• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Horrible, unconvincing, second best for almost the entire second half, but a win is a win. Fair play to Wolves, they've given us by far the toughest game at Anfield this season

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We didn't get one decision out there today from the Ref. He got the handball wrong and the offside got overturned. Then second half he gives everything there way including Origi getting shoved into the hoardings at the end there.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
We didn't get one decision out there today from the Ref. He got the handball wrong and the offside got overturned. Then second half he gives everything there way including Origi getting shoved into the hoardings at the end there.
Anthony Taylor of Manchester who supports *checks notes* Altrincham

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No point in complaining- a team short of most of its impact players, two days after turning the champions over, gave a performance to be proud of.

Stout defensive performance, heartstopping up front, and only walking away from the home of the champions-elect without points by the most slender of margins. Top marks to the boys, result be damned.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No point in complaining- a team short of most of its impact players, two days after turning the champions over, gave a performance to be proud of.

Stout defensive performance, heartstopping up front, and only walking away from the home of the champions-elect without points by the most slender of margins. Top marks to the boys, result be damned.
If that's your team fair play. Hardest game we've had at Anfield all calendar year and a draw would of been a fair result.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't agree with souness there about changing the offside rule to where if any part of your body is onside (so your heel could be onside but the rest of your body is offside) then that's okay. You'll still get the same arguments over a line being drawn.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what language I speak has anything to do with the post, so I'll just put it down as you being condescending and just ignore you from now on.

ae235

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with souness there about changing the offside rule to where if any part of your body is onside (so your heel could be onside but the rest of your body is offside) then that's okay. You'll still get the same arguments over a line being drawn.
I feel like the priority should be to allow goals, rather to chalk them off- the current system seems like it's geared to try and reduce the amount of scoring.

The advantage of Souness's system is that a player in the position he describes would be getting a genuine advantage, whereas Jonny is receiving no additional advantage from being two blades of grass ahead. Offside is designed to prevent something that is absolutely not present in these marginal calls.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't give a toss about marginal offside calls, the game isn't poorer if someone is found to be offisde on a freeze frame. With a few notable exceptions, it was utilised well in the world cup and added more goals. In the pl it's just a buzz kill.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the priority should be to allow goals, rather to chalk them off- the current system seems like it's geared to try and reduce the amount of scoring.

The advantage of Souness's system is that a player in the position he describes would be getting a genuine advantage, whereas Jonny is receiving no additional advantage from being two blades of grass ahead. Offside is designed to prevent something that is absolutely not present in these marginal calls.
Yeah the current system 100 percent punishes the forward. We've had it as I mentioned before with Firmino's armpit and Mane's arsecheek so I've felt aggrieved however It is black and white, so you deal with it despite feeling annoyed.

Where do you draw the line in souness' system though, like I said technically you could be played onside with your heel but then you have a player who is literally a full stride ahead of the last player. You have to come up with something but we will still be arguing over where the line will be. It's really difficult. What about if we just don't draw a line, like quickly review it and if it looks roughly level then give it? The time it takes only heightens people's frustrations.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the current system 100 percent punishes the forward. We've had it as I mentioned before with Firmino's armpit and Mane's arsecheek so I've felt aggrieved however It is black and white, so you deal with it despite feeling annoyed.

Where do you draw the line in souness' system though, like I said technically you could be played onside with your heel but then you have a player who is literally a full stride ahead of the last player. You have to come up with something but we will still be arguing over where the line will be. It's really difficult. What about if we just don't draw a line, like quickly review it and if it looks roughly level then give it? The time it takes only heightens people's frustrations.

If we had that system, we'd then get to the point of referees giving decisions extremely quickly only to be criticised afterwards for not looking at things thoroughly. At least now, it takes time, but gets there (even if it seems harsh).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
What about if we just don't draw a line, like quickly review it and if it looks roughly level then give it? The time it takes only heightens people's frustrations.
This has been my exact suggestion for weeks. Freeze frame. Is it off or not. Use both the VAR cunts and if they both agree that it's off then its off. If not then it's not. You have 20 seconds to decide. No lines, no pissing around. If you have to get a fucking tape measure out then it's too close.

The reason that level of accuracy works for GDS or hawkeye is because its a ball and its easy to calculate down to the mm with high framerate cameras that are NOT used for the broadcast feed.

Offside is designed to stop goal hanging and people being a yard offside. Not stopping people being an ear offside.

New rules for next season, every must clip their toenails before kickoff to make sure they are less likely to be offside.

Anyone with big ears will be asked to pin them back, Luke Shaw will be put in a binder to ensure his moobs do not encroach.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Offside is designed to stop goal hanging and people being a yard offside. Not stopping people being an ear offside.
This is exactly right. The entire purpose of the offside rule is being forgotten in a pointless quest for millimetric accuracy.

We had had something like five goals chalked off for marginal offsides this Match of the Day alone. It's game-ruining bullshit.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is exactly right. The entire purpose of the offside rule is being forgotten in a pointless quest for millimetric accuracy.

We had had something like five goals chalked off for marginal offsides this Match of the Day alone. It's game-ruining bullshit.
Yeah, agreed. Some of these calls were bullshit. And they took too long, ruining the pace of the game.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Sad that Neto's first league goal was ruled out I'm beginning to really like the kid, loved his wacky arms inflatable man celebration. But jeez, Cutrone not even on the bench? Maybe the rumours he's off back to Italy are true.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Amazing how Wolves has 6 Portuguese dudes and none of them is incredibly shit. A couple of them are pretty young too! Nice selection by Nuno & co.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This has been my exact suggestion for weeks. Freeze frame. Is it off or not. Use both the VAR cunts and if they both agree that it's off then its off. If not then it's not. You have 20 seconds to decide. No lines, no pissing around. If you have to get a fucking tape measure out then it's too close.

The reason that level of accuracy works for GDS or hawkeye is because its a ball and its easy to calculate down to the mm with high framerate cameras that are NOT used for the broadcast feed.

New rules for next season, every must clip their toenails before kickoff to make sure they are less likely to be offside.

Anyone with big ears will be asked to pin them back, Luke Shaw will be put in a binder to ensure his moobs do not encroach.
The current rule for offside is absurd, the whole "Any part of your body that can score a goal counts". I remember an offside where the attacker was literally running AWAY from the goal, but he was mid-stroke and his heel was offside.

Imagine this:

Only the defender was actually running toward the goal.
What the fuck, man, the offside is about having an advantage for reaching the undefended goal, in athletics they have it right, the chest (The center of mass of the body) is what determines who's ahead of who. It should be the same with the offsides. Right now, if your feet are too large, you are literally at a higher risk of offside. If your body is tilted, maybe your shoulder will be offside. If your head is leaning forward, or your leg is extended in an awkward position. That's not right.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Football's shit anyway

We'll be closer to relegation than 6th after the next round of games..

Status
Not open for further replies.