• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you work as a Ghostbuster?

• Yes

Votes: 86 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 84 49.4%

• Total voters

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that being a Ghostbuster was a first responder job like EMS, Fire, Police, would you work as a Ghostbuster if the opportunity arose?
  • You'd work 1 day on, 3 days off
  • Pension after 20 years
  • Good health insurance
The primary downside being workplace injury, and potential health concerns from ectoplasm when you are older or even death/being teleported to another demension. Would you consider this a good career or would you pass? You can assume that promotions are given after certain milestones and certifications are completed.

Would you do it? đź‘»

77_Ghostbusters.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Movie ghosts or Cartoon ghosts?

Cause the cartoon ghosts were some real Gs. Movie ghosts were 95% annoying.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first instinct was no but on second thought... I'd prob take a pay cut to live as a Ghostbuster for a year or so as long as I can go back to my normal job after

I would LOVE to hunt ghosts

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
New York State. Pay would scale appropriately based on location/municipality. Look at Fire/Police figures for the City and they would be comparable to that. There would also be potential for OT as well.
Upstate kinda sucks. Source: I'm from Binghamton and went to school in Buffalo.
Make it 120k/yr in Brooklyn and I'm in

Oct 27, 2017
Ghostbusting as a government job is completely antithetical to the creation of the Ghostbusters in the first place, though. It would be more like a private trade salary, like plumbing.

Not sure they'd be too keen on unionization though either

rubbish_opinions

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 8, 2021
on one hand 42k per year in NY is not enough to go by
but on the other hand ghosts do not exist so you wouldn't have to work at all and you could take up some kind of WFH gig full time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Pair that with a part-time not-spooky job and it could be a nice gig

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Movie ghosts or Cartoon ghosts?

Cause the cartoon ghosts were some real Gs. Movie ghosts were 95% annoying.
I need more details too. Are we talking Warhammer 40K type "ghosts" who are looking for some real smoke, or just chill dudes hanging out having a laugh scaring little kids?

I'm not getting liquidated for some cop ass pension plan.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I need more details too. Are we talking Warhammer 40K type "ghosts" who are looking for some real smoke, or just chill dudes hanging out having a laugh scaring little kids?

I'm not getting liquidated for some cop ass pension plan.

Legit Ghostbusters IP ghosts

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah like people need to realize that your day could look anything like catching Slimer or the Librarian…all the way to the Statue of Liberty. The only difference being that it would scale to real life where if shit hit the fan more municipalities would get involved. It wouldn't just be 4 people responding.

Dec 30, 2020
Nah. Besides, given America's history, most "real life" ghosts would likely be entirely justified to haunt the shit out of people.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
I'd do that shit for free. My soul may get corrupted? I may get dragged to hell or some hell dimension by a haunted 17th century Lute? Giant Burger King may destroy half the city and kill me? Sign me up.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Please don't say you'll work for free ffs. We are in the Ghostbusters Union.

Normally I am pro-union but I would take the absolute minimum salary and offset my wages by Ubering and doing DoorDash on my off days. Yes I would wear my Ghostbuster uniform. Yes I will take a picture for a five star review.

If there was a strike, I'd cross that fucking picket line and be a scab for the chance to go to hell and possibly die over some haunted painting or whatever bullshit is going on. Let's fucking go.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno...I am carrying a unlicensed nuclear reactor on my back

Edit: Wait is the equipment licensed and maintained? Cause that makes a BIG difference

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I am pro-union but I would take the absolute minimum salary and offset my wages by Ubering and doing DoorDash on my off days. Yes I would wear my Ghostbuster uniform. Yes I will take a picture for a five star review.

If there was a strike, I'd cross that fucking picket line and be a scab for the chance to go to hell and possibly die over some haunted painting or whatever bullshit is going on. Let's fucking go.

There we go! Lol

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Plot armor doesn't exist in real life so I imagine the fatality or serious injury rate would be extremely high.

Realistically there'd be an entire branch of the federal government to handle this kind of thing. Probably kind of a blend between the game "Control" and Ghostbusters. Maybe that'd be okay.