• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, I couldn't disagree more. Real Madrid has an uncompensated squad with gaps in key positions that compromises its consistency, but the peak of quality that it is able to produce is much higher than City's which is why it won 3 Champions Leagues in a row and City did not. Just look at the match against PSG. City cannot do that against really good teams, they choke.

For instance, yesterday Isco played (Poorly) , but in the Champions League it won't be Isco, it will be Hazard, both Casemiro and Valverde will play, etc.

Don't see it that way. Save for Ramos, our entire defense is past it. Varane, Carvajal, Marcelo don't have it anymore. Don't even wanna imagine what the likes of Sterling/KdB etc. will do to them. Midfield battle we lose, Valverde has helped out but can't do it all on his own.

Attack we still miss that killer instinct to really put games to bed. Benzema scores but needs too many chances. Hazard creates a lot but doesn't score and Rodrygo still too young to count on him. On top of all of that, Pep will tactically outclass Zidane.

Liverpool-Atletico should be interesting. Expecting Leipzig to beat Spurs.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
1*ucbppgEXJWfMW5okCjyHFg.gif

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly getting sick of the same coaches moving from club to club and failing upwards

Reminds me of CEO musical chairs. It's a small group of people exchanging the same high level clubs despite numerous failures everywhere and getting sacked in the end

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
If you believe Ronaldo won 3 CL on his own then you're delusional

Coaching and the team working towards that goal had a bigger impact. Since he left it has been made clear how important to Real's playmaking Benzema is and how the midfield was the strongest force for that team.

CLs are won collectively and in the middle before anything else.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I'm honestly getting sick of the same coaches moving from club to club and failing upwards

Reminds me of CEO musical chairs. It's a small group of people exchanging the same high level clubs despite numerous failures everywhere and getting sacked in the end
How is Everton failing upwards? Ancelotti has managed Real, Milan, Chelsea, Bayern, PSG, Juve...

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Carlo isn't fit to lace Dunc's boots.

Do you want that soft silly tippy tappy Continental shite or do you want the proper grit of four four fucking two?!

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm disappointed we didnt try and get Ancelotti just for this season.

My fear with someone like Arteta or Viera is the team is not good enough and no manager is suddenly going to make our defense good. Arteta loses his first game in charge and people would already start calling for his head.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Don't see it that way. Save for Ramos, our entire defense is past it. Varane, Carvajal, Marcelo don't have it anymore. Don't even wanna imagine what the likes of Sterling/KdB etc. will do to them. Midfield battle we lose, Valverde has helped out but can't do it all on his own.

Attack we still miss that killer instinct to really put games to bed. Benzema scores but needs too many chances. Hazard creates a lot but doesn't score and Rodrygo still too young to count on him. On top of all of that, Pep will tactically outclass Zidane.

Liverpool-Atletico should be interesting. Expecting Leipzig to beat Spurs.
I think Pep is way overrated and Zidane is way underrated in this comparison. Zidane's Real Madrid was the best team in the world for his whole tenure, and they played like a dream, they dominated matches, they had the kind of luck good teams have... Man City has been choking in the CL every year in the meantime.
I think there have been signs this season that Zidane's Real Madrid can be back, the match against PSG, against Real Sociedad, against Sevilla, the quality is there, the peak is very high, what is missing is the consistency because of the gaps we have in the squad. Too many forwards, too few midfielders, the moment one or two of the starting midfielders cannot play there have to be huge compromises, like against Mallorca.

Saying Marcelo doesn't have it is ridiculous, he has been as good as ever so far this season, Mendy is a wall, Varane and Carvajal are in weaker form, but pretending guys in their mid-20s don't have it anymore is a bit exaggerated.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2-3 years ago Ancelotti had a legitimate shot at landing at a big team like Barcelona or City, now he's going to Everton mid-season. How the mighty have fallen. I still believe he was not (mainly) at fault for the chaos at Napoli, the team decided to rebel against the way De Laurentis runs the club and Ancelotti was caught in the middle. Can't work when half of your team literally refuses to play. Should have resigned but I can't fault him for wanting to keep his millions of Euros *shrugs*

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
2-3 years ago Ancelotti had a legitimate shot at landing at a big team like Barcelona or City, now he's going to Everton mid-season. How the mighty have fallen. I still believe he was not (mainly) at fault for the chaos at Napoli, the team decided to rebel against the way De Laurentis runs the club and Ancelotti was caught in the middle. Can't work when half of your team literally refuses to play. Should have resigned but I can't fault him for wanting to keep his millions of Euros *shrugs*

Ancelotti managed Juve, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. The man probably just wants backing at this point.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we're not going with Arteta because he's cheap.. they're obviously hoping he'll be the next Guardiola but it's a massive gamble

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I hope we're not going with Arteta because he's cheap.. they're obviously hoping he'll be the next Guardiola but it's a massive gamble
It is indeed a massive gamble. If Arteta doesn't work out then they're in even bigger trouble than before.

On the other hand, Arteta left a pretty much secure Man City manager seat after Pep leaves, to join this Arsenal. Big risk from both the club and their new manager.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Arteta should be coaching in the Spanish lower leagues learning his trade like Xabi Alonso is doing.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Think the Bayern tenure was more damning than the Napoli tenure. Not a great sign when the players are openly complaining you aren't rigorous enough.

Ancelotti's always done his best work with players who were developed enough to essentially be able to define a tactical gameplan themselves once arranged in the right way. And we're now the better part of a decade away from his best teams; a decade in which the tactical and professional standards for top-level managers have grown substantially.

If you believe in xG, Everton are due for a big positive regression no matter who the manager is, but this seems like another short-term hire that will, in a year, leave Everton no closer to knowing what their long-term plan as a club is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than happy to take the risk with Arteta.

No reason to believe some big-name manager would fix our problems any quicker. Our problems go all the way to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.