• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Tank controls were a godsend in the corridor escape, when the camera kept changing angle and you just had to keep pressing forward to run. With standard controls every camera angle change could result in a involuntary turn into the pursuers.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I understand why people don't like them, but I think they exaggerate when criticizing them. It doesn't take that long to get used to and the camera angles can provide some beautiful shots.

At the very least, when a game like RE4 does tank controls, it isn't anywhere near as disorienting because of the over-the-shoulder camera.

It's amazing how many times I had beat RE4 before realizing it used tank controls lol

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think tank controls work okay in a 3rd person over-the-shoulder camera setup. But they are jarring and disconcerting in a game like Resident Evil where the camera abruptly switches angles. The angle switch means you have to suddenly adjust and re-orient yourself in a way that is frustrating.

People want controls to be relative to their own viewpoint, not relative to the character's perspective. "UP" should always mean that the character is moving away from the player....."DOWN" should always have the character moving towards the bottom of the screen.

The more action-oriented a game is, the more annoying tank controls are. For an adventure-style game they can be okay, but if you need quick reactions and fluid movement they are bad.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'll try to give the most reasonable answer as someone that started the series with 4, and later went back to the older games, starting with RE2:

From a inexperienced point of view, it simply takes a lot of time until it clicks for you.

It's a slow learning curve that's very frustrating, a complete different experience if you're used to more modern games. Which is weird because, as i said, once it clicks it really stays with you.

Playing HD REmaster for the first time felt so much better with the modern scheme, but after getting used to tank it just didn't worked for me anymore.

I guess it just takes a lot of time for yor brain to adjust and register why it works, that's all.

Oct 25, 2017
Tank controls are absolutely substandard and only became bearable thanks to creative thinking (and technological advancement).

After Resi 4 put the camera behind the character (this is a cheat engine mockup, not an actual mod), things became much less awkward. Leon moves exactly the same as classic fixed camera protagonists, the camera makes that big of a difference.

Even then, RE5 improved things substantially by letting you strafe walk left and right (like Gears). RE6 improved the gameplay even more by letting you just spin 360 degrees in place without being forced to move the entirety of the camera view (like Vanquish).

Trying to walk around everywhere by pivoting on a central point like an actual tank would be a huge pain. That's not how we move, its no wonder people can't wrap their heads around that shit.
How does one move in a circle with tank controls? Not spin in place; walk in a circle.What about moving in a circle while facing the same direction?
First part would be big ass circle, second part would be a big ask without tracking/targeting a central reference point.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
How does one move in a circle with tank controls? Not spin in place; walk in a circle.What about moving in a circle while facing the same direction?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There is good reason virtually no modern 3D title uses tank controls.

We can acknowledge they were useful for the technological limitations at the time without trying to slavishly defend them.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
hahaha I thought you meant katamari style left stick up right stick down to go left, left stick down right stick up to go right

this is way worse

Oct 27, 2017
it was fine for its time, but even then there were better implementations (MGS style controls in RE1,2,3 would have been better). But nowadays, if i looked you in the eyes and asked you, do you want to go back to tank controls? and you said yes, i'd either think you are fucking crazy or lying.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Tangential, but when I hear tank controls I think left stick = left wheels, right stick = right wheels. Like the controls on an actual tank :p

Edit:
hahaha I thought you meant katamari style left stick up right stick down to go left, left stick down right stick up to go right

this is way worse
Yeah, this! But either you have it backwards or the game has a weird setup.

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
Yea its weird but I guess most people just have shitty spatial awareness or something. It's really no harder than driving RC car. And if a game has static camera angles it is pretty much the best solution on how to control the character. With '2D' controls you need to be constantly adjusting your movement direction and your character spins in place everytime angle changes. In worst case you end up going back to the previous angle and have to spend time on trying to just progress through an angle change.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Human movement is characterized by the ability to look and move independently in a fast, fluid and responsive manner.

Modern controls generally allow you to move a player character in a way that approximates this. Tank controls do not.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
How does one move in a circle with tank controls? Not spin in place; walk in a circle.
Hold diagonal, if I'm understanding properly.
What about moving in a circle while facing the same direction?
You don't without some sort of button assist that breaks from pure tank. Pure tank control allows for movement along the z-axis and rotation about the y-axis; what you're asking for requires movement along the x-axis.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yea its weird but I guess most people just have shitty spatial awareness or something. It's really no harder than driving RC car. And if a game has static camera angles it is pretty much the best solution on how to control the character. With '2D' controls you need to be constantly adjusting your movement direction and your character spins in place everytime angle changes. In worst case you end up going back to the previous angle and have to spend time on trying to just progress through an angle change.

I don't know about you, but I don't control a human in a video game expecting them to act like an RC car.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean when you say static camera?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They don't act like RC car though. They move like most humans would.

You're right.

tumblr_ppvn79Q5rE1t66aclo8_540.gif

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on

This is like saying you want single analog controls in fps like Doom and Wolfenstein used to have

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't really see what is a fundamental issue. You can change direction while moving forward and going opposite direction requires small pause. This isn't really any different from most modern games.

The fundamental issue is that tank controls simply don't offer the range and flexibility of movement that modern controls do. It's the reason developers stopped putting tank controls in their games.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's funky control if you want a realistic human. Excellent basis for a well playing videogame, though.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Tank controls are great when you are playing a tank game.. When I'm controlling a person I expect to move more naturally.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't really see what is a fundamental issue. You can change direction while moving forward and going opposite direction requires small pause. This isn't really any different from most modern games.
The goal of most good control schemes is to map the player's intent to the character using the most intuitive, simple means with the least amount of abstraction. Exceptions are allowable where the controls are intended to simulate something else (e.g it's why vehicle controls have a dedicated brake button instead of just holding down to stop).

Tank controls aren't intuitive because they don't map to how we expect human characters to maneuver in space. To use a bipedal example, they make more sense for mechs as a simulation of how inadequacies in mechanical interface design would inhibit a user's ability to control it.

Tank controls have some unintended positive side effects like increasing tension in action sequences but that's caused by poor user experience. You don't want players fighting the controls unless the controls are intended to be part of that mastery (e.g with vehicles). But no one wants to have to re-master human walking in a game when it's literally one of the first thing toddlers learn to do. One of the reasons the balancing mechanic from Death Stranding looks like busywork to me as well.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It has to be the camera angles cause I don't see anybody complaining about stuff like Gears which is basically tank controls in the same fashion as RE except you turn with the right stick. So like RE5 tank basically.

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
The fundamental issue is that tank controls simply don't offer the range and flexibility of movement that modern controls do. It's the reason developers stopped putting tank controls in their games.

Not all games need modern style controls. The reason why we have so homogenized controls now is because games overall are being homogenized. There would be a place for tank controls if someone made a game that could use them.

The goal of most good control schemes is to map the player's intent to the character using the most intuitive, simple means with the least amount of abstraction. Exceptions are allowable where the controls are intended to simulate something else (e.g it's why vehicle controls have a dedicated brake button instead of just holding down to stop).

Tank controls aren't intuitive because they don't map to how we expect human characters to maneuver in space. To use a bipedal example, they make more sense for mechs as a simulation of how inadequacies in mechanical interface design would inhibit a user's ability to control it.

Tank controls have some unintended positive side effects like increasing tension in action sequences but that's caused by poor user experience. You don't want players fighting the controls unless the controls are intended to be part of that mastery (e.g with vehicles). But no one wants to have to re-master human walking in a game when it's literally one of the first thing toddlers learn to do. One of the reasons the balancing mechanic from Death Stranding looks like busywork to me as well.

Tank controls are intuitive though. One direction moves character forward depending on which direction they are facing and left right directions are also mapped wrt which direction the character is facing. There isn't really anything difficult with these controls or something inherently wrong.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
First part would be big ass circle, second part would be a big ask without tracking/targeting a central reference point.
Hold diagonal, if I'm understanding properly.

You don't without some sort of button assist that breaks from pure tank. Pure tank control allows for movement along the z-axis and rotation about the y-axis; what you're asking for requires movement along the x-axis.
Yeah, I guess that's it. Strafing is so fundamental to human movement that a complete inability to do so - or minimum needing a special instance to do so - is almost hard for me to remember just how bad it all was. I thought tank controls precluded most things besides spinning and place and straight lines? I've blocked so much of them from memory.
Tangential, but when I hear tank controls I think left stick = left wheels, right stick = right wheels. Like the controls on an actual tank :p
This too! I instantly think of Katamari when someone says "tank controls" but that's something completely different.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
You have to rotate on your own axis instead of just moving in the desired direction. I grew up with them so it doesn't bother me but I don't see what's so hard to understand here. It's clunky and impractical.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The games that made that very clear for me were the Tomb Raider games. Incredibly precise controls that let me be in control 100% in any given moment, but people hated it.
After the move to "modern" controls I lost interest in the series.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not all games need modern style controls. The reason why we have so homogenized controls now is because games overall are being homogenized.

In the AAA space, maybe. If you include indies, gaming has never been more diverse.

There would be a place for tank controls if someone made a game that could use them.

You could absolutely do it, but the only people who'll like it are people who already like tank controls.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I thought they were difficult when I was 10 for like 2 hours before I got used to them.

They're really not that big a deal. Never understood all the tank controls whining.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought tank controls precluded most things besides spinning and place and straight lines? I've blocked so much of them from memory.
Frankly, I'm not too sure what the specifics of the term are; I'm relatively young compared to this board (I got a GameCube when I was 4). Isn't Metroid Prime considered tank controls? You can walk while turning in that.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely eager for someone to do a modern game with tank controls.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I got used to tank controls with Alone In The Dark and even back then it was obvious they were the result of technical limitations (trying to create a 3d environment with 2d pictures). It was an ok compromise to have games that looked like movies, but I certainly don't miss them now, they made every action feel stiff and awkward.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

As a person in UX, thank you. This thread has been amusing.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed OP. There was never anything wrong with tank controls... They're just another equally valid way of controlling a game. I'd welcome another game, Resident Evil or otherwise, using them to this day.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with ya OP. They aren't the most intuitive control scheme at first but they don't take long to click.

People in the thread seem to have amnesia:

- in the Resident Evil games, you can move forwards and turn at the same time to smoothly go around a corner for example. You don't stop -> spin -> move.

- starting with RE3 and up, a quick 180 degree turn was implemented. This was also ported over to the RE1 port on DS.

On how humans move:

- stand up and turn 90 degrees. You'll see that you simply just move one foot over another and spin. You don't go around in a circle like the enemies in Turok or Mario in Mario 64.

As an aside I've been playing the GC version of REmake and the type C controls are sooooo nice. You move forward with the Right trigger and a half press is a walk and a full press is a run. Then you use the analogue stick or the d pad to turn left and right. It's a bit like driving games. Makes it a lot easier to do turns.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't mind you enjoying them, but this idea that they are somehow deserving of love now that we've moved on is...strange. Like, people don't enjoy them. People can like and dislike different things.
This is my issue with the thread. I can't stand tank controls but I totally get that people can like them and have a lot of love for classics that use them. The idea that tank controls are so good and perfect and so actually totally fine that it's impossible to understand why someone wouldn't like them? Ridiculous.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's definitely the first time I've seen tank controls praised as "precise". If anything they're a real struggle when mixed with the fixed camera angles of old school Resident Evil, and they definitely aren't more precise than the current scheme. The reason people dislike tank controls is because in most ways they are less responsive, less fluid, less natural and less dynamic than contemporary control schemes. Different strokes though, I guess!

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm replaying some RE games right now and by Jupiter and Minerva, tank controls are awesome. They are precise and intuitive. Do you want to move foward? Press foward. Want to turn right/left? Press right/left. Want to to go back? Press back. You can't get more simple than that.
I'd say "push the stick in the direction you want to go" is more simple than that.

Oct 28, 2017
Classic RE controls perfectly, REmake and RE0 play worse using the modern controls, and classic Tomb Raider has better more consistent reliable and predictable controls than modern Tomb Raider.