• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just flatten the lump. It immediately makes it 100x better looking.

I7AtCtP.jpg

gyh74V2.jpg

Just look how much nicer that looks sitting horizontally. Make it all black and I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it.

This is legit way better. Im not a fan of the original design (so I don't think this is GOOD), but this change makes it so much better.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Obviously the cooling could not have been changed. People trying to do new designs should at least have that in mind. Some have what seems to be 1/3 of the volume AND miss every air port. Waste of time really.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Looks cool. I was meh at first and preferred the Xbox design. But the more I thought about it - I appreciate them trying something actually new and interesting. It doesn't look like every other piece of tech in the entertainment center. I can respect that. I think it'll look awesome in person.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Its possibly not bad in other colours but I can't tell you the shit I will catch if I try and spend £400-500 to have that thing sitting in our living room. Not only would my fiance not like it, I don't like it myself. I like machines that fade in to the background when I'm not using them, I don't need this massive, curvy, futurist battle tank with rim lights and stuff on show - just give me a nice practical design in something less stark than white and we're cool.

The flat base version does look nice.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't hate the design, but I feel like they could have integrated the disc drive into the console way better. They seem so bent on trying to shoehorn the "V" into the aesthetic. Had they gone for a less overt "V", and made the base bigger so the top and bottom are symmetrical, I think they could have stricken a better balance of form and function. Something like this still looks "futuristic", but a bit more like a regular console imo. The drive on my mockup isn't THAT far from where it is on the real console, so it feels like it's something they could have figured out. The digital edition could add two more usb ports in the place of the disc drive if they wanted to maintain symmetry.

D7iNIZK.jpg

tenor.gif

I think it would need to be alittle thicker, but it would still look nice imo.

Jul 26, 2018
What's really cool about these is in the future for some websites (Colorware), you can customize your own console. But it's a expensive price tag though. I'm thinking about gifting myself either a blue/black or red/black. Maybe pink.

audio_delay

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer flat surfaces on both sides, so i can put disc cases on them. It is difficult to tell , but I hope they stick with the matt surfacing. I prefer the cold sinple cool design of the ps4, ps2 and ps1. The ps5 looks like a dressed-up puppet, if the curves on the casing aren't contributing to the function or cooling of the system, then cut them out.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Mockups and photoshops have the benefit of not having to deal with things like cooling and noise. I find the PS5 design to be pretty ugly but there's probably a reason for why it is the shape it is. It seems to me that the curves and asymmetrical elements are meant to 'hide' the console's size. As a normal rectangle the console would look even more massive than it already is.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
It should look like any other clean industrial design.

PS5 looks like a GAMER thing. I guess the design is very fitting if you are all about dx racer chairs, video game posters and RGB LEDs. For anyone else it's embarrassing.
I don't want my electronics to stand out, I don't want them to make a statement in fact I want them to take as little attention as possible. An odd and extravagant piece of gear can be cool if it's an exotic and rare thing. A game console is not that.

My guess is the american division did the design because this kind of aesthetic doesn't go well here in Japan. Same thing with the controller. They went from Japanese chefs knife with ds1-2-3 to "ergonomic" led crap with ds4 and now with ds5 we have ergonomic crap + cheap sci-fi concept art aesthetic.

PS used to have an aesthetic that fit people who didn't want their games to look like toys for 12 year olds. But I guess this new style is predictable in a world where the MCU and Star Wars have become the most important institutions in the lives of millions of adults.

So yeah I hate it. But I wouldn't buy one even if I loved the design because pay walled multiplayer is a scam and a deal breaker.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
It looks easy to design a console if you're not gonna take thermals and placement/size of internal components into consideration.
Hence most of the slimmer mockups on this thread isn't gonna work smoothly in real life on today's tech.

optiroc

Oct 28, 2017
The asymmetry created by the optical unit really make this look like some Zaha Hadid / futurism architecture, and I much prefer it over the symmetrical design. Like all PS design since PS2 I'm certain there's an architectural inspiration here.
It's not my favorite design language, and above all it's unfortunate that consoles have grown so big, but it is indeed very striking and quite beautiful compared to all alternatives and joke post routers posted.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
It looks way better than the PS3, PS3 Slim consoles and even better than the latest PS4 consoles imho. Looks stylish as hell.
Don't know what your problem is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't, really. PS3 slim is not really good looking - I agree, but it isn't an eyesore like the PS5.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
I don't like the pointy plastic on the top of the console. Also the console being white does it a great disservice.

Oct 28, 2017
With the disc drive being so low to the table when horizontal, I'm worried the spinning might make a loud vibrating noise during graphic intensive scenes.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
There is no way to fix the design mess that is the PS5. I think the internal component layout is the issue. While Microsoft went with a vertical airflow chamber, Sony went with a very traditional layout for the motherboard. I thing the height of the PA5 is a direct consequence of that.

The curved shape with excess plastic jutting out is offensive to anyone with eyes.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we get a simple but beautiful retail box like we did for ps2. It may sound funny, but I always love thinking what the box will look like. I still have a ps2, ps3 and PS4 box. Lol

1vxh74bph7h01.jpg