• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VR Capabilities

• Believer

Votes: 215 79.3%
  • Still a skeptic

Votes: 56 20.7%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
After success stories of Astrobot, Half Life Alyx and RE7VR / Skyrim VR, can we finally say that VR is now taken seriously as part of the medium?

71yu908rajl-acsl1500.jpg

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
VR is cool. But I like to say it's A future of video games, not THE future. I only have PSVR for now and the main issue I have is it's a pain to pull everything out and set it up to play, which is something that will become less and less of a problem as the technologies improve. I'm looking forward to how it develops.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
VR is cool. But I like to say it's A future of video games, not THE future. I only have PSVR for now and the main issue I have is it's a pain to pull everything out and set it up to play, which is something that will become less and less of a problem as the technologies improve. I'm looking forward to how it develops.
Kinda wanted to say the same.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I picked skeptic, but don't really like your options. I don't have anything against it, but after having PS VR for like a year or two, it's just not something I enjoy

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I've only tried VR once and that was on a field trip with my secondary school in 2013.

It was awesome. My mate has VR but the only things that have interested me is RIGS and Beat Sabre.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm definitely a believer.

Separate from concerns about adoption, cost, etc - I do believe some sort of VR will be part of the future of video games. It might not be now, it might not be for another 15 years, but I do think that the experience can be so good and different that it will happen one day.

Half-Life: Alyx is probably the most memorable game I've played since The Witcher 3 in 2015 and a huge part of that is due to the new way of experiencing video games via VR.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Still a skeptic. I personally would need something like the quest with the power of modern pc + foveated rendering before I really get into it. I have a gen 1 vive but rarely use it because of the setup required. I think mobile standalone headsets are the future in term of mainstream appeal.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Love VR (Only have psvr on a pro), as said before though its one of the future, it will coexist for a long long time, won't replace

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
What does it make me if I genuinely enjoy the experiences, but burn out on VR after about a month and then don't play it for a year?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
To me it depends on the games.

For example "Walking Sims", I only want to play in VR after finishing some without. Stuff like Subnautica in VR is a whole different beast and I am sad that the sequel is not in VR. A new Elder Scrolls I would also want in VR.
DMC, Sekiro etc. are different games that would not really work that well in VR.

Alyx is a whole new benchmark though.

I urge everyone to try out VR Chat too.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am 45.. bought psvr for my birthday.. I love it.. astro bot has me blown away every time I play it.. I thought vr was a gimmick.. but when it is done right it is a game changer.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I bought the PSVR at launch and stayed skeptic until i bought the Quest. Now i own 5 VR headsets.

I still believe wireless and the tracking Quest/Rift S uses is the future. Quest hasn't stayed in stock since middle of last year because of how easy it is use, requires no additional hardware is affordable. I'm way more interested in that VR tech than anything else.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Alyx is the most immersive game I've ever played, period.

I think developers putting in that much effort and time to make such experiences is going to be few-and-far-between until the tech becomes more accessible though.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm not sure which to pick. I like it, it works and it's very cool. I'm glad I have access to it.

That said it's also something that I only play 10% of the time vs standard games because it's also a bit of a pain to deal with, and I feel that as-is it will always be niche.

Which option does that make me?

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that the most exciting part of the next generation is seeing how VR evolves with it.

There is so much potential and I can't wait to see what improved hardware and VR tech will allow developers to do.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
vr is good but i only like it for very specific games like sims, such as space sims and flight sims

don't like it in stuff like shooters or where your avatar has to move around.

for me i am happy with it being good for cockpit-like environments.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There were moments in HL:A where I kind of lost myself in the game and what was going on. Felt incredible.

edit: vive w/index control in small room

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I know VR will be big someday but PSVR and is weak hardware being my only real exposure to it so far, I'm still not completely sold.
RE7VR is a game changer.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
VR/AR is guaranteed to end up being essential in many industries once the technology reaches a sufficiently convenient form factor. It's usefulness and utility is unquestionable. VR gaming experiences seem now the most important focus but actually it'll end up being secondary to its practical uses. VR gaming will get much more immersive but I'm not sure it'll ever get to that point where you feel like you're there physically present, at least not with home VR.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Both? It's great for some experiences, including augmenting some games that otherwise have nothing to do with VR, but I certainly don't want to play every game in VR--or even most of them. And for that reason, I am skeptical as to its future as a platform given its usage is so much more conditional than typical systems.

Also, pretty much this post:
I'm not sure which to pick. I like it, it works and it's very cool. I'm glad I have access to it.

That said it's also something that I only play 10% of the time vs standard games because it's also a bit of a pain to deal with, and I feel that as-is it will always be niche.

Which option does that make me?

For as much as I enjoy some games in VR, it still feels like a burden even when using the Quest, which is arguably the least burdensome headset imo

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
I am a believer. I believe that we have the tech to bring immersive virtual worlds into people's homes. However, I do believe we're still a ways off from a truly wireless experience that can match the visuals and tracking performance of that of a wired, high end system. Once we have that and an extremely low cost of entry then it will appeal to the masses. Also, comfort is another complex problem that must be solved. I don't want to play an rpg with a headset strapped to my face for hours at a time.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado
I am a VR believer, but with some skepticism. I bought an Oculus DK2 back in 2014, and then an HTC Vive Pro this year for HL: Alyx.
HL:A proved to me that VR can be extremely incredible, impressive, and immersive, but after finishing HL:A and looking around Steam, it's clear that there's still a huge lack of VR experiences that are of that kind of "AAA" caliber.

I love the smaller experiences like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, and even VTOL, but there's still a lack of big single player experiences developed exclusively for VR. I think we'll start to see more in the next couple years as I hope PSVR2 matches the current high end PC VR headsets.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I like VR, but I can't spend as much time in a VR headset as I can just watching the TV set.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I was a believer from the first time I tried gear VR at best buy before buying it. The only way you could be a skeptic is if you have 0 vision for the future and can only see things for how they are now and not the slimmer, better performance path all tech takes. The Quest is already a completely different device from when it launched A YEAR AGO and this is the 1.0 version. We are basically beta testing a new tech and it's still crazy fun

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has a place in the future, I just don't think it should or will replace traditional games either. Not really a good middle ground option for your poll rn.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely has a place in the future, I just don't think it should or will replace traditional games either. Not really a good middle ground option for your poll rn.

then you're a believer. I'm not saying it will replace traditional games lol
I did say "part of the medium". I'd understand if I said "it'll be the medium".

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a believer, but I need more games for it. None of the more arcade style/simulator/experiences have done anything for me, and at least on PSVR there's not a lot of games that feel like actual 'flat games', if that makes sense. I don't necessarily want to be able to interact with everything in a world: RE7 is probably my favourite so far and that has little to no interaction whatsoever, yet it feels perfect for VR.
My big problem is that a lot of made for VR stuff are too focused on the tactile side of stuff to the point where it feels like one of those edutainment games like Freddi Fish where you can interact with stuff solely for the sake of interacting with them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it for abstract games where you're travelling through some kind of neon/psychadelic void -- Rez, Polybius, Tetris Effect, Beat Saber.

For games where the graphics are trying to approximate the real world (or at least a realistic world), I don't think it is so hot.

To get a really immerisve effect you have to do VR at room scale. Just sitting or standing in place doesn't cut it.

I don't think many games really do combat all that well. it's mostly better for walking around and exploring areas.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm a believer. My expectation is that one day VR gaming is going to be at least as popular as traditional gaming, and mainstream well before that. The idea that it's going to be niche is always accompanied with flawed arguments like how the technology is bulky as if that can't be fixed, or how it has certain unfixable issues that can certainly be fixed.

I can see VR completely changing the world beyond gaming as well with lots of use for the average consumer.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR/AR is guaranteed to end up being essential in many industries once the technology reaches a sufficiently convenient form factor. It's usefulness and utility is unquestionable. VR gaming experiences seem now the most important focus but actually it'll end up being secondary to its practical uses. VR gaming will get much more immersive but I'm not sure it'll ever get to that point where you feel like you're there physically present, at least not with home VR.
You'd be surprised. I've spent some time in light-field captures and photogrammetry bedrooms and they are basically perfectly convincing aside from artefacts and the llimited specs of the headset. In a decade, I could easily see VR being indistinguishable from reality in various ways - just not all the time.

Don't forget you'll have volumetric 360 videos you can move in as well. That would give the feeling of a moving scene that is truly perfectly lifelike.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Used the Quest a bunch, both in native wireless mode, Link via cable, and Link via WiFi.

VR, in it's current cumbersome, bulky, ergonomically-unfriendly and intensely isolating form, is a non-starter.

The current reality of VR is fine for short play sessions and for limited VR "experiences", but it is not a competent display platform for mass adoption in the ways that TVs and monitors are.

I don't doubt VR will get there one day, but it wont look anything like what VR is today.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tried the Rift originally and loved it.. ended up getting a PSVR and was burnt out on it due to overpriced games.. motion sickness got a LOT worse with it.. took a chance and just bought an Oculus Quest and it's sold me on it again. No sickness so far.

The biggest drawback are the evangelicals. I get it, I've been excited for it since the early 90s. So much that I considered switching colleges for the program they had at UNCCh at the time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The biggest quality and default of VR is that it cut you out of the real world. And there is a big amount of reasons to not be able to do it.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
You'd be surprised. I've spent some time in light-field captures and photogrammetry bedrooms and they are basically perfectly convincing aside from artefacts and the llimited specs of the headset. In a decade, I could easily see VR being indistinguishable from reality in various ways - just not all the time.

Don't forget you'll have volumetric 360 videos you can move in as well. That would give the feeling of a moving scene that is truly perfectly lifelike.
Oh yeah, visually for sure, I meant more in terms of being able to feel force feedback, touch, etc throughout your body in a believable fashion. And then the issue with locomotion that, so far, I don't think there's yet a good solution for that either.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's a neat feature but way too taxing to try for extended periods of time and I don't really find any of the games all that interesting. I have yet to play HL Alyx though.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I've been playing VR games for the last year and a half and I absolutely love it. Playing stuff like RE7, No Man's Sky and Wipeout Omega Collection has been such an amazing experience that constantly blows my mind with how immersed I get. My only real complaint is that the PSVR is a bit of a pain to set up.

Even on Switch I've had a great time with Labo VR, putting at least 20 or so hours into BotW. probably my favourite VR game so far (despite not really counting) even if the low resolution is very noticeable and the framerate leaves much to be desired. Smash in VR has been pretty great aswell. Actually playing it is basically impossible, but setting up some cpus to fight and flying through stages like Port Town Aero Dive is an absolute sight to behold.

Faboo

Banned
Sep 18, 2018
Got a Quest in November, still skeptical. I bought 5 or 6 games during the first few weeks, which is fine. Had lots of fun. However, now I feel like every time I turn it on, I am being pressured to spend £20 or more on the latest great title to hit the store.

I don't think that the prices are great. Even when a sale pops up (I feel like there are 5 sales a week due to Oculus notifying me on my phone), I still feel like I'm not getting my money's worth for what could turn out to be... a couple of hours (?) of distraction. But then it also feels like you almost need to justify the purchase of the headset by constantly buying newer and newer content.

I like it, but the investment after buying the headset is something to bear in mind.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Even on Switch I've had a great time with Labo VR, putting at least 20 or so hours into BotW. probably my favourite VR game so far (despite not really counting) even if the low resolution is very noticeable and the framerate leaves much to be desired.

Isn't it funny how that works? BotW is also my favorite VR experience despite the game doing very little to accommodate it (and the screen resolution being pretty low.) I've started going back the last few nights and am having an absolute blast.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Isn't it funny how that works? BotW is also my favorite VR experience despite the game doing very little to accommodate it (and the screen resolution being pretty low.) I've started going back the last few nights and am having an absolute blast.

I'm so tempted to just grab my Switch now and start up a new playthrough in VR. I think it really helps that even if the implementation of VR isn't necessarily the best the underlying game is still BotW so the experience will still be fun. It's gonna be so disappointing if VR is axed in the sequel.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I believe we still have some iterating to do before it is ideal, but there are already incredible games that show the incredible potential of VR. It is going to stay pretty niche for the immediate future, though.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I'm so tempted to just grab my Switch now and start up a new playthrough in VR. I think it really helps that even if the implementation of VR isn't necessarily the best the underlying game is still BotW so the experience will still be fun. It's gonna be so disappointing if VR is axed in the sequel.

Do it! That's pretty much what happened for me; was super early into a Master Mode file when the VR update it and I switched over to playing exclusively with it. I also hope that VR makes the cut in BotW2...though I'm not expecting it.

And while I agree they could have done more to enhance the VR in BotW (say repositioning some of the HUD), I think it's the fact that (as you touched on) the game can stand alone without it is what makes it such a compelling offering in VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Since PSVR launched, I'd say 90% of the games I've bought were VR games. There's so many new types of games available with this medium, standard games/genres just aren't as interesting anymore. Although some standard games are transformed in VR(WipEout Omega).

I already had Moves, but I did buy the Aim controller as well for all the extra possibilities.

I love it. Eagerly waiting for PSVR2, and considering a Quest as I don't have/want a gaming PC.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's not comfortable enough and you can't do it for a really long time.

The tech is great but not ready for prime time IMO. Has to be way smaller and people have to be able to use it for extended periods of time or else the medium has to be adjusted for shorter games.

I would rather VR become the new arcades with the current tech. I think it's perfectly suited and you could make some great set ups for it .

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
There are very few non vr games that I get excited for these days.

VR brought the magic back that gaming had when I was a child.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm 100% in. I think it's a great experience today and it's only going to get better. Can't wait to see the next gen of HMDs.

Need to see much more investment on the software side which should come when the userbase grows.