• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Given you don't know the engineering brief, how can you categorically state this is form over function?

Can't rest the system horizontally without a stand (which is what the majority are going to do). Even with stand it will be less steady than if it simply had a flat side to it with rubber pads. Not giving your console a stable base to rest on is form over function. Even the more outlandish PC cases start with a stable base.

There's no purpose for the fins to extend beyond the system. It's purely for aesthetics.

Last edited:

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I see someone has already made a "Paint It Black" reference, but aside from that, I like how the PS5 looks, but wish it wasn't gargantuan.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I rounded off the flaps and somehow it looks even more like a router.

GvKH5jl.jpg

TbL2ASF.jpg
looks uglier without the flaps really. Maybe they should square the black part instead.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Can't rest the side horizontally without a stand (which is what the majority are going to do). Even with stand it will be less steady than if it simply had a flat side to it with rubber pads. Not giving your console a stable base to rest on is form over function. Even the more outlandish PC cases start with a stable base.

There's no purpose for the fins to extend beyond the system. It's purely for aesthetics.
Obviously we don't know how this design functions 100% until we get a teardown but I've heard the fins help "direct" the airflow. In your opinion how does that lineup?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to forgive me with some of the wonkiness since I'm not too great with photoshop, but I wouldn't have minded something like this

f9bjgxX.png

I clipped the wings shorter and made the disc side flat since that's supposed to be the side it's going to be laying on when it's horizontal. Some of the asymmetry might be annoying for some people, but you weren't going to get that with the disc drive in anyways lol
That looks so much better. I can't stand the damn fins.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's so funny that there are many complains about it looking ugly , hideous and so on ...

then post a mock-up that looks way uglier . The router looking one is the worst ffs

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You'll have to forgive me with some of the wonkiness since I'm not too great with photoshop, but I wouldn't have minded something like this

f9bjgxX.png

I clipped the wings shorter and made the disc side flat since that's supposed to be the side it's going to be laying on when it's horizontal. Some of the asymmetry might be annoying for some people, but you weren't going to get that with the disc drive in anyways lol
if this was flat on both sides it would be perfect to me

i don't like the fins at the top and as someone who currently has a switch sitting on top of a PS4 that's sitting on top of an Xbox One the ability to be able to stack things is vital to me

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
End result is the same. There's extra plastic that extends past the body for no functional reason.
Maybe there is, we're just assuming after all. There may be a reason they round the black part. Anyway I tried to square off the black part instead, I think it looks better, added PS logo just because I can lol

Ez3yP0o.png

mgPh35L.png

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't really sure where to post my thoughts on the PS5 design, but I guess here will do.

In short, I don't really like it, but I don't really care ultimately as its just a box anyway. I think it misses the mark on a number of levels. There's this school of thought that designers should be inspired by other works and I think there can be times where its overdone and thats why we're seeing all these memes of it being a router or a fridge because one can't really help make the comparison. When I look at the PS5, it looks like its the roof for a building or something that should be in an art gallery.

The two biggest issues I have is that it goes overboard with how all the elements clash or contrast with each other. The white and black clashes as both appear to be dominant. The way the white outer panel is thin at the top and thick at the bottom where the disc drive is, and how the black band does the reverse (goes from thick to narrow). There's symmetry but there isn't so it feels unusual and doesn't sit right.

The other issue is that it appears big - this is mostly due to power and thermals now that its basically like a mid/high tier PC it needs the airflow and bigger fans, but consoles were always about efficiency in design. Whereas with a custom PC, it wasn't nearly as space efficient. I think if the PS5 was smaller - the reaction wouldn't nearly be as overblown.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
You can tell they decided to a have a drive-less version from the beginning with this design. It almost looks like the drive-less version was designed first and then they realized they need to have a drive and just tacked it on somewhere. That bump is unsightly. Is that horizontal photo really an official photo? It looks so wrong with that small black stand. Also, if you need a stand when its laid flat like that, it's a bad design.

I thought the design was really cool when I first saw it yesterday but it already looks dated and too much like a toy. They evolved the PSVR look, which is not where I would have went.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Made another pass of my design, added the disk drive, and moved the USB spots.

z1mbpNd.jpg

edit: with PS logo inspired by Arex:

nuBMeaN.jpg

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there is, we're just assuming after all. There may be a reason they round the black part. Anyway I tried to square off the black part instead, I think it looks better, added PS logo just because I can lol

Ez3yP0o.png

mgPh35L.png
Honestly, I don't hate this one. But the afterthought disc drive placement still irks me.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Take the fins off and put the disc drive in the middle glossy part and you have yourself a winner.
might be a toaster though thermal wise lol

Honestly, I don't hate this one. But the afterthought disc drive placement still irks me.
I feel like that black middle part is probably filled with some hefty cooling system which is why they can't put the drive there. I'd look much better in the middle for sure.

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of this design, I've always liked the look of Playstation consoles. This one looks like some of the Photoshopped designs in the past for other consoles and Steam machines.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a very negative connotation with 'gaming routers' because they're usually overpriced shit products that are bad at routing network data. Plus I never really liked the 90's future aesthetic. It was gaudy then and it's gaudy now.

Launch PS3 aside I think the Playstation family of hardware always had a sleek look to it that fit into a typical home entertainment center without calling attention to itself. Now a casual glance near my TV screams VIDEOGAMES and I really need more subtlety in my life than that.

Plus the damn thing won't even fit in my entertainment center, so it's all kind of moot. It'll have to be placed in a super obvious location thanks to that.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Half of the problem to me is the black-white dual tone. Looks a lot less cheap if it was just one colour - here's a bad 5-minute photoshop of an all-black version to illustrate what I mean-

1O41CCI.jpg

Edit: Just realised someone earlier in the thread has already done it and better... Let's just say I agree

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
might be a toaster though thermal wise lol

I feel like that black middle part is probably filled with some hefty cooling system which is why they can't put the drive there. I'd look much better in the middle for sure.
I'm sure its either the direct cooling solution, or the board is there and they have to have cooling on both sides to provide enough cooling surface to make it work. Those 8 Zen cores @ 3.5 Ghz, Navi CUs @ 2.23Ghz and 12 high-speed SSD chips are just going to dump heat into that system. I still think a centered disk drive was their original design goal, but couldn't make it work due to the cooling requirements. Because the Digital edition is WAAAAAY sexier without the disc-drive tumor.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the funny thing.. the more I see these alternative mockups, the more I like the PS5 design

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China

Ez3yP0o.png

mgPh35L.png
This is just so much better! Great job!

That abrupt rounded corner really breaks the whole design consistency for me. This + all black (white is also fine!) + digital edition would be perfect.

Edit:
Taking a second look, laying horizontally your version kinda looks like a OG Xbox One clamped by papers...

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Make it black...kill the flaps. The 2 color thing just doesn't do it for me. And the flaps are just the worst. I'm still buying it, but it's still ugly.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Just realized this after seeing the digital version. Best console for me is no console at all, i never want to deal with the elements.

I always buy sony TV and they last a long time so i would love to see them incorporate digital console functionality in their tv with slot for extra storage. Would buy it in a heartbeat.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person who doesn't give a shit how these things look? It could be bright orange with neon green and yellow streaks and in the shape of a rhombus and I'd still buy it lol.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Ez3yP0o.png

mgPh35L.png

Honestly , this is the best so far . Taste is subjective but anyone who said otherwise has bad taste .

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
My opinion: The black and white is jarring and the "fins" of plastic jutting out seem unnecessary and add to the awkward design language. As some edits here have already shown, it looks MUCH better with these things removed or altered.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
the funny thing.. the more I see these alternative mockups, the more I like the PS5 design

Yes, I came here to agree that the design was too garish and didn't make sense in my living room and...

After seeing all the mockups here...

I'm ok with the official design. Even the bulge in the disc version.

OP, heres the answer to your question

That´s just an Xbox One X, they wouldn't do that.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate it... I just guess I don't like the two tone design in general. I would much prefer it in either solid black or solid white. Same with the controller. Also I think I much prefer the look of the console when horizontal. I do wish the drive looked a little more integrated into the design tho, but the desire for what is likely going to be a identical internal chassis between the drive version and the digital version is understandable. Wish they could've blended the drive bay in in a bit better by altering the plastic shell a bit further or something... Maybe they wanted a standard horizontal stand that works for both versions too.

After further looking at it laying horizontally, the drive may be less noticeable than assumed. It's tapered back pretty far, and most people put the consoles fairly low to the ground. Straight on front shots make it look like the drive bay is basically flush with the front of the console, but it isn't, seemingly. All these other shots of the console kinda suck. How often is the thing higher or level to your your eyes? It's not a damned mantelpiece. Unrealistic viewing angles that just accentuate the popped collar look.

Last edited: