• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Sooo I binge-watched the 1st season in a matter of a few days, and I just watched 1st episode of season 2 earlier today, and I'm honestly fucking hooked!

A friend called me out on it being partly because if it's a show/movie about a man/woman in space, I'm gonna fucking love it, and honestly, yeah that's a decent way to describe my taste I guess. I just really love Scifi.

But the other culprit here being the fact this show was created by Ronald D. Moore, who also is the person who created my favorite show ever, Battlestar Galactica (2003). So I'm not surprised to see that I'm falling head over heels for this show as well. He's working his magic well, and I recognize his craft and talent behind it, for sure. God I love it all!

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season goes, I expect it to go hard. I'm here for the ride, and oh boy am I gonna enjoy it!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
But the other culprit here being the fact this show was created by Ronald D. Moore, who also is the person who created my favorite show ever, Battlestar Galactica (2003). So I'm not surprised to see that I'm falling head over heels for this show as well. He's working his magic well, and I recognize his craft and talent behind it, for sure. God I love it all!

Not sci-fi, but Moore also did Outlander which is very popular. Early seasons are well done, but a little too sappy for me.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo I binge-watched the 1st season in a matter of a few days, and I just watched 1st episode of season 2 earlier today, and I'm honestly fucking hooked!

A friend called me out on it being partly because if it's a show/movie about a man/woman in space, I'm gonna fucking love it, and honestly, yeah that's a decent way to describe my taste I guess. I just really love Scifi.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season goes, I expect it to go hard. I'm here for the ride, and oh boy am I gonna enjoy it!

So say we all!

Btw, Vanity Fair has a glowing review of the second season:

www.vanityfair.com

Astronaut Drama For All Mankind Has a Stellar Second Season

This AppleTV+ production has gotten less attention than Ted Lasso or The Morning Show—but it’s well worth your time.

Looking forward to where this is going.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Not sci-fi, but Moore also did Outlander which is very popular. Early seasons are well done, but a little too sappy for me.

Yeah, I watched 3 seasons of Outlander, but it's much, much less my kind of thing. It's too soapy and... at least in the first seasons, too rapey for my own taste. I just grew tired of it and stopped there, and I don't think I wanna watch the last 2 seasons.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

BSG is indeed the best show of all time, or right up there. That is all.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.macrumors.com

Apple CEO Tim Cook Visited 'For All Mankind' Set and 'Got Lost' in Consoles and Keyboards

"For All Mankind" is one of Apple's most popular TV shows, and to promote the launch of the second season, series creator Ronald D. Moore...
Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the set of "For All Mankind," and Moore says that during his visit, he "got lost" in the vintage consoles and the keyboards that were used in the show. Moore says that he was warmly received in Cupertino, and it was clear that the show interested Apple "emotionally and very personally" as well as in a business sense.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

YES. YES.

I remember watching the trailer for S2 of the show and one of my favorite moments was simply reading BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. That's how much I adore that show. Watching the first season I was afraid I would have to "force" myself to like it simple because Ronald D. Moore was involved, but the show surprised me big time. I did not expect it to be this good.

I'm really happy this is already renewed for S3. This is top tier sci-fi.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Ed... that decision seems fraught with peril. Tough love is not the way to deal with Gordo. Can he rise to the occasion?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Bah I can't watch this until tonight but excited. Also excited to read that the back half of the season is quite great considering I already think it started off solid.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It was a bad call if you ask me. It might be coming up from a good place, but space missions are not therapy sessions. We'll see if Ed's faith in Gordo pays off.

Anyway, I found it a slow episode. Two things stood out to me: I'm surprised astronauts can be that... loose with their lifes. Both Tracy and Gordo don't look to be in tip-top shape and/or are quite distracted. The other one is: loved the negative pressure scene!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed that episode. Very little space stuff but I love the family drama side of it maybe even more.

That was SOME performance from Michael Dorman in that episode. Went through every spectrum of emotion in 60 minutes. Can't believe Ed trying the tough love thing on him that worked so well on his son last season. He means well but fuck, Gordo needs professional help. This will end well...

Those scenes of Gordo giving talks to country clubs (or whatever they are) are heartwrenching. You can literally see him dying inside as he does them.

Molly in total denial of whats going to happen to her but showing signs of cracking.

Interesting that John Lennon is still alive in this alternate history!

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Great post. I started the show last week and ended up binging it over the weekend. BSG is one of my fav shows too.

I'm really interested to see how far it goes. Given the mention of the Mars plan being a decade being I don't think we'll see them landing on Mars until Season 4 or further away. The alternate history is getting really interesting too - better technology, a more diverse crew (an Irish woman in space!), pop culture and political changes (Prince Charles married Camilla, so Diana, Harry and William are not a thing!), Pope John Paul II killed, etc. Exciting stuff.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Really enjoyed that episode. Very little space stuff but I love the family drama side of it maybe even more.

That was SOME performance from Michael Dorman in that episode. Went through every spectrum of emotion in 60 minutes. Can't believe Ed trying the tough love thing on him that worked so well on his son last season. He means well but fuck, Gordo needs professional help. This will end well...

Those scenes of Gordo giving talks to country clubs (or whatever they are) are heartwrenching. You can literally see him dying inside as he does them.

Molly in total denial of whats going to happen to her but showing signs of cracking.

Interesting that John Lennon is still alive in this alternate history!

I didn't get that from Molly. I think she is 100% aware of what is happening to her (or what will happen eventually), but she wants to keep going forward until she can't anymore. Right now she just wants to keep it to herself.

Jan 29, 2018
Surprised Tracy can just miss astronaut training like that and not get in trouble. Guess she's kind of a celebrity.

Starting to feel like this season won't end well for Molly or Gordo.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I loved the 'it gets 60 miles on a charge!', "What's its top speed?", '65mph', exchange.

This show is just such a hidden gem, I'm surprised more people don't talk about it.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ed picking Gordo is insane and if was his supervisor and found out about it I'd fire him on the spot. He's not sure that this guy is up for it or fully capable, thus jepordizing the mission and the life of the entire crew. Wack.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Wubbo Ockels would have loved seeing himself so prominently in this series. He's no longer among us but as the first Dutch astronaut he remains a legend. And yes, his name sounds just as silly in Dutch as in English.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuck this show is good. The BSG service-camaraderie is present and fits so good to NASA.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I love the relationship between the old school astronauts. It's awesome to see how tight they all are. Also being living legends and running the program they spearheaded. Ed choosing Gordo the way he did was not in with his character at all. It was a piece of bad writing, but I'll chalk it up to Ed's old school upbringing and his own trauma affecting his personal judgment.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this episode but Gordo going to the moon when he is a wreck is a disaster waiting to happen. Ed is letting his feelings cloud his judgement again.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Binged first season recently, caught up with the second season.

S1 was alright, except NASA and its astronauts seem to often be stupidly reckless, and the family drama was a real drag. Good way to kill time at least.

First episode S2 was great because it stepped away from the more generic soap opera trappings the first season was loaded with, but on the second episode we're back to that stuff it seems. And I can't believe they're putting Gordo back on the moon lol.

Personally I think this concept would be a good deal better if it also showed things from the soviet side or explored the relationship between both countries/space programs more deeply.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've got a feeling that salty red-haired astronaut will be the one chosen for the USA-USSR meeting in space, as they want someone young, and he's going to fuck it up enormously.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Either I just got into it after a while or season 1 got progressively better, at least I eventually sped up my binge watch and then sped through the first two eps of s2 and now I can't binge anymore. Anyway I really like the down to earth look at a more exciting timeline in space travel.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Gordo looks so different. I didn't recognise him.
Is it a suit or did the actor gain weight?

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
When does episode 3 drop? I need it. Got hooked on this so bad last week that I watched everything so far in like 2 days, and I just started rewatching.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
When does episode 3 drop? I need it. Got hooked on this so bad last week that I watched everything so far in like 2 days, and I just started rewatching.
Should have been up an hour ago, I just finished watching it. Its so damn good too.

giphy.gif

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Uh yeah I legit hard cried during episode 3 wtf. I was not prepared for that AT ALL. Like I knew it could go there, but had no idea how much it'd impact me. Damn.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
Kinnaman deserves credit for his performance here. Another great episode, and even though the comparison is unfair I guess this stands in stark contrast to the very lackluster Wandavision finale.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I kinda don't like the use of contemporary music in the show. They pick the most obvious choices, it's like they're beating the scene over my head.

I wish they had done something with Aleida last season instead of just casting her out into the wind. I gotta wonder how did she even manage to become an engineer, she was left homeless and alone, without anybody to care for her.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Kinnaman deserves credit for his performance here. Another great episode, and even though the comparison is unfair I guess this stands in stark contrast to the very lackluster Wandavision finale.

They'll put him forward for some awards for this. Maybe an Emmy.
Honestly I didn't think much of his acting because of Suicide Squad but he did so well here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Holy shit this episode. The entire picking Annapolis thing was handled great, but the final scene was absolutely incredible.

Should have been up an hour ago, I just finished watching it. Its so damn good too.

giphy.gif

Yep, that's about perfect. I was at the edge of my seat the entire time, and my eyes got moist for some reason.

Also, I should add that I love when characters in stories are intelligent. It's so common for characters (especially antagonists) to be dumb so that the plot can move foward, so a character actually being competent can feel refreshing. General Bradford did exactly what you'd expect someone in his position would do. He thought about the problem and found a very possible explanation for why it was happening.

Also, did I mentioned the scene with the Baldwins already? Goddamn it I'm recovering.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the episode 15 minutes ago and just now managed to get myself all calm and collected again.

Fuck man, that scene with the Baldwins had tears rolling down my cheeks the whole fucking time.
Ten years of holding in grief and guilt without even taking about it to your spouse, just wanting for things to go back to normal, and then just go off on your child for all the wrong reasons. Then the child having to take the role of the adult in the room till the grownups get their shit back together and they finally talk about it, let it all out. Fuck...

I ain't a parent but I felt that scene in my soul.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Finished the episode 15 minutes ago and just now managed to get myself all calm and collected again.

Fuck man, that scene with the Baldwins had tears rolling down my cheeks the whole fucking time.
Ten years of holding in grief and guilt without even taking about it to your spouse, just wanting for things to go back to normal, and then just go off on your child for all the wrong reasons. Then the child having to take the role of the adult in the room till the grownups get their shit back together and they finally talk about it, let it all out. Fuck...

I ain't a parent but I felt that scene in my soul.
100%. I'm not a parent either, but damn if they didn't make that scene relatable for all the same reasons. idk what to spoiler tag either, but I will just in case:

They did an absolutely amazing job in going through the entire gamut of emotions with the Baldwins, and I love the fact that Karen came to terms with Kelly wanting to go to Annapolis before talking it over with Ed. It added so much power to the next scene because it allowed us to focus on Ed's grief and why it manifested in anger, sadness and fear vs having to deal with both of theirs at the same time. I usually don't cry during scenes, but I was balling haha.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you'd have told me 2 years ago that a performance from Joel Kinnaman was going to make me well up, I'd have laughed in your stupid face. Well...

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
100%. I'm not a parent either, but damn if they didn't make that scene relatable for all the same reasons. idk what to spoiler tag either, but I will just in case:

They did an absolutely amazing job in going through the entire gamut of emotions with the Baldwins, and I love the fact that Karen came to terms with Kelly wanting to go to Annapolis before talking it over with Ed. It added so much power to the next scene because it allowed us to focus on Ed's grief and why it manifested in anger, sadness and fear vs having to deal with both of theirs at the same time. I usually don't cry during scenes, but I was balling haha.

Indeed, the entire journey was superbly executed. It was amazing to see Karen come into terms with it smoothly. There was that first reaction, then the talk with Tracy and that final heart to heart. It was like a river calmly flowing downhill. And then with Ed was like a dam breaking open. All that loss and grief came out all at once. Everything was happening so fast, it all felt desperate and heart-wrenching. Karen trying to hold Ed back and Kelly was incredibly level headed.

Just a superb scene all around. And if I'm honest I didn't expect that level of drama from this series, especially not in the third episode of the season. There were a lot of great moments and relationships in the first season, but this felt another level entirely. And if anything happens to Kelly heads will roll!

Jul 4, 2018
Really liked the most recent episode, more grounded in the characters and events rather than space exploration which is a nice change up every few episodes or so.