• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Also, Spanish, Mexican and latin people in general are easily mixed when devs have no idea of what they're doing. There is so MUCH differece between these cultures, so rich, so beautiful, only to end up with a Mariachi skin.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
As someone from the North Caucasus, we have Imran Zakhaev and that "yob tvoyu mat" dude from MGR. That's it.

fbnaulin

Mar 15, 2018
Non-Brazilian South Americans also have it pretty rough. Hell, so many Hispanics are American Hispanics that you could make a case for Hispanics in general. It'll be a cold day in hell before someone speaks Quechua or Guarani in a game.

Yeah. Mapuche (Chile/Argentina) inclusion in Civilization VI was pretty surprising. Even when we can discuss their historical accuracy, the general feeling was done right.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm not surprised about the lack of South Asians in Japanese games (though there are plenty of South Asians in Japan - I was one, for several years and the "celebrity" Lola is even half Bengali). But in Western, particularly US games, it's a bit surprising because of the large number of South Asian programmers, many relatively recent immigrants from South Asia. Working in tech, I've had engineering teams composed largely of Chinese and South Asians (particularly Indians).

That said, I see some possible reasons why; recent immigrants don't tend to worry about "representation" (my parents don't worry about it very much, whereas I, born in the US do) for a variety of reasons (they are more worried about making a living, they don't have the same minority experiences as their children, they may socialize with their own ethnic community). As a South Asian designer, I also have seen far fewer South Asian in creative fields like writing, design, and art so they have less input into those decisions (South Asian education tends to emphasize rote memorization which works in limited fashion for the sciences and programming but less effectively in creative work. My own parents couldn't even conceive of art as a viable career field - I had to pivot in my 30s from a more "traditional" career). Even people like Aziz Ansari (ugh), Kumail Nanjiani, Mindy Kaling, and Hasan Minaj would have been unimaginable when I was growing up.

One interesting side note is while South Asians tend not to be well represented in video games, our cultures (particularly Hinduism, Indian-style Buddhism, and then Arab and Persian which influence South Asia, particularly South Asian Muslims) shows up as window dressing often, though even that's wrong many times. Two recent examples come to mind:

1. In Persona 5, in the Pyramid level, there are pyramids...but the text on signs is clearly South Asian.
2. The rebooted Prince of Persia does not look like he's Persian.

Finally, I think there's a difference between cultural representation of South Asians (a term than can include Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and even perhaps Nepal) vs. people on thread complaining about representation of their individual country, as it's not the same argument (though leave it to the thread to conflate the two). It's a huge shared culture (with definite differences, for sure) being ignored. I don't think there's a "worst" for any number of reasons (all POC need better representation, whether it's more characters or more effective voices for those represented), but considering the number of South Asians in tech as programmers, it is surprising.

This speaks to me on so many levels.

It think there needs to be a more defined understanding of what people mean by representation-

• Is it representation of a specific non white person and his/her/their culture and nationality like Symmetra? Or
  • Is it representation of a PoC entwined with western culture with south Asian heritage like Chloe and Ajay Ghale?

If it is the former then it is a highly unlikely things would change from western developers because not only the level of onus to the latter vastly different but the amount of research and potential cultural pitfalls that would need exploring would make it an expensive proposition for every game. For this to be mainstream, it would take game development houses pushing games with home grown characters within south Asian countries in international market; somehing japan has essentially mastered.

If it is the latter then it is essentially us, citizens, children of immigrants saying something akin to "no taxation without representation". Feature us like one would feature African American or American Latinx etc. The bar for accidentally offending on the basis of cultural oversight may also be significantly lower because of cultural amalgamation.

I guess this is why "generic white guy" has its appeal- can fit almost anywhere in anyway with the lowest margin for causing offence.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'll never understand how anyone thought this was the case, I always knew she was non-white. The Uncharted 2 art book even describes her as such (though it doesn't specifically say she's Indian).

I didn't realise she wasn't white but that just goes to show how dumb "racial classification" is.
Weird how people in the middle east can be as pale as Europeans but aren't classed as white. Weird that central Asia has a ton of white skinned people but they probably wouldn't be classed as white. Skin tone can vary a lot even in Europe.
White is most likely just another fancy way of saying "European Christian". Which is actually how Europe in the old days distinguished itself from other regions.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I think in Western Media in general.

I'm not South Asian myself but out of all the major minorities they by far have the least representation and are always stereotyped.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Tenzin from UC2 is Tibetan and is a badass.

Pretty much the Tibet Nathan Drake except without the cockiness.

Jago from Killer Instinct is a Tibetan monk and is one of the poster boys of the decades long franchise......

Last edited:

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil representation is really bad outside of fighting games, 5yh largest country in size and population and the only time we are remembered for is because we are good at martial arts.
Yeah, even Nasu who does a lot of research on Historical figures really drop the ball when writing Quetzalcoatl's character summary, by stating she was a Mexico and South American god. At least the fans were smart enough to categorize her in the right location.
It sure hurt so see a mexican god instead of a brazilian one wear a carnival costume

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Does Brazil not count part of South America? Because I can think of plenty of Brazilians fighters.

I can too. Most of the time they're naked women or green monkey men. Wow, i feel so much better!

Sometimes little representation is better than perpetuating a bad representation.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Mudman from World Heroes

mudman-ngbtaunt.gif

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
No, we actually get fairly decent representation these days. South Americans, Polynesians and East Asians like Thai, Vietnamese and Phillipinos have it way worse.

Ubi games will end up having an Indian character or something Indian in pretty much all game somewhere.

-Syndicate had Jaydeep Mir or Henry Green as he goes by in that game who was the Grandmaster of London Order and also the love interest of your main character. A few other Indian character sinnthe game though not as prominent.

-Farcry 4 had Ajay Ghale and was set in North India/Nepal with a majority of chatacters being South Asian and voiced by South Asians.

-Watch Dogs 2 had Sitara who's Indian.

-Beyond Good and Evil 2 is a multicultural game with a city called Ganesh City that has a huge statue of Hindu deity Lord Ganesh as a prominent structure in the city. Game also has murals of Lord Shiva and tons of usage of devnagri script.

DCJl5f7XoAE91l1.jpg

- Even something like Rainbow Six Siege has a British Indian operator (mute)

Then of course you have Rani Laxibai in Order 1886 and a few other games that I either can't instantly recall or are smaller titles (like AC Chronicles India). Hitman 2 had a level set in Mumbai, that in itself is a representation too.

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
It's crazy, how long the industry been around, that there's barely any of those sort of leads.
I'm not sure why that's surprising. Look at how long the Hollywood film industry has been around, and then think about how bad minority representation has been for decades -- two of the biggest Hollywood headlines last year were specifically about the surprising box office success of movies with predominantly non-Anglo casts (Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians). Video gaming is still in its infancy by comparison.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise she wasn't white but that just goes to show how dumb "racial classification" is.
Weird how people in the middle east can be as pale as Europeans but aren't classed as white. Weird that central Asia has a ton of white skinned people but they probably wouldn't be classed as white. Skin tone can vary a lot even in Europe.
White is most likely just another fancy way of saying "European Christian". Which is actually how Europe in the old days distinguished itself from other regions.
Plus mixed race kids can end up looking like anything. I know two sisters half white and half Indian. One looks Indian the other looks white...so go figure lol. It's stupid stuff

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple games with South Asian representation most people haven't played -

Agni: Queen of Darkness (PC) - It was a conversion of Irrational Games' cancelled project, The Lost. It felt kind of incomplete but I liked playing through it. I think I wrote the only review of it in English back in 2008 but it's gone now. There's some Hindi in it but it's an action game and totally playable without Hindi knowledge.

27d4a18769227c9f0649a46636ba4445

And Maharaja for the Famicom is a neat adventure/RPG. It has some 8-bit grinding to deal with but it's worth checking out and has a translated rom.
1453screenshot1.png

labx

Oct 25, 2017
MedellĂ­n, Colombia
If you are American, Japanese or Chinese you'll find countless games that put your people and your country at the center of the story. They are big markets with plenty of big acttive studios.

You meant NORTH AMERICAN, right? America, the continent divided by three subcontinents (south, central, north), it's mostly represented in video games and in general by the northern society and culture.

Mostly is a vague representation of Central American culture with Mexico. And don't even start with South America minimizing all the cultures to the Brazilian.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if I'm the only one who got a little annoyed by Wonder Black in The Wonderful 101. They said he was Indian and slapped a bindi on him, but basically everything else about him suggested that they were thinking of a black American; they even made it a point that he was going to school in America so he wasn't even stationed in India despite being the Indian guy. The entire game was playing with cliched and stereotypical characters, so that made it come across to me either that they couldn't think of anything interested to do with Indian stereotypes, or they weren't confident enough that the character they came up with Wonder Black broke enough away from the stereotypes to be acceptable.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread - "25% of the worlds population has maybe .5% representation in video games."

Era dude thinking this is wokelympics - "You know this other group has even less......"

Jan 9, 2018
Just wanted to jump in to say, as a South Asian, yeah representation really sucks. It'll get better with time, is my hope anyway. There's upcoming games like Indivisible where the protagonist, Ajna, is heavily inspired by Hinduism and that is really cool imo. Christianity have so many different interpretations of their religion, so it's just nice to see people having fun with and respecting my religion at once.

I'm not looking for proper representation of me or people like me, not that I wouldn't like to see an actual cool Tamil character in like anything, but I'm just looking to see parts of my culture represented in fun and respectful ways, I guess. And I will continue to hope that it'll get better soon.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Thread - "25% of the worlds population has maybe .5% representation in video games."

Era dude thinking this is wokelympics - "You know this other group has even less......"

I too would appreciate these discussions not being framed as competitions, pitting marginalized groups against one another. And it'd be great if people didn't respond to threads that way.

OP
OP

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Would it be to late for me change the thread title or is the thread to off track now? lol

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
On mobile, apologies if this was said before already but I believe Final Fantasy X is set in a fantasy land inspired by southeast asia. I believe the characters are southeast asian as well. See Tidus and Wakka, and a bunch of NPCs.

Apologies if I'm being ignorant.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Yeah I can't think of a single main character off the top of my head. Even Chloe, I just thought was white in UC2 (it's been 10 years though) until Lost legacy came out and I read she was half Indian.

The gap really is crazy when you compare population on this planet :p

Jan 9, 2018
On mobile, apologies if this was said before already but I believe Final Fantasy X is set in a fantasy land inspired by southeast asia. I believe the characters are southeast asian as well. See Tidus and Wakka, and a bunch of NPCs.

As someone who isn't an FF fan, I never would've guessed lol. I see Tidus' model is pretty brown according to Google Images, but his artwork is very fair-skinned and he has blond hair. Might be because of the anime aesthetic that they were chasing, but the character doesn't look South Asian anyways. That doesn't mean it's bad representation or that it doesn't count, but it does mean some people probably didn't catch on.

I believe FFX was actually inspired by Okinawa? I remember reading Nobuo Uematsu specifically went there to find inspiration to write Suteki Da Ne.
Tidus, Wakka looks nothing like South East Asians.

And that explains everything lol. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Dismissing Concerns Surrounding Representation
What's the big deal in being rendered in a video game?
Isn't it better to get equal opportunity for education, jobs, citizenship, etc?

I've seen teh tarik in FFXV trailers. Does it count?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Dorian from Dragon Age isn't explicitly south Asian since yanno it's not set on earth but the devs have confirmed he's the same ethnicity as his actor who is Indian.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah i never thought about it before but the only thing I think of when I think of South Asian realated things in games are the gods in Asuras Wrath

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I am not trying to be offensive with this comment but do you think African-Americans have just been more vocal about transformation and representation in Western Media than South Asians, Latino's etc. ? I just feel that is the case and that is why threads like this are necessary as an exercise in social consciousness.

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
What's the big deal in being rendered in a video game?
Isn't it better to get equal opportunity for education, jobs, citizenship, etc?

I've seen teh tarik in FFXV trailers. Does it count?
Put yourself in someone else's shoes. Imagine never playing a videogame where someone who looks like you is the main hero, or shown in a positive light except in the form of a stereotype.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I believe FFX was actually inspired by Okinawa? I remember reading Nobuo Uematsu specifically went there to find inspiration to write Suteki Da Ne.

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah I can't think of a single main character off the top of my head. Even Chloe, I just thought was white in UC2 (it's been 10 years though) until Lost legacy came out and I read she was half Indian.

Yup, I thought the same. There really was no indication in the games (except, apparently, Lost Legacy). The way media works, is audiences like us are conditioned to think of white and straight as the default. We need overt confirmation otherwise to think that way. It sucks.

I am not trying to be offensive with this comment but do you think African-Americans have just been more vocal about transformation and representation in Western Media than South Asians, Latino's etc. ? I just feel that is the case and that is why threads like this are necessary as an exercise in social consciousness.

I'd say this is right. My parents weren't ever advocating for better representation because they were immigrants just hoping to find a place in Canada. As someone born and raised in Canada, I actually care. And so it's something I'll discuss and advocate for, but I probably never would have if it wasn't for threads like these helping me to realize I don't need to be silent. That I can ask for better.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who isn't an FF fan, I never would've guessed lol. I see Tidus' model is pretty brown according to Google Images, but his artwork is very fair-skinned and he has blond hair. Might be because of the anime aesthetic that they were chasing, but the character doesn't look South Asian anyways. That doesn't mean it's bad representation or that it doesn't count, but it does mean some people probably didn't catch on.

And that explains everything lol. Thanks.

Ok, did my research this time. Final Fantasy is indeed set in an inspired by South East Asia, Thailand, and Japan setting. From the wikipedia itself:

Set in the fantasy world of Spira, a setting influenced by the South Pacific, Thailand and Japan,[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spira_(Final_Fantasy)#Concept_and_creation

Bonus points because it also represents Central Asia, in particular Zanarkand being inspired by Samarkand in Uzbekistan ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samarkand )

Wakka is apparantely austronesian, at least according to the FF wiki: https://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Wakka#Personality

In summary, FFX was a pretty big game (still is, and is about to come out on Switch), and it's an example of south(east) Asian representation.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
As some one from South Asia myself, I honestly dont care that much, but it would be cool to see nonetheless. FarCry 4 and UCLL had south asian settings. Hitman 2 has a Mumbai level.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Diverse international teams definitely help but you need the local industry to really drive the local cultural representation. It will take a while but it will happen.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Krishna in SMTIV Apocalypse appears as an Indian man. He's a villain, although you can also eventually get him as a party member.

latest