• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
There are so many short hand names floating around for Microsoft's next gen Xbox, each more rancid than the last. Some I have seen recently include:
  • Xbox Two
  • Xbox 720
  • Next Box
  • NeXbox
  • Xbox One 2
  • Xbox 360 3
  • Xbox 1080
  • Yboy

Why can't we just be reasonable and call it the Xbox 4 for now. It is the fourth Xbox after all, and it works perfectly as a pair with PS5 when discussing the two next gen consoles together.

Appreciate your understanding on this guys.
No. 90% of the names you said don't float around for Microsoft's next gen Xbox.

People call it the next Xbox or by the different Codenames.
That's it. And that is also better than Xbox 4.

These topics are stupid.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Winamp skipped 4 and went straight to 5 because "Winamp 5 is so good we skipped a number", Xbox might do the same. Heh.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
They should just make it simple. Pull a windows 10 and skip a number. XBOX 5 to have marketing parity with PS5. If I were doing the brand image it would just be XBOX5 with the 5 being like a 'to the power of' number beside the last letter X.

Everyone can go back to just saying "XBOX" while still clearly being able to differentiate between generations.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
They will call it Xbox and release more powerful versions every 2 years or so.

I would love that actually.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm calling it Xbox Two because MS has really turned it around this gen but I'll never stop mocking how awful a name "Xbox One" is.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I love NextBox and I don't even buy Xbox game consoles. I'm sticking with that until the real title is unveiled. Which will probably be something like xXxBoxXx

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I am leaning towards the name "Xbox Two". Would fit nicely along side the Xbox One.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I could see them doing Xbox 5 too. They could say the Xbox One X was a generational leap, and that would allow them to get numbering parity with Playstation. They've done that before with Windows skipping 9 to get parity with Mac OS X.
Yup that's what'll happen if they do go that route. There is no way they'll call it Xbox 4 if Sony calls their console Playstation 5 simply since Xbox 4 sounds, well, like it's from a previous gen, in a dumb way.

I still think they'll keep thinking out of the box though. They haven't numbered a console yet, except for the 360 which was numbered for other reasons.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Gonna take a hardcore educated guess here and call it Xbox Infinite. It fits well with their future strategy. So I think the word Infinite fits pretty well.

Plus it's not a bad name to begin with imho.

Lockhart could be called Xbox Infinite
Anaconda could be Xbox Infinite X or Xbox Infinite Preimum or Xbox Infinite Pro

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I love these threads that intend to shut down discussion.
I think you are taking the "discussion" over what to temporarily call the next Xbox a little too seriously. Lmao.

Personally, I'm cool with "Xbox 4", "Xbox Two", or "Nextbox". "Xbox Scarlett" is technically more correct, as it uses an officially-announced codename, but I disfavor it because it's more wordy, and also doesn't lend itself to easy abbreviation (unlike XB2/XB4).

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
People couldn't stop others from calling it an "Xbone", what are your hopes to stop people from using any of those names for the hypothetical next Xbox?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
People couldn't stop others from calling it an "Xbone", what are your hopes to stop people from using any of those names for the hypothetical next Xbox?

I use that name as a term of endearment.

However, the marketing team need a slap for their poorly thought naming.
Always reminds me of this