market and economies of scale realities in mobile displays are going to force a 1080p LCD (or much slimmer odds, 1080p OLED) that is already mass produced for other mobile devices. Sourcing effectively custom panels that see little to no use outside Switch would surely cost 2x-3x what a commoditized panel would. Same principle as to why you can no longer buy a premium 1080p TV at any price, no one manufacturers the panels and R&D spending has long abandoned it.