• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Can't really go wrong with The Guardian's Football Weekly, Football Ramble and Totally Football Show. Across those 3 they have episodes covering England and all the top leagues on the continent.

There's also like 3 FPL pods I listen to.. I don't have a problem...
3 fpl ones?

Fuck, I hate just being on shift on a Thursday night when these cunts film the FPL show, let alone choosing to listen to THREE.

I literally listened to my first podcast about a month ago.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I literally listened to my first podcast about a month ago.
I've been non-stop listening to podcasts daily for over a decade at this point. This is like hearing someone say they've never listened to music 😂

My job lets me listen to podcasts all day and I listen to them when I work out too.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I've been non-stop listening to podcasts daily for over a decade at this point. This is like hearing someone say they've never listened to music 😂

My job lets me listen to podcasts all day and I listen to them when I work out too.
Ha. Yeah I've at least known what a podcast was before now, just the name alone sounded a bit wanky and I had no idea who or what to listen to so never bothered. I actually started with one by a couple of woodwork youtubers and from there found the other 3 I've got in my list.

A ton of folk in the uk still wouldn't know what a podcast even was if you asked them.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
A ton of folk in the uk still wouldn't know what a podcast even was if you asked them.
I've been trying to get my Dad to stop listening to TalkSHITE for a long time and get a few Footy pods on his phone. Definite generational gap when it comes to new media like YouTube and podcasts.

Not sure what the percentages are on Millennials that get their entertainment/news from podcasts is but I'd bet it's pretty damn high now.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to get my Dad to stop listening to TalkSHITE for a long time and get a few Footy pods on his phone. Definite generational gap when it comes to new media like YouTube and podcasts.

Not sure what the percentages are on Millennials that get their entertainment/news from podcasts is but I'd bet it's pretty damn high now.
Honestly, most of the people I talk to are around my age and so fall into the millenial bracket. I've never heard anyone mention a podcast at all. Whatever generation is currently a most like 28, yeah that lot probably listen to more. But us 28-40 folks I think you'd be shocked at how low the penetration of podcasts is.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, most of the people I talk to are around my age and so fall into the millenial bracket. I've never heard anyone mention a podcast at all. Whatever generation is currently a most like 28, yeah that lot probably listen to more. But us 28-40 folks I think you'd be shocked at how low the penetration of podcasts is.

I think I know one person who kinda listens to podcasts IRL. Granted, it's not like I asked anyone I know, but it's the only person the term even emerged in discussions, and even he isn't exactly doing it all the time. I guess a lot has to do with which hobbies you follow the most, what country or area you live in and whatnot. I'm not big on podcasts personally but even when I encounter some I'm interested in it's almost certainly in English. I could honestly not mention a single podcast from my country on top of my head, it's much more likely that websites'/blogs'/communities' talk sections are actual streams on Twitch/Youtube/Mixer instead.

And I'm definitely in that age group.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
No EFL clubs since Maidstone in 1992 have gone into liquidation and now we may have two in a week. If this doesn't prompt some drastic rule changes over ownership from the EFL, I don't know what will.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah podcasts seem huge on here, and yet at most IRL I've heard people mentioning clips they've watched on Youtube from h3h3 or Joe Rogan, or they listen to a football podcast. Certainly never ever come across anyone who follows a gaming one for example.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Totally Football Show is good, the only one I listen to regularly. Cox should just start his own podcast though.

As one more data point, the people I know irl are generally aware of podcasts and regular listeners to at least one (I'm 29).

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
No EFL clubs since Maidstone in 1992 have gone into liquidation and now we may have two in a week. If this doesn't prompt some drastic rule changes over ownership from the EFL, I don't know what will.

I think you'll find the invisible hand of capitalism is all we need

My uncle was a huge Bolton fan before he passed away, he would have been devastated to see what has happened to the club now.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
When a team linked to a community leaves, its damn heart breaking. Sucks the soul right out of it. Happened here years ago here with our hockey club.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Can't really go wrong with The Guardian's Football Weekly, Football Ramble and Totally Football Show. Across those 3 they have episodes covering England and all the top leagues on the continent.

There's also like 3 FPL pods I listen to.. I don't have a problem...

Football ramble moving to a daily ~45 min episode has killed it for me, can't keep up with them now, which is a shame because Pete is really funny and a nice break from the more serious Totally Football Show

Yeah those are good too. Barry is starting to get on my nerves though.

Barry is the best thing about the Guardian one!

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Norwich...

g3BFcF.gif

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Haller off the mark on Saturday, Fornals tonight.. oh yeah, and Wilshere's first goal.

psyer

Oct 27, 2017
Football ramble moving to a daily ~45 min episode has killed it for me, can't keep up with them now, which is a shame because Pete is really funny and a nice break from the more serious Totally Football Show

I have come to enjoy Max as the host of Football Weekly and usually enjoying Football Weekly more than the others. I think the core A team of Football Weekly, Max, Barry, Jonathan Wilson, Philippe Auclair, and Nicky Bandini is more informative and entertaining than the others. Too often Totally Football Show has average guest on and not enough of the European Football crew. As for Football Ramble, the comedy from them has gotten a little stale for me over the years. Also, you only need to listen to the Monday and Friday podcast if you want the main Ramble crew. Tuesday is Jules and Andy Brassell. Wednesday is Ramble Meets, Thursday is On the Continent and Saturday is The Blizzard.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible news about Bury, promoted into League 1 just this season and now gone.

Bolton will join them if their sale is not concluded in 14 days. The inequality in football is only going to get worse.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
VAR fucking sucks, Palmeiras scored a goal, half the supporters didnt celebrate because you have to wait for the VAR shitshow... no VAR was called, but you cant be sure of that until the game restarts, so only when Gremio kicked off in the center of the field that the supporters finally celebrated the goal.

And thank god Gremio already scored 2 more goals and are now qualifying for the semis.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sanchez did well in the Serie A a while ago, him alongside Di Natale was a fucking goal machine. Excited about him coming back here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I'll be honest, I work in football broadcasting it, listening to another bunch of cunts making a podcast every damned day would kill me.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I have come to enjoy Max as the host of Football Weekly and usually enjoying Football Weekly more than the others. I think the core A team of Football Weekly, Max, Barry, Jonathan Wilson, Philippe Auclair, and Nicky Bandini is more informative and entertaining than the others. Too often Totally Football Show has average guest on and not enough of the European Football crew. As for Football Ramble, the comedy from them has gotten a little stale for me over the years. Also, you only need to listen to the Monday and Friday podcast if you want the main Ramble crew. Tuesday is Jules and Andy Brassell. Wednesday is Ramble Meets, Thursday is On the Continent and Saturday is The Blizzard.

I agree with you, except for the bit about Max - he's too much of a blokey banter lad to put up with regularly for an entire hour. It was better in the olden days when everyone was just on the Guardian pod and not fractured across two

Yeah I'll be honest, I work in football broadcasting it, listening to another bunch of cunts making a podcast every damned day would kill me.

Yep. I usually use the summer weeks to have a break from football too - but this year they even did regular specials to keep the summer covered!

Good news is that podcasting has gotten so big there is one for basically any interest you have, so is easy to find other ones that are good

If you are only just starting with podcasts I recommend using an app called PocketCasts to listen to them btw, it's not free but is the best one around

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
lol they do. Honestly it'd be weird if they didn't. Also screw your guutenburg podcasts Paganmoon. American podcasts with occasional basketball references are where it's at.
American podcasts about EPL, with basketball references...

I'll take my garblebarble podcast about our c-tier league any day :)

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Why is that better than me just using Spotify?

I can't imagine paying for a podcast app, unless the volume of podcasts you listen to is high or something. Or perhaps you conducting research and analytics for your own podcast. I just use the built in podcast app on iPhone, not great but I listen to so few, it does the job.

Totally football show and Guardian Football weekly are my two Football podcasts, though I generally feel like an alcoholic drinking beer covered by a paper bag when I do...but when you need a drink...

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pocket casts is great, but obviously costs money. I'd go with the iOS podcasts app a million times over Spotify for them though. I listen to a lot of different ones ( not footy related) and it works totally fine. Plus, has good car play integration.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Pocket casts is great, but obviously costs money. I'd go with the iOS podcasts app a million times over Spotify for them though. I listen to a lot of different ones ( not footy related) and it works totally fine. Plus, has good car play integration.
Not got no iFern.

Honestly not had an issue with Spotify but then I've only been listening maybe 6 weeks.

Just can't fathom what a seperate app is going to do for me that I don;t already have.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Nevilles entire family worked at the club and even had a stand named after his dad. His mum only resigned 10 days ago.
Maybe they should have saved Bury instead of spending millions on the class of 92 ego project Salford City.

Stockport, Oldham, Bury, Bolton historic clubs in greater Manchester have been in the shit for a while and the Nevilles have been pumping millions into a plastic club with no history.

Giving players in the conference £4,000 a week

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they should have saved Bury instead of spending millions on the class of 92 ego project Salford City.

Stockport, Oldham, Bury, Bolton historic clubs in greater Manchester have been in the shit for a while and the Nevilles have been pumping millions into a plastic club with no history.

Giving players in the conference £4,000 a week
Maybe the owner of bury, who has a history of buying business for cheap to asset strip it, was never going to sell up at all?

Last edited:

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
VAR fucking sucks, Palmeiras scored a goal, half the supporters didnt celebrate because you have to wait for the VAR shitshow... no VAR was called, but you cant be sure of that until the game restarts, so only when Gremio kicked off in the center of the field that the supporters finally celebrated the goal.

Yeah, the emotional infringement on the post-goal celebration, a time that should be sacred, is what I hate about it most. I'd much rather have 95% accuracy and clean celebrations than 98% and VAR.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the emotional infringement on the post-goal celebration, a time that should be sacred, is what I hate about it most. No increase in accuracy is worth that.
Whats pissing me off more with VAR is that VAR will only overturn the ref if they feel it was a clear and obvious error.

So, a player gets brought down, its clearly a penalty but because the VAR can see why the ref DIDN'T give it (bad angle, might have looked a bit soft, whatever) they won't overturn it. And then they put up a thing saying "No penalty".

They aren't interested in getting decisions right, just in trying to stop clear major fuckups.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Whats pissing me off more with VAR is that VAR will only overturn the ref if they feel it was a clear and obvious error.

So, a player gets brought down, its clearly a penalty but because the VAR can see why the ref DIDN'T give it (bad angle, might have looked a bit soft, whatever) they won't overturn it. And then they put up a thing saying "No penalty".

They aren't interested in getting decisions right, just in trying to stop clear major fuckups.
His Majesty, is that you?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's the part I hate the most. This weekend in Serie A they had something like this which was equally asinine: VAR was looking at whether a specific handball happened inside or outside of the box. The ref missed it, so if it were inside they would have pointed out it's a clear error and given a penalty, but then they chose to let it slide because it was inches away from the box, so not punishing it was not a clear error.

It feels like you need to learn a brand new ruleset for VAR alone. It should make things more clear, more obvious, more fair, but in reality it turns every goal or suspicious situation into a slog, and then they don't even use it in every scenario it would make sense to and still rely on a lot of subjective judgement. Why can't they have an "outside" ref who just watches camera angles, replays and whatnot every time there's a goal, a suspicious situation or whatnot instead of still relying on the ref to actually judge based on more limited info? Why have rules that allow the VAR dudes to ignore serious infractions just because not punishing them wasn't necessarily a "big mistake"?

It's asinine as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.