• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I just realized that this is the first time where Nintendo is the only hardware maker not producing and supporting another platform outside the Nintendo Switch. I grew up in an era where every kid had a Gameboy (whether Color or Advanced) and of course the DS was wildly popular as well with even adults having one. Nintendo console owners were scarce in comparison except for the Wii before the Switch, but Nintendo handhelds were always getting into households even as they were declining with the 3DS.

Fast forward to present day, Nintendo has only the Switch on the market while Sony has the PS4 line of consoles and the PS5 with MS having the Xbox One S (Xbox One X is discontinued) and the Xbox Series S/X line. So both Sony and MS have two platforms with various models going. Of course it is because pure handhelds are dead and Nintendo cuts support of their prior consoles quickly, but it is really weird to see other hardware makers have more platforms on the market than Nintendo who up till recently always had various hardware platforms out on the market.

In 2011, with the release of the 3DS, they had 3 relevant platforms going with the DS line, the Wii, and the 3DS all being produced and supported simultaneously

And in the DS and Wii era, Nintendo sold over 250+ million units of hardware.

The market may be changing, but we can't forget all the hardware Nintendo use to make and how even when their console sales struggled their other platform was getting Nintendo experiences to consumers. They have always had a big pool of consumers thanks to their previous strategy.

I wonder if the next Nintendo platform will release after the Switch sales are tapped out or if it will an "entry price" console that exists for a while after they launch the next gen Nintendo platform?

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh if you're counting PS5 digital and XBSX as separate models then you should count the Switch Lite...

Also I can't be the only one who read your title and thought this thread was going to be very different, can I?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get your point.
Didn't Sony had only one Playstation on 1995? And MS one Xbox on 2000s, one Xbox in 2008, for example?

I don't know where the 1980s date comes from lol

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I think the OP is arguing the PS4 and PS5 are essentially two different gens and thus two different platforms (same with XBO and XSX), and Sony/Microsoft are still selling/supporting them both.

Whereas Nintendo really only has the one generation/platform ongoing (the Switch generation) due to the shuttering of 3DS support, and it hasn't been this way since pre-handhelds.

It's a meaningless observation, but I guess notable in that for the first time in 30+ years Nintendo's entire development efforts are focused on a single device (rather than split between console and handheld development).

And even then I would argue that's not entirely true due to their dabbling in mobile.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Uh if you're counting PS5 digital and XBSX as separate models then you should count the Switch Lite...

Also I can't be the only one who read your title and thought this thread was going to be very different, can I?

Im not, Im counting PS4 (Slim, Pro) and PS5........ then X1 (just S since the X1X is dead) and XS S/X

2 platforms each, you get it?

I don't get your point.
Didn't Sony had only one Playstation on 1995? And MS one Xbox on 2000s, one Xbox in 2008, for example?

I'm talking about it from Nintendo's perspective, its a first for them

For 10 years PS wasn't doing any other devices but consoles, Xbox has only ever had consoles. And the Xbox was dead by the time the 360 launched

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Erm...i guess ?
Either way, dont quite see the point of this thread or this 'achievement'.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the OP is arguing the PS4 and PS5 are essentially two different gens and thus two different platforms (same with XBO and XSX), and Sony/Microsoft are still selling/supporting them.

Whereas Nintendo really only has the one generation/platform ongoing (the Switch generation) due to the shuttering of 3DS support.

Did 3DS production officially end? They still sell 3DSes in Japan every week, hell it outsold XBS this past week.

Im not, Im counting PS4 and PS5........ then X1 and XS S/X

2 platforms each, you get it?

I thought by saying "with various models going on" you were referring to each model as another platform. Must have misunderstood.

Either way it'll soon be the case that all three only have a single platform supported.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get your point.

I think the OP is saying that it is the first time Nintendo has been in this boat since the 1980s. There have been other instances in the past but currently Sony is supporting both the PS4 and PS5. Microsoft is supporting PC (through Game Pass), Xbox Series, and Xbox One.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yeah, nintendo only supporting switch is wild

when they merged their hardware teams to focus on just 1, it was one of their best ideas

no need to focus on console AND handheld, nintendo went like "why not both" (both in one)

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Did 3DS production officially end? They still sell 3DSes in Japan every week, hell it outsold XBS this past week.

I thought by saying "with various models going on" you were referring to each model as another platform. Must have misunderstood.

Either way it'll soon be the case that all three only have a single platform supported.

Yes because platforms have various models. PS4 has the Slim and Pro, Nintendo Switch has the standard and Lite, etc.

We don't know how long the PS4 is going to be produced, but the X1S seems like its days are coming to an end this year

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
And bizarrely it's the only console that you can actually buy right now.

It's still so weird to me that the PS4 and XB1 just completely disappeared from one year to the next. The older systems always sold for years past the "next gen" launch.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, nintendo only supporting switch is wild

when they merged their hardware teams to focus on just 1, it was one of their best ideas

no need to focus on console AND handheld, nintendo went like "why not both" (both in one)
Sure, but consolidating their 2 best markets into one was done AFTER the disastrous Wii-U, which sold a pathetic 13 million. This after the Wii sold over 100 million and the DS family of handhelds and 3DS sold over 225 million.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get your point.

op seems to be specifically talking about Nintendo. As in, this is the first time since the 1980s that Nintendo is only supporting one platform. The thread title is just really poorly worded. Just a sort of random factoid more than anything else

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Yes because platforms have various models. PS4 has the Slim and Pro, Nintendo Switch has the standard and Lite, etc.

We don't know how long the PS4 is going to be produced, but the X1S seems like its days are coming to an end this year
What about 2016-2019 when PlayStation only focused on the PS4? Is that not just one relevant platform?

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think the OP is saying that it is the first time Nintendo has been in this boat since the 1980s. There have been other instances in the past but currently Sony is supporting both the PS4 and PS5. Microsoft is supporting PC (through Game Pass), Xbox Series, and Xbox One.

Yeah that what I'm saying. Nintendo only having one platform while others have multiple ongoing is really strange if you think about it and grew up with them.

But I didn't count PC because it isn't a really a pure gaming hardware line. Same for Phones.

op seems to be specifically talking about Nintendo. As in, this is the first time since the 1980s that Nintendo is only supporting one platform. Just a sort of random factoid more than anything else

No other hardware maker had that long of a run is what I'm saying. Sure there are times where the 360 and X1 were going, but this is a first for Nintendo since the 1980's. Its pretty significant when you realize it

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

For 10 years PS wasn't doing any other devices but consoles, Xbox has only ever had consoles. And the Xbox was dead by the time the 360 launched
Then why is your title:

For the first time since the 1980s, Nintendo is the only hardware maker with a single relevant platform on the market

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Isn't the Xbox One just an Xbox?

Once The Medium launches the Series systems will play games that the One can't. With the Switch, they will always play the same games other than a few controller exceptions. So you can argue either way on technicalities but at the end of both generations, one will have a handful of games not dual compatible and the other will have hundreds or thousands.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that what I'm saying. Nintendo only having one platform while others have multiple ongoing is really strange if you think about it and grew up with them.

But I didn't count PC because it isn't a really a pure gaming hardware line. Same for Phones.

No other hardware maker had that long of a run is what I'm saying. Sure there are times where the 360 and X1 were going, but this is a first for Nintendo since the 1980's. Its pretty significant when you realize it

it doesn't seem that significant if you actually just follow the industry. Nintendo consolidating into one platform is something people were predicting for years and makes sense with how tech progress has allowed home and handheld consoles to converge in a much more seamless way.

Jun 22, 2018
Switch isn't in an active generation transition right now, that's the main reason.

Once the transition is over, the PS5 + PS5 digital are just as much a single platform as the Switch + Switch Lite.

Doesn't seem like a very meaningful thing when it's just due to the fact the generations didn't line up.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Then why is your title:
For the first time since the 1980s, Nintendo is the only hardware maker with a single relevant platform on the market

Let me break it down

Nintendo has often had at least two relevant platforms, their competitors at lest one

NOW....Present day...... they have one, their competitors have two.

Is that not what the title says?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Your title makes it sounds like Nintendo is the only one who's ever done it, as you claim "the only hardware maker" and not something like the only "Nintendo console."

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Let me break it down

Nintendo has often had at least two relevant platforms, their competitors at lest one

based on your own qualifiers though Sony has always supported the ps1, ps2 and PS3 after their successors game out. The 1 and 2 for fairly significant lengths of time specifically, so it seems like the same thing that is happening now. Like someone else mentioned the big difference seems to be that the Wii U's massive failure took Nintendo far off of Sony and Microsoft's generational timelines for the first time. I mean, is it true? Sure. I'm just not sure how or why it's significant.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Let me break it down

To be honest I initially read the title as implying that Nintendo was the only hardware maker with any relevant platforms at all. Which I thought was a very weird thing to claim.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Let me break it down

It is not what the title says. The first part of the sentence (before the comma) applies to the whole thing, not just Nintendo. You added "only hardware maker" in there and it throws the whole thing off.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
3DS is still active to a degree yes? I mean not in terms of new software but the hardware is still selling in regions like Japan.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the other two just launched their new consoles. Otherwise they'd all just have a single platform on the market as they (almost) always have.

So...all this observation really means is that Nintendo doesn't follow the same generational release schedule as the rest, which is hardly new.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird thread.

Every console is relevant right now.

it reminds me of when Tim Kurkjian throws out extremely random and specific baseball stats as if they are supposed to be significant. "Mike Trout is the first right handed hitter to hit 3 home runs off of a left handed pitcher in a game in August in the American League since 1907"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird thread.

Every console is relevant right now.
Not according the to the title of your thread. The title is wrong, isn't it?
This makes no sense.

The title is all kinds of confusing but what OP means is simply this:

This is the first time since before the Gameboy was introduced that Nintendo had only one supported platform on the market.

I have no idea why the OP mentions other hardware makers.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Your title makes it sounds like Nintendo is the only one who's ever done it, as you claim "the only hardware maker" and not something like the only "Nintendo console."

I'm putting it in the broader picture. It is usually Nintendo with several platforms, now they have the single platform and others have multiple on the market. I personally just found it bizarre given the history of the industry

based on your own qualifiers though Sony has always supported the ps1, ps2 and PS3 after their successors game out. The 1 and 2 for fairly significant lengths of time specifically, so it seems like the same thing that is happening now. Like someone else mentioned the big difference seems to be that the Wii U's massive failure took Nintendo far off of Sony and Microsoft's generational timelines for the first time. I mean, is it true? Sure. I'm just not sure how or why it's significant.

They supported previous PlayStations while Nintendo support their handheld and consoles out. Nintendo is the "odd man out" here, and it isn't just because the Wii U failed. They tend to swiftly kill their previous console as the next one releases.

Thats why I wonder if the Switch will be different come the next Nintendo console, or will they attempt the multiple platform strategy with the predecessor now being the "entry point" platform. It seems to be what Sony is doing with PS4

To be honest I initially read the title as implying that Nintendo was the only hardware maker with any relevant platforms at all. Which I thought was a very weird thing to claim.

Well reading the OP should clarify it

It is not what the title says. The first part of the sentence (before the comma) applies to the whole thing, not just Nintendo. You added "only hardware maker" in there and it throws the whole thing off.

Only hardware maker with a SINGLE relevant platform, meaning "Nintendo has 1 relevant platform for the first time since the 1980s
Not according the to the title of your thread. The title is wrong, isn't it?

Nope its not, read the clarifications please

The title is all kinds of confusing but what OP means is simply this:

This is the first time since before the Gameboy was introduced that Nintendo had only one supported platform on the market.

I have no idea why the OP mentions other hardware makers.

Because it is usually the other way around....hence the significance
"

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They supported previous PlayStations while Nintendo support their handheld and consoles out. Nintendo is the "odd man out" here, and it isn't just because the Wii U failed. They tend to swiftly kill their previous console as the next one releases.

They kind of don't though. The NES, SNES, game boy, Gameboy Advance, DS and 3DS were all significantly supported even after their successors were released.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You wrote:

When you probably mean,

For the first time since the 1980s, Nintendo only has a single platform on the market.

I'm talking in the context of the industry. There have been other hardware makers competing alongside Nintendo and they (Nintendo) have consistently had multiple platforms relevant and supported all through (at least since the 80's, not sure about anything before). Up until now where the competitors actually have multiple platforms out and supported while they have ONE (hence single relevant platform).

They kind of don't though. The NES, SNES, game boy, Gameboy Advance, DS and 3DS were all significantly supported even after their successors were released.

"Kind of don't" isn't a great argument lol. You basically highlighted that every console since the N64 gets killed to focus on the next console.