• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For people who have beat both, which did you like more Control or Quantum Break?

• Control.

Votes: 443 74.2%
  • Quantum Break.

Votes: 154 25.8%

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2018
The TV show stuff in Quantum Break was hit or miss, but the actual core game was far more enjoyable to me than Control.

I found Quantum Break's story and setting to be far more interesting and the way you chain powers together was more enjoyable.

In Control it almost always just ended up being, fly around, shoot, throw something, repeat.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
QB is a Remedy game. It's their baby. Sure XGS played their part but it's Remedy through and through. If Xbox would've okayed the sequel for Quantum Break, Remedy would've loved to work on that next following Quantum Break's release. Unfortunately Xbox and Remedy's partnership parted ways after another game that wasn't a big success.

Quantum Break would fit in perfectly within future Remedy Universe games.
I don't know things fit really well between Alan wake and control with the Oops but Oops are not really necessary for quantum break, and time breaking down is a serious threat but control kind of make sit seem like a trivial concern that the bureau deals with all the time (superman in the batman universe?)

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Control is head and shoulders above Quantum Break along basically every comparable vector (obviously there are parts of each that don't correlate.)

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the love for Control.

I did have fun here and there, but the game just feels too underbudget. I felt I was walking through the same gray or red walls during the entire game.

Quantum Break feels way bigger.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know things fit really well between Alan wake and control with the Oops but Oops are not really necessary for quantum break, and time breaking down is a serious threat but control kind of make sit seem like a trivial concern that the bureau deals with all the time (superman in the batman universe?)
Easily explained through a parallel universe where Jesse Faden is Beth Wilder. LOL I'm just using that as an example of the many explanations Remedy could use within the context of Control and Quantum Break. It opens up damn near anything could make sense.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible for sure but I feel it would be hard to make it not silly. They could probably do it though.

Control is head and shoulders above Quantum Break along basically every comparable vector (obviously there are parts of each that don't correlate.)
Just compare the time dodge to the evade in control, time dodge feels way better and more polished imo.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
You bastard Marano how could you do this?
Im so conflicted right now.

I absolutely loved Quantum Break, think I played through it 10 times and never got bored.
But I also felt Control was GOTY 2019 and an absolute spectacle.

Both have excellent world building if you are willing to read all the codex (which ive done for both games).

From a gameplay perspective its a tough one.
I think both games suffered from "dont play it like this else you wont enjoy it" syndrome, but once you get the gameplay loop both of them are amazing examples and third person shootery with a twist.

OP couldnt you have put a "both" option so I dont have to choose?
Lol, 10 times? I like quantum break more than most but I dont think I have replayed any game 10 times outside of maybe super mario rpg, super mario world and the ps1 yugioh game.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Feel free to discount my vote, but Quantum Break was such a snooze fest and a terrible story that I couldn't even bring myself to get to the halfway point in the game. The "episodes" made it no better...

Control was a blast from start to finish...

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Easily explained through a parallel universe where Jesse Faden is Beth Wilder. LOL I'm just using that as an example of the many explanations Remedy could use within the context of Control and Quantum Break. It opens up damn near anything could make sense.
Just make it a multiverse that is loosely connected and you can do away with any plot holes in the remedy universe.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It's possible for sure but I feel it would be hard to make it not silly. They could probably do it though.

Just compare the time dodge to the evade in control, time dodge feels way better and more polished imo.
I called it time dash in the OP, but yeah it is much better than evade.

I will say that levitation plus evade makes you OP in control which is always fun.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, 10 times? I like quantum break more than most but I dont think I have replayed any game 10 times outside of maybe super mario rpg, super mario world and the ps1 yugioh game.

3 times during the first 6 months alone.
Trying to find/figure out every combination.

Then pretty much 2 or 3 times a year since.
Not having a real new game+ means whenever I would restart I would get addicted to upgrading and just keep going.

Its also rather weirdly from what the internet will tell you, something that really captivates people when they watch me playing it.
So friends who dont have Xbox/PC always want to know what happens next and we can clear the game in a single hangover.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Quantum break is literally garbage. Every thing about it is awful including the gameplay. The show bundled with it is d tier. Also you guys should not always get caught up on the hype. Some people on here will worship anything. It's so easy to make dumb threads like control is the best third person shooter of the decade. Those things are very subjective. I played it realistic expectations on launch day and loved it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Quantum break is literally garbage. Every thing about it is awful including the gameplay. The show bundled with it is d tier. Also you guys should not always get caught up on the hype. Some people on here will worship anything. It's so easy to make dumb threads like control is the best third person shooter of the decade. Those things are very subjective. I played it realistic expectations on launch day and loved it.
It definitely is easy to post any silly hot take.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
They both feel really unique and I'd recommend both. I also liked them both equally. And both were underrated.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Quantum Break was better and I'm tired of pretending it wasn't. The gameplay is way more engaging especially when it comes to the combat. The only thing it has going against it imo is that the TV show angle really wasn't needed.

I sound a bit extra, but the amount of people who drag QB as being some absolutely terrible experience has just gotten too much.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Quantum Break was better and I'm tired of pretending it wasn't. The gameplay is way more engaging especially when it comes to the combat. The only thing it has going against it imo is that the TV show angle really wasn't needed.

I sound a bit extra, but the amount of people who drag QB as being some absolutely terrible experience has just gotten too much.
I agree 100% and I really thought I would like control more.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Quantum Break and it's rare that I go back and play a game a second time, but I've done it with both (Control because I rebought it during an Epic sale for DLC and originally played on PS4)

I prefer the powers in QB a little bit, but the world in Control is great and there's nothing that lives up to the Ashtray Maze in QB. (It was my GOTY for last year and I voted for it here. But it's not like they're galaxies apart in terms of enjoyment in my eyes)

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
This is a tough one. Gunplay is better in Control (any shooter where I can't hipfire gives away some potential) but the visual effects of time manipulation in QB is beyond anything I've experienced so far, visually. Whether it's the shield bubble, the sprinting or wooshing or time warp attack thingy. The locations are always better in QB: the swimming hall, backyards, streets and labs. Got so many Max Payne vibes in this game.

Controls problem for me is that it's taking place only in confined spaces and doesn't have any outdoor level like Alan Wake, QB, MP.

The story has some very cool twists and implications, too. The overall gameplay and lore, with it's mystery, is better in Control, though.

I've finished QB at least three times, Control only once and a half. Voted for QB.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I also beat Control a few days ago thanks to Game Pass and was left underwhelmed.

I like the metroidvania structure it has going on, but as you said not many of the powers are actually interesting or useful. Besides, even though there are four floors in the FBC building, many of the corridors and offices look more or less the same, and most of the enemies are also the same. Rarely does a level distinguish itself.

There are a few fantastic moments, the environmental physics are great, and the moment-to-moment combat is really fun. But there are so few bosses, the story descends into nonsense and the mission design does not take advantage of the open-ended level design.

It's been a long time since I played QB,but I don't remember having so many issues with it. It was less ambitious in level design but did well what it wanted to do.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I also beat Control a few days ago thanks to Game Pass and was left underwhelmed.

I like the metroidvania structure it has going on, but as you said not many of the powers are actually interesting or useful. Besides, even though there are four floors in the FBC building, many of the corridors and offices look more or less the same, and most of the enemies are also the same. Rarely does a level distinguish itself.

There are a few fantastic moments, the environmental physics are great, and the moment-to-moment combat is really fun. But there are so few bosses, the story descends into nonsense and the mission design does not take advantage of the open-ended level design.

It's been a long time since I played QB,but I don't remember having so many issues with it. It was less ambitious in level design but did well what it wanted to do.
Sounds like you had simmilar views to mine on a surface level, should we replay the ultimate edition on series x? If it hits gamepass I want to play the expansions but I dont like it enough to replay everything because of the upgrade, dont know about you.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Control by a country mile. I actually think Quantum Break is a bad game and I regret wasting my time playing it and, worst yet, watching the episodes in between missions.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I like both games but Control despite having the same gameplay issues as QB, was more enjoyable due to the lore and being connected to Alan Wake pushes it forward for me :) (deeply connected)

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Good to see a healthy amount of QB love here. I thought I was I was the only one that preferred it to Control. While I enjoyed Control, it's pretty forgettable. QB made a much larger impact on me.

... Beth...

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

It's definitely not terrible I mean it's a Remedy game I don't think they are capable of making a bad game. For me it was just forgettable but I enjoyed it whereas I loved Control and the progression of powers were just more fun for me

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I adore Remedy but Quantum Break was them losing themselves. The narrative lacked cohesion, the pacing was off, the reliance on Naughty Dog style basic storytelling was off, and it lacked that spark at its core. Quantum Break is a victim of its era.

Control is weirder, bolder, better paced, more old school in its excecution, has higher highs, better multimedia inclusion, better lore, a better main character, and has more flexible combat. It feels like the next game from the people who made Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake. It's a game that knows what it wants to be and attempts to cut most of the fat. If they stripped it back even more to get rid of the mod/loot system and focus purely on explosive combat and mood, it would be peak Remedy.

Oct 27, 2017
I really like both. I voted for Quantum Break because I played through it a couple of times but I've only played through Control once. I still haven't played Control's dlc but now I'll wait until the next gen version is available.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Revisited QB after Control last year and while I was down on QB initially at its own launch, I came around on it much more this second playthrough years later.

Granted my hardware improved dramatically and I switched over to the Steam version which performs better anyway. So all the little tech and hardware hurdles I had before were absent in favor of a smooth play experience. Made enjoying the game all that more interesting.

Also I had a moment when I realized Jesse Faden was the same actress as Beth Wilder in QB. Didn't realize it during the entirety of Control(but granted I didn't recall much of QB until I replayed).

Control I just loved. It's not perfect and many flaws I would agree with, but I found all aspects an improvement. Combat worked better as I found QB kind of didn't have much to it. More often than not the interesting enemies negate your abilities, leaving the fights rather mundane, while the grunts are easy pickings. Not that Control is tactfully superior, but I came away preferring it. Arenas and setting much more interesting in Control as well.

QB felt rushed in many ways, especially with its collectibles. So many throughout were not well considered in placement and most regurgitated the same info in as longform as possible(often in email banter). Deep in QB you find an office area with no-name small-time employees that have email exchanges on their computers between the CEO and his chief lieutenant discussing their evil plans in a private exchange. Then in the next cubicle over you find an exchange between a mole and outside authorities secretly coordinating to start a coup in the org. You are aware of this through cutscenes and the TV show, but for a bunch of low-level employees to have these?? Cmon now. Remedy often tosses collectibles haphazardly, but this felt different, worse. Outside of the time egg areas, that stuff was poorly planned.

So yea, Control for me but I enjoyed QB somewhat more than I once did despite nitpicks.

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Control now. Really liking it except for the timed missions that you can fail. Those are annoying and very frequent.

I might give the rest of Remedy's catalogue a go after Control. I haven't played one of their games since the first Max Payne.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Playing Control now. Really liking it except for the timed missions that you can fail. Those are annoying and very frequent.

I might give the rest of Remedy's catalogue a go after Control. I haven't played one of their games since the first Max Payne.
You shouldnt read the OP or this thread if you dont want spoilers but if you dont care about them, sure.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Quantum break and it's not even close, the live action episodes were lame though but as a game much prefer QB

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The combat was pretty fun in QB, but overall it was a mediocre game with dull characters and uninspiring environments. Control is better in every way, but I still think Alan Wake is their best game.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just rolled credits on Control and played QB at launch.

I enjoyed Control quite a bit and instantly fell in love with it but by the end I was kind of over it... The gameplay wore thin and given the strong start and setup the conclusion was a bit unsatisfactory...

QB on the other hand never grew stale and I loved the time travel story and I thought it wrapped up with a really great fun plot twist and good conclusion. I did not like the live action segments as they intentionally relegated them to secondary characters in order to create a cohesive story for the main characters.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
easily Control, and I loved Quantum Break. The vibe and aesthetic of Control hit harder for me though which really helped

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I loved Quantum Break, but after completing it there really wasn't much to return to. The alternate choices weren't anything that changed things up significantly. Control has QB in that regard.

I will say the combat loop for QB was better. Less cheesy anyway. The powers had far more synergy and forethought than Control's, which was basically fly over everyone and chuck shit.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, QB's gameplay, to me, is much, much better than Control. It just flows much better, and I felt in power always (that bullet time run, my man). The lore is better in Control, but the main story is hard to say, QB's is simpler if you will, makes more sense, ties up nicely while leaving the door open, Control is far weirder, but at the same time I feel they aimed for something else, so I don't think they're comparable in that sense.
Let's just say that I replay QB every now and then, specially the bridge level, but Control is far less replayable

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Control far more.

Quantum Break's story probably kept me in it. Considering the interesting powers you receive, the combat was pretty lackluster and boring by the end (I beat it on Hard). Enemy variety felt poorer for some reason even though the gap isn't that wide. Live action scenes were fine but superfluous as were your choices. The pacing is awkward from having a 30 minute break inbetween every chapter. Graphically, the temporal reconstruction was really blurry but playing native and trying to get 60fps was not in the cards for me.

Control had better pacing, smoother combat that flowed really well and I enjoyed the atmosphere. I love running and gunning with all the mobility.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked on the thread thinking I obviously preferred Control by a mile—but on reflection, they're maybe more comparable in my mind than I would have expected. Both have combat that has some cool ideas and visual effects, but is ultimately kind of mediocre and suffers from a lack of variety and escalating depth over the course of the game. I was tired of actually playing both before either story had run its course.

I kind of liked the main time travel plot of Quantum Break—though, I watched about 30 seconds of the TV show before skipping that altogether for the rest of my playthrough—but I guess it's world, atmosphere, and aesthetic of Control that puts it above Quantum for me.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I had a really powerful negative reaction the first time I sat down for a Quantum Break play session and realized I was actually going to be sitting on my hands for the next 22 minutes watching a TV episode. Wanting to play a game and wanting to watch something are two entirely different moods for me, and I didn't vibe with Quantum Break at all. Just like an instant "Oh, no thanks". I thought the shooting was fine, but the game so rarely gave you control for more than a few minutes at a time between TV episodes, regular cutscenes, mandatory slow walks and hours of collectible reading it expected you to do if you wanted to get anything out of the story.

I liked Control a lot, both the storytelling and the gameplay. It was a welcome return to what I liked about Remedy's earlier games, with all the cheeky sense of humour and fascinating weirdness that I found absent in QB. The biggest complaint I had at launch was the totally unnecessary Souls bonfire checkpoint system, but it seems like they've overhauled it with patches and I'm looking forward to replaying it on PC once I have a system that can do it justice.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Control is just a mediocre game through and through. Mediocre gameplay and mediocre story. To me, Remedy is a mediocre studio that releases mediocre games.