• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you take the mystery food for a year deal?

• Yes

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 61.8%
  • Maybe if the savings were a little more

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Basically all the food you buy is a mystery. If you buy bread you get a random brand and a random kind. If you buy fish it's a random kind of fish, etc. You can buy something specific like ketchup but it's a random brand. You can go to restaurants or order take-out but you'll always get a random item off the menu. In exchange, everything costs half as much as it would (but you don't know the starting price, because you get charged for whatever ends up being randomly selected, minus half.) Absolutely no take-backs. Do you accept this year-long deal with food?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Nope. I'm less concerned about cost than I am taste. If you asked me when I was in college, hell yes I would do that. Haha. I think a lot of it will depend on your current economic situation most likely.

Oct 28, 2017
Might be a fun novelty for awhile, probably would not be so fun when you try to get sandwich stuff so you can have easy lunch during the week and wind up with pumpernickel and olive loaf.
I'm resilient, I'll survive! Besides I can always buy the cheapest in the hopes of getting something expensive that I would never buy because of the price, God Brain!

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Unfortunately I think I'm too picky of an eater to put up with this.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Since the items will still be in the category I want that sounds good to me.
Would be more questionable if it was like "You buy bananas but get a jar of mayo instead"

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I don't think I'd be able to do it. I have Crohn's Disease and there are types of certain foods that rip through my digestive system like shards of glass. I'm forced to be at least a little picky and specific with the types of things I buy.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I'm resilient, I'll survive! Besides I can always buy the cheapest in the hopes of getting something expensive that I would never buy because of the price, God Brain!
This assumes you pay half price of the cheap thing you wanted, but I understood this to mean you'd simply pay half price for the really expensive thing you'd have never bought in the first place. Which again, might be fun every once in a while but would really suck when you got saffron when you just wanted salt.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It'd be fun for maybe a month, I guess. Like living in a world where Chopped happens every day

As long as none of the mystery food was meat because well... yea, then I'm starving

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm way too picky and not particularly broke, so it's an easy pass from me.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Pass. Food cost is a low part of my life and I like the stuff I like. Even down to prefering certain regions/countries for bananas.

Oct 28, 2017
But you have to pay the price of what you end up getting (minus half) so you can't try to cheese with a cheaper option.
Damnit, that's actually a good check.
This assumes you pay half price of the cheap thing you wanted, but I understood this to mean you'd simply pay half price for the really expensive thing you'd have never bought in the first place. Which again, might be fun every once in a while but would really suck when you got saffron when you just wanted salt.
Hmm, do I want to pay for the $15-$50 (I think that's the range) dollars for Lobster? Now I actually have to think it through.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Is the food safe in general though? Like I'm not going to get super low cost food randomly that will give me food poisoning cause the brand isn't going through the same quality checks as other because of region specific laws?
Oh the part of being charged whatever it costs but half kind of ruins this.
So nope. Cause then you're not even sure if you're saving. Cause you might want to buy steak and then get randomly charged for kobe steak prices. If it was get charged half what you tried to buy that would be worth considering.

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the motivation. If it's about making me try different things, then sure. If it's aim is, say, promoting veganism or something, and will switch all meat, fish, dairy and eggs with plant-based alternatives then hell no.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I spend like $50 a month on food... so on one hand that's not saving me much. On the other hand, the chances of the "mystery food" being better (potentially WAY better) than what I'm currently getting by with are pretty dang high. So yes, absolutely.

But you have to pay the price of what you end up getting (minus half) so you can't try to cheese with a cheaper option.
Ok, but then what if we can't afford it? We just get to reroll, or...?

Last edited: