• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm relatively new here so I never know if these threads are a pisstake or not but if it's not... what a complete non-issue!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just like the Switch was NX before it got a name, Scarlett is the next Xbox's name until we get something that isn't a code name.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So 360 was called that because "Xbox 2" would've sounded inferior to "PS3", right?

It'd be kind of funny if Xbox called their next console "Xbox 6" or something haha.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 5. There have been 4 distinct hardware configurations of the Xbox - Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox One X. The One X is still part of the same generation, but the internal hardware is drastically different.

Any next gen Xbox will be the 5th distinct hardware configuration of the Xbox family.

It also creates marketing parity with the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Thread backfire op, sorry. Op I'm sure you had good intentions and all but a message board like this or any others for that matter don't like being told what to say.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll only call it the Xbox4 if that's short for XXXbox4twenty Blaze It Edition.
If we can agree on that then let's proceed.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox OG
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X (definitely an upgrade)
Xbox 5

No way Microsoft would have a number less than Sony with their PS5

Expect Xbox 5

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
It will just be Xbox. Sony should drop the numbering also. Once you get into double digits it just sounds dumb. I mean.... Playstation 14 does not sound interesting at all. Pretty sure this is why Apple skipped '9' and instead went to 'X'.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Why does this bother you so much OP? And why settle on Xbox 4????? Scarlet for now is what most refer to it as since that is the code name for it just like Scorpio for the "X".

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Are you being intentionally dumb or do you need the relationship explained to you?

It's intentional. I don't need you to stretch the relationship between software names and XboxGamesBox hardware names to prove a silly point about Microsoft skipping numbers. Numbers they don't even use for said hardware since they came into the market.

Dec 11, 2017
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox 5

I believe that Microsoft has a good case to call their next system, Xbox 5. An original idea was to call Xbox 360, Xbox 3, and have it stand for three pillars to make sense of the name, because they didn't want the platform to sound inferior as Xbox 2, to Sony's PlayStation 3.

The did something similar to the three pillar concept, but of course went with Xbox 360, as in "all-in-one" piece of hardware.

Xbox One is once again, kind of an "all-in-one" sounding name. The Xbox One X is four years removed from the original Xbox One, which is the same amount of time between their first system and its successor, so both timewise and hardware improvement-wise, I think they have a case going for them, to somewhat retroactively consider the Xbox One X as their fourth piece of hardware.

Unless they come up with some different theme, I think they were just called Xbox 5.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
There's absolutely no way Microsoft will ever label their console with an inferior or lower number than Sony.

Xbox 4 vs PlayStation 5? Never gonna happen