• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you... its really hard to remain hopeful. Things started pretty OK but it's just been going downhill at an alarming rate. Dems have zero defense against the voter suppression measures and Biden seems completely unwilling to make sweeping changes that people will remember come midterms (ie. Student debt).
I'm going to venture that the only reason he hasn't is that he would prefer to get it done with legislation, but if he can't by midterms is actually 100% think he'll resort to execute actions to do so

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Simple. If voting is made more accessible, made easier, made more inclusive, then the current people in power have a MUCH GREATER CHANCE of losing said power to a young upstart, or just a person with vastly differing views. All Senators know the risk of this. Some accept it and are fine with it, but Joe Manchin probably represents a good 3 or four who are terrified of it. And all republicans know is more people vote in just about any state save Alabama, they lose.

This makes no sense. Joe Manchin isn't threatened by voting access or reform at all. He's the senator from West Virginia for goodness sakes. How would making voting easier threaten *him*?

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
This makes no sense. Joe Manchin isn't threatened by voting access or reform at all. He's the senator from West Virginia for goodness sakes. How would making voting easier threaten *him*?
Easy. Right now he enjoys his power because the Senate is so close. Think about it, if more people voted and say, there were two of three more Dem senators, no one would give a fuck what he or Sinema said. They'd just be loud whiners but it'd not matter. People like Manchin like it when things are this close, because it gives him far more power than before. ATM Joe Manchin basically controls what legislation passes or doesn't. You had even one more Dem senator, he wouldn't. and if voting is easier, odds are there'd be more than one or two new dems, and thus his power is diluted vastly.

Edit: I also believe America is more liberal than our Senate and house show. Lots of ignorance and apathy, but if people had a much easier way to vote, we'd see that reflected in the government. Why do you think Republicans do everything in their power to restrict voting rights?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean... yeah. Most democrats obligations are to their corporate donors. They aren't in the business of helping people, but pleasing donors. Whens the last time Democrats seriously put pressure on someone?
Whenever people tell me that it's one senator can stop everything in the senate I remember how they snuck in the anti streaming bullshit into a must pass covid relief bill because there was a lot of internal opposition for that.
But I think that level of dedication is reserved to Platinum Club Level donors and above.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels especially bad as a Georgia voter. Our state improbably clutched two Senate seats to afford us this moment to do some things of consequence, and we can't.

Oct 27, 2017
"We tried nothing, and that didn't work. I guess that's it for democracy."
How do we know they're not trying anything? Because it seems more people here assume they're doing nothing because they're not doing the very specific things you think will make a difference. I'm not going to pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I can't imagine they'd want the legislation to fail when the outcome negatively affects their political careers

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
ya know what.

I just dont fucking care anymore. Im done. Ill just live my life to the best of my ability and stop paying attention to any political shit. Im fucking done with hope.
I hate to fall into fatalism and hopelessness, but I can't deny how tempting it currently is. I'm not going to completely disengage politically, but there's no more "vote blue no matter who" cheer-leading from me. Nor will there be me mindlessly throwing money at whatever slightly blue tinged group that pops up. I'm gonna be hell of a lot more selective on who I vote for and what I give money to. I'm also going to focus more on local elections that impact your daily life far more than national elections. The rest of my efforts will be focused on doing right by me and my family.

Voras

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do we know they're not trying anything? Because it seems more people here assume they're doing nothing because they're not doing the very specific things you think will make a difference. I'm not going to pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I can't imagine they'd want the legislation to fail when the outcome negatively affects their political careers

Their political careers won't mean much when Republicans have permanent control of the government.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
To understand how fucked this situation is. Joe manchin dying would be worse for the left than any other senator dying

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their political careers won't mean much when Republicans have permanent control of the government.
Most of our politicians are on super safe seats and it's a cushy job where you can get super rich even when you are the opposition party.
This is why they don't give a shit, holding a senator accountable is a way bigger risk for their job security than permeant republican congressional majority.
And politicians always care about keeping their seat more than anything.

This is also why so many of them hate the left more than republicans. When you are in a safe blue seat you are way more likely to lose their seat to a primary challenger from the left than to a Republican.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i mean if they dont pass voting rights legislation and biden doesn't do it via executive action then yeah, it's a failed presidency

not doing so means you leave the country just as fucked as it was in the first place

i firmly believe that this is the thing that matters most and to not have action on it means that you have already given up

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
ya know what.

I just dont fucking care anymore. Im done. Ill just live my life to the best of my ability and stop paying attention to any political shit. Im fucking done with hope.
I feel the same. As a person with anxiety, just being aware of America's political landscape is enough to absolutely terrify me and I'm tired of it. I'm going to go the stoic route and stop obsessing about things I have no control over and just try to live my life the best I can.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
it seems to me, aside from the presidential election, the Dems actually lost everything else

have to accept nothing will get passed, from the DC statehood , student loan, infrastructure , voting rights etc.

America is damned

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
i mean if they dont pass voting rights legislation and biden doesn't do it via executive action then yeah, it's a failed presidency

not doing so means you leave the country just as fucked as it was in the first place

i firmly believe that this is the thing that matters most and to not have action on it means that you have already given up

Biden can't do anything about voting rights by executive order.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
What a gigantic piece of shit. Can't the DNC or Biden put pressure on this motherfucker? I'm not even American and this pisses me off.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
it seems to me, aside from the presidential election, the Dems actually lost everything else

have to accept nothing will get passed, from the DC statehood , student loan, infrastructure , voting rights etc.

America is damned

Late stage capitalism baby. Biggest symptom of it is absurdity everywhere. We are at that stage now. Fascism tiktok live.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Most of our politicians are on super safe seats and it's a cushy job where you can get super rich even when you are the opposition party.
This is why they don't give a shit, holding a senator accountable is a way bigger risk for their job security than permeant republican congressional majority.
And politicians always care about keeping their seat more than anything.
The country is being taken over by fascists and they're the political opposition. They should be worried about a lot more than their seats.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty good take on it all.

This is incredibly dumb in my opinion. The response to this situation which is just "well if I was in charge I would simply get everyone to do exactly what I would like them to do", feels like a incredibly reductive way of looking at these issues. It's especially silly given that it simply refuses to engage in the fact that 1. you can't really bully someone that you hold no real power over due to the type of elections Manchin is winning, 2. Literally in the last 50-50 senate republicans tried exactly this and the senator in question switched parties giving power in the senate to the democrats, things can get worse. At the end of the day, due to the way the American political system is set up, for democrats to be in a position to pass major legislation they pretty much have to have historically good election victories 2-3 Election cycles in a row. This insane requirement makes all the conversations about Democrats weird as hell.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The country is being taken over by fascists and they're the political opposition. They should be worried about a lot more than their seats.
I agree and I'm terribly worried.
Republicans already made it so that it's pretty much impossible for Democrats to win close elections, this happened in my lifetime, Democrats used to be able to win elections when they get 50.1% of the vote but that's no longer the case.
I saw it happening and I saw Democrats promising that they gonna take it super seriously (isn't Eric Holder was gonna dedicate his life for that?) and yet this just keep getting worse and I'm not even sure what's their plan moving forward.

Aug 12, 2019
If anything, drawing ire from democratic leadership would improve his re-election chances, tbh.

Again, this was always assuming that Republicans decide a Manchin that pisses off his own party and votes with them some of the time, is better than just whoever their GOP rep is that will literally vote against Democrats all of the time. I just feel like this has always been a nonsense take and something Manchin claims to try and keep him from ever receiving any amount of pressure. Manchin can't win WV if he pisses off the few remaining Democrats there as well, so if he has any intentions of trying to hold on to the seat, he can still be hurt in that regard.

If he flips, he could also just as easily go the way of Arlen Specter and flip to a Republican only to also just end up losing in the primary to a more a Trump favorable Republican. The reality is that as long as Manchin actually cares about his seat, he can still be pressured in some ways. Now if he knows he's finished and he's retiring after 2024, then he's just a rich old asshole who doesn't give a shit and nothing actually matters to him.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

America is damned
It sucks because black voters busted their asses to vote and give the Dems an actual majority in Congress

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
he is right, even election oficails from blue states thought hr1 was unworkable. as for joe menchian goes he has said sevral rimes he would vote for the vra, but dems dont want to bring that up b/c its less flashy. hr1 was disgined not to pass.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Eh, we're used to our work being unrewarded.
I suppose I already knew that Dems didn't about black voters, but now more than ever my political posts on Era are extremely pissed off goddammit the Dems need to do something to protect black people's right to vote. It's the bare fucking minimum that I'm asking for here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Fox News is calling Manchin out on his stupidity and naiveté:
www.newsweek.com

Chris Wallace Confronts Joe Manchin Over 'Being Naive' About Bipartisanship

"Haven't you empowered Republicans to be obstructionists?" the Fox News host asked Manchin.

Yep, Manchin and Sinema are both dumb.

They would be smarter to use the maverick/wildcard angle on the filibuster to actually create leverage to work with republicans.

Right now they just sound like republicans.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Attacking Machin is not a solution cause they still need him for all the judicial nominations, especially the Supreme Court, if Breyer decides to finally retire.

Maybe bribe him with pork for his state that will make him look good and get him re-elected. Or offer him a nice job for after the Senate.

Either that or find something to blackmail him with.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone still defending Manchin, fuck him

He's no better than the Republicans who obstruct everything Obama has done and now with Biden and then worry about partisanship.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
With the way Manchin is acting obsessed about bipartisanship, even the argument that Manchin is a sure thing for Biden's judge nomination is on shaky ground. What is to stop Manchin from being equally obsessed about gaining "bipartisan consensus" on judges?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
he is right, even election oficails from blue states thought hr1 was unworkable. as for joe menchian goes he has said sevral rimes he would vote for the vra, but dems dont want to bring that up b/c its less flashy. hr1 was disgined not to pass.

What needs to happen is to write down a really good anti-gerrymandering bill, and then a calm discussion with Manchin about why he should be really enthusiastic about the idea of a really good anti-gerrymandering bill.

It is fascinating that you could spend your life writing about politics and still come to this as your solution.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Elect dems but they're ineffective. If the Democrats can't help us, who can? What's the play now?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Elect dems but they're ineffective. If the Democrats can't help us, who can? What's the play now?
I think you start locally.
Like I don't have a magic answer, if I knew how to unfuck America I would share it with the class I promise, but I honestly think that if the extent of political action Americans are willing to do is donate money to politicians and vote for them we will not see the change this country need.

Join an org.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
For the upmteenth time, a Dem majority of 53-54 seats would mean Joe Manchin doesn't matter and this wouldn't be an issue.

So if we want legislation to pass the play is to not elect a bare majority where literally every Dem senator, even Joe Manchin, has to agree for something to get done.

Now, will our systems hold as we try to do that? Or will people gladly vote for authoritarians? Who's to say. That's what fucking gets me. Manchin can eat shit.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the upmteenth time, a Dem majority of 53-54 seats would mean Joe Manchin doesn't matter and this wouldn't be an issue.

So if we want legislation to pass the play is to not elect a bare majority where literally every Dem senator, even Joe Manchin, has to agree for something to get done.
Dems are never getting 53-54 senators again. It's impossible with rural states turning redder and having oversized influence. There's a guy is chance Dems lose control of the Senate next year and don't get control for another 20-30 years if ever.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Dems are never getting 53-54 senators again. It's impossible with rural states turning redder and having oversized influence. There's a guy is chance Dems lose control of the Senate next year and don't get control for another 20-30 years if ever.
It's possible next year if Dems hold AZ (likely), GA (pretty likely), NH (depends) and flip PA (somewhat likely), NC (toss-up), and maybe WI (lean R).

Holding the house will be the bigger uphill climb.

Let me reiterate that none of this excuses Joe Manchin being a piece of fucking trash.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise, both Democrats and Republicans are completely useless and the American democracy is a fucking sham. :D
8lih9s2ojtf41.jpg

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
When the alternative is a Republican Party that has turned into a trump party and hell bent on hurting people…there is unfortunately no other option…have to keep voting til the manchins of the world sunset away…

Oct 25, 2017

Now, will our systems hold as we try to do that? Or will people gladly vote for authoritarians? Who's to say. That's what fucking gets me. Manchin can eat shit.
I sincerely do not understand the rationale of blaming "us" for not voting in more Democrats when its Democrats fault for not appealing more broadly?

Stop blaming common people for the fuckery that is our "democracy." I vote blue in every election I can but I'm not gonna blame apathy towards Dems on normal people.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely do not understand the rationale of blaming "us" for not voting in more Democrats when its Democrats fault for not appealing more broadly?

Stop blaming common people for the fuckery that is our "democracy." I vote blue in every election I can but I'm not gonna blame apathy towards Dems on normal people.
I'm not seeing where in the quoted post I blamed anyone, but I apologize that it came across that way. I was trying to plainly say that if we want more progress, we need more Dems in Congress. If we want to place blame or scorn (I go back and forth) it should rest on the shoulders of people performing, enabling, voting for, or passively allowing authoritarianism, in roughly that order, IMO.

I agree that it is largely the obligation of the party to motivate voters to get out and vote. But I also believe that if you're plugged in enough to be discussing this issue then voting against authoritarians is (or should be) extremely motivating. That's just my view and my views don't have to be yours.

This does not mean that "better things aren't possible" or that we can't criticize Dems or any of the other glib tired responses that people throw out there. I strive, every day, to do the best I reasonably can with the circumstances I'm given to incrementally ease suffering and/or improve my world. On election days that includes adding one vote to the tally of non-authoritarians. I hope enough people do the same so that I can never think about Joe fucking Manchin ever again.