• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
Returned to XIV for the first time since playing the beta in 2013, I'm enjoying it so far! Just about to do my Dragoon job quest, it's taken about ~3 days of solid playing to hit 30. Couple of questions to make sure I'll be getting the most out of the end game content:

-Will I be expected to join random vents/Discords for casual 8 and 24 mans? I'm a Jedi Shadow veteran from ToR, and every time I did an Operation (raid) I had to join a vent server, get gear checked, and duel a tank so they could see how well I knew my rotations. Is that normal here too if I don't join a free company? I just want to experience the content.

-It's been said that every class is viable. ToR at the time had a lot of sideeyes to DPS, and several times I'd hear "Oh man, another DPS." during Ops. While I don't want to chat much, I do want to be useful during raids and contribute towards the fun. One of the reasons I stopped ToR is because I felt like I'd be helping a lot more as a tank/healer, but didn't like the classes with those roles. I really enjoy Dragoons, though I'd like to try Samurai, Red Mage, and Gunbreaker too. So long as I can play any job competently, should I be okay for casual raids?

-Essentially, I love Dragoons in FF, but are there other more in demand/useful jobs I should consider leveling to make sure I do my part without having to dive deep into free companies/social stuff? For instance, the guy in the first video Seroun posted seemed tepid to Samurai versus most of the other jobs. Is that how most of the community feels? Should I stay away from that? Thanks.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Returned to XIV for the first time since playing the beta in 2013, I'm enjoying it so far! Just about to do my Dragoon job quest, it's taken about ~3 days of solid playing to hit 30. Couple of questions to make sure I'll be getting the most out of the end game content:

-Will I be expected to join random vents/Discords for casual 8 and 24 mans? I'm a Jedi Shadow veteran from ToR, and every time I did an Operation (raid) I had to join a vent server, get gear checked, and duel a tank so they could see how well I knew my rotations. Is that normal here too if I don't join a free company? I just want to experience the content.

-It's been said that every class is viable. ToR at the time had a lot of sideeyes to DPS, and several times I'd hear "Oh man, another DPS." during Ops. While I don't want to chat much, I do want to be useful during raids and contribute towards the fun. One of the reasons I stopped ToR is because I felt like I'd be helping a lot more as a tank/healer, but didn't like the classes with those roles. I really enjoy Dragoons, though I'd like to try Samurai, Red Mage, and Gunbreaker too. So long as I can play any job competently, should I be okay for casual raids?

-Essentially, I love Dragoons in FF, but are there other more in demand/useful jobs I should consider leveling to make sure I do my part without having to dive deep into free companies/social stuff? For instance, the guy in the first video Seroun posted seemed tepid to Samurai versus most of the other jobs. Is that how most of the community feels? Should I stay away from that? Thanks.
No you dont have to

Yes casual content is all done in duty finder typically so you just queue in on your current job to do them

Doesnt matter play what you like and just do your best at that job

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a relief to know this, thanks!
For the optional Extreme difficulty Raids and Trials you'll probably want to find a group and not go with randoms but they rarely ever do try outs or anything weird like that. Just read up on what to do beforehand or watch some videos. Some extra nice groups will even walk you through it for a few test runs.

I've found getting into the Extreme stuff as DPS rather difficult through the duty finder so that might also be another reason to find a group.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. With the exception of Coil of Bahamaut, the non-Savage/EX stuff is designed to just jump into. You don't even have to read guides beforehand as long as you're OK with figuring things out by dying. (Alexander raids in Heavensward might be an exception, a few of the fights there have some mechanics you can really mess up.)

Besides, a lot of old content has been soft nerfed into the ground by the way of overgearing / high item level cap. In the second Crystal Tower raid you skip entire boss phases because how fast you burn down bosses, and I will never stop bitching about this since I enjoyed that instance so much. :(

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I've found getting into the Extreme stuff as DPS rather difficult through the duty finder so that might also be another reason to find a group.
I think it's a great flaw of the game that sitting in a 2 hour queue for an Extreme trial that never happens is the way people are expected to learn that type of content should be done through the Party Finder, instead of the Duty Finder.

For me, it was hitting Level 50 and queueing for Leviathan Extreme. Eventually I did get into a group, we wiped twice, everyone left, and I wondered what the actual fuck I just wasted my time for. The game literally gives you the OPPOSITE indication by making the quest objective "The Whorleater (Extreme) can be accessed via the Duty Finder.". It really fucks you, but once you understand what the differences between the Duty and Party Finders are, that won't happen again.

The only way you would know that is if someone explicitly tells you "Hey, all those Extreme trials you unlock after finishing ARR, ya, don't queue for those like normal story Trials" before you get there. It's bullshit.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a great flaw of the game that sitting in a 2 hour queue for an Extreme trial that never happens is the way people are expected to learn that type of content should be done through the Party Finder, instead of the Duty Finder.

For me, it was hitting Level 50 and queueing for Leviathan Extreme. Eventually I did get into a group, we wiped twice, everyone left, and I wondered what the actual fuck I just wasted my time for. The game literally gives you the OPPOSITE indication by making the quest objective "The Whorleater (Extreme) can be accessed via the Duty Finder.". It really fucks you, but once you understand what the differences between the Duty and Party Finders are, that won't happen again.

The only way you would know that is if someone explicitly tells you "Hey, all those Extreme trials you unlock after finishing ARR, ya, don't queue for those like normal story Trials" before you get there. It's bullshit.
I think it was the result of so many people having poor experiences with randoms that nobody really bothers with queuing for it normally anymore. Extreme Levi is definitely the worst experience I've had with randoms but it did improve my skills a lot lol. I like at least having the option available though because I was able to do a few other Extreme trials through the duty finder without too much trouble and didn't need to go find a party for it. I just did errands and sidequests while queued.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was the result of so many people having poor experiences with randoms that nobody really bothers with queuing for it normally anymore. Extreme Levi is definitely the worst experience I've had with randoms but it did improve my skills a lot lol. I like at least having the option available though because I was able to do a few other Extreme trials through the duty finder without too much trouble and didn't need to go find a party for it. I just did errands and sidequests while queued.
for ex's party finder is the way to go, though a lot of pf groups arent great ether, though you can find good ones.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
What happens when you're on a cutscene when the Duty Finder finds a match? Will you be prompted to go or you'll just miss it?

I'm starting to hit a wall now with queues taking ~30 minutes as DPS yet I hesitate starting any cutscene-heavy quests because I don't like getting interrupted.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What happens when you're on a cutscene when the Duty Finder finds a match? Will you be prompted to go or you'll just miss it?

I'm starting to hit a wall now with queues taking ~30 minutes as DPS yet I hesitate starting any cutscene-heavy quests because I don't like getting interrupted.
The cutscene is immediately interrupted. When you return to the game world, you'll have to trigger the cutscene over again and start from the beginning.

When this happens, if I lost any more than a minute or two, I'd basically go on YouTube and watch the relevant scene there.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

To add onto what Feep said: if you're in a cutscene as the same job you queued as, it's not a big deal (just gonna have to start the cutscene over), but being in a cutscene as a job different from the one you queued as is a bigger problem. DF will not switch you over to whatever job you queued as, you must switch over yourself. Thus, if you're in a cutscene as Job A but a queue popped where you queued as Job B, your options are to A) skip the cutscene, switch jobs, accept, and then try to view the cutscene later via the inn or YouTube or B) withdraw.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the answers.

I think I'm going to learn Tanking in the meantime if I just want some quick DF or helping a low-level friend in early Dungeons. Is learning how to Tank with Gunbreaker a good idea? It starts at Level 60 so I assume it's kind of an advanced job.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017

I think I'm going to learn Tanking in the meantime if I just want some quick DF or helping a low-level friend in early Dungeons. Is learning how to Tank with Gunbreaker a good idea? It starts at Level 60 so I assume it's kind of an advanced job.
Starting with Gunbreaker is fine. They're really fun IMO so I'd actually recommend it. I wouldn't say they're more advanced, they just start at 60 because they were introduced in ShB; new jobs always start at a higher level. You will want to play around with the class once you get it though, as you do get 60 levels worth of abilities dumped on you right off the bat.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

On one hand, it feels the most like a DPS, and thus I think it could act as a good transition from DPS -> Tank.
On the other, it starts at level 60, and thus it allows people who can't even doggy paddle to dive straight into the deep end.

I don't know, you tell me. You gonna put in the effort to sort through and learn the large amount of shit that gets immediately dumped onto your bars? Or are you just gonna immediately dive into content without knowing what you're doing? If you're willing to put in the effort of reading your tooltips, using a training dummy, and maybe reading/watching some guides, go for it.

Last edited:

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing the free trail now and just reached lvl 50 with Ninja. If I want to try out Samurai, do I have to buy Stormblood? If so, would that affect the free trail I'm in the middle of?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So I'm playing the free trail now and just reached lvl 50 with Ninja. If I want to try out Samurai, do I have to buy Stormblood? If so, would that affect the free trail I'm in the middle of?
You'd have to buy the full game + Shadowbringers or the Complete Edition, both of which include Stormblood, which you do need to play Samurai.
Buying the full game ends your free trial.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

The good thing about learning to tank is that a lot of the mechanics are pretty universal so there's no bad tank to start with. But it's a good idea to try a lower dungeon first to get a feel for it. The thing to do is use your AOEs to pull enemies together and cycle through your damage reduction cooldowns. So use rampart, wait for it to end, use something like camoflauge, then you can slot in reprisal and arms length, and so on. This way you can soak damage for extended periods while your party focuses on damage.

Bosses and stuff are bit different but you'll get a feel for that from dungeons no problem.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

Like others have said, the job itself isn't necessarily more or less advanced than the other tanks out there, but since it does begin at level 60, I'd strongly encourage you to run older dungeons and trials to get used to tanking. When I leveled my Dark Knight, I literally went through the entire list of dungeons in order, and by the time I was tanking HW dungeons, I was very comfortable.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I'm really getting into this after trying a couple of times before. Just reached heavensward with my dragoon. The pacing of the msq is still kinda bad. Some of the trials and raid have pretty long wait times, when I just want to continue the story. I really do enjoy the group content though.

Only having experience with wow mostly, FFXIV really has a much more vibrant and lived in feel to me. There are always other players about and you feel much more connected to the NPCs and the world around you. Can't wait to experience heavensward and beyond. I really enjoyed the coerthas questing, so if it's more of that it's gonna be a treat.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Only having experience with wow mostly, FFXIV really has a much more vibrant and lived in feel to me. There are always other players about and you feel much more connected to the NPCs and the world around you. Can't wait to experience heavensward and beyond. I really enjoyed the coerthas questing, so if it's more of that it's gonna be a treat.
As an old WoW refugee myself, this was one of the things that stuck out to me as well. XIV is incredibly good at ensuring that players of all levels have a reason to be out in the world, and not just in the highest level areas, but everywhere. Same goes for group content. Roulettes are a very clever way of making sure there's always players running content no matter how old or low level it is. Queue times are still going to be a thing of course, especially as DPS and what hour of the day you play, but I've never had to give up on a queue because no one was running that content.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I just realized through the launcher that the Collector's Edition upgrade is 50% off. If I purchase this, do I immediately lose my free trial?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So I just realized through the launcher that the Collector's Edition upgrade is 50% off. If I purchase this, do I immediately lose my free trial?
You can't upgrade from the regular base game/expansion to the collector's edition of said base game/expansion without having the regular base game/expansion. You don't have anything to upgrade.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NIN to GNB here. Any tips on learning a new class/role? Thinking palace of the dead?

I miss being a NIN but now I'm on my yeehaw shit

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
NIN to GNB here. Any tips on learning a new class/role? Thinking palace of the dead?

If you're brand new to tanking then start off by watching a video or two on the basic concepts first of all. But as for gaining practice and confidence (very important for a main tank), I'd straight-up recommend running early-level dungeons and trials, preferably in order. By the time you've run everything up to the end of ARR, you'll have learned a lot and should be very comfortable.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're brand new to tanking then watch a video or two on the basic concepts first of all. But as for gaining practice and confidence (very important for a main tank), I'd straight-up recommend running early-level dungeons and trials, preferably in order. By the time you've run everything up to the end of ARR, you'll have learned a lot and should be very comfortable.

Okay, dope. Is there any reference for generally "useless" skills across all classes? Like stuff that is either bad or simply too niche to warrant a spot?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

PotD isn't that great for learning a new job since shit dies so fast.

Do some dungeon runs with your Squadron if you have it unlocked. Otherwise, do lower level dungeons. Don't jump into higher level content without knowing what you're doing.

Okay, dope. Is there any reference for generally "useless" skills across all classes? Like stuff that is either bad or simply too niche to warrant a spot?
IIRC BLM has some shit that they should have made upgrades to old skills instead of new skills, and thus you can omit the old ones that are basically replaced.

Other than that, you should have everything. For GNB specifically, you absolutely need everything.

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I can't speak to GNB since I haven't leveled one yet, but there's no reason I can think of not to have all of your skills and role actions on your hotbar. If you're on keyboard + mouse you'll need to use 3 hotbars, and if you're on controller you'll need to make use of the WXHB (double cross hotbar) to fit everything.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Walking around Lavender Beds feels like walking around a real wealthy neighborhood, where all the homes are owned by long term players and and companies and there's no chance in hell I'll ever have one.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Walking around Lavender Beds feels like walking around a real wealthy neighborhood, where all the homes are owned by long term players and and companies and there's no chance in hell I'll ever have one.
As someone who owns a medium house in the Lavender Beds: it's certainly not impossible. You just need gil, time, and some luck.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
It really do be like that. Living in The Goblet can sometimes feel like living in the slums compared to Lavender Beds or Shirogane haha

That said, if my group of chucklehead friends were able to buy a large plot in the Lavender Beds only a week after forming our FC, it's definitely possible to still buy a house there, you just have to be persistent.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It really do be like that. Living in The Goblet can sometimes feel like living in the slums compared to Lavender Beds or Shirogane haha
Goblet gets too much shit, IMO. People would have you believe that living in Goblet is a fate worse than death, but that area in the middle is really nice, IMO. Also, even if you hate Goblet, having a house in Goblet means you can get a house elsewhere way easier than someone who's homeless.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Goblet gets too much shit, IMO. People would have you believe that living in Goblet is a fate worse than death, but that area in the middle is really nice, IMO
Oh absolutely, it's the fact that the Goblet is a meme at this point that makes it feel like slum-life more than anything about the Goblet itself. That said, I wish the whole area looked as nice as the middle. Flipping through the ARR art book the other day and I was so bummed when I saw what it used to look like, because the original concept was a true desert oasis, which had the potential to be the best-looking of the three.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PotD isn't that great for learning a new job since shit dies so fast.

Do some dungeon runs with your Squadron if you have it unlocked. Otherwise, do lower level dungeons. Don't jump into higher level content without knowing what you're doing.

IIRC BLM has some shit that they should have made upgrades to old skills instead of new skills, and thus you can omit the old ones that are basically replaced.

Other than that, you should have everything. For GNB specifically, you absolutely need everything.

Oh, dont worry. I wouldnt waste someone else's time like that lol

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Housing is a complete shit show in this game. Supposedly some FC or small group of players somewhere actually managed to buy out the majority of a ward. This was a while ago and I have no idea whether SE was able to fix it. But after seeing that story, and seeing people sell the right to buy their plot for exorbitant amounts of gil, I became jaded with the whole thing. This on top of things like chocobo color changing being exclusive to chocobo stables, which can only be built on a house plot.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Housing is a complete shit show in this game. Supposedly some FC or small group of players somewhere actually managed to buy out the majority of a ward. This was a while ago and I have no idea whether SE was able to fix it. But after seeing that story, and seeing people sell the right to buy their plot for exorbitant amounts of gil, I became jaded with the whole thing. This on top of things like chocobo color changing being exclusive to chocobo stables, which can only be built on a house plot.
If SE did anything about it, then they missed some spots, because there's literally a ward on my server that's almost entirely owned by a single FC. I desperately hope the ward additions they make in 5.4 are significant and aren't just "we added two more wards."

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
New to the game and just finished the level 15 mission that takes you to the other cities. I never got into any MMORPG in the past, but the fact that this one doesn't have a subscription fee and is easy to solo has made me give it a chance. Not sure how far I will go in the game, but I have heard good things about it for years and figured it was time to finally give it a shot.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Supposedly some FC or small group of players somewhere actually managed to buy out the majority of a ward. This was a while ago and I have no idea whether SE was able to fix it.
There's a group of houses on basically every server that's owned by one* FC, but you're probably talking about Mew on Gilgamesh which wrote a huge wall of text justifying their actions

This on top of things like chocobo color changing being exclusive to chocobo stables, which can only be built on a house plot.
Apartments have chocobo stables outside.

If SE did anything about it, then they missed some spots, because there's literally a ward on my server that's almost entirely owned by a single FC.
They grandfathered in anyone who had housing before the change (the change being you can't buy a FC house if another one of your characters on the same server is in an FC that has a house). Also, the FC I linked above said SE removed that restriction two weeks after implementing it and just never updated the guide (the guide does say it's a temporary restriction), but I can't personally confirm that or find any other sourcing on it.

I desperately hope the ward additions they make in 5.4 are significant and aren't just "we added two more wards."
The max they've ever added is 6 but I'd bet on 3 more like with 5.1

Shit's never getting fixed, their long term solution is just adding more servers instead of actually fixing the system

*When you see houses "owned by the same FC", it's a group of players in an FC buying FC houses on alts and then using the same tag, it's not literally one in-game FC owning multiple houses

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped bothering with houses because I didn't want to be bound by the 45 days of inactivity timer.

Also I only really hung out by the bell and market board anyway, hah. An apartment will do fine for my storage needs.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo I started the free trial on a whim (PS4) and here are my early thoughts

- The story telling and presentation are ace
- The graphics are gorgeous, and it's a 7 year old game wtf
- Combat so far sucks, the gcd is huge. But I think it will get better once they introduce more combos and stuff
- The game is made to be played on a pad and it's great. I can't imagine playing wow on a pad, but this? It really works
- The map fucking sucks for some reason
- There are no jobs? You can change "classes" by changing the weapon? That's weird
- The UI is a mess, though it seems 100% customizable but I have the feeling I would have to spend all day doing that lol. I miss add-ons

I don't know if I'll keep on it because MMORPGs are huge time sinks but the overall impression is positive and better than I expected

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
- Combat so far sucks, the gcd is huge. But I think it will get better once they introduce more combos and stuff
This is pretty much correct. The slower GCD is there to give you room to "weave" in abilities between the GCD later on. Go look up some videos of how your class plays at higher levels to get an idea of just how fast-paced the combat gets.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Word of advice to newbies like me, DO THE HALL OF NOVICE!!!

I was in my 4th team duty or so and my team kept dying because I was a horrible tank. One of the other player's said I was by far the worst tank they've ever played with. Recognizing my shortcomings I went back and did the Hall of Novice lessons and wow what a difference that made to my game. I'm tanking like a champ now and haven't lost a group since.

So please learn from my mistakes and do the Hall of Novice lessons.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
New to the game and just finished the level 15 mission that takes you to the other cities. I never got into any MMORPG in the past, but the fact that this one doesn't have a subscription fee and is easy to solo has made me give it a chance. Not sure how far I will go in the game, but I have heard good things about it for years and figured it was time to finally give it a shot.

Just a heads up, FFXIV does have a subscription. The Free Trial is a huge chunk of the game, containing its base and the first expansion, Heavensward (although it is capped regarding some functionalities).

If you like it and want to go beyond that, you'll have to pay the sub.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
There's a group of houses on basically every server that's owned by one* FC, but you're probably talking about Mew on Gilgamesh which wrote a huge wall of text justifying their actions

Apartments have chocobo stables outside.

They grandfathered in anyone who had housing before the change (the change being you can't buy a FC house if another one of your characters on the same server is in an FC that has a house). Also, the FC I linked above said SE removed that restriction two weeks after implementing it and just never updated the guide (the guide does say it's a temporary restriction), but I can't personally confirm that or find any other sourcing on it.

The max they've ever added is 6 but I'd bet on 3 more like with 5.1

Shit's never getting fixed, their long term solution is just adding more servers instead of actually fixing the system

*When you see houses "owned by the same FC", it's a group of players in an FC buying FC houses on alts and then using the same tag, it's not literally one in-game FC owning multiple houses
Good to know apartments have stables. Man that wall of text...It honestly just reads like

Blame SE, we just playing the game. FYGM

In long form. Yeah the system is borked, but they pulled every justification they could for exploiting it. I mean, were the charts really necessary? Haha

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I'm having a blast as MNK. That may change on the harder instances but paying attention positionals and my forms is just scratching an itch for me. That said, eventually I will try other Jobs to flesh out my experience with the game. I've done a custom hotbar in order to streamline my experience with MNK. When I do switch back to it, is my setup permanently saved to my job or will I have to remap everything?

Also some dungeon specific questions:

I've ran Qarn multiple times, but for some reason the mini-boss that casts Doom screws me up everytime. You're supposed to stand on a glowing tile to remove it, which I attempt but it seems I fail regularly. Are you supposed to stand on the tile for a period of time?

In Haukke Manor I made it to the room right before the boss. My party all teleports. I try to use the bloody scroll and nothing happens. There's nothing in the room to trigger it. What did I do wrong?

I feel its important to ask stuff like this now before these mechanics bite me in the butt in later dungeons. I hate feeling like a nuisance.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I was in my 4th team duty or so and my team kept dying because I was a horrible tank. One of the other player's said I was by far the worst tank they've ever played with. Recognizing my shortcomings I went back and did the Hall of Novice lessons and wow what a difference that made to my game. I'm tanking like a champ now and haven't lost a group since.

Man, good for you. If someone said that to me I'd probably drop tanking forever lol. I had a pretty bad experience as a healer this past weekend where we wiped twice and I couldn't keep up with the tank and I just feel like I'm not cut out for the pressure at this point. I feel like playing a tank would make my anxiety even worse. I enjoy dungeons because it's the only time you actually use all your moves but I also hate feeling like a burden to people.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

It's worth doing even for people who aren't new to MMOs. The 30% bonus EXP ring (below lvl30) that you get is a pretty nice boost early on for leveling alt jobs.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I'm having a blast as MNK. That may change on the harder instances but paying attention positionals and my forms is just scratching an itch for me. That said, eventually I will try other Jobs to flesh out my experience with the game. I've done a custom hotbar in order to streamline my experience with MNK. When I do switch back to it, is my setup permanently saved to my job or will I have to remap everything?

Also some dungeon specific questions:

I've ran Qarn multiple times, but for some reason the mini-boss that casts Doom screws me up everytime. You're supposed to stand on a glowing tile to remove it, which I attempt but it seems I fail regularly. Are you supposed to stand on the tile for a period of time?

In Haukke Manor I made it to the room right before the boss. My party all teleports. I try to use the bloody scroll and nothing happens. There's nothing in the room to trigger it. What did I do wrong?

I feel its important to ask stuff like this now before these mechanics bite me in the butt in later dungeons. I hate feeling like a nuisance.
In Qarn just stay on the pad until the boss' cast finishes.

In Haukke only one person needs to pick it up so that's probably why you can't click on it. I'm sure your party told you but they were using /return to teleport back to the start of the dungeon since the last boss is right by the start. I'm pretty sure it's the only dungeon where you do that.