• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did the demo sell you on Dragon Quest XI S?

• Yes

Votes: 123 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Maybe (Explain)

Votes: 17 9.3%

• Total voters

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I was already getting it day 1 but I want to know people who were not sure but were sold on the demo.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Was ready to use my last voucher on astral chain, then I played this demo. Gonna wait and get this instead. I am super impressed with how polished the game is, and the size of the demo is ridiculous.

Gale Moran

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Unfortunately, no. I love JRPGs, but I thought it was boring. I had planned to buy it before I played it, but I suppose I'll have more time for ori and link's awakening now so could be a good thing that it turned out to be so dull.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
already have fire emblem that I need to beat, too :)

hopefully Astral Chain will be on sale by the time I finish up DQXI

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Sure did! It seems like a really nice game to have steadily going as I play other things. Great, lively comfort food RPG.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't really like it that much so no. JRPG games are my favourite genre alongside horror with FFVI being my favourite game ever but just no.
There was just something about it that really didn't click with me.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah I was on the fence but it drew me in with the voice acting and music. I've never actually finished a DQ game despite several attempts so hopefully this time, it does the job.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I lasted more than the PS4 version ( played maybe a hour and half ?PS4 and maybe 2 hours on switch ) lol

So that's saying something

I Still can't get into the turn based gameplay just too meh feeling too easy and I wasn't seeing anything tatical and fighting random enemies wasn't satsfying to fight / also the silent protagonist in this day and age hurrrts a lot. so I don't think I'll be getting it..also the games just tooo much classic jrpg ish for me and music is still kinda too bothersome even if it's orchestrated it just feels too in your face

;_;

I'll stick with the xenoblade series thanks

TheGarlic

Feb 8, 2019
i Like the concept of a large demo, but it isn't my favorite game. It is a little hard to control in my opinion and just isn't my style, I guess.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Links Awakening apparently can be beat in 6 to 8 hours. Get both

I have to laugh every time the Nintendo twitter showcases gameplay and it's like "how do you fight a Shy Guy when it always faces you???"

I love Link's Awakening but the puzzles are literally like 'Dawn of Gaming' tier. I have a feeling people are misremembering what it actually involves and will be pretty disappointed when they beat it in an evening.

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
Not technically my first (that was 8) but I was done with the series till this one...that demo dude....that demo. I haven't felt this cozy playing a JRPG in a while and I can't wait to transfer demo data to the full game at launch!

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
the funny thing is, the beginning of DQ11 is probably the game at its worst. it gets so good.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems fun but the talk of it being 10 hours long is somewhat concerning

how long is this game that they're comfortable letting people play 10 hours of it for free?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It seems fun but the talk of it being 10 hours long is somewhat concerning

how long is this game that they're comfortable letting people play 10 hours of it for free?
I'd say.... 80+ hours playing it comfortably? It's easily over 100 if you're doing all of the content.

Does the story and/or writing improve specifically? Because I felt those were the weakest parts of the demo.
It absolutely does. The story goes in directions you would never expect.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, no. I love JRPGs, but I thought it was boring. I had planned to buy it before I played it, but I suppose I'll have more time for ori and link's awakening now so could be a good thing that it turned out to be so dull.
For what it's worth, the demo is by far the worst part of the game. I'm a die hard Dragon Quest fan and when I first played it on PS4 I thought it was easily the worst DQ game in the series after my first fifteen hours. Then, pretty much out of nowhere it goes back to its roots and becomes this amazing and charming JRPG just like the rest of them are. The beginning of this game plays more like a typical jrpg as opposed to DQ.

In the end I place this as my third favorite in the entire series only behind 5 and 8.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yes kinda ? I mean I love everything about the game except maybe battle system since I hate turn based, but Idk ....

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Does the story and/or writing improve specifically? Because I felt those were the weakest parts of the demo.
The stories of DQ games are fairly standard tropey JRPG fare (and XI is no exception), but there's definitely some great moments throughout that can catch you off-guard. Though the demo gives you a taste of one of these, and if it did nothing for you... well perhaps some of the later ones will fall flat for you too.

As for the writing, I personally thought it was fantastic throughout the entire game... so I'd need to ask more specifically what you thought was bad about it to be able to tell you whether it improves or not.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't know how to push people to buy it when they're on the fence about the story but I will say at the 40 ish hour mark get ready for an ff6 world of darkness level twist. It's a slow burn game but it's worth it

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, It unsold me on the game.

It crashed once and not sure I want to play a turn-base game that's over 80 hours long.

I'm getting burned out on Fire Emblem and I've only done about 35hours. And that's my favorite series.

Last game I manage to put 100 hours on was Xenoblade 2 but I loved the combat in that game. Although the game made me almost quit. Chapters 1-3 were Dreadful

Oct 27, 2017
Never played a DQ game till now and by the end of demo ,i was hooked and had to know what would happen next ,so i preordered it
And im someone who isnt too into traditionally turn-based games

NightMystic

Oct 27, 2017
Demo sold me on it. Ended up pre-ordering digitally about 3 hours into it. Honestly, I was shocked to learn how long the demo actually is.

I'm a bit worried about the long wait between finishing the demo and the game being available. I hope life doesn't get in the way and I fall off of it.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to laugh every time the Nintendo twitter showcases gameplay and it's like "how do you fight a Shy Guy when it always faces you???"

I love Link's Awakening but the puzzles are literally like 'Dawn of Gaming' tier. I have a feeling people are misremembering what it actually involves and will be pretty disappointed when they beat it in an evening.

Damn, that sucks. I played Link between worlds recently, very LTTP, and dropped it around 70% in because it was too easy and didn't feel rewarding. I'm betting Links Awakening is even easier huh? (Never played it back in the day)

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Damn, that sucks. I played Link between worlds recently, very LTTP, and dropped it around 70% in because it was too easy and didn't feel rewarding. I'm betting Links Awakening is even easier huh? (Never played it back in the day)
Most Zelda games aren't particularly difficult. I don't remember LA being quite as easy as Link between worlds, but yeah probably not too much harder either.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice but I don't think it's for me. It feels uh, saccharine I guess would be the best way to describe it, and since I don't have any feelings for the things that it's built upon and referencing so it feels excessive. I haven't finished the demo yet but I don't expect that to change. It's clearly huge and well made but something about the tone doesn't strike me the right way. The battle system is also more traditional than I usually like

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

In terms of like raw difficulty, none of those games are very hard. ALBW is the worst on this front because it's nonlinearity is a feature and therefore there is no difficulty progression, every dungeon is an entry level dungeon.

But anyway this is a DQ thread so I'll PSA: turn on Harder Monsters or DQ11 will be kinda brainless.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I've played a little bit of VII and strongly disliked it, as well as a bit of VIII and enjoyed it but not enough to stick with it.

I was sold on XI S the minute I first previewed it at SDCC. After playing the demo I'm even more convinced this game is going to really get its hooks in me, which is worrisome because I don't have 100 hours to spare, heh. It's just so incredibly polished, even more so with its QoL additions like being able to speed up combat, and the orchestrated soundtrack makes all the difference.

Never thought I'd say this about a Dragon Quest game, but I might be in love. The only thing I really dislike so far is Eleven being a silent protagonist, but I know that's typical for the series and if I can overlook it in my GOAT Chrono Trigger, I can overlook it here.

nawtt

Nov 7, 2017
it'll probably take me the better part of six months to finish, but the demo has definitely pushed me over the edge. What a fantastic game, I'm so glad I waited to play this version instead of the PS4 one

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
I'm having terrible headaches, nausea and motion sickness in the Heliodor(?) city...
It's so bad that I'm thinking to skip this one, although I was very excited

Mochino

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I was already sold on it after Builders 2 and Hero in Smash, but it definitely reaffirmed my decision. Demo pushed me from "Really excited to try this" to "Oh, I'm gonna absolutely love this." Grabbed it with my last voucher as soon as I finished the demo!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Game has crashed at least twice. I'll get it if they fix these bugs, it's really irritating that this has occured a bunch.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I was planning to get it, despite never having played a DQ game before. Though depending on how rough the port was I was going to pass on it without thought. I'm just over 5 hours into the demo and I'm 100% sold. The game is a delight to play in handheld mode, the cutscenes are well done, great voice acting so far, and the environments are gorgeous in art style. I'm rather impressed it runs so well too considering the platform.

Can't wait for the full game!

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
I've only done the main story content of the demo, so nothing from the open world, but so far I've been pretty disappointed with the depth of combat. I know it's pretty early on, but even then the strategic options were pretty barebones with just "attack", "attack that does more damage with limited uses", and "healing item".

The story failed to capture me and I thought some of the dialogue was pretty bad, but my standards for that sort of thing are probably higher than they should be.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
It definitely did. I really have the urge to buy XI in PS4 now so I don't have to wait any longer. But that defeats the purpose of getting the Switch version. I did though just purchase VIII on 3DS today and I'm really excited to play it. It seems like a real cozy JRPG series