• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I have always read that the Wii U is the definitive emulation console because you can have games from basically any retro system if you modd it. However recently I read that almost all the homebrew scene for the Wii U is just the same as the Wii one but in Wii mode. Apparently you can play Gamecube and Wii games in HD with Nintendont while the Wii can only play them in 480p but that's the only thing I know, aside from playing the few exclusives the Wii U had

I don't know much about this so for the people who do know I would want to know if the Wii U has some exclusive emulators (DS maybe since there is a DS virtual console) or if there are emulators that are significantly better than the ones that are on Wii

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Drive-by trolling
I would assume most people that hack their Wii u is for piracy.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
better emulation, outputting to HD, etc.
there's also another thing but we don't talk about that

Oct 29, 2017
UK
DS emulation. It's the main reason I'm gonna homebrew my WiiU in the future for DS games on my TV with an actual touchpad.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing games from an external HDD is the reason I hacked mine. Worth it. Big improvement.

I should explain that I refused to buy digital games from Nintendo consoles at the time because of Nintendo's backwards policies with license transfers and lost/broken consoles. So I had nothing but physical games even though I'm SO LAZY about switching discs. They improved with the Switch so I'm exclusively digital now.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
DS and more powerfull arcades (some late gen cps2 and cps3) are the biggest ones

Playing Splatoon with keyboard and mouse like a PC Fps is one of my favorites of the smaller ones

You choose if GameCube in the toilet is big or small

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Running games from a external SSD. I don't want to kill the drive my Wii Fit U disc D:

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently you can play Gamecube and Wii games in HD with Nintendont while the Wii can only play them in 480p but that's the only thing I know, aside from playing the few exclusives the Wii U had

So this is one of those fun threads where you ask and answer a question in the OP huh?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Always weirds me out the ability to make save backups without restriction isn't a more commonly mentioned benefit of homebrew, but I guess people are always really intent on emulation.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what's the best guide to go about doing that to your Wii U? or is it something we can't really discuss here on ERA?

I've heard about Nintendon't but haven't really looked too much into all of this
Oh god, it was so long ago I don't remember. I know that there are usually super-friendly guides to hacking Nintendo consoles so it shouldn't be hard to figure it out.

edit: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/
Always weirds me out the ability to make save backups without restriction isn't a more commonly mentioned benefit of homebrew, but I guess people are always really intent on emulation.
I found this incredibly useful on 3DS.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Backing up your Wii U games to external is the best aspect of it imo. So nice not to have to worry about discs being scratched and in general not having that extra clutter. All digital baybee.

what's the best guide to go about doing that to your Wii U? or is it something we can't really discuss here on ERA?

I've heard about Nintendon't but haven't really looked too much into all of this

I'd just google something like "wii u homebrew setup". There's a bunch of YT guides available that should help.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

save backups are definitely an appeal but yeah emulation is huge, I like the idea of being able to play basically anything pre-Switch all on one system since Nintendo are being jerks & not bringing VC to Switch

Oh god, it was so long ago I don't remember. I know that there are usually super-friendly guides to hacking Nintendo consoles so it shouldn't be hard to figure it out.

edit: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/

awesome! thanks!

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
save backups are definitely an appeal but yeah emulation is huge, I like the idea of being able to play basically anything pre-Switch all on one system since Nintendo are being jerks & not bringing VC to Switch
I think emulation covers way more than that since virtual console didn't have much of the line up of any of the consoles at all. Like 10% at best

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
if you're strictly within Wii Mode, they're about the same. a normal Wii would be even more convenient since you can set it up to load homebrew with no need of remotes and regular Wiis let you use GC controllers natively in most apps.

the draw of the Wii U is that it is an all-in-one machine since it has all the Wii stuff plus the Wii U specific stuff.

for me, when it comes to Wii stuff i choose to play on Wii U because of the activity log. that's pretty much the only thing that tips me over in that situation.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017

awesome! thanks!

Yeah it was fucking awesome when I realized that I could play most of Nintendo's library on one system.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I really like using the Wii u pro controller to play homebrew and emulators. I mean essentially a hacked Wii u is a hacked Wii, just with the ability to use the Wii u pro controller, it works with GameCube games if you dump them too. It's an extra step as with my Wii I could just put a GameCube disc in but the pro controller makes it worth it. thousand year door never looked or played better.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love being able to play my DS games like Ace Attorney, Endless Frontier, and Ghost Trick on my TV. And while the most recent balance update messed it up, I used mods to change the music and some voices in Smash 4. There was something really magical about having all kinds of my favorite tracks playing. After spending months playing Smash 4 like that, it makes Smash Ultimate's online all the more distressing to me when I can't even listen to the in-game tracks that I want to.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Not that I condone it, but to pretend that most people use it for other things outside of playing 'most of Nintendo's library on one system' is a little short sighted.

I'd like to think that this community is respectful in terms of emulation, but as with most topics we understand that we are a small minority of the wider gaming world.

Any modded machine I ever seen for sale doesn't put 'running home brew projects' as a purchasing feature.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Smash mods were somewhat popular, though not to the extent of Brawl (and MK8 mods never really took off at all, unlike Wii). I definitely recall running into Splatoon hackers.

I mainly made backups in case I ever felt like trying Cemu. I also transferred my brother's BotW save when he got a Switch lite, that was neat.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If I hacked my Wii U, would I still be able to use the eshop? Is homebrew even available for the current firmware? I ask because there are still some virtual console games I want to buy.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Outside point that you can play Nintendo HD games, biggest difference is native HDMI connection.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
DS Emulation
also fuck owning a wii
I'm still waiting for Gaxaxy 1/2 and Metroid Prime 3 Switch because i aint touching no wiimote shit

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Like others have said better emulation in Wii U mode and HDMI output (although admittedly it has problems in Wii mode)

GoYoshi

Jan 8, 2020
So Homebrew on the Wii U enables you to play games from an external drive and mod Wii U games? And Homebrew on (v)Wii enables you to play a broader range of retro games including GameCube titles and mod Wii games?
I installed Homebrew on Wii U but I think to get the full experience I also need to get it on vWii. Is this basically the same process over again or can I continue with what I've already set up on Wii U? And is it possible to use other controllers, heck even the Switch Pro Controller, on Wii U with the help of homebrew?

Oct 27, 2017
I have always read that the Wii U is the definitive emulation console because you can have games from basically any retro system if you modd it. However recently I read that almost all the homebrew scene for the Wii U is just the same as the Wii one but in Wii mode. Apparently you can play Gamecube and Wii games in HD with Nintendont while the Wii can only play them in 480p but that's the only thing I know, aside from playing the few exclusives the Wii U had
You can't play them in HD, but you'll get a HDMI output.
So Homebrew on the Wii U enables you to play games from an external drive and mod Wii U games? And Homebrew on (v)Wii enables you to play a broader range of retro games including GameCube titles and mod Wii games?
I installed Homebrew on Wii U but I think to get the full experience I also need to get it on vWii. Is this basically the same process over again or can I continue with what I've already set up on Wii U? And is it possible to use other controllers, heck even the Switch Pro Controller, on Wii U with the help of homebrew?
Technically everything GC and Wii is still on vWii side. It's just a very clever way to use Nintendont and the VC wrapper Nintendo made for those Wii games re-released on eShop. But you don't need to touch the vWii side.

Using this Injector https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/
you can have GC and Wii games on Wii U menu and you can play them with the GamePad (although for Wii games you are restricted to those supporting the Classic Controller). Nintendont for GC games supports wired controllers, including official GC adapter and I believe Switch Pro Controller.

On Wii U side we have Retroarch
gbatemp.net

Official - Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Official RetroArch Thread What is RetroArch? RetroArch is a multi-system frontend which allows you to run many different emulators and other programs...
and you can inject games into official VC emulator. N64, DS and GBA, in particular, are very good
gbatemp.net

[RELEASE] Phacox's Injector (NES/SNES/N64/GBA/NDS for Wii U)

Hi This is a program that allows you to inject games into the Virtual Console of the Wii U. It is compatible with NES, SNES, N64, GBA and NDS games....

Other cool homebrews for Wii U games: HID to vpad lets you use wired controllers as GamePad/Pro Controller (so you can use GC and Switch controller), Swap DRC (Lite) lets you play TV-only games on the GamePad and even adds the ability to turn off the GamePad

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so I should maybe should mod my Wii U. Can I blow it up or is it pretty idiot proof? I realized my wii and Wii u collection of games is really big and backing them up on a single drive would be nice.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Easy HDMI support is the best part about it. The GameCube and Wii can both do gameplay through HDMI, but having reliable playback of the same games through HDMI without having to invest in a HDMI adapter is a lot more convenient. Also not having to worry about your discs getting scratched. The only downside is having to rip your own library to get it playable on a Wii U

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about modding my WiiU as it's kinda obsolete for me and I have a Switch. I already have a Pi4 and a Nvidia Shield TV, but I might as well do something with my WiiU as it hasn't been turned on in over 3 years and collects dust. I might give it a shot.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the biggest thing for me is gamepad support. I love using the gamepad and watching TV at the same time, it's fantastic!

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I know that's the opposite of what you're asking for but there's one thing the Wii does that the Wii U can't: output VC games in glorious 240p.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, just bumping this because I think it was the most recent relevant thread.

Do we have a Wii U homebrew/ hacking thread? Or if not, would anyone know the best guide to follow or custom firmware to use?

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping an "old" thread. It seems that I don't have permissions to create a new thread yet and this topic seems relevant still.

I was thinking about modding my WiiU as it's kinda obsolete for me and I have a Switch. I already have a Pi4 and a Nvidia Shield TV, but I might as well do something with my WiiU as it hasn't been turned on in over 3 years and collects dust. I might give it a shot.

I just pulled my WiiU out of the "closet" and I'm trying to resurrect my memory what I did to it. According to the activity log, I last played it in 2016 when Color Splash came out. Before that, 2014 was the last time. I forgot how clunky & slow the interface is compared to the Switch.

Playing games from an external HDD is the reason I hacked mine. Worth it. Big improvement.

I should explain that I refused to buy digital games from Nintendo consoles at the time because of Nintendo's backwards policies with license transfers and lost/broken consoles. So I had nothing but physical games even though I'm SO LAZY about switching discs. They improved with the Switch so I'm exclusively digital now.

This is what I'm looking to do now. I have about 20 WiiU games on disc. I was surprised how many I bought and never played. If I didn't have CFW, does Nintendo allow one to install a disc game to the hard drive on the WiiU? As far as I can tell, it's only for games bought in the eShop.

How long does it take to rip a game from disc to the hard drive?

Follow this guide: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/

It's very, very easy and it takes you just 20 minutes. I suggest buying Brain Training from the eShop and installing CBHC.

I thought I had bought a DS game but I'm not sure that I did. I don't see it installed. Is there a way to list my eShop purchases on the web to find out if I did? Currently I'm on 5.5.1 and I use the browser hax to boot HomeBrewLauncher. Then I run Mocha. It seems that the browser hax is successful every time for me (I've done it about 5-6 times) so perhaps it's not worth getting a DS game. I have no interest in playing DS games on the big screen.

Then when I'm done playing the WiiU, I put it to sleep so Mocha is still running. I only need to run the browser hax if the WiiU is rebooted or powered off. So I'm not sure that CBHC is worth the trouble. The browser hax is not that bad. I guess if I were on 5.5.3, it might take longer to be successful because of the performance "fixes" that were added.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question no one has been able to answer.

If I hack a broken Wii u that won't load a game due to a memory issue, that had a ton of legit purchases and saves is there anything I can use to transfer the data/saves to another hacked Wii u?

I bought a second Wii u console only and realized I couldn't transfer to the new one unless I bought another gamepad and power supply.

Even at that I think I heard it could also brick my working newer Wii u if I did the transfer the legit way.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
If I hack a broken Wii u that won't load a game due to a memory issue, that had a ton of legit purchases and saves is there anything I can use to transfer the data/saves to another hacked Wii u?

What kind of stuff can you still do with the broken unit? Can you try running the browser hax and does it load honebrew launcher? Or does the memory issue prevent it? I think there is a tool called savemeii that will let you copy the saves.

Are you also looking to transfer the purchased games?]