• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they changed something that's not a rule
It absolutely is. I know because there was a very similar situation in last year's DFB Pokal with Dortmund. They were playing against Paderborn and Haaland received a ball that was just barely touched by a Paderborn defender trying to intercept it. The touch was so slight that it wasn't even really visible in the replay but due to Corona the ref heard the contact and gave the goal instead of ruling it offside. If a defender actively tries to play the ball and touches it, it cannot be offside.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That makes no sense: the offisde precedes the defender touching the ball and you have to call the first offence, not the second. Apparently the ref told Busquets that Eric went for the ball and that invalidates the offside, if that were true the defenders just can't do their jobs, they can't never go for the ball because then offsides would disappear. It goes against any logic. Nope, I refuse to believe that's a thing.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely is. I know because there was a very similar situation in last year's DFB Pokal with Dortmund. They were playing against Paderborn and Haaland received a ball that was just barely touched by a Paderborn defender trying to intercept it. The touch was so slight that it wasn't even really visible in the replay but due to Corona the ref heard the contact and gave the goal instead of ruling it offside. If a defender actively tries to play the ball and touches it, it cannot be offside.
Even so Mbappe is interfering with the flow of play which is offside as well according to the rules. Anyways all this can be easily fixed by removing such a stupid rule as allowing a reflection by an opponent to invalidate an offside. That doesn't even happen in video games.

Anyways marca is already calling for bezema to win the balon d'or, what a disgrace that rag newspaper is. Sadly they are influential so I guess benzema is going to win it simply because real madrid wants another of their players to win it..

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
That makes no sense: the offisde precedes the defender touching the ball and you have to call the first offence, not the second. Apparently the ref told Busquets that Eric went for the ball and that invalidates the offside, if that were true the defenders just can't do their jobs, they can't never go for the ball because then offsides would disappear. It goes against any logic. Nope, I refuse to believe that's a thing.
Even so Mbappe is interfering with the flow of play which is offside as well according to the rules. Anyways all this can be easily fixed by removing such a stupid rule as allowing a reflection by an opponent to invalidate an offside. That doesn't even happen in video games.

Anyways marca is already calling for bezema to win the balon d'or, what a disgrace that rag newspaper is. Sadly they are influential so I guess benzema is going to win it..
I'm not saying that the rule is good or should stand like this but apparently it is a rule. Here's a source for the aforementioned situation with Haaland.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Ole would play Pogba next to McTominay or Fred and wonder why he can't unlock Pogba the same way France does.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Even so Mbappe is interfering with the flow of play which is offside as well according to the rules. Anyways all this can be easily fixed by removing such a stupid rule as allowing a reflection by an opponent to invalidate an offside.

The rule, as per IFAB:
The IFAB said:
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage [from his offside position], unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.
Src: https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/offside/#offside-offence

The rule has been implemented to favor goal-scoring opportunities. You can find it wrong, and I would agree.

Also, Mbappe was not interfering the flow of play by just standing somewhere. He was meters away from the defender who tried to play the ball, so it wasn't a duel or a tackle.

Consider a clearer example: A striker is high up the pitch because he is still coming back from the previous attack. One of his defenders hoofs the ball up the field in the general direction of the striker. As long as he does not make any serious attempt at playing the ball (so, touching it or going into a duel with an opponent who wants to play it) the ref does not award an offside. Instead all other player can keep playing and chasing the ball. This happens in basically every football match.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The rule, as per IFAB:

Src: https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/offside/#offside-offence

The rule has been implemented to favor goal-scoring opportunities. You can find it wrong, and I would agree.

Also, Mbappe was not interfering the flow of play by just standing somewhere. He was meters away from the defender who tried to play the ball, so it wasn't a duel or a tackle.

Consider a clearer example: A striker is high up the pitch because he is still coming back from the previous attack. One of his defenders hoofs the ball up the field in the general direction of the striker. As long as he does not make any serious attempt at playing the ball (so, touching it or going into a duel with an opponent who wants to play it) the ref does not award an offside. Instead all other player can keep playing and chasing the ball. This happens in basically every football match.
Well, the difference here is that Mbappe was chasing the ball since the beginning when Theo passes into Mbappe's direction. Whether a defender interrupts the pass or not, it doesn't matter. In fact, it's the defender's job to interrupt it, or else what should he be doing, let the ball pass straight to Mbappe?

On every other occasion that I've seen before, that was offside.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
In fact, it's the defender's job to interrupt it, or else what should he be doing, let the ball pass straight to Mbappe?
Yes, per the current rules either let it go to Mbappe or, when you play it, better play it so that you have the ball in your posession.

Again this favors attackers and that is the intent of the rule. It is still the current rule though (since 2013)

Muddy Water

Nov 13, 2017
Ole would play Pogba next to McTominay or Fred and wonder why he can't unlock Pogba the same way France does.
I don't think there's a really large gap between how Pogba plays for France versus for United. He dominates for United too. His problem has always been consistency. That doesn't become so apparent in a tournament as much as it does in a league. The game against Switzerland that knocked France out of the Euros was a very familiar Pogba game for me as a United fan. Moments of brilliance undercut by a defensive lapse at a crucial point that cost his team the match.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a really large gap between how Pogba plays for France versus for United. He dominates for United too. His problem has always been consistency. That doesn't become so apparent in a tournament as much as it does in a league. The game against Switzerland that knocked France out of the Euros was a very familiar Pogba game for me as a United fan. Moments of brilliance undercut by a defensive lapse at a crucial point that cost his team the match.

Pogba wants to play a more offensive minded game. Not too dissimilar to how Bruno plays. The Swiss game where Pogba was mobbed the moment he received a bad pass from Benzema, isn't a defensive lapse, and he isn't at fault for the goal either. The whole French defence and most of the midfield were parked in France's half, and the Swiss took the ball off of him at the half way line. Bruno losses the ball all the time as well, and no one even bats an eye to that.

He is not required to baby sit what should be depth players when he plays for France, nor is he expected to handle the defensive responsibilities that Ole places on him by playing in a pivot with McTominay or Fred. Now that Rashford is coming back, our midfield issues are going to be a headache. Playing Pogba with either of McFred is a recipe for disaster, and Ole for some reason is adverse to starting Matic this season.

Also, Varane is probably missing the Leicester game, so we're probably seeing Bailly and Lindelof on Saturday. I remember what happened the last time Bailly started against Leicester City 😔

Last edited:

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Lukaku against Russia, same situation, goal granted because the Russian defender touch the ball.
www.goal.com

Euro 2020 Explainer: Why was Romelu Lukaku's goal against Russia not ruled offside? | Goal.com

Lukaku scored two goals in Belgium's Euro opener against Russia on Saturday....
47a83c560e2f35dd4185e3e7e98833b452898a93.jpg

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ableist Rhetoric
A RM or Barcelona player has won the award for the last 11 years. Was hoping for that trend to end this year but that doesnt seem to be the case. RM is pushing hard for Benzema to win it.
Benzema? FOH with that crap. Him winning it, or the NPC at Chelsea is a joke. He's not getting top 3, BDor will between Lewy and the midget that won the might dollarstore Euros after the 4th attempt in 6 years. The most legendary feat.

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
Pogba wants to play a more offensive minded game. Not too dissimilar to how Bruno plays. The Swiss game where Pogba was mobbed the moment he received a bad pass from Benzema, isn't a defensive lapse, and he isn't at fault for the goal either. The whole French defence and most of the midfield were parked in France's half, and the Swiss took the ball off of him at the half way line. Bruno losses the ball all the time as well, and no one even bats an eye to that.

He is not required to baby sit what should be depth players when he plays for France, nor is he expected to handle the defensive responsibilities that Ole places on him by playing in a pivot with McTominay or Fred. Now that Rashford is coming back, our midfield issues are going to be a headache. Playing Pogba with either of McFred is a recipe for disaster, and Ole for some reason is adverse to starting Matic this season.

Also, Varane is probably missing the Leicester game, so we're probably seeing Bailly and Lindelof on Saturday. I remember what happened the last time Bailly started against Leicester City 😔
Bruno losing the ball is fine and expected because that's his role to do risky passes.

Pogba isn't as important as Bruno if he can't cut it at cm for us then he has no place really. If we had someone like a younger Matic or Tchouameni/Caqueret he would do better i feel. Matic can't even last 90 minutes and if you have to sub him off after 60 mins or w/e every game then that's not a good starting option. I think he'll start against specific opposition but can't be relied upon week in and out as last season showed where there were some games he would drop a lot in terms of performances. There are games where you need energy, mobility and physicality and that's what McFred's strengths are, though their start this season hasn't been good so far.

We keep shoehorning to start Pogba and that does more harm than good for us if you ask me. Ideally Fred + Pogba pivot should work but for some reason it doesn't. That Sevilla game by those 2 was a great midfield performance but is never replicated.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Benzema winning the ballon d'or would be something else. Kinda like modric but in modric's case you could at least argue that he was the best player in his position that year, which is something i guess? But benzema isnt even that and the gap between him and lewandowsky is so astronomically huge that i canr believe someone is seriously making the case for benzema.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Bruno losing the ball is fine and expected because that's his role to do risky passes.

Pogba isn't as important as Bruno if he can't cut it at cm for us then he has no place really. If we had someone like a younger Matic or Tchouameni/Caqueret he would do better i feel. Matic can't even last 90 minutes and if you have to sub him off after 60 mins or w/e every game then that's not a good starting option. I think he'll start against specific opposition but can't be relied upon week in and out as last season showed where there were some games he would drop a lot in terms of performances. There are games where you need energy, mobility and physicality and that's what McFred's strengths are, though their start this season hasn't been good so far.

We keep shoehorning to start Pogba and that does more harm than good for us if you ask me. Ideally Fred + Pogba pivot should work but for some reason it doesn't. That Sevilla game by those 2 was a great midfield performance but is never replicated.

Fred isn't a DM that's why it doesn't work. Pogba isn't the one being shoehorned into a position, it's McFred. Pogba can play the 10 and 8. He does need a solid 6 beside him to do the defensive work if he's played as an 8. That's why he works great with Matic (Matic can give you a game a week). During the 18/19 season when Pogba played the Bruno role, and Herrera played the 8, and Matic was the DM, it resulted in Pogba's finest statistical season ever.

Honestly, I love Sancho and I'm really happy he's here, but I'm beginning to think it was foolish on Ole and the board to not fix the midfield problem before splashing £70M on a right winger we're currently barely using (or being used on the wing he wasn't bought to play). Sancho should have already been a Inited player, and this season should have seen Varane and a solid CDM brought to the club.

Also, maybe it's time to play 3 at the back to make up for our midfield issue, and sacrifice one of the attacking players (once Maguire and Varane are healthy). There wouldn't be a need for two holding midfielders if that switch was made tactically. We are dropping points and losing games due to the midfield.

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
Fred isn't a DM that's why it doesn't work. Pogba isn't the one being shoehorned into a position, it's McFred. Pogba can play the 10 and 8. He does need a solid 6 beside him to do the defensive work if he's played as an 8. That's why he works great with Matic. During the 18/19 season when Pogba played the Bruno role, and Herrera played the 8, and Matic was the DM, it resulted in Pogba's finest statistical season ever.

Honestly, I love Sancho and I'm really happy he's here, but I'm beginning to think it was foolish on Ole and the board to not fix the midfield problem before splashing £70M on a right winger we're currently barely using (or being used on the wing he wasn't bought to play). Sancho should have already been a Inited player, and this season should have seen Varane and a solid CDM brought to the club.
Yes Fred's not a DM, he's a b2b like Scott. Fred is also a ball winner (The only one we have) and a great player at anticipating and breaking up play. He also is a great presser. His physicality lets him down at times and this season he has been a bit below his standards. I'm well aware wrt to that interim role he had and that's sort of what Ole tried to replicate with switching him to that LCM/LCAM role for us this season where we were a pseudo-433 as well but that won't be the norm when Rashford is back and honestly we miss his pace there. Again the issue with Matic is how much his legs can allow him to play.

As for shoehorning McFred, I disagree with that take. I can understand why we're playing them and why we need their profile but they do need to step up, Scott in particular as Fred is often left isolated.

Yes we really should've signed a CM either this season or last season when Sancho wasn't happening but the board dicked around and now we have to salvage the midfield with what we have. There were reports Ole and Murtough both were pushing to sign a midfielder after Varane but the board wasn't budging and honestly Sancho and Varane for 107m is crazy business though, can't fault that. Ronaldo was outside of the budget. I was really hoping we would go for Tchouameni in the last week when Monaco was out of CL as that would further drop his price.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping we would go for Tchouameni in the last week when Monaco was out of CL as that would further drop his price.

He looked really good besides Pogba on the national team, and Pogba constantly gushes about him. Hopefully the board is seeing just how much of a liability to winning our midfield weaknesses have become.

I'd be perfectly fine with even a stop-gap solution in January and a permanent fix in the summer. Hell, Bruno came in a January transfer, so hopefully the scouts are doing what they're paid for and putting together some targets. I just feel that Ole has his mind set on Rice and won't consider any other targets but him until it become clear we can't get him. So we're going to have to just deal with it till the summer.

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
He looked really good besides Pogba on the national team, and Pogba constantly gushes about him. Hopefully the board is seeing just how much of a liability to winning our midfield weaknesses have become.

I'd be perfectly fine with even a stop-gap solution in January and a permanent fix in the summer. Hell, Bruno came in a January transfer, so hopefully the scouts are doing what they're paid for and putting together some targets. I just feel that Ole has his mind set on Rice and won't consider any other targets but him until it become clear we can't get him. So we're going to have to just deal with it till the summer.
Yeah i'm hoping we do something in January. Brozovic is a great stop-gap but I would prefer Tchouameni or Caqueret. Tchouameni's profile is the natural fit for us and he is considered an alternative -- rather we have an interest in him but not as strong an interest like we have towards Rice. Though there were encouraging reports after the window that we were looking at alternatives to Rice so lets see what happens in January. Hopefully we can get through post-international break on a good streak though.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
We sure love our draws. Remember when Mourinho led us on a historical undefeated run, and took us from 6th all the way to still 6th during it? Ah, good times.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017

The Lampard/Redknapp one perhaps? Considering they're related to each other as well.

Good answers.

I got wondering since Eiður Guðjohnsen sons played for Iceland two days ago and one of them scored, he plays for Real Madrid B and is in the Champion League squad. Eiðurs father has 73 caps for Iceland and played for Anderlecht, Lokeren and Bordeaux. Won the Belgian division 3 times, top goalscorer in the league one time and got to the finals of the UEFA and Cup Winners Cup.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lucas and his-then GF got in a physical altercation with one another 5 years ago. Judge ordered them for 30 days community service and both could not see each other for 6 months. They then immediately go on a honeymoon together and ignore the judge's order. Now, the court of Madrid is looking to sentence Lucas for up to a year in prison for ignoring the judge's orders.

There will be some hearing this month where he has to be in Madrid. Bayern was also unaware about this until about a month or so ago. I.. don't even know what to say.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Good answers.

I got wondering since Eiður Guðjohnsen sons played for Iceland two days ago and one of them scored, he plays for Real Madrid B and is in the Champion League squad. Eiðurs father has 73 caps for Iceland and played for Anderlecht, Lokeren and Bordeaux. Won the Belgian division 3 times, top goalscorer in the league one time and got to the finals of the UEFA and Cup Winners Cup.

Norway also has a pretty crazy father-son thing going on. Haaland, Sørloth, Berg and Thorstvedt senior all played together on the national team in 94, in March, their four sons played together on the national team too.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Lucas and his-then GF got in a physical altercation with one another 5 years ago. Judge ordered them for 30 days community service and both could not see each other for 6 months. They then immediately go on a honeymoon together and ignore the judge's order. Now, the court of Madrid is looking to sentence Lucas for up to a year in prison for ignoring the judge's orders.

There will be some hearing this month where he has to be in Madrid. Bayern was also unaware about this until about a month or so ago. I.. don't even know what to say.
Huh............. this sounds weird from all sides.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
www.kicker.de

Neustart für die Super League? Klubs lassen mit neuem Plan nicht locker

Das Projekt für eine europäische Super League ist im Frühjahr krachend gescheitert. Doch drei Vereine lassen nicht locker und haben entgegen aller Bedenken neue Pläne.

Super League: Neustart ohne ständige Mitglieder geplant

Die Super League schien im Frühjahr bereits gescheitert zu sein – zu groß waren die Proteste von Fans und Politik. Doch jetzt arbeiten die Fußballclubs an einem Neustart - ohne ständige Mitglieder.

here we go again...

DeepL:

The Super League seemed to have failed in the spring - the protests from fans and politicians were too great. But now the soccer clubs are working on a new start.

The Super League, which failed in the spring due to protests from politicians and fans and in which top European soccer clubs wanted to organize themselves, is working on a new start. The organization says it is addressing fans' concerns: the new league will not have permanent members but should be "100 percent open." A Super League concept paper obtained by WirtschaftsWoche says: "Therefore, we commit that the format of the proposed European Super League will abolish the concept of 'permanent members' and be open to European clubs."

The proposed new league sees itself as an alternative to the Champions League and is currently backed by Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Juventus Turin. It wants to be ready as soon as the European Court of Justice (ECJ) rules on the Uefa competition case. A ruling is expected next summer.

A Super League with 20 teams and a second league with also 20 teams, for which all clubs could qualify freely, would be possible, for example, it is said. The Super League is wooing spectators with its own fan charter. Fans are to get subsidies to travel to away games. At the final match, 70 percent of the seats are to be reserved for fans of the finalists. Prices are to be limited to a maximum for half of the fan tickets.

The league wants to break the supremacy of Uefa, which is both regulator and sole organizer of tournaments in European soccer. In other sports, such as ice skating and basketball, the ECJ has ruled such a monopoly illegal. The Super League expects the judges in Luxembourg to rule the same way on soccer. Behind the scenes, significantly more clubs have expressed interest in the project than has been made public, he said. "We see interest from clubs to cooperate with us as soon as the ECJ has clarified the legal basis," Super League says.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Quite looking forward to the FA Cup tomorrow. First time in a while we(Grimsby Town) have been on telly(albeit the red button on BBC) but I think that's 'cos Bromsgrove Sporting are the lowest ranked team left in the competition. Should be a decent payout for them whichever way the game goes. Hope Town put on a decent performance as we've had a really good run in the National League(top!) since the start of the season.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Son and Gil tested positive for covid. So theyre gone probably at least 3 games. Romero Lo Celso & Sanchez probably won't play because of international duties. Kane has been invisible. St James gonna be wild as theyre stoked for new ownership.

I hate international breaks. Spurs always seem to get fucked by them. Gonna be a miserable weekend i feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.