• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harley

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2020
the Oldest House, NYC, NY
Something like this. If you're going to go big, might as well go all the way. Nice big fans that don't make too much noise. Fun LEDs that can be synchronized with gameplay elements (or turned off if you prefer). Somewhat modular design so you don't have to do a full new spend on the PS5 Pro. Just like swap a part or two. And of course the glass panel so you can see inside because everyone loved the transparent gamecube, gameboys and nintendo controllers. I think it would invite people to ask "what's Xbox hiding inside their literal black box?". It would show that Sony values transparency. Also, with a design more like this, you wouldn't need that pregnant lump on the side for your disk-version.

recommend-custom-pc-build-for-any-budget.jpg

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
The asymmetry created by the optical unit really make this look like some Zaha Hadid / futurism architecture, and I much prefer it over the symmetrical design. Like all PS design since PS2 I'm certain there's an architectural inspiration here.
It's not my favorite design language, and above all it's unfortunate that consoles have grown so big, but it is indeed very striking and quite beautiful compared to all alternatives and joke post routers posted.
I think that is giving them too much credit. It really does feel like they designed the PS5 around the Digital edition and either couldn't fit the Blu-ray in there due to the cooling required, or they expected Microsoft to ALSO go digital only, and then had to scramble to add a Blu-ray drive when Microsoft revealed the Series X. Swapping a panel and plugging in a drive is a pretty easy way to bolt on a blu-ray drive you didn't plan for. With everything else on the console being symmetrical and looking purposely designed to maximize air-flow, the drive REALLY looks out of place.

I do think they took some architectural inspiration though, mostly in how they designed the curves and the "popped collar".

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
We're just torturing ourselves with these designs of what the PS5 could've been. I really don't like what Sony came up with, and I love the DualSense! I just think it's overdesigned, non-practical with the stand and overall confusing as fuck to look at. It's bold and not boring at all, I'll give them that. I really hope I "get it" when I see the box in real life.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the design, it's different, interesting, eye catching. I assume it's designed to be a centrepiece.

But the issue for me it's so fucking big it won't fit in my TV unit anywhere, so it will have to be stuck out of sight behind the TV, down the side, or flat underneath so this interesting design won't be seen.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't hate the design, but I feel like they could have integrated the disc drive into the console way better. They seem so bent on trying to shoehorn the "V" into the aesthetic. Had they gone for a less overt "V", and made the base bigger so the top and bottom are symmetrical, I think they could have stricken a better balance of form and function. Something like this still looks "futuristic", but a bit more like a regular console imo. The drive on my mockup isn't THAT far from where it is on the real console, so it feels like it's something they could have figured out. The digital edition could add two more usb ports in the place of the disc drive if they wanted to maintain symmetry.

D7iNIZK.jpg
We don't know that the internals or airflow requirements look like, but yes, this would be my preferred alternative design. All those other thin designs earlier in the thread have no sense of realism for how they are going to cool 2070S tier GPU / desktop CPU / top tier SSD while simultaneously addressing people's "It SoUnDs LiKe A jEt EnGiNe", while some other designs literally just look like routers...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine standing up, but on its side it's definitely a problem.
Just flatten the lump. It immediately makes it 100x better looking.

I7AtCtP.jpg

gyh74V2.jpg

Just look how much nicer that looks sitting horizontally. Make it all black and I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it.
Horizontally yes. Vertically it's worse though, and that's clearly the intended direction either way.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly if it was half the size I probably wouldn't mind so much. But when it is that huge and stands out that much its going to be like having this massive objet d'art in the middle of the living room

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
playstation-5-ps5-devkit-sony-1.900x.jpg

Give me the dev kit with the giant cooling vents and extra USB ports. The PS5 consumer design is just as ugly and somehow even more impractical.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I think it's fine standing up, but on its side it's definitely a problem.

Horizontally yes. Vertically it's worse though, and that's clearly the intended direction either way.
I've always wondered how many keep their console vertically. I don't recall ever visiting anyone who had their console sitting vertically. Most tv-furniture doesn't have room for a vertical console either, so am I just not seeing it or is it pretty normal to have it v rather than h?

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered how many keep their console vertically. I don't recall ever visiting anyone who had their console sitting vertically. Most tv-furniture doesn't have room for a vertical console either, so am I just not seeing it or is it pretty normal to have it v rather than h?
My Wii is the only vertical console I currently have and it just sits at the base of my center on the side.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The only people I know that have it vertical either have it wall mounted or on those idea wide and flat cabinets that have doors then they have it sat next to the tv/plants

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Unless its specifically in an entertainment setup, I tend to have my consoles vertical. Here is my PS4 Pro:

XtfqlXY.jpg

Although with the PS5 being an additional 10cm taller or so, it wouldn't fit in that same space unless I lay it horizontal.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This one is
*chef kiss*

Definitely goes for that futuristic design Sony wanted. Sticks with the same shape as that is distinctively Playstation. Its simply aesterically pleasing in every way.

God damn does this thread hurts. Sony really flub on the design of the PS5. I just hope its ugly design is great for the hardware itself. If its not. My God Sony, just why!?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Really? I thought they keep spinning the entire time I'm playing 🤔

Nope.
The disk is just a medium to get the content and holds the license for you to play the game.
Once its done the check the disk is pointless and stops spinning.
If you have a modded console you can actually look at the disk youll notice it stop spinning and you can even take it out if you want with the game running.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Do I assume that the white collars are conductive, so they'll get hot as fuck, but that's how they're getting the heat away from the system?

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
These mock ups look cool and all but they seem to miss the key requirement of ventilation.

Are there any mock ups which have a lot of ventilation?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
to some of these designs

Where my vents at
From the front to back
Heat is you feelin' that
Put one hand up to the console
Can you repeat that
Tryin' to take my vents
See I don't need that
So don't play yourself

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's trying too hard to look futuristic. Reminds me a bit of the dreadful and tacky "gamer aesthetic" that is really "straight dude with no background in design aesthetic". I'm hoping they will have versions in other colors, it bothers me how bright that white is.

Also from a practical point of view, I hate white consoles because they all get yellow and ugly with time. I have a white DS lite that was super sleek when I bought it, and now looks gross. And my husband pointed out to me immediately that all of those hollows and small recessions will be a nightmare for accumulating dust. We live in a very dusty area.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
To me the main issue is less the design than the size. I can think of better designs but still have trouble imaging it in my living room because of how big it is.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
my biggest complaint is that glossy black they used in the middle. these things will only look brand new for the first 30 minutes

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The more I look the more perplexed I am about how they have messed it up big time.

If I were to try to fix this, apart from flattening the exterior surface of the flaps, I would try to integrate the bluray slot into the central black part, to not make it too bulky. We obviously don´t know how the components are placed inside, but just looking at it from the outside you can tell they didn´t manage to solve the puzzle.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I am very worried about it being designed for vertical placement. It will just end in disaster as soon one of my cats decides to fuck around with it.