• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
After all those departures our squad is looking pretty thin again.
Deschamps seems like a douche then. I love the French national team but that's absurd.
The French team basically collapsed internally at some point (SA WC 2010 ?) because of such issues so I agree in principle, I just don't see Laca being much of an issue in those respects.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
PSG really likes playing with fire, doesn't them?

Is Paris big enough for Neymar's dad and Icardi's wife?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juventus' transfer window was very strange to follow, ultimately. There's tons of quality that arrived: Higuain's loan is ended so he's back, they bought one of the most promising defenders out there (De Ligt), Buffon decided to come back albeit he's now 2nd keeper, plus they've made amazing deals getting Rabiot and Ramsey for free, not forgetting Douglas Costa being back in shape almost feels like a new get as well. Seemingly we were at the window for some players, Icardi most importantly, but we've got a new quality player or two in nearly any role, so those would have felt like good deals long-term but not necessarily needed for this year. The defense turnover is slowly happening (seems like we manage to find a member of the BBC every year or two: first Rugani, now De Ligt hopefully), and in general the club's planning seems to be on point.

At the same time, aside from Cancelo we didn't really have any major player leaving. Mandzukic, Higuain and Dybala all seemed expendable, especially if the Cavani/Neymar/Icardi talks materialized into an actual transfer, but ultimately that did not happen. Half the midfield seemed on the verge of leaving, and yet here they are: in particular Khedira and Matuidi were starters in the 2 matches so far and played pretty well (Khedira's missed easy goal against Napoli aside). With Buffon coming back Perin seemed to be at the door, but again nothing happened, the young talent will now be 3rd keeper.

In short, it seemed like the team was gonna be revolutionized, and not just based on the usual press speculation but actual talks and sheer number of players that arrived as opposed to those who yet had to leave. And yet, here we are, with a team of 25 or so quality players, allowing for a bigger than expected turnover (Sarri will be delighted, at Napoli he had like 13-14 quality players only, and when playing with reserves he'd almost certainly lose points), a lack of revolution ultimately, but also a team that seems stronger than that of season 2018/2019. Let's just hope that the fact some quality players like Dybala will see the field less than prior seasons won't cause headaches in the team.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Llorente at Napoli, ay? Time to burn my Llorente jersey.

(Just kidding, but seeing him at Juve's main rival of these years will feel odd as hell)

Oct 26, 2017
UK
"Freddy was only doing what all the fans constantly do at almost every football club," said Owen. "They believe their club is 10% bigger and their team is 10% better than it actually is.

"This kind of blind delusion is especially true of Newcastle United - which, as I reach for the nearest tin hat, is only a big club in the sense that it has a lot of fans and a big stadium."

Ouch lol.

Grandia

Dec 13, 2017
Nothing against the club itself but I hope every black player that comes to cagliari scores a hattrick in front of their fans

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Then again, Icardi was also best buds with half Inter and Maxi Lopez, we saw how those went.
One is the Technical Manager of the team, the rest wasn't

Also it wasn't Icardi who was the issue, it was what his wife was saying on air at her weekly show

I highly doubt she's going to torpedo his career with Paris since it's a non mandatory purchase « transfert »

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One is the Technical Manager of the team, the rest wasn't

Also it wasn't Icardi who was the issue, it was what his wife was saying on air at her weekly show

I highly doubt she's going to torpedo his career with Paris since it's a non mandatory purchase « transfert »

A couple is two people. Icardi basically had her as an agent, too. If he were uncomfortable with the stuff she's been saying to press and on TV for years, he could have done something about it, instead he played into those plans well throughout the years, constantly waving the "I'm leaving" card despite being a beloved and strong player (and the captain, nonetheless) to get more money. When they pulled this shit last year, Inter got fed up and found a way to get rid of him, without making their direct rivals stronger in the process.

I'm absolutely not an Inter fan but they handled this about as well as it were possible. Marotta was an excellent get for Inter, the dude takes no shit from egomaniac players, if they think they are bigger than the club they're in, that's the fucking door.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
A couple is two people. Icardi basically had her as an agent, too. If he were uncomfortable with the stuff she's been saying to press and on TV for years, he could have done something about it, instead he played into those plans well throughout the years, constantly waving the "I'm leaving" card despite being a beloved and strong player (and the captain, nonetheless) to get more money. When they pulled this shit last year, Inter got fed up and found a way to get rid of him, without making their direct rivals stronger in the process.

I'm absolutely not an Inter fan but they handled this about as well as it were possible. Marotta was an excellent get for Inter, the dude takes no shit from egomaniac players, if they think they are bigger than the club they're in, that's the fucking door.
And he goes to a club that told Neymar to fall in line.

Icardi isn't going to be the biggest star in Paris. He will have to contend with Cavani, Mbappé, Di Maria and Neymar.

If he fails to do so he'll be back with Milan next year and Paris won't have wasted money on him

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I feel Paris did a fantastic mercato. Only second to Turin's (and even then I'm not too sure on some of Turin's choices, especially De Ligt who I think is too young for such an insane transfert and paycheck, he's no Ronaldo/Messi/Mbappe and that's why Barcelona passed on him to avoid locker room issues)

Madrid's is puzzling, Liverpool's non existant, City is « what have you done? », Arsenal's great, Chelsea's fucked (but they couldn't do anything anyway).

Will be an interesting year

RRW

Oct 26, 2017

infographic_website_1120-630px_EN.png

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Saw it earlier, I don't even know what to say. Every line just gets worse from "monkey chants aren't really racist" to "supporters are actually the ones discriminated against here". What the fuck are they on.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Thankfully that whole Brexit nonsense looks like being postponed to well beyond the 31st of October. I was kinda afraid it would mess with my travel to London on the 24th for the EL match.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Any of you resident Londoners have any idea how hard/easy it is to go from the the Luton airport to the city center/Arsenal stadium?

My return trip is easier, I just have to get to Heathrow Airport and I've already seen that the tube/underground connects directly to their terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.